• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
IDK much about Deadpool, but from what I've heard:

DO:
Read Cable & Deadpool.

DON'T:
Read Way's run.
-----

ComicGAF, I have a question:

Why does everyone hate Gambit so much?

Owzers

DO:
Read Cable & Deadpool.

DON'T:
Read Way's run.
-----

My name is gambit, i hit on rogue and throw playing cards at people while talking about the quality of gumbo. I don't hate him, but i haven't really read anything with Gambit involved that i like, so he remains a caricature from the x-men 90s cartoon.

Well, one of the problems of free digital codes with books is that i started rereading AvX digitally and i still hate issue #2 so so much. Cyclops calling Captain America a fascist while awkwardly fighting right off of Hope declaring herself the biggest darn gun they have....so much condensed eye-rolling.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Here is my haul from the comic store today. Can anybody tell me why issue 7 is skipped in the Immortal Iron Fist collections?

MIM8Z.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

DO:
Read Cable & Deadpool.

DON'T:
Read Way's run.
-----

Haters say he's a remnant of the 90s, but so is longshot, and people seem to love him.

Owzers

Immortal Iron Fist #7 was a bit of a one-shot-ish story about a former IIF, Marvel should have collected it but sometimes they stick to the story arc.

Rogue and Shadowcat my favorite Xmen. I just never liked him around Rogue. Just keep them apart and I'm cool I guess.
Also it seemed whenever someone saw I was reading comics it's always the same shit.

"oh I used to read that stuff, how much is Spawn #1 worth? Whats Gambit doing? Carnage and Gambit are so awesome..blahbalh"
every time lol, I wish I was joking

then I tell them to fuck off and we fight for 10 pages
lol

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is there a free Marvel or DC online comic trail?

Never read comics, just wanna see what the 2012 comic world is like with some random issues.

Mifune

Mehmber
I finished the Court of Owls storyline in Batman.

Wasn't a fan. It was awfully silly but treated with the gravity and solemnity of Maus or something, without a shred of fun or adventure.

Why does DC make it so hard for me to purchase their new Aquaman figure? And why is Way's deadpool run bad?

There are some good stories in Way's run (the Dark Reign story where he fights Bullseye and the arc where he tries to join the X-Men stand out to me), but it's pretty inconsistent.

If nothing else, I just think Way's run has gone on too damn long. That book needs a kick in the pants.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm reading Knightfall: Vol 1, and I have to say that I'm completely baffled by how stupid DC continues to be with its in-book advertising. Their collections always have a couple pages at the end with suggestions, but why the hell are they advertising Paul Dini collections (Detective, Death and the City) that have been out of print for a couple years? I'm pretty sure it's not that hard to update those pages with books that readers might actually be able to find. Their ads are always so out of date I'm not sure they do much good at all in guiding curious readers to anything, which is a shame.

Read Fatale: Vol 1 earlier in the week, and that was damned good stuff. The combination of noir and Lovecraft is great. I'm very much looking forward to reading more of that.

And also finished up King City by Brandon Graham. That was a lot of fun, sort of an Americanized manga. Also reminded me of a funnier and cruder version of Finder. I'll be checking out Prophet when that comes out.

My name is gambit, i hit on rogue and throw playing cards at people while talking about the quality of gumbo. I don't hate him, but i haven't really read anything with Gambit involved that i like, so he remains a caricature from the x-men 90s cartoon.

Well, one of the problems of free digital codes with books is that i started rereading AvX digitally and i still hate issue #2 so so much. Cyclops calling Captain America a fascist while awkwardly fighting right off of Hope declaring herself the biggest darn gun they have....so much condensed eye-rolling.

Rogue and Shadowcat my favorite Xmen. I just never liked him around Rogue. Just keep them apart and I'm cool I guess.
Also it seemed whenever someone saw I was reading comics it's always the same shit.

"oh I used to read that stuff, how much is Spawn #1 worth? Whats Gambit doing? Carnage and Gambit are so awesome..blahbalh"
every time lol, I wish I was joking

then I tell them to fuck off and we fight for 10 pages
lol

Well, Asmus's run seems to be the thing that he needs. He's a free agent (not dedicated to Rogue), and it goes back to his thievery - it'll draw from heist fiction (Oceans, for example) and he won't be wearing bright pink, no leg gauntlets, and no anti-mask.

And he won't necessarily be a hero, either (not a villain either, though). Plus (being generally the sexy guy in comics)m he can be seen as yet another way (alongside Kelly Sue DeConnick's Captain Marvel) to appeal to women with comics (and me, I love both characters).

X-Factor was pretty cool. Layla is one of my favorite characters and I'm glad her uber resurrection power has a major cost attached to it. A pretty satisfying one shot of the girl who "knows stuff". Though I thought she was funnier as a child (though her vision of Madrox and her wedding kind of put a creep spin on things).

so i was reading superman birthright since some guys in the man of steel thread said it was good. it was pretty good up until clark goes to metropolis, i have lost all urge to finish it. it's just so boring compared to everything before it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Man, that Batman sale Comixology have on right now is pretty amazing. If I didn't have every one of those comics already I'd be severely out of pocket by now. It's kind of sad that there is literally no old Batman stuff left for me to collect (well, outside of silver age and older).

Man I want this storyline to end in Wonder Woman. I love this broad so much, but I want to see ehr do Wonder Womanly things and not wait for this Zola give birth and the have the eventual storyline of keeping the baby alive. And Saga brahs, shit isn't as good as people think. Book is riding on vaughn's reputation right now nd is weird for weirdness sake.

ReiGun

Man I want this storyline to end in Wonder Woman. I love this broad so much, but I want to see ehr do Wonder Womanly things and not wait for this Zola give birth and the have the eventual storyline of keeping the baby alive.

That's how I feel after the last issue. The longer this story goes on, the less interest I have in it. Which is a shame, because it started out really promising.

That's how I feel after the last issue. The longer this story goes on, the less interest I have in it. Which is a shame, because it started out really promising.

I think they desperately need to get a second WW book. There just isn't any attachment to this pregnant chick and where the story is heading. This storyline has no end in sight. I need more WW.

V_Arnold

That Iron Fist TPB is so amazing, I am very glad that I bought it, still pick it up to read it from time to time. I want Fraction on IF again. And I want an IF ongoing again :p

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I want Fraction on IF again. And I want an IF ongoing again :p

nah man, this is what i always complain about re: cape books. the story is done, and was done brilliantly.

fraction is doing incredible things with casanova - hopefully he keeps at it instead of retreading ground.

ReiGun

I think they desperately need to get a second WW book. There just isn't any attachment to this pregnant chick and where the story is heading. This storyline has no end in sight. I need more WW.

I've been thinking lately that they need to relaunch Sensation Comics with Wonder Woman headlining it. Have the book be more "superhero-y" WW adventures, just like TEC is the detective Batman stories and "Batman" is the more action oriented book.

I get what Azzarello's trying to do, but having the book be this Greek god ensemble piece is starting to do more harm than good. Like you said, we have no attachment to Zola, and there are issues where it feels like WW is just there, even though she has reasons and motivations for being in conflict with the gods. The recent arc in hell started pretty interesting, but ended to quickly for me.

I've been thinking lately that they need to relaunch Sensation Comics with Wonder Woman headlining it. Have the book be more "superhero-y" WW adventures, just like TEC is the detective Batman stories and "Batman" is the more action oriented book.

I get what Azzarello's trying to do, but having the book be this Greek god ensemble piece is starting to do more harm than good. Like you said, we have no attachment to Zola, and there are issues where it feels like WW is just there, even though she has reasons and motivations for being in conflict with the gods. The recent arc in hell started pretty interesting, but ended to quickly for me.

yeah that's definitely been going through my mind that Wonder Woman has definitely been a background character in a title called Wonder Woman. feels more like the Gotham Central of WW. So definitely I want to see some other brahs tackle WW or I'll have to look elsewhere for stories.

Guys, I have a question about storage. I have a small collection of floppies that I'm planning on putting in a rental storage place for about 10 days. I live in Georgia, so the storage cubicle will be like an oven. Will this do any damage to the books? They're all in plastic slips with cardboard backings.

I've started stacking my issues without reading them so I can experience the story in one sitting later.

You guys let me know when it's over.

Or maybe it won't be over until Azzarello's run is over.

I'm caught up with the Batman craze again, so please recommend me some awesome standalone arcs.

What I've read before:

- Year One, TDKR (awesome)
- Long Halloween, Dark Victory (awesome)
- The Man Who Laughs, Killing Joke (good)
- Monster Men, Mad Monk (awesome)
- Hush (good)
- Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder (ok. is this dead?)
- Morrison's run (meh/ok)
- Snyder's Detective Comics and Court of the Owls (good)

I'm thinking of catching up on Knightfall now after watching TDKR.

Tizoc

My question is plain and simple:

I want to start with Deadpool, which comic should I start with?

Yup start with Joe Kelly's run and the mid 90s Deadpool series which are collected in the link posted previously
Follow up by reading Agent X by Gail Simone then get into Cable & Deadpool.
Way's DP run is hit or miss and can be boring at times.
Other Deadpool minis to check out include:
Fear Itself mini (written by the author of Dr. McNinja)
Wade Wilson's War

I'm caught up with the Batman craze again, so please recommend me some awesome standalone arcs.

What I've read before:

- Hush (good)

Hmm that's a lot of good batman comics you've already read...

Maybe you should branch out and read some of the other Bat titles?
Batwoman by Rucka and JH Williams III
Batgirl by Bryan Q. Miller
Red Robin by Chris Yost and Marcus To

Also, yes, All Star B&R is dead (until it rises again!?)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

What I've read before:

- Hush (good)

I think you've covered the basics of the canon there. You've got your Millars, Morrisons and Snyders in there. I think you're ready for the big leagues now sonny jim, so if I were you I'd start reading the new prints of Knightfall. they're including the whole middle Knightquest stuff this time afaik so it'll be a really good read. Then you could read Contagion and then No Mans Land (skip Legacy, Cataclysm and the aftershocks, they suck). And then..l I dunno, random trades and collections I guess. You'll have read all the good big stuff by then. War Games is terrible, avoid that.

Trying to think of good runs, and the trouble is that the collections are so very patchy. There's a lot of great stuff from Legends of the Dark Knight - arcs like Shaman, Gothic, Venom are the classics and are really good. There are also a lot of brilliant smaller stories there too. There's Blink/Don't Blink, Snow (especially awesome for the rare Seth fisher work), Faces (a great Matt Wagner story)... There was a good trade I got as a kid that had a few stories in it, including an early Tim Sale story, a poison ivy story (i think by P Craig Russell) and the first BatMite story by Kevin O'Neil.

What else...? The Batman/Predator stuff is actually good. Greg Rucka's run on Detective was brilliant (and informed EVERYTHING he did since, including the brilliant Gotham Central and Batwoman and Montoya stuff). Rucka's run is actually a good follow up from No Mans Land, and from there you can go to GC, and then theres a good Huntress mini called Cry For Blood that leads quite nicely into his work on 52 with Montoya which flows well into the series of Batwoman/question stuff he did (Crime Bible, Final Crisis Revelations and then Elegy).

Nd that's about everything I can think of. If you have any questions please ask, I know a disturbing amount about Batman comics...

On the plus side, he does mention Multiversity "kind of getting done," so hopefully a release date will finally be announced soon. I've already been waiting well over three years for it...

Owzers

O_____O I'll buy the rest of Action Comics monthly like normal, but my plan to switch over to digital combo packs for issue 0 on doesn't seem to be too good of an idea, i don't think i want just 5 issues digitally, and there might only be two trades total since the first collects 8 issues, would be easier to sell single issues and buy the two trades IF i end up really liking the rest...so far only issue 9 was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom