• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

definitely not sold on the early pitch for the Thanos OGN, i hate thanos too, he's like Luthor for me.

I did order the Waid Spidey OGN though and Carey's X-Men OGN sounds interesting.

I really like the first issue of Ultimate Spiderman. How many volumes are there? It looks like Google Play Book store does not have everyone of them.

I also picked up the first volume of the new Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction, since I saw a thread about it on here. I really like the artstyle. It seems old fashioned.

It feels really nice to read comics again after a twenty break. If I wanted to jump into any other characters, should I start with issues starting after a major event?

I really like the first issue of Ultimate Spiderman. How many volumes are there? It looks like Google Play Book store does not have everyone of them.

I also picked up the first volume of the new Hawkeye series by Matt Fraction, since I saw a thread about it on here. I really like the artstyle. It seems old fashioned.

It feels really nice to read comics again after a twenty break. If I wanted to jump into any other characters, should I start with issues starting after a major event?

If it's Marvel you want, most of their series started again with Marvel Now which was just after the Avengers vs. X-Men event.

It's an OGN. Are those even in continuity these days?

X-Men: No More Humans takes place after BOTA. Endless Wartime could fit in at any point from after AvX to just before Infinity. Family Business will probably be a "lost tale" business like the #700.1-5 issues of Amazing Spider-Man they put out a few weeks ago.

Does it matter though? I feel like we comic readers worry about continuity way more than the staff do.

DAT SHOWDOWN. :O

Uncanny-Avengers-16-Preview-1-4bb99.jpg
Uncanny-Avengers-16-Preview-2-bdc63.jpg

Uncanny-Avengers-16-Preview-3-c6d0e.jpg
Uncanny-Avengers-16-Cover-6e655.jpg

Oh wow, really? Jesus, forgive my ignorance (genuinely) and forget what I said haha. I could swear I read awhile back about Spurrier being really regretful that it was coming to an end and how he'd wished it had sold more? Guess that's what I get for rage typing and assuming this was part of a pattern that I still hold my point up about, but obviously I should check my facts first.

You're not misremembering entirely. But it wasn't so much that he was regretful it was ending as it was painful for him to cease working on it. Spurrier's said he's most proud of Six Gun Gorilla and that it was a deeply personal project. And for those reasons, he wishes more people had read it. I don't think it's so much that it failed to meet expectations as he wishes he'd had bigger aspirations for it.

In my opinion, Image should have published it. Boom didn't realize what they had on their hands.

You're not misremembering entirely. But it wasn't so much that he was regretful it was ending as it was painful for him to cease working on it. Spurrier's said he's most proud of Six Gun Gorilla and that it was a deeply personal project. And for those reasons, he wishes more people had read it. I don't think it's so much that it failed to meet expectations as he wishes he'd had bigger aspirations for it.

In my opinion, Image should have published it. Boom didn't realize what they had on their hands.

Haha cheers for that dude, making me look (only slightly) less stupid. I obviously just got the context totally wrong, I assumed they'd pulled the plug when I read that and obviously quite a lot of people in here disappointed there's no more. My bad again though.

To make up for it, I have another swag photo this week. I figured the loot I'd got from christmas had given me very nearly the momentum to just carry on and finish catching up on the books I've been reading. Still waiting on Bedlam volume 1 and The Wake part 1 in the psot, but these have arrived:

I think now all I have to grab is the latest volume of the sixth gun and it's spin off mini and I'm fully up to date!

Messi

Haha cheers for that dude, making me look (only slightly) less stupid. I obviously just got the context totally wrong, I assumed they'd pulled the plug when I read that and obviously quite a lot of people in here disappointed there's no more. My bad again though.

To make up for it, I have another swag photo this week. I figured the loot I'd got from christmas had given me very nearly the momentum to just carry on and finish catching up on the books I've been reading. Still waiting on Bedlam volume 1 and The Wake part 1 in the psot, but these have arrived:

I think now all I have to grab is the latest volume of the sixth gun and it's spin off mini and I'm fully up to date!

What level of Villains are in Gotham Central? Do the likes of Joker, Harley, Ivy, Mr Freeze ect show up or is it just about random villains?

I love those Fatale covers, I need to pick them up.

arkon

Oh wow, really? Jesus, forgive my ignorance (genuinely) and forget what I said haha. I could swear I read awhile back about Spurrier being really regretful that it was coming to an end and how he'd wished it had sold more? Guess that's what I get for rage typing and assuming this was part of a pattern that I still hold my point up about, but obviously I should check my facts first.

I thought he closed out the series nicely with those six issues, but open enough that there's avenues to continue it in the future.

The big villains show up, as does Batman, but they're viewed from the perspective of the Gotham PD officers who encounter them.

Been rereading some books lately, and (on the subject) the way the
"Joker's loose in the precinct!"
scenes go down in Gotham Central and in Snyder's Batman is completely different.

What level of Villains are in Gotham Central? Do the likes of Joker, Harley, Ivy, Mr Freeze ect show up or is it just about random villains?

I love those Fatale covers, I need to pick them up.

I don't want to say too much, because often the cases may start as very regular crime investigations such as murders/kidnappings, theft etc. then a villian may (or may not) end up involved, but I'll say straight up say the Joker as he appears on the front of book 2, and one other that you mentioned. The most interesting thing about the book is it's very much focused the titular GCPD. Examining crime scenes, evidence, visiting the morgue, arguing about who likes who's partner etc., it really captures the feel of the wire, or even something like the shield. Villians and batman do show up, but their appearances can be fleeting despite them being the *main* threat to the city; this is what the police do to cope with the fact the villians and the bat are running around the city leaving them entirely out of the loop. What are they doing while Joker is leaving traps around the city but nowhere to be seen and Batman is down in the sewers following a lead? It's fascinating stuff from Bru and Rucka. I would love for them to reunite for a completely straight police book but Gotham Central is fantastic in its own right.

tim1138

I spy volumes two and three of Manhattan Projects, excellent.

Messi

I don't want to say too much, because often the cases may start as very regular crime investigations such as murders/kidnappings, theft etc. then a villian may (or may not) end up involved, but I'll say straight up say the Joker as he appears on the front of book 2, and one other that you mentioned. The most interesting thing about the book is it's very much focused the titular GCPD. Examining crime scenes, evidence, visiting the morgue, arguing about who likes who's partner etc., it really captures the feel of the wire, or even something like the shield. Villians and batman do show up, but their appearances can be fleeting despite them being the *main* threat to the city; this is what the police do to cope with the fact the villians and the bat are running around the city leaving them entirely out of the loop. What are they doing while Joker is leaving traps around the city but nowhere to be seen and Batman is down in the sewers following a lead? It's fascinating stuff from Bru and Rucka. I would love for them to reunite for a completely straight police book but Gotham Central is fantastic in its own right.

Thanks for not spoiling it then :p. I shall look into getting them. I am still trying to find Bur's Catwoman books :(

arkon

I'm not sure how much that would have helped. Looking at sales figures it was in a similar position to Image titles like Prophet. I could see it doing the same sort of numbers under them.

Yo comics gaf! Recently picked up all-new xmen and im really enjoying it...the only problem now is that Ive started uncanny x-men and im not sure how I should be reading this. Is there like a reading order between the two books that I should be following?

Owzers

caught up on Thor through the Godbomb arc, issue 11. I had a couple problems with the panel transitions following the action, seems common lately, but it had lots of great moments.
when Thor was smashing the inside of the god bomb with the hammer, i thought he broke it, not that it exploded Xo

Yo comics gaf! Recently picked up all-new xmen and im really enjoying it...the only problem now is that Ive started uncanny x-men and im not sure how I should be reading this. Is there like a reading order between the two books that I should be following?

I'm not sure whether you'd start with Schism first. So you'll understand why Wolverine departed from Cyclops' team and formed up his own.

All New X-men, Uncanny X-men and Wolverine and The X-men stories are kinda in concert altogether.

I spy volumes two and three of Manhattan Projects, excellent.

Hahah yea, I loved the first volume! I think I prefer East Of West in comparison, but certainly still super excited to dive into more TMP, and they do scratch slightly different itches.

Thanks for not spoiling it then :p. I shall look into getting them. I am still trying to find Bur's Catwoman books :(

Were you after the original volumes? They definitely redid Bru's run very recently in 3 12 issue-ish sized collections. It's the only major run of his I haven't read so I'd love to get it at some point too.

That's incredible man, such a cool present. I hope to god they link Deathstroke to GA at some point in the new 52, I absolutely love Slade in the tv show haha, he doesn't have much to do with Ollie in comic continuity though right?

I also like your book unit in the background, sitting trying to pick stuff out haha.

That's incredible man, such a cool present. I hope to god they link Deathstroke to GA at some point in the new 52, I absolutely love Slade in the tv show haha, he doesn't have much to do with Ollie in comic continuity though right?

I also like your book unit in the background, sitting trying to pick stuff out haha.

BcxSku-CQAEVFav.jpg

Thats most of it, wife and I have a stack in the bedroom to read.

Edit - Wow, Twitters compression sucks. Use to be ok.

kswiston

That's a really cool statue Korupt. What did you give your wife? If you have mentioned it earlier in the thread, apologies for missing the post.

Parch

I thought he closed out the series nicely with those six issues, but open enough that there's avenues to continue it in the future.
Absolutely. Easy enough to start another series or spin off if he wants. There's always opportunity for more if the first sells.

Indy titles should start with a miniseries. Got a story to tell? Fine. Tell it. End it.

Messi

Hahah yea, I loved the first volume! I think I prefer East Of West in comparison, but certainly still super excited to dive into more TMP, and they do scratch slightly different itches.

Were you after the original volumes? They definitely redid Bru's run very recently in 3 12 issue-ish sized collections. It's the only major run of his I haven't read so I'd love to get it at some point too.

I'm just looking for any trade containing them. Seems vol 3 is not out until April :(

What made you such a huge Deathstroke fan Korupt? Your collection of Slade stuff is pretty awesome.

Injustice Gods Among Us. My geekness is really entrenched in video games. The game came out and I did not get it at first. I bought it not really being into fighters and not really into comic characters.

Bought the game and tried my favorite Batman out but didn't like his style of fighting. Tried all the characters and Deathstroke just clicked with me. Kinda like the fascination with Darth Vader, I was attracted to his design, that he was bad. Then I was one of those early people that would spam his guns and evoke peoples true anger online. I got a kick out of this for some reason. I think I'm a very honest and moral person in my everyday life. It felt good to be the evil asshole somewhere in my life. The amount of hate mail I received was hilarious. I eventually learned the game quite well and learned to use the character without using his guns much.

Somewhere along the line, I wanted to know more about the character. I downloaded the DC comixology app on my phone and searched Deathstroke. At the time, the only thing they had was the New 52 series. I bought the first few issues and really enjoyed reading a comic. One day for lunch at work, I went to Comic Book World and looked around. My first time in a comic shop since I was a kid. Found all the back issues of Deathstroke and really enjoyed reading them. I began to buy more than just DS and now comics are now my passion and video games are on the back burner. I have dived head first into the hobby and have enjoyed every part of it.

I have Slade to thank for that.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

The heartwarming story of a boy and a ruthless, body-dropping, mercenary.

But seriously, that's really great that you got into comics so quickly and keep up the Slade love--somebody's gotta!

Any suggestions for a title for January's OT? I've already got one but I'm not in love with it, so I'm looking to see what else you guys can come up with.

Owzers

Any suggestions for a title for January's OT? I've already got one but I'm not in love with it, so I'm looking to see what else you guys can come up with.

A whole year to complain about DC books.

side note: Nova 1-3 wasn't that bad, the first five issues are on MU. I'm glad i didn't buy them though, they are fairly bendis-ish in that they move along slowly.

tim1138

Injustice Gods Among Us. My geekness is really entrenched in video games. The game came out and I did not get it at first. I bought it not really being into fighters and not really into comic characters.

Bought the game and tried my favorite Batman out but didn't like his style of fighting. Tried all the characters and Deathstroke just clicked with me. Kinda like the fascination with Darth Vader, I was attracted to his design, that he was bad. Then I was one of those early people that would spam his guns and evoke peoples true anger online. I got a kick out of this for some reason. I think I'm a very honest and moral person in my everyday life. It felt good to be the evil asshole somewhere in my life. The amount of hate mail I received was hilarious. I eventually learned the game quite well and learned to use the character without using his guns much.

Somewhere along the line, I wanted to know more about the character. I downloaded the DC comixology app on my phone and searched Deathstroke. At the time, the only thing they had was the New 52 series. I bought the first few issues and really enjoyed reading a comic. One day for lunch at work, I went to Comic Book World and looked around. My first time in a comic shop since I was a kid. Found all the back issues of Deathstroke and really enjoyed reading them. I began to buy more than just DS and now comics are now my passion and video games are on the back burner. I have dived head first into the hobby and have enjoyed every part of it.

That's an awesome story man, very cool. You have Slade's first appearance right? Thought I remembered you posting that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom