• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frye

That's a tempting book but man they're totally gonna rerelease it next year in volumes like they're doing with Invisibles.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I picked free media mail shipping but they shipped it via Fedex Ground. I guess it helps that I am only 150 miles away from where they ship.

My previous order from a week ago is scheduled to arrive this Saturday. They shipped that via media mail.

Edit: Doom Patrol is here!

So lucky! That's awesome though.
Mine probably has 4 or 5 business days to go before it makes it to me.

After ranting about B&N's packaging yesterday, in stark contrast is IST's.

The book is huge and heavy.

Front and rear of the book (without the jacket).

Sweet! It looks great!

Aja's art was fantastic (and rare :p) in that series, but I think the issue with the lady Fist was as good. Can't remember the artist though.

I just finished reading that one-shot with the girl Iron Fist! That was SO GOOD. The voice of the narrator was fantastic and the story in general was really great. And like you said, the art was very nice as well.

Zombine

Banned
Voted. Spike can confirm. My #1 & #2 were a lock, but spot #3 belonged to multiple books. What I picked shocked me, but it was the right thing to do.

Anth1888

Not sure if this is the best place for this but I've decided to start reading comics - I've never read one before but need a change from traditional books (crime fiction is my favourite genre).

Anyway the question is where to start? My mate is going to give me the whole Ultimate Spider-man series as he thought this would be a good start. Obviously I don't know much backstory and continuity but is there anything else for a newbie (not bothered is it's DC/Marvel/other).

Cheers.

Finished up Transformers MTMTE Volume 1

My opinion hasn't really changed since I started it. The characters and dialogue are all really fun and the colors and artwork are great. If you're looking for a fun sci-fi book, you should definitely give this a look. Now I'm off to start Volume 2.

Anth1888: If you go back a page or two you'll find posts from Grym more or less asking the same question as you. We all made a few suggestions like Hawkeye, Saga, and Invincible. Definitely check out those posts!

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Voted. Spike can confirm. My #1 & #2 were a lock, but spot #3 belonged to multiple books. What I picked shocked me, but it was the right thing to do.

For my #3, it belonged to multiple books, too, so I left my gf decide which one was better. Her first answer: "is this for one of those silly lists you vote on at that forum?"

the first issues of Supreme: Blue Rose and Low both were kinda boring but set up the rest of the series well. I guess that means i'm on board?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Not sure if this is the best place for this but I've decided to start reading comics - I've never read one before but need a change from traditional books (crime fiction is my favourite genre).

Anyway the question is where to start? My mate is going to give me the whole Ultimate Spider-man series as he thought this would be a good start. Obviously I don't know much backstory and continuity but is there anything else for a newbie (not bothered is it's DC/Marvel/other).

Cheers.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a great start, but IMO you should just read a few pages back in this thread, this question has come up a few times today even.

But really, if you want to read cape books you should have a quick think and come back with two or three characters that you think are interesting, we can help a lot more from there.

I wish i noticed that the deadline for lists passed, before it actually passed. I'd only be bent outta shape if i knew that The Auteur got really close to making the top 3

Kipp

...Just realized today is the last day for this thread. Time goes too fast sometimes.

Also, did we set a record for most posts in one Comics OT? Seems like we did some good work in this July thread.

Kipp

Rrrrrrrrrage!!! Gad dang DC you idiots. Oh well, the softcover is convincing me to save £15 on each of the following volumes so I'm ok with it. Hardbacks are for n00bz

As someone who's also a big fan of deluxe hardcovers and hardcovers in general, the paperbacks do seem like the way to go for Preacher. The hardcovers are precisely double the price for the exact same content. That's pretty poor value.

I don't own any Preacher collected editions yet (though I've read it and loved it), but I'm planning to buy the whole paperback collection once these new paperbacks have all come out.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Bro. Two words: Fuzzy. Cover.

You won.

As someone who's also a big fan of deluxe hardcovers and hardcovers in general, the paperbacks do seem like the way to go for Preacher. The hardcovers are precisely double the price for the exact same content. That's pretty poor value.

I don't own any Preacher collected editions yet (though I've read it and loved it), but I'm planning to buy the whole paperback collection once these new paperbacks have all come out.

Having read a good few issues now, it definitely does read nicer than the HCs. Trouble with small HCs is that they never open and stay open properly (same as with AmVam et al). I think I'm reconverted to softies.

And yeah that cover does feel nice :D

Anth1888

Ultimate Spider-Man is a great start, but IMO you should just read a few pages back in this thread, this question has come up a few times today even.

But really, if you want to read cape books you should have a quick think and come back with two or three characters that you think are interesting, we can help a lot more from there.

Gathered that this question would be asked a lot around here! It just occurred to me today that I should at least give comics a shot. I'm going to start Ultimate Spider-man and my mate has given me a list of the reading order to include the crossovers/team-ups which i find to be quite daunting already so I don't miss anything.

I would say Spider-man and Batman are my favourite characters though.

...Just realized today is the last day for this thread. Time goes too fast sometimes.

Also, did we set a record for most posts in one Comics OT? Seems like we did some good work in this July thread.

I'd say so; the thread seems busier than usual. It's been my first month as a 'daily checker' in here and it's great to see it usually on the front page.

Kipp

Having read a good few issues now, it definitely does read nicer than the HCs. Trouble with small HCs is that they never open and stay open properly (same as with AmVam et al). I think I'm reconverted to softies.

Yeah. Lately I've been realizing that softcovers can be just as good, and sometimes better, than hardcovers for comfortable reading. I use to have an aversion to softcovers, but they're definitely growing on me a lot.

I'd say so; the thread seems busier than usual. It's been my first month as a 'daily checker' in here and it's great to see it usually on the front page.

I just took a quick look at the past threads' post counts, and this one is definitely the most active thread yet (and way more active than the threads from even half a year ago; December OT only had 2300 posts!). It's a good time to be a part of Comics! OT.

Messi

Yeah. Lately I've been realizing that softcovers can be just as good, and sometimes better, than hardcovers for comfortable reading. I use to have an aversion to softcovers, but they're definitely growing on me a lot.

I just took a quick look at the past threads' post counts, and this one is definitely the most active thread yet (and way more active than the threads from even half a year ago; December OT only had 2300 posts!). It's a good time to be a part of Comics! OT.

How many posts did I have in the December OT?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I don't have too many large volumes to compare it to, but it does seem a bit stiff. I will have to adopt the omnibus pose that has often been suggested in this thread.

If it's super stiff, you may have to adopt the pose several times, every night.

Anybody have any idea why Superior Foes of Spider-Man is not on Marvel Unlimited?

Hasn't that been around for a while?
It's not on there? I thought it was-- that's a real shame.

And it fuels my theory that Marvel doesn't care about the series. They forced out those two absolutely pointless filler issues, raised the price to $3.99, and the second trade only has three Spencer issues.

To make things worse, the first issue that was $3.99 was the bad filler issue! It didn't even come with a digital code!

I just hope we get a nice hardcover for the series once it's over... Without the filler issues.

It's not on there? I thought it was-- that's a real shame.

And it fuels my theory that Marvel doesn't care about the series. They forced out those two absolutely pointless filler issues, raised the price to $3.99, and the second trade only has three Spencer issues.

To make things worse, the first issue that was $3.99 was the bad filler issue! It didn't even come with a digital code!

I just hope we get a nice hardcover for the series once it's over... Without the filler issues.

I could be wrong but I've looked for it a few times based on how much love it gets here and haven't found it.

Originally I planned on trade waiting, but reading a sample or two online would be nice. Confirmed what I want for Uncanny X-Force and Abnett's GOTG.

Being new, I'd love to know more about this pose, lol...
"How To Read an Omnibus", brought to you by Kipp:
YVXoMfO.png

Vyer

I really should vote one of these months.

Also, another month, another issue of East of West where I am both intrigued but also sorta wonder why I'm still reading.

And, of course, Black Science was great.

Dude Red Lanterns Annual was epic! So much goodness to talk about. I hope this book does not get pulled into event hell. It's been such a fantastic book on its own.

Yeah it was awesome. The book has done such a good job with keeping a great pace going and really holding up on its own with characters that are pretty far from the spotlight (save for Gardner). Even when they mixed Supergirl into it it was done rather well and somehow seemed to 'fit'. Soule is doing good work here.

I could be wrong but I've looked for it a few times based on how much love it gets here and haven't found it.

Originally I planned on trade waiting, but reading a sample or two online would be nice. Confirmed what I want for Uncanny X-Force and Abnett's GOTG.

I see the first six issues of Superior Foes on there? I found it by looking up Lieber's name in the creator section

Kipp

Hey Spike, can we get Kipp's diagram in the new OT? It's an important part of ComicsGAF culture.

Real talk: I'd really like to do a drawing for the new OT based on whatever the subtitle is.
However, I wouldn't want to bring down the tone of Spike's excellent OT. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom