• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed with Trinity but I liked him on Spider-man
he's got some sameface going on sometimes though
Ultimate Spidey used to come out every 3 weeks too(does it still?) and he never missed any. thats kinda pimp

Uga

I'm finally someplace I can actually buy/browse comics, would appreciate any Hellboy recommendations.

tim1138

I just want to say that very little of the offerings are fantasy.
Sandman is deeply rooted in mythology.
Dead Boy Detectives, from the scant comics we've seen them in, is more of a detective book with a paranormal twist.
Discipline seems to be some sort of erotic thriller from Peter Milligan (who is totally underrated).
Suiciders is sci-fi sporting Bermejo goodness.

So, two of the titles have fantasy elements while the others really offer a variety of genres and literary scenarios.

I get the save-money mentality when it comes to comics because there's always going to be too many books for your wallet, but it sucks that you just kind of brushed off this wonderful Vertigo resurgence that we're getting with an odd generalized comment about the books.

Yooo, shots fired. So you're saying she's ghostwriting Casanova?! And Hawkeye?!

Haha, yes! All his stuff should be credited to Mr Kelly Sue DeConnick. To be fair I just tracked down Casanova this week, but his Marvel stuff does nothing for me, and I've tried most of it.

I've read like 2-3 things from Fraction and the first 7 issues of DeConnick's Cap Marvel (and an issue of Avengers Assemble) and I can't agree with that at all. She's not bad or anything but i've yet to be really impressed by her.

I'm trying my best to read through Ultimate Spider-Man on Marvel Unlimted but I don't know if I can. It's so shitty-I fucking despise Mark Bagley's art with a passion and the writing is Bendis at his worst. How can the same man who turned out Daredevil and All-New X-Men be the same person responsible for this and Age of Ultron??

All-New X-Men might be the most BENDIS thing ever written. It reads like fanfiction.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Reading Crisis on Infinite Earths. What was the general consensus on this?

Was trying to find Infinite Crisis and got mixed up at the shop :/ How's that too?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Haha, yes! All his stuff should be credited to Mr Kelly Sue DeConnick. To be fair I just tracked down Casanova this week, but his Marvel stuff does nothing for me, and I've tried most of it.

Ah man, post your thoughts once you've read through some of it! Nobody talks about Casanova here but it's literally a top 5 comic for me currently. I read Casanova before I even knew who Fraction was, so it's always the book I most associate with him.

tim1138

Ah man, post your thoughts once you've read through some of it! Nobody talks about Casanova here but it's literally a top 5 comic for me currently. I read Casanova before I even knew who Fraction was, so it's always the book I most associate with him.

Will do. I'll probably get to it later this week.

tim1138

Was trying to find Infinite Crisis and got mixed up at the shop :/ How's that too?

CoIE was the original universe rebooting event, it's a good read that still stands up today.

Quake1028

DC COMICS
GREEN ARROW #22
GREEN LANTERN #22

IMAGE COMICS
DARK SKULLKICKERS DARK #1
INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE #4
SATELLITE SAM #1
TEN GRAND #3

MARVEL COMICS
AVENGERS #15

From the previous thread:

Lots of great independent titles you could read instead of stuff like Katana.

I have a hard time getting into Image style comics for the most part because I'm really invested in the concept of a shared universe. I could get titles like Mass Effect, for example, because they tie into the games. The only reason I got into Saga was because I was able to get a good deal on the first five from TTOB before he left the boards. Ten Grand because I'm a huge JMS fan from his work on Babylon 5 so I'll look at most anything he does.

That said, I'm not completely against the idea, and I'm always listening to peoples opinions on independant titles in these threads.

From the previous thread:

I have a hard time getting into Image style comics for the most part because I'm really invested in the concept of a shared universe. I could get titles like Mass Effect, for example, because they tie into the games. The only reason I got into Saga was because I was able to get a good deal on the first five from TTOB before he left the boards. Ten Grand because I'm a huge JMS fan from his work on Babylon 5 so I'll look at most anything he does.

That said, I'm not completely against the idea, and I'm always listening to peoples opinions on independant titles in these threads.

invincible might be up your alley then. big shared universe by kirkman.

Huh. That's a really good price. I think I might just take you up on that link. Anyone bought this? How is the paper quality?

I own it, it's pretty nice. Paper seems a little better than the Walking Dead Compendiums. One thing to bear in mind, there are no back-up stories included.

I'll probably be buying the second one. It's currently £49 pre-order on Amazon UK, hoping that comes down a bit.

The batman cover has to be one of the dumbest images I've ever seen:

KBJO4Rx.jpg

Personally I loved it. To be fair, it was one of the first comics I read, not that it was mine. My cousin saw I was getting into comics and dropped the YOU NEED TO READ THIS, and had me sit and read them in his room. Blew my young mind, and I felt like holy shit they;ve just gone ahead and created this whole new universe and new stories for me. It's why I'm a big supporter of rebooting an entire universe every 25 - 30 years. Give each generation their own version.

That's exactly what I want to do...where do I start, GAF?

batman and son
Batman: the black glove
Batman RIP

Batman and Robin
Return of bruce wayne

Batman inc vol 1
Batman inc vol 2 demon star (Nu 52)

i imagine he final trade is out late this year.

the earlier trades you should be able to find on the cheap

ElNarez

Banned
Aren't the most recent reprints Batman and Son + The Black Glove in one convenient easy-to-read volume ?

Also, saying Fraction doesn't write his scripts is Incredible Crazytalk; and I've said some crazy bullshit over the course of those Comic-GAF thread so I'm an expert on the subject of inflammatory nonsense.

Lombaszko

That's exactly what I want to do...where do I start, GAF?

If you really want to go down this rabbit hole, I'm listing mostly trades here:
-Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
-Batman & Son
-Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul (Only two issues from here)
-Batman: The Black Glove
-Batman: R.I.P.
-Final Crisis
-Batman & Robin Vol 1
-Batman & Robin Vol 2
-Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
-Batman: Time and the Batman
-Batman & Robin Vol 3
-Batman: The Return
-Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1
-Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1: Demon Star (The New 52)

Then you are pretty much caught up through Batman Inc #6 (New 52).

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Aren't the most recent reprints Batman and Son + The Black Glove in one convenient easy-to-read volume ?

Also, saying Fraction doesn't write his scripts is Incredible Crazytalk; and I've said some crazy bullshit over the course of those Comic-GAF thread so I'm an expert on the subject of inflammatory nonsense.

Yeah, It's called Batman The Black Glove Deluxe. Really nice hardcover that combines the first two chapters of Morrison's Bats.

I finished reading Supergods a couple of days ago and started skimming through Grant Morrison's bibliography and came across this (Quoted for size):

It piqued my interest instantly, because -for reasons unknown- I'm a sucker for huge omnibuses like this and also because I have a man-crush on Greg Rucka and Mark Waid :D What's the verdict, is this worth the time and effort?

apperntly image expo is today.

here is a keynote live blog

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46396

Brubaker announced "Velvet" – a new series with his "Captain America" partner Steve Epting. He described the book as espionage-flavored similar to their "Cap" work but more grounded and twisted. The idea is one the writer has been planning for eight years and looking for an artist for as long. Epting joined discussions on the book five years ago, and since then, the writer was waiting for the artist to finish out his Marvel exclusive contract so he could draw the book. The story focuses on Velvet Templeton, a personal assistant to world's largest intelligence agency in the vein of Moneypenny from the James Bond films. She has to leave desk job to go back into the field, on the run from her own agents in the new series. Brubaker wrapped his description saying the book will be like "a Bond or Mission Impossible movie to mashed into a meta textual cold war scenario."

6999.gif

frye

[JMS] revealed he's also developing a six-issue series with artist Bill Seinkiewicz called "Alone." In that book, he wants to "deconstruct the way a comic book works...You dont just want someone who works outside the box, you want someone who lives outside the box. Bill lives five blocks down from the box."

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

God damn it.. Seinkiewicz drawing a JMS book. fuck i have to bu a JMS book now.

The writer then revealed he's also developing a six-issue series with artist Bill Seinkiewicz called "Alone." In that book, he wants to "deconstruct the way a comic book works...You dont just want someone who works outside the box, you want someone who lives outside the box. Bill lives five blocks down from the box
."

[JMS] revealed he's also developing a six-issue series with artist Bill Seinkiewicz called "Alone." In that book, he wants to "deconstruct the way a comic book works...You dont just want someone who works outside the box, you want someone who lives outside the box. Bill lives five blocks down from the box."

"HAHAHAHA, GOTCHA NOW, SUCKERS!" - JMS internal monologue

8bit

Knows the Score
I finished reading Supergods a couple of days ago and started skimming through Grant Morrison's bibliography and came across this (Quoted for size):

It piqued my interest instantly, because -for reasons unknown- I'm a sucker for huge omnibuses like this and also because I have a man-crush on Greg Rucka and Mark Waid :D What's the verdict, is this worth the time and effort?

Yeah, it's good. Mostly spotlights on B-List characters but lots of nice touches.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

DAMN IT! I swore never to buy his shit again.

New @mattfraction book in 2014. ODY-C. The Odyssey in space with gender roles reversed.

Ody-C" will be set chronologically after a big cosmic war in space, telling the story as though these reigning champions are heading home, but there are "celestial super-cosmic beings" standing in the way of the hero on her way back to her family. The book will publish in early 2014 and be drawn by Christian Ward.
Remender on stage now!!

Image is putting hot banger after hot banger

New @mattfraction book in 2014. ODY-C. The Odyssey in space with gender roles reversed.

Remender on stage now!!

Image is putting hot banger after hot banger

Hmmm Mr. Penelope waiting back home fighting off hordes of ladies sounds potentially hilarious.

edit: TO THE DUDE ASKING ABOUT THE 52 OMNIBUS: Pretty much every fan loves 52 the series. It was supposed to be a big event that was a slave to continuity but derailed itself pretty much instantly and became more about the minor characters of the universe having adventures without the attention hogs in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom