• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a crazy deal by accident today. Was in Newbury Comics to look for used blu rays, and they had this beauty in:
61jPSCY2xWL.jpg

List price of $125. They had it marked down to $29.99. Fucking amazing deal. Sadly, the other omnibuses they had in were not quite as great, although the Evolutionary War omnibus for $20 was tempting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Miles and Sawyer for main dudes right?

They both have upcoming TV shows, and Josh Holloway's is pretty much guaranteed to be a success since it's a crime procedural on CBS.

That dream cast isn't happening :(

DeVeAn

I can't decide whether to go singles or collected editions. Collected makes more sense but, I like the covers and being caught up ugh. Suggestions?

Owzers

I can't decide whether to go singles or collected editions. Collected makes more sense but, I like the covers and being caught up ugh. Suggestions?
Start with singles and go from there, maybe do a little of both, but be consistent when it comes to marvel and dc for continuity. Image has great trade roll outs, dc takes forever, marvel is more expensive compared to the other two but monthly 3.99 books come with digital codes

Today I finished reading Abnett’s Guardians Of The Galaxy and The Thanos Imperative via Comixology. Both were incredible reads and enjoyed the hell out of them. I love some good sci-fi and I have to say Marvel’s cosmic has some great stuff.

But reading them ruined my enjoyment of Bendis’ GotG. In Abnett’s GotG, Star-Lord’s goal or idea is to assemble a group of different personalities to protect the galaxy in the aftermath of two devastating events. In Bendis’ GotG, the GotG exist to protect Earth. I mean it is too early to judge Bendis’ GotG run, but I do not like the Earth focus of it after reading Abnett’s version. I mean their name is Guardians Of The Galaxy and not Guardians Of The Earth. Furthermore it is like Hickman’s Avengers are taking over the job of the Guardians. Protecting the galaxy against the Builders etc. Still Bendis’ GotG aren’t bad, it is my favorite Marvel Now series. But yeah my enjoyment went down.

mrhGB

Banned
I finished "Old man Logan" yesterday, it was my first comic series ever and I enjoyed it. I'll definitely read some more Wolverine stuff.

Aaaaaand it's Sunday. List time. :D

Movement #4
Trillium #1
Fatale #16
Prophet #38
Saga - Lying Cat T-Shirt
All-New X-Men #15

...And that's the week for me.

*Looking ahead to next weeks list, it looks like those shitheads at Marvel put Fearless Defenders up to $3.99... Those shitty shitfaces.

kswiston

I finished "Old man Logan" yesterday, it was my first comic series ever and I enjoyed it. I'll definitely read some more Wolverine stuff.

If you liked that story, the same author had a Wolverine run in regular continuity.

Wolverine (vol 2) #20-32

The run consists of 2 six issue stories and a standalone issue. The first story is called Enemy of the State, and the second is called Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. The standalone issue is a WW2 story. Enemy of the State was the best of the bunch, but the whole run was pretty good. Just don't expect the same sort of art style as Old Man Logan.

List!

Detective Comics #23
Dial H #15 Have to buy the last one.
Green Arrow #23
Green Lantern #23
Trillium #1
Phantom Stranger #11
Fatale #16
Sheltered #2
Superior Carnage #2
Superior Foes of Spiderman #2
Superior Spiderman #15

TheFallen

When the New 52 first launched, I was pulling nearly half the books they had. About 6 months later, I started dropping DC titles as very few felt like they were going anywhere any time soon. Recently, I've switched to digital and decided to jump back in where I left off. Just caught up on Snyder's Batman and Tomasi's B&R, so good. Time to go back on my pull list.

When the New 52 first launched, I was pulling nearly half the books they had. About 6 months later, I started dropping DC titles as very few felt like they were going anywhere any time soon. Recently, I've switched to digital and decided to jump back in where I left off. Just caught up on Snyder's Batman and Tomasi's B&R, so good. Time to go back on my pull list.

They have a few good titles in the New 52, but for the most part, a lot of it just doesn't interest me. I don't have many DC books on my pull-list, even if you're counting Vertigo. Otherwise it's just Batwoman, Batgirl, The Movement and WW.

I have no books coming out this week, except maybe Trillium if i end up getting that. I have back issues though so i still get to spend money.

Also Half Past Danger looks pretty damn cool and the 2nd printing comes out this week, i might go in for that.

arkon

Catalyst Comix #2
Dial H #15
Transformers: RID #20
Manhattan Projects #13
Prophet #38

No Marvel titles for me this week which is unusual. Pretty light week all told.

ElNarez

Banned
Sunday lists? Sunday lists.
Detective Comics #23
Dial H #15
Earth 2 #15 (Is that Robinson's last? Considering September is a huge bag of nonsense, I'm asking)
Green Arrow #23
Swamp Thing #23 (Yo, for real, it's DC's most underrated book, get #22 right the fuck now it's excellent)

Manhattan Projects #13
Satellite Sam #2 (Maybe the second issue won't read like a Wikipedia entry on Television in the 50s)

All-New X-Men #15
Avengers #17
Cable and X-Force #12
Iron Man #14 (THE SECRET ORIGIN OF GOATSE IRON MAN)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man #2 (This is where Spencer ruins all the goodwill #1 has bought him, right?)
X-Factor #260

Any opinion on Artifacts from Image Comics? Think I'm gonna pick up an issue or two.

Very, very good.
Marz focuses on character and world building. It is very rewarding if you have a vague idea who the different characters are.

But beware, there are three thins that you may have to know before diging in:
1) The first 13 issues form a long story about the gathering of the artifacts and has Sara Pezzini (Witchblade) and Jackie Estacado (Darkness) as main characters. I would describe it as a "cross over event done right", as it builds very much on the work done in "Trinity", "Broken Trinity" and "War of the Witchblades" that were written by Marz and came before.
2) The second arc from issue 4 to 8 has some very weired art. But the rest of the series is really beautiful!
3) With 14 it starts to focus on the lives of individual characters much more and is more or less several very good short stories set in the same universe and connected by a few common threads.

dan2026

Why is Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy so freaking crappy?

It reads like a guy who has no idea who any of the characters are and doesn't care.

Its like some bizarro universe Guardians where everything is shitty.

FYC

Banned
Is Walt Simonson's run on Thor available digitally? On Comixology I see the first two Visionaries are up, but I don't believe that's all there is.

the chris

Why is Bendis' Guardians of the Galaxy so freaking crappy?

It reads like a guy who has no idea who any of the characters are and doesn't care.

Its like some bizarro universe Guardians where everything is shitty.

So it's typical Bendis non street-level hero writing then?

Very, very good.
Marz focuses on character and world building. It is very rewarding if you have a vague idea who the different characters are.

But beware, there are three thins that you may have to know before diging in:
1) The first 13 issues form a long story about the gathering of the artifacts and has Sara Pezzini (Witchblade) and Jackie Estacado (Darkness) as main characters. I would describe it as a "cross over event done right", as it builds very much on the work done in "Trinity", "Broken Trinity" and "War of the Witchblades" that were written by Marz and came before.
2) The second arc from issue 4 to 8 has some very weired art. But the rest of the series is really beautiful!
3) With 14 it starts to focus on the lives of individual characters much more and is more or less several very good short stories set in the same universe and connected by a few common threads.

Thank you for your response. I think I'm just going to jump right in with issues #29 and #30. Reading the solicit for issue #29 last month is what made me interested in the book. If I'm not feeling it, I'll add it to my list of things to check out in collections and take it from the top at a later date.

tim1138

DC
EARTH 2 #15 - after this, only one more Robinson issue left, so very sad
GREEN ARROW #23 - how will Andrea Sorrentino blow my mind this month?
TRINITY OF SIN THE PHANTOM STRANGER #11 - the Justice League goes to...
Heaven
?

Vertigo
ANIMAL MAN OMNIBUS - 700 pages of Grant Morrison, fun for the whole family!
TRILLIUM #1 - finally, it feels like I've been waiting for this book forever

MANHATTAN PROJECTS #13 - holy crap, this issue is finally coming out?

Marvel
ALL NEW X-MEN #15- this will probably be my last issue for awhile, not interested in the Battle of the Atom crossover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom