• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splatt

How is Immortal Iron Fist?

Fraction, Brubaker and Aja's best work.

Damn you Marvel for reducing Iron Fist to chump status
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif

How is Immortal Iron Fist?

Absolutely brilliant. I prefer it a lot to Bru's daredevil run. Perhaps not the opus that Cap was but in it's pure short concentrated run for when Bru was on (I'm supposing you're asking about the Fraction/Bru part of the series?), it's possibly his best work at Marvel. Also you get to see Fraction/Aja before they were hawkguys, doing something a bit more serious but still with a character who can laugh at himself. Very much worth checking out.

Cheska

Are most comics book stores open tomorrow? I know that unlike Christmas, a lot of retailers are open and considering it another business day.

Eldren

I love Immortal Iron Fist. Did everyone read the Duane Swierczynski/Travel Foreman stuff as well? I liked those stories, I feel like they give the whole series a sense of closure.

Owzers

I dislike these kinds of teasers...i dislike Marvel teasers. Character silhouettes, just random names of books like Outcasts, or wedding puzzle pieces. These puzzle piece things are meaningless. Let me figure it out for everyone: The people in the puzzle pieces are all officially Avengers now.

Acid08

Banned
I love Immortal Iron Fist. Did everyone read the Duane Swierczynski/Travel Foreman stuff as well? I liked those stories, I feel like they give the whole series a sense of closure.
Yeah I liked that stuff too. Good ending to the series. One of the only instances of Foreman not being total bullshit for me.

kswiston

New Avengers 13 was set up, but still interesting. I'm sad that the book started with Steve Epting, and now is stuck with Simone Bianchi because Marvel can't keep an artist on a book for more than 6 issues.

Messi

Is it still possible to get the BKV trades of Runaways? I hate the readers digest versions, they are too small and hurts he art.

New Avengers 13 was set up, but still interesting. I'm sad that the book started with Steve Epting, and now is stuck with Simone Bianchi because Marvel can't keep an artist on a book for more than 6 issues.

Agree, if only to hammer home the "you're not going to be able to punch your way out of this one" point a little harder.

Bring on the insane plot devices!

sca2511

You guys weren't kidding. Instocktrades' packaging is pretty great. Just received Revival HC, Hawkeye HC, Mara, and Manhattan Projects Vol.1. Also picked up Spaceman Deluxe when I went to Vegas this past week.

Also picked up Spaceman Deluxe when I went to Vegas this past week.

Come back with your thoughts on this man. I literally had this ordered on amazon last week then cancelled out for something else, I just wasn't sure enough. I love Wonder Woman but 100 bullets I was so-so on.

kswiston

Glad I waited on Manhattan Projects to vote for BOTM. That last line was gold. I know that East of West is the better seller, but MP is Hickman's best book.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Come back with your thoughts on this man. I literally had this ordered on amazon last week then cancelled out for something else, I just wasn't sure enough. I love Wonder Woman but 100 bullets I was so-so on.

I picked up Spaceman in floppies. It's an interesting sci-fi story--an evolved monkey-man partook in a failed space-colony experiment in the past (OR DID HE??) but gets wrapped up in a kidnapping on Earth sometime after--but I think the language that Azzarello came up for the social-media obsessed, language-butchered future is just not good. None of the dialogue flows (maybe this was due to reading it in floppies) but there was just no fluidity to the created language, which all the dialogue is in. This has been done expertly by say, Gary Shteyngart or David Mitchell, but Azzarello just kinda flubbed it unfortunately.

Read a few preview pages and see if you can slog through that language.

Glad I waited on Manhattan Projects to vote for BOTM. That last line was gold. I know that East of West is the better seller, but MP is Hickman's best book.

Really can't wait to sit down and read volumes 2 and 3 of TMP. After reading just volume 1 of both, I really do think East Of West is the better book, but I wouldn't say they are entirely comparable. They are both very clearly Hickman, but he's scratching different itches with the two. I wrote about this a few pages back, but if EoW pans out, I really think it could turn into a seminal work, with the strength of the world building, whereas I just find TMP a really great off the wall book. Saga and Lazarus have super interesting deep fictional worlds, and Umbral I imagine will be pretty ambitious, but surely EoW is the one to watch right now. Both books are great stuff though, you couldn't argue against either's strengths.

I picked up Spaceman in floppies. It's an interesting sci-fi story--an evolved monkey-man partook in a failed space-colony experiment in the past (OR DID HE??) but gets wrapped up in a kidnapping on Earth sometime after--but I think the language that Azzarello came up for the social-media obsessed, language-butchered future is just not good. None of the dialogue flows (maybe this was due to reading it in floppies) but there was just no fluidity to the created language, which all the dialogue is in. This has been done expertly by say, Gary Shteyngart or David Mitchell, but Azzarello just kinda flubbed it unfortunately.

Read a few preview pages and see if you can slog through that language.

That;s interesting, thanks for the advice, i'll do that first then before I think about purchasing again. Its just bugging me that I'm reading a superhero book that I like so much, but no independent works by the creators involved. Is Spaceman something he's coming back to or was it a true mini series?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
That;s interesting, thanks for the advice, i'll do that first then before I think about purchasing again. Its just bugging me that I'm reading a superhero book that I like so much, but no independent works by the creators involved. Is Spaceman something he's coming back to or was it a true mini series?

He's said that he could easily go back to the world, and may in the future, but the story does indeed tie everything up that it ought to. I really enjoy Azzarello, I just think this may not be the series to recommend to anybody but the most hardcore of fans.

I feel the same about his Brother Lono, which I dropped after a few issues because I was so damn bored by it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
yay, a new wolvie costume.

I'm kinda late on this.

Can't help but look at that outfit and think "The Superior Wolverine."

There's been too many Wolverine #1s in recent years. Can't keep track! Why does he need a gun?

And just ditch the yellow and go with the black/grey X-Force costume already. :p

arkon

Really can't wait to sit down and read volumes 2 and 3 of TMP. After reading just volume 1 of both, I really do think East Of West is the better book, but I wouldn't say they are entirely comparable. They are both very clearly Hickman, but he's scratching different itches with the two. I wrote about this a few pages back, but if EoW pans out, I really think it could turn into a seminal work, with the strength of the world building, whereas I just find TMP a really great off the wall book. Saga and Lazarus have super interesting deep fictional worlds, and Umbral I imagine will be pretty ambitious, but surely EoW is the one to watch right now. Both books are great stuff though, you couldn't argue against either's strengths.

Does Saga really? My impression from what I read of it was they just threw ideas in there that they thought were cool (not that there's anything wrong with that). Deep just isn't a word I'd use to describe it.

Maybe that changes later in the series.

Does Saga really? My impression from what I read of it was they just threw ideas in there that they thought were cool (not that there's anything wrong with that). Deep just isn't a word I'd use to describe it.

Maybe that changes later in the series.
Yep. Saga is not deep at all. It's just random shit thrown together that looks pretty. There's no world building.

Messi

Yep. Saga is not deep at all. It's just random shit thrown together that looks pretty. There's no world building.

This is true, in the beginning I felt they were building a world but since then it has become clear that they are just throwing pretty looking stuff at the wall. I still like it though as I like the characters.

Hickman is doing the lord's work in Manhattan Projects. I can't fathom being a fan of comics and not buying that book.

I trade-wait it. It reads better that way. When I was picking up the regular issues, I'd keep losing track of what happened in the previous issue.

tim1138

I dunno, It just sounds incredibly boring to me. I chose to check out East of west instead.

Spoken like someone who hasn't read an issue, because otherwise "boring" would never appear in a sentence describing it. To each their own I suppose.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Chris Burnham hasn't been announced as doing interiors for any ongoing, has he?
I absolutely loved his art in Batman Incorporated and I'm really surprised/sad that he hasn't done anything since and doesn't seem to have anything coming up.

tim1138

Chris Burnham hasn't been announced as doing interiors for any ongoing, has he?
I absolutely loved his art in Batman Incorporated and I'm really surprised/sad that he hasn't done anything since and doesn't seem to have anything coming up.

He told me on Twitter a few months ago that he hoped his next book would be announced early next year. So hopefully in the next few weeks.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
He told me on Twitter a few months ago that he hoped his next book would be announced early next year. So hopefully in the next few weeks.

Awesome! Great to hear it! Thanks for the info!
Also can't wait until they come out with an official announcement/release date for a deluxe edition of Batman Inc. Vol 2. I really want that on my bookshelf.

Manhattan Projects scares me as I don't understand a word of East of West.

In almost a crazy way I would recommend you jump in at the beginning of his stuff, despite thinking his current storytelling is far more clear than his older stuff. Pax Romana, Red Mass for Mars, The Red Wing etc. can be a tough read through the first time trying to make sense of what happened when and so on, but since they are one and done volumes, you can easily go through them a few times. If you can trace his progression though and get down how Hickman ticks, TMP or EoW will seem much more straight forward. I guess anyway ha. I feel like his storytelling has cleaned up and matured a lot now where it's not too hard to follow (if you have experience with his style), although I feel like TMP and EoW solve the problem different ways.

And yes, I'd agree, TMP is a lighter more straight forward read than EoW.

Well gang, I'm posting from my phone because the power just went out. Waiting to see how long it takes to come back on... think I'll take the opportunity to catch up on my reading (via flashlight of course).

In the meantime, voting has been extended to 10 pm EST tonight because of the holiday, so get those ballots in while you can and I'll tally them up when I can turn my computer back on.

Messi

Well gang, I'm posting from my phone because the power just went out. Waiting to see how long it takes to come back on... think I'll take the opportunity to catch up on my reading (via flashlight of course).

In the meantime, voting has been extended to 10 pm EST tonight because of the holiday, so get those ballots in while you can and I'll tally them up when I can turn my computer back on.

Super excited to see what books made the list :p

I often want to vote in these book of the month things, if only for Spike's sake. He works hard on these OPs and seems so genuinely nice that you want to see that work rewarded

but I don't even remember what came out this month. I didn't even know comics came out today.

mods halp

Messi

Has anyone actually read todays comics?

I just bought and am reading the first volume of Batman and Robin. But up that does not count right?

I've not been to the store in the past two Wednesday's as it would have only been 3 comics for me to pick up so I couldn't justify the cost of travelling. Back next week with a big stack though.

I often want to vote in these book of the month things, if only for Spike's sake. He works hard on these OPs and seems so genuinely nice that you want to see that work rewarded

but I don't even remember what came out this month. I didn't even know comics came out today.

mods halp

Just vote for Harley, Black Science and SAGA. Do it right.

I vote because of all the effort Spike puts in. The OP is fantastic each month.

Filthy Slug

I just bought and am reading the first volume of Batman and Robin. But up that does not count right?

I've not been to the store in the past two Wednesday's as it would have only been 3 comics for me to pick up so I couldn't justify the cost of travelling. Back next week with a big stack though.

Just vote for Harley, Black Science and SAGA. Do it right.

I vote because of all the effort Spike puts in. The OP is fantastic each month.

Yo, don't do that. That comic stunk and the fact that it's very much attempting to be DCs antihero answer to Hawkeye is not doing it any favors. Also, baaaad art.

On a better note, Batman and Robin--good call, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom