• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sex Criminals Preview

I might give this a go depending on the size of my pull list come September. I know there are a lot of good-looking comics hitting in the fall and I like to keep my pull list lean and mean. And I'm not really sure I'm a fan of Fraction. It's too early to decide on that, but the couple of comics I've read of his, I haven't liked (FF and Hawkeye).

Owzers

From a pure collectors stand point. The only time an Image book will have real value thats up there with their super hero counterparts would be if the story become succesful in other mediums ex. Walking Dead. Am I right there? I read Image books like East of West and wonder if there will be a demand for this book years from now.

I'd take my chances with a standout image book over a normal marvel/dc book for value. I just decided to quit trying to sell Justice League of America 1-7 along with the lightning saga JL issues because they have no value whatsoever monetarily, to the salvation army they go. Same with some New Avengers civil war issues, Checkmate 1-5 by Rucka.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Sex Criminals Preview

I'll might give this a go depending on the size of my pull list come September. I know there are a lot of good-looking comics hitting in the fall and I like to keep my pull list lean and mean. And I'm not really sure I'm a fan of Fraction. It's too early to decide on that, but the couple of comics I've read of his, I haven't liked (FF and Hawkeye).

Check out Casanova. It's his best comic and his personal project that he's been pouring love into for a long time. Also, you've got Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon on art, which is an instant-win.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sex Criminals Preview

I might give this a go depending on the size of my pull list come September. I know there are a lot of good-looking comics hitting in the fall and I like to keep my pull list lean and mean. And I'm not really sure I'm a fan of Fraction. It's too early to decide on that, but the couple of comics I've read of his, I haven't liked (FF and Hawkeye).

Well, that's going to be something. Going to be a hell of a thing to recommend that to anyone. "Hey, I'm really into sex criminals right now! You should check out the new sex criminals!" That said it looks like it'll be interesting.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
From a pure collectors stand point. The only time an Image book will have real value thats up there with their super hero counterparts would be if the story become succesful in other mediums ex. Walking Dead. Am I right there? I read Image books like East of West and wonder if there will be a demand for this book years from now.

But that collector's standpoint can go fuck itself. The value in comics is not their monetary worth, but how good they are as stories. A collector should only concern themselves with that. Anything otherwise is deeply unhelpful to the medium. See - the 90s.

But that collector's standpoint can go fuck itself. The value in comics is not their monetary worth, but how good they are as stories. A collector should only concern themselves with that. Anything otherwise is deeply unhelpful to the medium. See - the 90s.

I do not disagree. But from my trips to my LCS, a big portion of this hobby is still dedicated to collecting for monetary gain. Hopes of getting the big one that will result in a payday in the future.

Tizoc

Yo where the August thread at?

Anyways-

Daredevil 29 was fantastic, Silver Surfer looks terrific in the preview image for next issue.

Sonic the Hedgehog #251
Great finish to this cross over. Overall fun writing and some great action. A shame the art is weak in the first 8 issues but they're not that terrible IMO.
I love all the nods to the games:
YYHnKgF.jpg

Transformers More than meets the eyes 18 and 19
Holy fucking shit, I swear every villain in this series is so insane they can't be cured.
...and Ratchet...YOU IN HELL BRAH, STAY STRONG!

Sex Criminals Preview

:0

If you don't like Hawkguy, it's just your taste in comics that's faulty. ;)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
did anyone order the Lying Cat shirt from Saga?

any word on the shirt brand it's printed on? I wanna know what kind of sizing differences I'm looking at here before I hit the place order button.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
The New 52 Flash has amazing art, the story is pretty mediocre though.

Pretty much. Manapul is incredible but holy shit, can we get a real fucking writer on board?

arkon

So, in light of the Animan Omnibus dropping soon, anybody else read the Animal Man Annual this week? I know art gets the shaft in comics often in terms of praise but Travel Foreman MAKES the new Animal Man. The dude mixes beautiful and grotesque shapes and figures so well and really puts out the nice pseudo-horror vibe the comic had when it started.

Shame that Lemire just kinda stopped writing anything worth reading in the comic a long time ago and is still struggling to get some forward momentum on it.

This has been my problem with it. I dropped it a few months ago and haven't really missed it. I wish I'd dropped it sooner.

Wickwire

Went to my local comic shop for the first time in years today. I picked up the last of us #4. I was lazy and missed the first 3 and had to buy them online. As soon as I walked in i knew I was hooked again. I also want to support one of the last remaining comic books stores in my town.

So what are some good newer books I should look into reading? anything I don't mind the art style, just want them to be well written. thanks for your suggestions

My Green Arrow buy above is a recent arc with good talent that gets alot of praise.

Batman/Superman just started.

Batman Zero Year just started and is 2 issues and an annual in.

East of West is 4 in with the number 1 should be easy to find. 4 printings.

Lazarus just started.

Superman Unchained just started.

X-Men al girls team is only 3 in and good.

Superior Foes of Spiderman is one issue in.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My Green Arrow buy above is a recent arc with good talent that gets alot of praise.

Batman/Superman just started.

Batman Zero Year just started and is 2 issues and an annual in.

East of West is 4 in with the number 1 should be easy to find. 4 printings.

Lazarus just started.

Superman Unchained just started.

X-Men al girls team is only 3 in and good.

Superior Foes of Spiderman is one issue in.

Check out Rick Remender's run of Captain America. It started late last year.

And Hawkeye if you aren't already reading it.

Deprive

Great artist but I don't think his style matches half the books he's put on.

I can totally agree with this. Dude is a cheesecake artist at heart.

I think Arrow could take Hawkeye. But I'm basing that on Marvel being grounded more in reality than DC. Never been a fan of either sooo.. :\

ReiGun

Lets end July thread with this discussion.

Green Arrow vs Hawkeye. Who wins?

In a fight? Hawkeye. Who has the better comic right now? Hawkeye. Who do I personally like more? Well, seeing as I play both characters in their companies' respective fighting games, I'd say it's a wash. :p

Filthy Slug

Thanks.

Any good Flash cartoon or movie or anything? I remember watching the JL cartoon as a kid and his character was the best.

Flashpoint Paradox. Although, that's just a Batman movie that features a lot of Flash.

I wonder if Sidekick will be any good. I can't tell squat from the preview. I like the concept, but I've heard (primarily from podcasts) that JMS has been producing poor quality content for some time now.

Anyone here planning to pick it up?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Well. Im reading aquaman again. Its really pretty and im the type of a dude who will pick pretty over well written any day...yet i gave up on the flash. The flash. My favorite DC character. I think i'll just pick up Dicks and The Boys back issues and lay low for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom