• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMIC-GAF Presents a Graphic Guide to Spider-Man Comics

Metalmarc

Subbing to read when i finish work, been wanting to know where to Start with Spidey, will look on marvel Unlimited. thanks for this thread will read properly later

Sandfox

Ben Reilly is just Peter with blonde hair. The character should stay dead because there's no place for him in the modern Spider-Man line.

phanphare

Banned
Do yourselves a favour.

3782206-01.jpg

the best

I'm all about Stern's run. it's the only omnibus I own.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I read the first four months of BND, the "Back In Black Cat tradepaper back when Borders Books was closing and selling there books on the cheap , and Clone Conspiracy so I fail to see how I'm a troll.

But if people like immature manchild Spider-Man than more power to you.

Also Slott makes Peter very stupid.
http://spidermancrawlspace.com/wwwb...&t=21250&sid=75c9a5c88500492e134537578d75431f

You literally said you haven't read any of it and tried to argue your opinion was still valid. Now you decide to say you did read some, three threads later.

And that wouldn't even change anything. Reading the first three months of the book a decade ago still means you can't have an opinion on the 9 years that followed. Please, enough, stop with this.

God, I'm still angry Bendis brought Peter back from the dead.

in USM?

Yeesh.

I kinda like to pretend USM ends with #150 or whatever it was. Feels like a neat ending, even if life goes on. Conversely I though Endgame's ending was a neat way for Batman to end, even though I enjoyed Superheavy/Bloom, and thought the same thing about an ending with Morrison's Batman Inc ending : /

From my periphery knowledge of Miles, he seems like a cool character but spends too much time either being roped into events or crossovers, or not being the main draw of his book.

Started reading Ultimate Spider-man, some good stuff so far.

Starting to see some bendis-ism's though. (Repeated Panels and... repetitive question).

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
When Ultimate Pete died, I straight up cried. I read that full series and it's one of the only comics I still follow today (Miles).

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
God, I'm still angry Bendis (Late Ultimate Miles Spoilers)
brought Peter back from the dead.

It was just so completely pointless and stupid. He had the perfect ending, and he ruined it so he could have his cake and eat it too.

Edit: Sandfox Was Right

Sandfox

You guys are straight up posting spoilers in a thread targeted at new readers lol.

On that subject I will say that I wanted
Peter to become the new Ultimate Captain America when he came back since Steve was dead.

Sadist

I completed my personal collection of Ultimate Spider-Man last month, so happy about it. Got the entire Peter Parker run.

Plus I'll always love this

latest

Weird we're getting a sequel now like four years later.

phanphare

Banned
I completed my personal collection of Ultimate Spider-Man last month, so happy about it. Got the entire Peter Parker run.

Plus I'll always love this

latest

Weird we're getting a sequel now like four years later.

I absolutely loved Spider Men. I love pichelli's art.

Christian

how do you mean?

I mean the opinions in the review posts are WRONG.

Naw, I'm just kidding. But I tend to like some of the "okay" comics a lot more, and don't like some of the "great" comics nearly as much. Weird to see such disparate opinions across the board. Except on the real bad stuff.

Sojgat

Anyone have the exact reading order from this omnibus? I'm collecting a few orders for later and I mostly read digitally.

Spectacular 43
Amazing 206
Spectacular 44-61
Amazing 224-237
Amazing Annual 16
Amazing 238-248
Spectacular 85
Amazing Annual 17
Amazing 249-252

Dante316

I just got Marvel Unlimited and been reading ultimate comics Spiderman with Miles Morales..it's Soo good. My first Spiderman comic was actually Superior Spiderman which was super cool too.

DeathPeak

I greatly appreciate this thread. I've actually started reading Amazing from the beginning recently. Looking forward to getting to some of the later/newer stuff. Gonna get into Ultimate too.

zeemumu

Yeah I wasn't big on New Ways to Die either. It was my jumping in point after a long absence from Spider-Man comics and I don't remember why I chose that location specifically. Knowing me at the time, I probably just liked the cover.

Sandfox

Yeah I wasn't big on New Ways to Die either. It was my jumping in point after a long absence from Spider-Man comics and I don't remember why I chose that location specifically. Knowing me at the time, I probably just liked the cover.
New Ways to Die is where I first jumped in and one of my first comics.

I need to reread it at some point.

Jintor

i saw a spiderman's tangled web collection for $150 AU today and was sorely tempted but I couldn't crack it open to see what was inside

tell me of spiderman's tangled web (please)

kunonabi

Ive been pretty disgusted and uninterested in Spider-Man for a long time but i'm currently loving Renew Your Vows. It's totally feels like the Spider-Man I've always to see aside from the super powered MJ. I tried the new Scarlet Spider too but eh. I think i'd rather just read the original stuff again. The clone stuff sucked but I still have soft spot for Ben. I should dig through my old collection again there are couple stories I've been meaning to reread.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
i saw a spiderman's tangled web collection for $150 AU today and was sorely tempted but I couldn't crack it open to see what was inside

tell me of spiderman's tangled web (please)

I have just finished that Omnibus.

Its a series that mostly revolved about the people around the Webswinger in one and done stories, but there are also three arcs. For example the cops, who clean up after Spidey, some of his minor foes, a dude who knows his identity and calls him when he observes a crime and a bunch of minor foes.
Its really good and I really did not expect it to be that good, there is also one issue that revolves around a bar evening with some of his villains that is definitly one of the best Spider-Man stories I have read. It has such an amazing ending that made me so terrified.

If you pick up one recent Spider-Man release. Let it be Tangled Web of Spider-Man.

This thread made me buy the first two Brand New Day ultimate collections. I know it's patchy stuff but it was the run that got me back into American comics, to some extent.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Ultimate Spider-Man is the best thing ever, it's a shame the Miles run has been unable to reach the same heights-- mainly because of constant editorial meddling and forced cross-overs and changes to the status quo.

Mr. Sam

Perhaps not the thread for it, though I can't really think of a more suitable one: are Silk and the new Spider-Man 2099 recommended? I read the first volume of Spider-Gwen and, although I loved the art, the comic as a whole left me a little underwhelmed.

TL21xx

Banned
Great work guys, might need to give some of those BND stories a second look. I actually didn't touch the comics for years because of OMD, and only came back in the leadup towards Superior.

Speaking of which, I'd have ranked Goblin Nation a bit lower but overall agree with that listing, it really was Slott's best storyline (and IMO when he should have bowed out gracefully, as I've not enjoyed his run ever since it's conclusion). I'd say that my only real issues with Superior overall are not so much anything in the book itself so much as how it has affected the status quo of the current books. On a personal level, I've always preferred a more Street-level Spider-Man, and that kinda got dropped for a few years due to the fallout and
Parker Industries being a thing
. I've never been a fan of that concept. But the plus side is that we have Renew Your Vows and now Spectacular to try to fill that void. It's a good time to be a Spider fan!

Perhaps not the thread for it, though I can't really think of a more suitable one: are Silk and the new Spider-Man 2099 recommended? I read the first volume of Spider-Gwen and, although I loved the art, the comic as a whole left me a little underwhelmed.

Can't speak for Silk, but I've really enjoyed 2099. Consistently great art and some classic Peter David storytelling, can't recommend it enough.

Rooster12

Speaking of which, I'd have ranked Goblin Nation a bit lower but overall agree with that listing, it really was Slott's best storyline (and IMO when he should have bowed out gracefully, as I've not enjoyed his run ever since it's conclusion).

I'm not a fan of Slott and I think most of Superior is horrible.

But Goblin Nation is one of the Spider-Man stories in years. He hit a homerun with that one. Such an awesome story that ended way too quick.

Top Bottom