• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! May |OT| Round 2! FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
lolwut

FIRSTXM001AdamsVar.jpg

mummy, why does wolverine vampire teeths?

Garryk

I was wondering if Frank was ever going to lose his eye or not. This still doesn't answer that but it looks like he is foregoing an eyepatch.

So, after I got sold on Severed last month, I finally got around to reading the first tpb and I read it in one sitting. Holy fucking shit, you guys weren't kidding, that shit was creepy.

When I first started reading it, I immediately remembered why I didn't "feel" it the first time. When the old man's true form is revealed in the last pages of the first frigging chapter, it just felt kinda hokey. I mean, it felt like they revealed too much too soon and the presentation seemed kinda shaky in every way. The shock wore off after a couple of moments, though, and looking back, that was just a minor blemish.

All in all, a class act all the way.

Owzers

Is Punisher worth jumping into at issue #12, i read the first issue and thought it moved way too slow for my liking.

Did anyone get Thief of Thieves last week? It's on my pull but I didn't realize it was missing till later. I'll check tomorrow.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
When I was a hardcore comic reader a few months back I was completely a DC guy, but after a few months off and coming back to comics, I find Marvel comics are better written/have better stories. Weird.

Setre

Another round of number 1s from me.

DC Universe Presents: Deadman # 1 – Awesome
Demon Knights # 1 – Bad
Dial H # 1 – Good (Weird)
Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. # 1 – Good
Swamp Thing # 1 – Awesome
World’s Finest # 1 – Good
Earth 2 # 1 – Awesome

I also saw Irredeemable mentioned in this thread a few pages back and looked it up on Wikipedia. Sounded really interesting, plus the guy who wrote it (Mark Waid), helped write Kingdom Come which I loved. Holy fuck guys, Irredeemable is fucking amazing. I’ve only read four issues but holy fucking shit. Can’t wait to read more, so good.

I know, I know... "LOL AvX" etc. etc. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...

UNCANNYXM017.jpg

UNCANNY X-MEN #17
KIERON GILLEN (w) • DANIEL ACUÑA (a/C)
AVX TIE-IN!
• The climactic end to the X-Men’s greatest stand against Sinister!
• The culmination of everything Sinister has planned since Uncanny #1!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
I wonder if that's a spoiler for AvX. :O

Also,

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/axel-alonso-avengers-vs-x-men.html

Newsarama: Axel, you've mentioned how important Avengers vs. X-Men has been for you. With the series on top of the sales chart again in April, how pleased have you been with the reception thus far?

Axel Alonso: I couldn't be happier. We are on track to be the biggest event ever.

Nrama: Bigger than Civil War?

Alonso: Yeah. We're at a fourth printing now of issue #1. Tom [Brevoort] and I were joking about how the sales are great, people are talking, and the only naysaying we're hearing is, "Oh my god, it's going to be another nine issues of them running around the world fighting." They have no idea what's in store for them. And I love it! The thing is, we've got three acts, and there really are some massive, game-changing moments that equally affect the Avengers and the X-Men, or have great effect on either team, that no one is going to see coming, that are going to be the water-cooler talk for the next few months.

Nrama: Right around the same time AvX will be wrapping up, a few long-term runs are ending at Marvel, with Brian Michael Bendis leaving the Avengers books and Jonathan Hickman leaving Fantastic Four. Is this more of a scheduling coincidence, or a sign of a larger, coordinated effort?

Alonso: We have some moves planned. The Marvel Universe is changed by AvX. It is not a reboot or a retcon. It is the Marvel Universe that you grew up in. But this story in many ways sort of serves as an endcap to a decade's worth of stories that we've been telling, and I think it begins a great first chapter for the next decade's worth of stories we're going to tell.

I'm very excited about what we're doing. We had a fantastic summit. Some long-running creative shifts are occurring — you've heard about Brian, for instance; there may be others. We're very excited about where we're headed.

1337100587.jpg

AVENGERS VS X-MEN #10
ED BRUBAKER (W) • OLIVIER COIPEL (A)
Cover by JIM CHEUNG
Variant cover by NICK BRADSHAW also available
BRADSHAW SKETCH VARIANT also available
Avengers Team & X-Men Team Variants also available
PROMO VARIANT also available
• Time is running out as the Avengers are cornered in their last stronghold!
• But the stakes change when Hope and the Scarlet Witch join forces! Why?! How?!
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (EACH)

I've always liked Sinister from Claremont's run, but I've really been enjoying what Gillen's has been doing with the character since the beginning at #1. And they got a great artist in Acuna instead of Greg Land.

Some long-running creative shifts are occurring — you've heard about Brian, for instance; there may be others. We're very excited about where we're headed.

I'm guessing Brubaker is leaving Captain America considering Bunn is co-writing the next story arc.

When will Greg Land disappear? How can anyone at Marvel with any kind of artistic integrity say "Yeah, this guy does awesome work." I guess it doesn't matter if the book sells but damn if that guy isnt awful.

My secret hope is that Greg Land will be on these new Guardian of the Galaxy Bendis books and away from anything I'm actually wanting to read.

My bets: Brubaker or Hickman, maybe both head over to Avengers. Hickman announced he is leaving F4, FF and Ultimates. So thinking there and since he is the only writer who does not do one of the big draws writing AvX pretty positive.

kswiston

My bets: Brubaker or Hickman, maybe both head over to Avengers. Hickman announced he is leaving F4, FF and Ultimates. So thinking there and since he is the only writer who does not do one of the big draws writing AvX pretty positive.

I will pass on a Brubaker version of the Avengers. I haven't enjoyed any of his team books. I hope Hickman gets control of both Avengers titles, or that they cancel New Avengers and have him write a single Avengers book biweekly. Secret Avengers can continue doing its own thing.

Also, I haven't read Uncanny in a couple years. When did Sinister switch back to the proper sex? And did they ever explain what happened to him in Messiah Complex?

Sinister took a girl's body, a clone who Ms. Sinister was using to keep her life going and then took her body I think. He just cloned himself and used a phallanx to make himself hivemind with an army of clones. Pretty cool. Also beat the shit out of the Extinction Team.

I think Remender, Hickman will be the primary architects after Bendis leaves Avengers. He still has the ultron story left.

I'm thinking the Ultron story is going cosmic, and with Thanos/GotG appearing in Avengers Assemble, it's pretty clear that Bendis is taking over the cosmic part of the MU.

Remender said that now that he's departing Venom, he's got some "things and some stuff coming up", but he's already on Secret Avengers, I don't think he's getting another Avengers book to go along with it. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be good!

kswiston

I'm thinking the Ultron story is going cosmic, and with Thanos/GotG appearing in Avengers Assemble, it's pretty clear that Bendis is taking over the cosmic part of the MU.

Remender said that now that he's departing Venom, he's got some "things and some stuff coming up", but he's already on Secret Avengers, I don't think he's getting another Avengers book to go along with it. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be good!

Bendis-speak Thanos should be a treat.

I wish Peter David got another sandbox to play in that isn't X-Factor. He is under the radar with that book so editorial gives him a free reign as long as his book is selling consistently and with healthy numbers. Maybe an Incredible Hercules or Inhumans book.

kswiston

I wish Peter David got another sandbox to play in that isn't X-Factor. He is under the radar with that book so editorial gives him a free reign as long as his book is selling consistently and with healthy numbers. Maybe an Incredible Hercules or Inhumans book.

I am actually really surprised that X-Factor has kept going as long as it has. 7 years is a pretty respectable run on a mid-tier book.

tm24

I am actually really surprised that X-Factor has kept going as long as it has. 7 years is a pretty respectable run on a mid-tier book.

I honestly have no idea how and why im still buying this. All i know is that i accidently read the Madrox mini and bought Xfactor when it came back and hated Layla Miller, but here I am later, with about 60 or so issues of Xfactor in storage

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Today in comic book lessons : How not to color a book, with Birds of Prey #9.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2012/04/25/artist-travel-foreman-on-birds-of-brey
Here we have Travel Foreman's hecka sweet pencils. Look at how classy this is. I want this all over my face this is so nice y'all.

http://www.dccomics.com/galleries/birds-of-prey-9-preview
Same pages, colored by some fucking hack. This is a fucking mess. Goddamn ridiculous. Terribad. Gosh dang.

oh god, thats so hard to look at... goddamn, something good could have happened there, but just bad...bad happened there.

Oh yeah, I wrote into the letters section of Saga, I hope I got it in
:p

I honestly have no idea how and why im still buying this. All i know is that i accidently read the Madrox mini and bought Xfactor when it came back and hated Layla Miller, but here I am later, with about 60 or so issues of Xfactor in storage

You sonuvabitch. You're going to continue to buy X-Factor and you're going to like it.

Beth Cyra

Wow, didn't expect Wolverine to be on the cover along side the rest of the Avengers after what people said happened between Cap and Wolvy in the last book.

hey does anybody know whats up with Hickman's SHIELD?

I bought the first trade a few weeks back and loved it. Is it still coming out? I don't have to worry about the series not finishing up right?...right?

kswiston

I don't think I have read X-Factor since Messiah Complex.... Other than that, the last thing I remember is a Madrox Dupe sleeping with Siren and Monet in the same evening and them being pissed at him the next day. That and Quicksilver doing weird stuff with his powers.

I should probably catch up with whatever is available on Digital Comics Unlimited.

yes X factor is still great

It's what I want most in comics right now. I'll be happy enough for both of us!

X Factor is my new love and I'm ashamed to have ignored it for so long.

oh not in any bad way I just don't want to get sucked into Avengers books and he'd probably get me to lol

I mean Ultimate stuff is dead to me so that was easy to ignore but...ugh its gonna happen isn't it? He's gonna kill it too, damn

vazel

Banned
Wasn't new Rocketeer supposed to be out today. Oh well, at least I have The Shadow #2 to tide me over.

Edit: I didn't know Comixology was including all the alt covers. If I had known that I wouldn't have bought physical copies of The Shadow #1.

Owzers

i wish AvX was quadruple shipping just so we could get to the creative shifts faster. Marvel Universe as a whole is just wasted potential to me, Bendis on THREE Avengers books, everything being an AvX tie-in, and AvX in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom