• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Dusknoir

Darth Maul #1 - This was ok. I wanted a look at a way younger Maul just before he meet his master. I guess I'll just wait for that in the next issue. Also fuck that back-up. What a useless story to charge a extra dollar for.

Batman

I fucking loved this issue. This issue is why I wish King's next book would be something more comedic cause the guy can be hilarious when he needs to be. Everthing between that Bat Family was great and Bruce's comments about Alfred's sandwich and Duke's freak out about the way Bruce was eating a hamburger was all great. I need more of this from King and I'm really hoping his next book is more like Grayson and this.

Shade the Changing Girl

"Oh shit!" is about all I can say?

Zombine

Banned
I'll read all of these $5 books (with the exception of Maul) when they are released in volumes for that IST discount.

Edit: I had a nightmare about GAF last night. Time to take a break from the internet.

Messi

I'll read all of these $5 books (with the exception of Maul) when they are released in volumes for that IST discount.

Edit: I had a nightmare about GAF last night. Time to take a break from the internet.

You don't have to worry about sillymonkey OTs ever happening. He is dead now.

Samnee Black Widow #1 - #6: This was sooo good. The amount of dialogue (or lack of it) is perfect for the type of story they are telling. And I like it that most of the arc was actually based on just Black Widow without bringing in every other superhero for a guest appearance. Why is it ending after 12 issues? :(

Only nitpick was that the trade made for some confusing double page spreads where I couldn't figure out if it was a double page spread due to the bad binding.

Also, this must have been really difficult to read month-to-month.

Great new thread again guys :)

As usual I'm pretty late to the party catching up with issues but just a couple of batman things. Got to say unless the next issue of All Star Bats picks up I think its in the drop zone for me. Really liked his main title run, but he just seems all over the place in All Star, the first arc was just one stupid bat gadget after another, that joke wore thin fast and when the story arc actually did get round to focusing on two face what story it did try to fit in the last issue of the arc didn't make sense. The art for the Mr Freeze issue was great but again the story was all over the place. It's almost like after the success of the main title there just letting him do whatever crazy idea he wants with no one reigning him in. I'm keeping hopeful with the new artist and a poison ivy issue maybe things will pick up, but so disappointing so far.

Also did *Justice League vs Suicide Squad Spoiler*
anyone else find it really jarring in the last issue when Batman just accepted the Suicide Squad carrying on, it was almost like out of nowhere he went, you know what keep your secret slave labour assassin squad going (because you know its worked so well in the past for everyone), don't even bother taking the bombs out of peoples skulls, its all good with me. Just seemed like such a cop out from the earlier issues.

On a up side though Panther stays winning, a really great issue showing that the only way Wakanda can keep going is joining the view of the government with the hopes of the people. Plus that showing that the only way to fight mind control and preaching anger/hate is to preach back hope, was a bit on the nose but message is as valid as ever. Think were building up to a pretty big last few issues.

Also did *Justice League vs Suicide Squad Spoiler*
anyone else find it really jarring in the last issue when Batman just accepted the Suicide Squad carrying on, it was almost like out of nowhere he went, you know what keep your secret slave labour assassin squad going (because you know its worked so well in the past for everyone), don't even bother taking the bombs out of peoples skulls, its all good with me. Just seemed like such a cop out from the earlier issues.

Very much so!

They're all killers, Amanda Waller still just walked into the fucking Batcave and took shit from Batman, they have bombs in their heads, she is keeping dangerous people at large an in captive. I could see him having a shit ton of issues with the Suicide Squad. It felt very weird.

Zombine

Banned
You don't have to worry about sillymonkey OTs ever happening. He is dead now.

I had this weird dream that I went to sign on to gaf, but I noticed that my tag was "Banned Forever-Don't Respond To Me" and I could still post but it was like I wasn't there. But the "Forever" part you could hear and it sounded exactly like this https://youtu.be/r0H6R7xRytk . Then I woke up and I checked gaf and it didnt show up for me. Then I woke up for real and everything was fine.

Holy shit it was weird.

Very much so!

They're all killers, Amanda Waller still just walked into the fucking Batcave and took shit from Batman, they have bombs in their heads, she is keeping dangerous people at large an in captive. I could see him having a shit ton of issues with the Suicide Squad. It felt very weird.

Yeah definitely, its like the squad represent everything Batman's against. Plus Waller was giving him shit through the whole series and she just gets away with it because they've got a Suicide Squad comic to sell. They could have at least made an attempt to keep the story going, like the Squad carrying on but going into hiding so the League can't find them, then having them cross over in future issues/stories. The reasoning they gave was because Killer Frosts a good person the whole Squad can be accepted, seems like Frost is a good person despite the Squad and Waller not because of them, I mean Waller was trying to get her to kill a defenseless Max Lord a few pages before the end.

Quake1028

For the #1's, these look interesting at first glance:

Super Sons #1
Elektra #1
Kingpin #1
Darth Maul #1
The Old Guard #1
Baltimore: The Red Kingdom #1

Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other on these?

Yeah definitely, its like the squad represent everything Batman's against. Plus Waller was giving him shit through the whole series and she just gets away with it because they've got a Suicide Squad comic to sell. They could have at least made an attempt to keep the story going, like the Squad carrying on but going into hiding so the League can't find them, then having them cross over in future issues/stories. The reasoning they gave was because Killer Frosts a good person the whole Squad can be accepted, seems like Frost is a good person despite the Squad and Waller not because of them, I mean Waller was trying to get her to kill a defenseless Max Lord a few pages before the end.

I feel like the ending of the cross-over even gave the perfect out to stop the current SS. Batman demands them to stop and she agrees then she drops the bomb of them being Task Force XI, or the next SS. The conclusion just felt so weird, that and the way it ended so fast it made me dislike the cross over more by the end because it all just felt even more like just a way to spark the JLA. It just felt so anti-climactic and mostly uneventful. Everyone on the JL was pissed when they found out about the team and not only are the rest of them ok with it but most of all Batman is starting a second team with some Villains on it? Yeah with Clayface there is precedence but coming out of this it feels cheesy as hell.

For the #1's, these look interesting at first glance:

Super Sons #1
Elektra #1
Kingpin #1
Darth Maul #1
The Old Guard #1
Baltimore: The Red King #1

Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other on these?

Super Sons, Tomasi writing and Jon and Damian are amazing. I can't wait for it.

LProtag

I'm thinking about picking up at least one Marvel title. Seems like Ms. Marvel is a good choice? My wallet is going to hate me for buying all the trades of a 5th series...

shingi70

Banned
New Valaint book is dope

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0...als-eric-heisserer-bringing-back-90s-villain/

SW_designs_001-600x402.jpg

SW_001_COVER-A_ALLEN-600x891.jpg

Ha, Duggan answered me when I asked if he was going to set many stories on Earth for his GotG. His answer was pretty much "I've written this for months now and I've yet to put a guardian's foot on Earth." He'll still probably have to get them there later due to Marvel events but it's nice to have someone who remembers the cosmic part of the book.

caliph95

Ha, Duggan answered me when I asked if he was going to set many stories on Earth for his GotG. His answer was pretty much "I've written this for months now and I've yet to put a guardian's foot on Earth." He'll still probably have to get them there later due to Marvel events but it's nice to have someone who remembers the cosmic part of the book.
Duggan and Al Eiwing are the unsung heroes of marvel. Whose idea was it to set it on earth when everybody even casual and movie fans like the guardians because of space stuff.

CazTGG

Champions #5: The newest issue could not have come out at a better time. It might be a bit on the nose and Gwenpool feels completely out of place among the other characters but it remains one of Marvel's most solid ongoing reads.

Messi

will do, thanks!

dont really know much about 52 batman neither so i guess this should help

Snyder and Capullos Batman from the same time is also amazing and a great companion to see what Bruce does without Damian around.

Samnee Black Widow #1 - #6: This was sooo good. The amount of dialogue (or lack of it) is perfect for the type of story they are telling. And I like it that most of the arc was actually based on just Black Widow without bringing in every other superhero for a guest appearance. Why is it ending after 12 issues? :(

Only nitpick was that the trade made for some confusing double page spreads where I couldn't figure out if it was a double page spread due to the bad binding.

Also, this must have been really difficult to read month-to-month.

I've really enjoyed reading it month-to-month to be honest. Can't wait for the inevitable HC though.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They are kind of leaving him to Tomasi, Gleason and Percy. It's better this way imo.

Havent read these books, but I think when the focus swifts to Bruce it hurts the story. In the last arc, where Bruce lost his memory of beeing Batman, I wondered all the time where the hell his son was and what he would think about the situation.

tim1138

Havent read these books, but I think when the focus swifts to Bruce it hurts the story. In the last arc, where Bruce lost his memory of beeing Batman, I wondered all the time where the hell his son was and what he would think about the situation.

Snyder doesn't like the character and said he doesn't understand how to write him, so really it's better this way.

Wasn't Dukes's codename Lark, or am I misremembering that from the New52, although I don't think they ever mentioned him by that name in Rebirth.

Top Bottom