• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I just realized, I haven't actually read anything by Jeff Lemire... Hm.

haven't actually read anything by Jeff Lemire

Jeff Lemire

WAT. Dude, we need to fix this like, yesterday. Sweet Tooth is an absolutely phenomenal series. The Underwater Welder and The Nobody are really really great OGNs too. I can't really get onboard with Lemire being too indie or obtuse or anything either. Dude writes extremely personal character driven stuff that always ends up having a really interesting plot around it too. Imo he has one of the best grasps on characterisation in the medium. His plots might be fantastical in some cases but his style and how he tackles the themes he wants to explore makes him one of the easiest writers to recommend to anyone just getting into comics. Some of the stuff in Sweet Tooth is gut wrenchingly sad too, there's a few pages in there that I can barely read they are so brutal
Buddy
. I really really think Sweet Tooth is up there with Locke and Key and Y the Last man as a quintessential book to recommend to people who want to get into the medium smoothly, AND read one of the best pieces of work around. The only thing against it in that regard is the art is more divisive than anything in the other two books I mentioned there.

In what world are Jeff Lemire creator owned books obtuse or pretentious? I've yet to read Trillium, but the rest of his stuff (even Sweet Tooth) is typically about interpersonal relationships and ideas of family. Essex County, for example, is a fantastic slice of life book about growing up and living in rural Canada. Hardly what one would call pretentious. I saw Underwater Welder mentioned, despite it's somewhat fantastic setting, at its heart it's about fathers and sons and Lemire writing his way through his own impending fatherhood.

I basically agree with this word for word haha. Coincidentally, the Underwater Welder and The Nobody out on my coffee table to reread this week while I'm between new trades.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So yeah, catching up on Moon Knight stuff I'd missed out on in the past several years.

Boy, Shadowland: Moon Knight is fucking garbage. Like, up there with Kavanagh's run on Marc Spector: Moon Knight in terribleness. "Hey, Randall's alive all of a sudden even though Punisher killed him back in the 90s and he shoots eye lasers now because radiation and also RANDOM MISCARRIAGE PLOT FOR NO REASON".

Holy fuck it's just so awful.

Donos

I need really long vacation. The marvel unlimited offer really comes to a bad time. Too much gaming backlog, i have to learn/read up alot of stuff for work and also want to power through all the Guardians of the Galaxy and Annihilation comics ;_;

Time to stay home on a sunny summer weekend.

How can i add all the Guardians of the Galaxy 2008 - 2010 issues to the library at once in the Marvel Unlimited app? Do i have to add every issue by hand? -_-

phoenixyz

I just read the first TBP of Rat Queens. How could I have missed this so far? I'm usually not someone who laughs out loud reading a book. Well, guess what happened several times per issue/chapter. I need this in my veins monthly I think.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Finally finished reading the first trade of Sex Criminals. This comic book. This fucking comic book.

Makes me want to have good sex with the gf (not that we ever have bad sex but hey).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Obtuse by comic standards is interpersonal lol. His creator owned books are like a Paul WS Anderson wet dream. This is coming from someone who just dropped a ton of cash on Criterion movies including Mr. Fox.

In other news, who here knows how to draw like Tim Sale?

I know you're probably half kidding but you're right. When interpersonal drama between human beings means "indie" and different I think it shows the emotional level of your audience. Or, even more cynically, what the publishers think of their audience. Actually that last issue of Nightwing is a perfect example of this. Why have drama when you can have a nice bloody fight?

Essex County is incredible btw, one of the realest and most affecting books I've ever read.

I've seen the movie so I almost thought of the book as a bookshelf decoration but I pulled it off anyways to experience the definite origin story before Zero Year. I posted my impressions of both a page or two back.

Your write was why I feel the need to re-read both this month.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've seen the movie so I almost thought of the book as a bookshelf decoration but I pulled it off anyways to experience the definite origin story before Zero Year. I posted my impressions of both a page or two back.

Ouch. I'm glad you read it at least. Those pages posted a little while back reminded me of how revolutionary this book (Year One) was and still is. The art is phenomenal and would be lauded if it came out today. The writing is nicely compressed, no fat on the bones at all and set the tone of Batman for another 20+ years, it's just an amazing work. The movie is not even close to capturing the essence of the book, even though it is pretty good. Just the idea that you have it on a shelf and were considering the movie good enough... ouch!

Comparing it to Zero Year is actually very interesting. Consider - Miller's book was one of the very first realistic takes on Batman, I think it's probably hard to understand the impact of that Year One look today (especially in our era of armour). Miller stripped all the comic book gimmickery back and did a story about police corruption and organised crime in an era of comics that was still pretty light fare.

In contrast, one of the things that Snyder does in Zero Year is to add back in the day-glo colours and silly high-science supervillains back into the very roots of his origin story. The finale is a great example of this, it's a classic 60s style battle of wits with a one-note supervillain. I enjoyed the story, but Snyder didn't re-imagine The Riddler or give him a new spin. He goes right for the deathtrap and branded weaponry, high stakes and expository speeches.

In a way I think it's nice to see Snyder reconcile this shunned aspect of Batman, after all there are only so many stories you can read about him punching Italian/Russian/South American gangsters, and seeing actual colour back in the pages of Batman has been really refreshing. However, if I'm comparing the two stories on their own merits then I have to give the edge to Year One. It's so much tighter and more cohesive as a single story and much more subtle. In Zero Year (as with a fair bit of his work), I feel that Snyder often runs the theme of his story right into the ground and it can feel a little cloying. The action scenes are of course incredible, and I really like the art in general. But for me, it's like the difference between Dark Knight Rises and the Godfather. One is a fun film, the other is a classic with gravitas the other can only aspire to.

But he doesn't even TRY! Also, my point is that it should not have been his first day - Superman is defined by the fact that he starts doing what he does because of himself and not some outside factor. He's the definition of a hero and i'm so fucking tired of people changing that to some "he feels alienated and has the biggest weltschmerz of them all!" bullshit.

It's his first day on the job fighting an asshole with power levels that match his, which means its really the first time he's using his powers to their fullest extent. We see him helping people all over the place leading up to that fight. Plus as I said in other posts how many damn times does Metropolis get fucked up in the Comics, TV shows, and elsewhere. It's such a BS excuse to level on the movie when you don't on any other medium.

Listen man I'm not into the whole feeling alienated thing either, I also dislike the he's a god that walks among us take as well. To hate the movie because Metropolis got fucked up is such a petty bullshit excuse. You can't read the comics for a year with out Metropolis suffering some kind of damage. I also can't think of the last time in the comics when shit was going down and they had him try and draw it away from Metropolis.

Ed: Just read up a bit on the thread and ViewtifulJC nailed the other point: the dissonance between what we see on the screen and what the movie tells us we should feel. We see a disaster on an incredible scale, but then we get Clark making out with Lois and the "he's kinda hot" line.

Their kiss, isn't making out. If that's what you guys think making out is, well that sucks I'm sorry. Their little kiss though isn't making out. Besides the fact that it's a movie, and you need to connect them at some point, because if you didn't the brainless masses would be bitching and moaning about that too.

It's not a perfect movie, but for a live action Superman movie it was pretty damn good. It was miles better than the horse shit called Superman Returns, aka Superman is a stalker and a dead beat dad, oh we also have Superman's Kid kill a guy and Lois is the worst parent ever. I know a lot of people nostalgia hard on for the Donner films but I've never liked them. This was the first live action Superman movie I've actually liked.

At least we didn't get any made up powers like Brick laying vision, time travel, or super cellophane chest symbol.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's his first day on the job fighting an asshole with power levels that match his, which means its really the first time he's using his powers to their fullest extent. We see him helping people all over the place leading up to that fight. Plus as I said in other posts how many damn times does Metropolis get fucked up in the Comics, TV shows, and elsewhere. It's such a BS excuse to level on the movie when you don't on any other medium.

Listen man I'm not into the whole feeling alienated thing either, I also dislike the he's a god that walks among us take as well. To hate the movie because Metropolis got fucked up is such a petty bullshit excuse. You can't read the comics for a year with out Metropolis suffering some kind of damage. I also can't think of the last time in the comics when shit was going down and they had him try and draw it away from Metropolis.

They're kiss, isn't making out. If that's what you guys think making out is, well that sucks I'm sorry. They're little kiss though isn't making out. Besides the fact that it's a movie, and you need to connect them at some point, because if you didn't the brainless masses would be bitching and moaning about that too.

It's not a perfect movie, but for a live action Superman movie it was pretty damn good. It was miles better than the horse shit called Superman Returns, aka Superman is a stalker and a dead beat dad, oh we also have Superman's Kid kill a guy and Lois is the worst parent ever. I know a lot of people nostalgia hard on for the Donner films but I've never liked them. This was the first live action Superman movie I've actually liked.

At least we didn't get any made up powers like Brick laying vision, time travel, or super cellophane chest symbol.

(caveat- I really enjoyed Man of Steel, thought it was really good)

BUT the buildings falling down was actually pretty horrifying if you have the right mindset for that. It felt like thousands of people would have died in that fight, it definitely pulled me out of the movie a bit. A building blowing up in a comic is one thing, but seeing it lurch and fall onto people that are trying to run away (or at least, that's what my imagination filled in) is a bit disturbing.

But yeah, people dismissing the movie for just that reason is a bit weird to me too.

For me, be it a building exploding in a cartoon/comic or a building falling over in a movie, I realize thousands of people are going to die. Every time one of these guys gets thrown through multiple skyscrapers, people are losing their lives. It happens all the time in the cartoons (not just Superman ones here) and comics.

I suppose I can understand with it being artwork vs live action how there is a disconnect, in regards to the thousands of people now dead thing. It maybe doesn't show it as brutally in the comics/cartoons, to me though that's always been the implication.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
so I re-reading "East to West" and it just occurred to me Death is like a mix of saint of killers and Jesse from "Preacher".

Sarobi

Banned
Just finished reading Seconds. Bryan Lee O'Malley has to be one of my all time favorites, but this just didn't charm me as much as Scott Pilgrim did. Nevertheless it was still worth the read, and I'm definitely glad I picked it up at Comic Con (and got it signed!).

Zombine

Banned
I know you're probably half kidding but you're right. When interpersonal drama between human beings means "indie" and different I think it shows the emotional level of your audience. Or, even more cynically, what the publishers think of their audience. Actually that last issue of Nightwing is a perfect example of this. Why have drama when you can have a nice bloody fight?

Essex County is incredible btw, one of the realest and most affecting books I've ever read.

Yeah I was joking. I love Essex County. Lemire's writing in general appeals to me.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
*SDCC stuff*

*SDCC stuff*

Thanks for the SDCC posts, guys! Sounds like a great time!

WAT. Dude, we need to fix this like, yesterday. Sweet Tooth is an absolutely phenomenal series. The Underwater Welder and The Nobody are really really great OGNs too. I can't really get onboard with Lemire being too indie or obtuse or anything either. Dude writes extremely personal character driven stuff that always ends up having a really interesting plot around it too. Imo he has one of the best grasps on characterisation in the medium. His plots might be fantastical in some cases but his style and how he tackles the themes he wants to explore makes him one of the easiest writers to recommend to anyone just getting into comics. Some of the stuff in Sweet Tooth is gut wrenchingly sad too, there's a few pages in there that I can barely read they are so brutal
Buddy
. I really really think Sweet Tooth is up there with Locke and Key and Y the Last man as a quintessential book to recommend to people who want to get into the medium smoothly, AND read one of the best pieces of work around. The only thing against it in that regard is the art is more divisive than anything in the other two books I mentioned there.

Haha. All right, I'll make a point to read some Lemire stuff sometime soon!
Now I'm kinda glad that Zombine said those bad things about Lemire, because it made me realize how much people really love his stuff. I've heard good things about him before, but I don't remember hearing that he's super amazing.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Their kiss, isn't making out. If that's what you guys think making out is, well that sucks I'm sorry. Their little kiss though isn't making out. Besides the fact that it's a movie, and you need to connect them at some point, because if you didn't the brainless masses would be bitching and moaning about that too.
l.

Yeah, seriously...

Superman looks traumatised when he comes up to Lois. She's comforting him. The scene is literally not about 'making out.' It's about Clark being brought down from going to a very dark place through the comfort of someone he trusts completely.

MOS has a LOT of flaws. That scene isn't one of them. At all.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks for the SDCC posts, guys! Sounds like a great time!

Haha. All right, I'll make a point to read some Lemire stuff sometime soon!
Now I'm kinda glad that Zombine said those bad things about Lemire, because it made me realize how much people really love his stuff. I've heard good things about him before, but I don't remember hearing that he's super amazing.

IMO his mainstream cape stuff is very average (maybe GA is better but I fell off after a few issues) but his creator owned stuff is among the best of its kind. Personally I love his art, but I grew up with people like Quentin Blake on Roald Dahl novels so it's in that same scratchy wheelhouse.

I want one of two things from Riddler. DEATHTRAPS or Battle of Wits. So Zero Year Riddler was good for me.

Yeah, seriously...

Superman looks traumatised when he comes up to Lois. She's comforting him. The scene is literally not about 'making out.' It's about Clark being brought down from going to a very dark place through the comfort of someone he trusts completely.

MOS has a LOT of flaws. That scene isn't one of them. At all.

Are you sure it wasn't a casual Craigslist hookup?

IMO his mainstream cape stuff is very average (maybe GA is better but I fell off after a few issues) but his creator owned stuff is among the best of its kind. Personally I love his art, but I grew up with people like Quentin Blake on Roald Dahl novels so it's in that same scratchy wheelhouse.

I actually think that's quite a good thing to point out here. Normally, I make the assumption that if I like a writer, I like a writer. However with Lemire, I absolutely love his independent works, but I haven't been able to get into his DC stuff at all, the character's never seem to have the same depth. Animal Man, JLD, Frankenstein and even Green Arrow. Gave them all a swing and just couldn't get into them. Animal Man was the biggest surprise, I remember alot of people putting it above Snyder's Swamp Thing that I really really enjoyed, and was really let down by Lemire's side of the story.

It's a good time to discover Lemire though Kipp, if you end up liking him. He has two new series coming next year, Black Hammer & Descender that's he writing and a graphic novel, Roughneck, that he's writing and drawing himself. Got Trillium down in my next order off amazon, can't wait.

I rather y'all go back to tired Quietly jokes than harp on about how shit/not that bad MoS was. I avoid all the Snyder Superman threads for a reason

Cade

I rather y'all go back to tired Quietly jokes than harp on about how shit/not that bad MoS was. I avoid all the Snyder Superman threads for a reason

man i stay out of the other threads because i don't wanna hear people try to justify various stuff in MOS but i thought i could post here without fear of persecution

Damn, I had assumed Daredevil was complete on Marvel Unlimited. Read till 35 yesterday and now have a 2+ week wait to read the final chapter.

Oh man can't wait for you to get to the wet fart of a crossover leading to the wet fart of a conclusion leading to the wet fart of pretty much the rest of the run. It's all downhill from there.

If you liked what you saw, spend your time reading The Private Eye instead.

I enjoyed the rest of the issues as well. They may not have been as great as the first few chapters but they were enjoyable. Which crossover were you disappointed with?

Ouch. I'm glad you read it at least. Those pages posted a little while back reminded me of how revolutionary this book (Year One) was and still is. The art is phenomenal and would be lauded if it came out today. The writing is nicely compressed, no fat on the bones at all and set the tone of Batman for another 20+ years, it's just an amazing work. The movie is not even close to capturing the essence of the book, even though it is pretty good. Just the idea that you have it on a shelf and were considering the movie good enough... ouch!

Comparing it to Zero Year is actually very interesting. Consider - Miller's book was one of the very first realistic takes on Batman, I think it's probably hard to understand the impact of that Year One look today (especially in our era of armour). Miller stripped all the comic book gimmickery back and did a story about police corruption and organised crime in an era of comics that was still pretty light fare.

In contrast, one of the things that Snyder does in Zero Year is to add back in the day-glo colours and silly high-science supervillains back into the very roots of his origin story. The finale is a great example of this, it's a classic 60s style battle of wits with a one-note supervillain. I enjoyed the story, but Snyder didn't re-imagine The Riddler or give him a new spin. He goes right for the deathtrap and branded weaponry, high stakes and expository speeches.

In a way I think it's nice to see Snyder reconcile this shunned aspect of Batman, after all there are only so many stories you can read about him punching Italian/Russian/South American gangsters, and seeing actual colour back in the pages of Batman has been really refreshing. However, if I'm comparing the two stories on their own merits then I have to give the edge to Year One. It's so much tighter and more cohesive as a single story and much more subtle. In Zero Year (as with a fair bit of his work), I feel that Snyder often runs the theme of his story right into the ground and it can feel a little cloying. The action scenes are of course incredible, and I really like the art in general. But for me, it's like the difference between Dark Knight Rises and the Godfather. One is a fun film, the other is a classic with gravitas the other can only aspire to.

Yeah, I'm glad I read it. I don't disagree with anything you said. I really enjoyed how Snyder incorporated all styles of Batman in the ZY. To do that, it was much longer than YO but I never felt it suffered because of it. In comparison, I felt the whole DC Universe suffered at the hands of the Trinity War and Forever Evil. It wasn't terrible but it held a lot of creativity back from other books. I think I can say with confidence, that in my era of comics, since I'm new, Zero Year was my first experience at reading a modern classic month to month.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Suck it jabronies, my local was in the shortlist of some top 12 spirit of comic shops:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-28471478
Its clearly my rep alone sending out mad chill vibes.

Just finished reading Seconds. Bryan Lee O'Malley has to be one of my all time favorites, but this just didn't charm me as much as Scott Pilgrim did. Nevertheless it was still worth the read, and I'm definitely glad I picked it up at Comic Con (and got it signed!).

Flicked through a friends. Girl Who Leapt Through Time did it better. I don't think O'Malley can write characters that aren't high schoolers either or girls very well. The main character being supposedly 29 was laughable.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Yeah, I'm glad I read it. I don't disagree with anything you said. I really enjoyed how Snyder incorporated all styles of Batman in the ZY. To do that, it was much longer than YO but I never felt it suffered because of it. In comparison, I felt the whole DC Universe suffered at the hands of the Trinity War and Forever Evil. It wasn't terrible but it held a lot of creativity back from other books. I think I can say with confidence, that in my era of comics, since I'm new, Zero Year was my first experience at reading a modern classic month to month.

Yeah I could agree with that, I think it'll be a definitive Bat-run for years to come, certainly. Very consistent, big enough to be sprawling but short enough to be easily digested, it's a keeper. With your reference to Forever evil, this is a good learning experience of author driven stories vs editorial driven events for you. Even though FE was Johns' baby, it rarely felt like its own story in the same way that something like ZY did, it was still about moving pieces around the board.

So i heard Locke & Key is supposed to be pretty good, if i wanna get to that, i just wanna make sure first before i get screwed on something:

1) This is a mini-series right?

2) It is finished, has 6 volumes and there is no required prior reading correct?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I actually think that's quite a good thing to point out here. Normally, I make the assumption that if I like a writer, I like a writer. However with Lemire, I absolutely love his independent works, but I haven't been able to get into his DC stuff at all, the character's never seem to have the same depth. Animal Man, JLD, Frankenstein and even Green Arrow. Gave them all a swing and just couldn't get into them. Animal Man was the biggest surprise, I remember alot of people putting it above Snyder's Swamp Thing that I really really enjoyed, and was really let down by Lemire's side of the story.

It's a good time to discover Lemire though Kipp, if you end up liking him. He has two new series coming next year, Black Hammer & Descender that's he writing and a graphic novel, Roughneck, that he's writing and drawing himself. Got Trillium down in my next order off amazon, can't wait.
Just to try and not scare people away from Lemire's superhero work: Green Arrow is a great story that, at its core, deals with family and relationships. It's a fucking great run, and the art is stellar.

More importantly, Frankenstein was Lemire in the first half with contributions from an uncredited Matt Kindt (it always seemed like this was more Matt Kindt's project and Lemire just needed to help him get his foot in the door at DC), and then fully a Matt Kindt join, and that comic was incredible. Frank's character had tons of depth, and there were some really great emotional confrontations pumped into this monsters-fighting-bigger-fucking-monsters book.

Also, while Travel Forman was on the book, Animal Man was so damn good. The first 8 or so issues were really impressive. And then everything went to shit and Rotworld will always be remembered as the event that destroyed two comics with infinite potential.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I would have gone for 'loves depicting powerful female characters' rather than entering the dubious use of drawing.

Its ridiculous how immune he is to just any criticism. To use that fucking same face again. AGAIN. No-one calls him on this? No "RE-DRAW THIS COMPLETE ARSE YOU FUCKING HACK. WE'RE PAYING YOU REAL LIFE MONEY FOR THIS TURDSPILL."

Shouldn't Axel have said "Greg loves drawing female characters asses and it shows."?
This was Dennis Hopeless quote, so it lacked the creativity of Axel.

And whats up with these Star Wars books. Aaron was deacribing the same exact book in detail that Brian Wood was just writing. At least they already have a replacement lined up after six ussues when the next life changing project comes up.

tim1138

This was Dennis Hopeless quote, so it lacked the creativity of Axel.

Ah my bad.

Filthy Slug said:
Also, while Travel Forman was on the book, Animal Man was so damn good. The first 8 or so issues were really impressive. And then everything went to shit and Rotworld will always be remembered as the event that destroyed two comics with infinite potential.

A million times this, read the first and the last trade and call it a day. And speaking of Travel Foreman, what the hell happened to that guy? He deleted his twitter account and seems to have no online presence at all. Did he leave the biz?

Marvel seriously couldn't have made those Star Wars books any less compelling. Give me a Jabba ongoing that explores his sexual fetishes other than tying white women up. A comic aout trade embargoes. A pod racing glaxy championships ongoing. Not the same shit we've been getting for ghe past thirty years.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ah my bad.

A million times this, read the first and the last trade and call it a day. And speaking of Travel Foreman, what the hell happened to that guy? He deleted his twitter account and seems to have no online presence at all. Did he leave the biz?

Ah, man, I hope not. This page from his Krypto issue of Action Comics is one of my favorites, and the upper-right panel is just extraordinary:
krypto19.jpg

Messi

okay, I got two cards with a code for a free digital comic from Image. But they're the same code, and it says one use per customer, value $2.99 or lower. So I only get one.

I'll PM the code to first reply who asks for it, although I'm sure it'll work for as many people who wanna use it.

I'll take it if no one else wants it :)

So yeah, catching up on Moon Knight stuff I'd missed out on in the past several years.

Boy, Shadowland: Moon Knight is fucking garbage. Like, up there with Kavanagh's run on Marc Spector: Moon Knight in terribleness. "Hey, Randall's alive all of a sudden even though Punisher killed him back in the 90s and he shoots eye lasers now because radiation and also RANDOM MISCARRIAGE PLOT FOR NO REASON".

Holy fuck it's just so awful.

Everything Shadowland was pure garbage. It remains the worst rendition ever of Daredevil, Moon Knight, Luke Cake, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider...

Finished Secret Invasion. Eh, okay I guess. The core story was pretty pedestrian: Skrulls declare war and the heroes push 'em back. There are a couple of casualties that I presume are temporary.

What I did like though, is how many "hooks" Bendis had written into the MU for two or three years preceding it. It was pretty cool to see scenes replayed from, in some cases, all the way back before House of M, that were clearly written with a payoff in mind years down the road.

So, while the core story was kind of dull, I did like how detailed and well thought out all the details were.

Now on to War of Kings, Messiah CompleX, and evidently, a whole bunch of stuff about Norman Obsorn and the Thunderbolts? Actually, I probably need to go back and read Thunderbolts, because last I knew, Osborn was a crazy person talking nonsense and foaming at the mouth during Civil War, and somehow in the course of a year he's become some big menace showing up during the climax and ending of Secret Invasion.

Literally until I read this sentence I didn't realize that when people said "Snyder Superman" they meant Zack not Scott.

I was like "What did Snyder have to do with these awful Gears of War movies?"

Then I was like "Oh, right."

Messi

Literally until I read this sentence I didn't realize that when people said "Snyder Superman" they meant Zack not Scott.

I was like "What did Snyder have to do with these awful Gears of War movies?"

Then I was like "Oh, right."

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks Scott Snyder when someone mentions Snyder.

Bii

I plan on reading some Marvel events with the Marvel Unlimited promotion. Fear Itself, Civil War, House of M, Age of Ultron...I know I may be setting myself up for disappointment with a few of them but considering that I don't plan on purchasing them in trade form, reading them now would make the most sense, no?

Ah, man, I hope not. This page from his Krypto issue of Action Comics is one of my favorites, and the upper-right panel is just extraordinary:

Well that action comics issue may well be my single favorite superman issue ever. Up until that reading that issue I had thought Krypto was a stupid proliferation of the silver-age making it's way to the present. But the way Morrison frames Krypto's isolation paralleling Superman's isolation is great. Might be time to re-read that issue.

(Action Comics #13, y'all read it.)

kd-z

It's his first day on the job fighting an asshole with power levels that match his, which means its really the first time he's using his powers to their fullest extent. We see him helping people all over the place leading up to that fight.
Now that is... a very good point :|
Plus as I said in other posts how many damn times does Metropolis get fucked up in the Comics, TV shows, and elsewhere. It's such a BS excuse to level on the movie when you don't on any other medium.

Okay, here's the thing: for me the destruction of Metropolis sucks but it is NOT my main complaint. Far from it. To be honest it didn't really bother me while I was watching the movie (though the whole sequence was kinda boring - very good looking, but boring), only when I gave it some thought afterwards. Possibly because I'm not from the States and thus 9/11 doesn't hold as much meaning for me as it does for Americans.

I just don't like the general idea and themes behind the story and also thought it was badly constructed with a TON of just shitty narrative tools, lie the fucking hologram of his dad o___O

Okay, that's another good point, I used the wrong phrase :p Still I thought it was misplaced.

I was very excited for this movie as I loved the trailers, but to me it was a huge disappointment. It sure looked great but that doesn't change the fact that the story was, to me, a mess and the film broke my heart a little bit ( :( ). The Donner movies, even though troubled by their own issues, resonated with me much more (and I'm waaay too young to be nostalgic about them ;)).

I aprreciate the discussion though, guys, you showed me a couple things I didn't realize/notice/appreciate earlier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom