• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReAxion

Wicked and the Divine has also had a nice start.

While true, I think Saga is easier on newcomers because the composition/design has a lot of attention placed on left-to-right reading and guiding the eye. For instance, usually the character that talks first is on the left of a given panel.

Messi

While true, I think Saga is easier on newcomers because the composition/design has a lot of attention placed on left-to-right reading and guiding the eye. For instance, usually the character that talks first is on the left of a given panel.

I had never noticed this, but that is pretty cool. I love me some saga. Bought a copy of it for a friend yesterday.

arkon

Hey Comic-GAF. I am going to keep this as short and sweet as I can because I am guessing you get this all the time and it is probably annoying. ;)

I have never read a comic book. But I want to. I want to know how/where to get started but the vast array of characters, different iterations of characters, series, authors, arcs, reboots, and whatever else is completely overwhelming to the uninitiated. Do I just jump into something at its most current issue? Or find something and then look for issue #1 of that something? Are there universally praised series that are a good starting point for the new reader? Any advice for someone new to comics?

Is it superhero comics that you're interested in or just comics in general? A lot of the creator-owned works at places like Image don't have the same intimidation factor because you're starting at the first issue with everyone else. There are some recommendations already made by Jedeye and others earlier today for that

If it is superhero books at DC/Marvel then we need a bit more to go on. There are loads of comics out there covering whole swathes of those respective universes. What sort of stuff interests you? Any characters that jump out at you?

Your question is basically like asking: I want to read books where do I start? Albeit comics have the added obfuscation factor of things like crossovers and reboots.

Grym

Are there any characters or teams you're interested in? It really is different for every character and it's easier to give some recommendations if we know what you want to get into. We have people here who read pretty much everything.

I guess if I chose a team it would be Justice League. My knowledge is very little though. My background: I grew up an 80s kid and collected every Kenner DC Super Powers and Marvel Secret Wars action figure and watched the DC Superpowers cartoon. (Odd I never moved onto the comics I guess. Hopefully not too old to get into comics ;)

iraprb1.jpg
gL8pQL4.jpg

Other than that my only exposure is basically just the various live action movies over the past decade or two.

My go-to recommendation for anyone new to Marvel/DC is Hawkeye by Matt Fraction and David Aja. You don't need to know anything about Clint or Kate and it's a fun read all the way through with some great artwork. Batman by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo is another popular choice.

I was going to ask for a less major mainstream recommendation because the big well-known-for-a-century characters have such long, convoluted, and overwhelming (to me) histories. So Hawkeye may be a good choice that I will look into if something Justice League related isn't a good starting point for a beginner.

And this is really the heart of the matter for me. Let's say I choose to get started with Hawkeye as suggested. I just did a quick wikipedia search, it says the series publication for Hawkeye is:

Vol 1: September 1983–December 1983
Vol 2: January 1994–April 1994
Vol 3: December 2003–August 2004
Vol 4: August 2012–Present

So these are all distinct storylines and your recommendation is essentially start with the first issue of the newest volume (Vol 4, Issue 1), correct? I wouldn't have to find some issue from 1983? I guess as a complete comic outsider, this is always the tripping point in understanding where to even begin.

You don't necessarily have to start on established characters/series/arcs/reboots. You could avoid DC/Marvel to start altogether. Image is a great place to start.

Saga is an excellent 'new to comics' book.

Wicked and the Divine has also had a nice start.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am looking into these now as well :)

Is it superhero comics that you're interested in or just comics in general? A lot of the creator-owned works at places like Image don't have the same intimidation factor because you're starting at the first issue with everyone else. There are some recommendations already made by Jedeye and others earlier today for that

If it is superhero books at DC/Marvel then we need a bit more to go on. There are loads of comics out there covering whole swathes of those respective universes. What sort of stuff interests you? Any characters that jump out at you?

Your question is basically like asking: I want to read books where do I start? Albeit comics have the added obfuscation factor of things like crossovers and reboots.

Yeah I think superhero stuff for right now at least.

And I know the question was broad...and that makes it really difficult to answer. DC/Marvel/Indie/something else honestly doesn't matter. In fact though I know their characters better, DC/Marvel may be the wrong choice for me because the extensive histories are complex and intimidating to me unless it is a 'lesser' character.

ReAxion

I had never noticed this, but that is pretty cool. I love me some saga. Bought a copy of it for a friend yesterday.

It's really easy to just take for granted once you're acclimated. I only started noticing it deep into 2nd read-through.

Unrelated but on the topic of great artists, the entity now occupying the San Diego Convention Center is the Subway convention.

Unai

What was the point in the marvel now and new 52 reboots? I know it was meant for new readers to ease in, but it's still seemingly confusing/convoluted for a newbie?

I guess if I chose a team it would be Justice League. My knowledge is very little though. My background: I grew up an 80s kid and collected every Kenner DC Super Powers and Marvel Secret Wars action figure and watched the DC Superpowers cartoon. (Odd I never moved onto the comics I guess. Hopefully not too old to get into comics ;)

Other than that my only exposure is basically just the various live action movies over the past decade or two.

I was going to ask for a less major mainstream recommendation because the big well-known-for-a-century characters have such long, convoluted, and overwhelming (to me) histories. So Hawkeye may be a good choice that I will look into if something Justice League related isn't a good starting point for a beginner.

And this is really the heart of the matter for me. Let's say I choose to get started with Hawkeye as suggested. I just did a quick wikipedia search, it says the series publication for Hawkeye is:

So these are all distinct storylines and your recommendation is essentially start with the first issue of the newest volume (Vol 4, Issue 1), correct? I wouldn't have to find some issue from 1983? I guess as a complete comic outsider, this is always the tripping point in understanding where to even begin.

Thanks for the recommendations. I am looking into these now as well :)

And I know the question was broad...and that makes it really difficult to answer. DC/Marvel/Indie/something else honestly doesn't matter. In fact though I know their characters better, DC/Marvel may be the wrong choice for me because the extensive histories are complex and intimidating to me unless it is a 'lesser' character.

The Justice League from the New 52 is very new reader friendly and it is also one of the DC books I like the most. There are only 3 or 4 trades released up to now so you can catch up reasonably fast.

Another recomendation is the "Injustice: Gods AMong Us" series. It is my favorite ongoing DC book as of now. It's basead on the game but cover a period of time that the game do not. You don't need to know anything about the background of any of the characters to enjoy the story. I can't emphasize enough how much I like this series.

As someone who started reading superhero comics fairly recently, I would say start with an acclaimed or newer volume. Each run can be considered a 'soft reset'. Similar to how you can start watching Doctor Who from the beginning of a new Doctor's run (without going back to the 60s to start). You can always go back to the older ones at a later time if you end up liking the character/team.

So I should just have waited with ranting ok lol.

Though it wil take longer to get on Unimited.

I think you're probably ok to rant. I doubt people will be happy with a Bendis solution to anything, especially considering MU overall has kicked any of the Annhilation-verse to the curb, importance-wise.

You are correct on both of those questions. The current Hawkeye run which began in 2012 requires no knowledge on the previous runs or anything.

One of the biggest hurdles to comics from the Big Two is the fact that you will not be able to read every single book for most characters, and that's fine. For a large majority of Marvel and DC stuff, they have very newbie-friendly starting points over the past few years. So if you want to read something like Batman or Justice League, you can start with their current series in the New 52. If you want to go beyond and read some older stories then you'll have to do some research or ask us, but for the most part it's a lot less difficult than it seems.

Yep! I downloaded the drivers.

We're all ready for you to unleash havoc on the comics industry, Rafa.
Okay. Either this check or the next I buy it. If I can translate my work ethic, I know I can do it. I know people think I am a gimmick at this point. But ai mean it from the bottom of the heart. When my Dad was inches from his life, he asked me "what are you thinking about? Becoming a comics superstar?" I will eat anyone's soul who gets in my way.

ReAxion

Yep, just start with Vol 4 Issue 1.
Or take a gamble on whether or not you'll love it by buying the first trade paperback. Here's the 2nd volume (of the current series.)

Each of those volumes are their own self contained series, essentially. If for some reason you need encyclopaedic knowledge of Hawkeye, you can go back to those, but the present series was part of Marvel NOW!, which is Marvel saying "here's a good jumping on point for everyone." They did it again with All New Marvel NOW!, but that's a story for another time. :)

Grym

Thanks to everyone who responded, seriously. It has clarified a lot to me. I think I should be able to pick up something that interests me at a good starting point now.

arkon

Invincible sounds like it would be just right for you. It's a superhero book at Image and it's all contained within that one series pretty much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincible_(comics)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's really easy to just take for granted once you're acclimated. I only started noticing it deep into 2nd read-through.

Unrelated but on the topic of great artists, the entity now occupying the San Diego Convention Center is the Subway convention.

Sammiches or trains?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
i don't know if i'm doing this right but #Notallcomicfans ?

Hey guys, why are people on the internet so angry?

Yeah, I'm not seeing the point of the article either. It's a bit vapid and obvious. People will always be angry and complain-y and shitty.

Owzers

I'm hoping Guardians of the Galaxy is legit good though, haven't liked most of these cape movies because i find them remarkably dumb. Iron Man 3 grew on me with extra viewing, but i really didn't like the last Thor movie. So much overacting without anything there.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
My votes were submitted for my top choices of the month. Much better month than I expected. My list of series I am reading is around 50 and 15 or so are either ones I am trying out (The Squidder, Low, Bodies, etc.) or ending soon (Avengers Undercover, Original Sin, etc.).

Zombine

Banned
Yeah, I'm not seeing the point of the article either. It's a bit vapid and obvious. People will always be angry and complain-y and shitty.

We exist in a bubble though. We are decent, pretty fucking cool people at ComicGAF and we definitely don't represent the majority. I'm sure there are groups of geeks that act that way, we just don't see them here.

Will they really? Is that really how we're handling it?

That's sad as hell.

In this day and age we just have to accept that there are people "representing" the things we love and being terrible and literally harming the mediums we enjoy, closing them off to other people who might be interested but then see people gang up and misogynistically trash a female critic and say 'Yeah, okay, never mind, no comics for me' and then they never get to read the Deaf Hawkeye issue?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? THAT IS A TRAGEDY OF THE HIGHEST ORDER.

Hnnng. From the back of the manhattan projects this week, out next year. Hopefully this is Feel Better Now finally resurfacing, but I guess Hickman could have ditched that for some other idea now. I know I'll buy it already.

Courtesy of Multiversity comics Click

Also, don't want to link it since it kind of has spoilers in it and stuff, and thus I wouldn't recommend for new readers, but for current readers, Multiversity has a really good interview with the Baltimore team.

Filthy Slug

Will they really? Is that really how we're handling it?

That's sad as hell.

I understand what you're saying, and you're 100% right, but I don't think that article is anything but a quickly typed out rehash of something that's been stated constantly and consistently for a while now.

You know what hits me way harder, what actually has weight to it, what is a really damn good signpost for the problem? The quote from Bendis that you posted in the thread you made about this article:

You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion.

I would like there to be more of a connection between why people read these stories, and how they act. You should see Peter Parker and then want to act like Peter Parker. You shouldn't want to be Peter Parker because you want to sling webs and punch people. It should be because you want to be someone who lives with the idea of "with great power comes great responsibility." And that means that the power of the internet and the power of your ability to interact with people, should be treated like a power. You should treat it like a responsibility.

I understand what you're saying, and you're 100% right, but I don't think that article is anything but a quickly typed out rehash of something that's been stated constantly and consistently for a while now.

You know what hits me way harder, what actually has weight to it, what is a really damn good signpost for the problem? The quote from Bendis that you posted in the thread you made about this article:

Totally agreed.

PsychBat!

Banned
So I started the bendis GotG run and Thanos Rising... wtf there is no explanation at all how Quill and Thanos escaped the cancerverse? And what the other guardians did in the meantime?
The reason why Nova never escaped and Star-Lord did is probably gonna be bullshit, count on it.

Rereading Superior Foes since volume 2 is out. I really love Janice's origin story issue, it's so great.

Still pissed about issue 11 though. What a waste of time and effort.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Hnnng. From the back of the manhattan projects this week, out next year. Hopefully this is Feel Better Now finally resurfacing, but I guess Hickman could have ditched that for some other idea now. I know I'll buy it already.

Sweet. Hickman + Image is a must buy for me.

tim1138

Also, don't want to link it since it kind of has spoilers in it and stuff, and thus I wouldn't recommend for new readers, but for current readers, Multiversity has a really good interview with the Baltimore team.

I kept throwing money at Manhattan Projects when I got to that image but Feel Better Now never showed up.

kd-z

This page with the art credits from the Immortal Iron Fist collection is too hilarious:

Oh Aja...

I'm really enjoying it so far though!
Aja's art was fantastic (and rare :p) in that series, but I think the issue with the lady Fist was as good. Can't remember the artist though.

Posted a smaller snippet of thing pic before, but just found the full thing. Super excited for this guys, Rumble, by Arcudi & Harren later this year at Image:
Man, I hope Arcudi gets some recognition for this. He's been pumping out amazing stories in BPRD for the last hundred years and I feel like he doesn't get any credit for it :(

Okay. Either this check or the next I buy it. If I can translate my work ethic, I know I can do it. I know people think I am a gimmick at this point. But ai mean it from the bottom of the heart. When my Dad was inches from his life, he asked me "what are you thinking about? Becoming a comics superstar?" I will eat anyone's soul who gets in my way.
Hey man, I believie in you. #TeamRafa :)!

In other news, I bought the Humble Transformers bundle. I will read the new series (MTMTE and RID) and the probably give the older stuff a try. To be honest it's going to be my first exposure to Transformers - I was born too late to really get a chance to be into the cartoon (other than Beast Wars, which blew my 5-year-old mind with every episode) and Bay's movies are shit.

In other news, I bought the Humble Transformers bundle. I will read the new series (MTMTE and RID) and the probably give the older stuff a try. To be honest it's going to be my first exposure to Transformers - I was born too late to really get a chance to be into the cartoon (other than Beast Wars, which blew my 5-year-old mind with every episode) and Bay's movies are shit.
I've been reading MTMTE on and off over the past week or so and it really is a great comic. It's a lot to take in at first if you aren't familiar with the universe, but you kind of get used to it the more you read. The hardest part is trying to remember everyone's names honestly.

Bii

I've been reading MTMTE on and off over the past week or so and it really is a great comic. It's a lot to take in at first if you aren't familiar with the universe, but you kind of get used to it the more you read. The hardest part is trying to remember everyone's names honestly.

And which limbs belong to whom when the action ramps up. haha

tim1138

How's your dad doing?

Bii

Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #1-4

Seeing how the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is releasing this week and I have The Thanos Imperative in hand, now would be a good time to start on some GotG reading with this Marvel Unlimited subscription.

In Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord, the Phalanx is infecting the galaxy and it's up to Starlord and his band of misfits to jump into this suicide mission to stop it. You know what? I absolutely love this mini (thanks to whomever suggested it earlier in this thread). I love the entire crew and Star-Lord's personality really shines. The subtle jokes that pop up here and there (and everything that Rocket Raccoon says) breaks the somewhat serious tone when debriefings or fights happen. It says a lot when I'm reading a book about these superpowered characters fighting to save the galaxy, yet, the one to lead them all is just a regular guy who has a penchant for getting things done despite the odds. If anyone is currently on the Marvel Unlimited subscription, give this one a look. It's only four issues and well worth the read.

Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord #1-4

Seeing how the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is releasing this week and I have The Thanos Imperative in hand, now would be a good time to start on some GotG reading with this Marvel Unlimited subscription.

In Annihilation: Conquest - Starlord, the Phalanx is infecting the galaxy and it's up to Starlord and his band of misfits to jump into this suicide mission to stop it. You know what? I absolutely love this mini (thanks to whomever suggested it earlier in this thread). I love the entire crew and Star-Lord's personality really shines. The subtle jokes that pop up here and there (and everything that Rocket Raccoon says) breaks the somewhat serious tone when debriefings or fights happen. It says a lot when I'm reading a book about these superpowered characters fighting to save the galaxy, yet, the one to lead them all is just a regular guy who has a penchant for getting things done despite the odds. If anyone is currently on the Marvel Unlimited subscription, give this one a look. It's only four issues and well worth the read.

Dat Lack Of Fixed Width

#NotAllMarvelUnlimited

Man, I hope Arcudi gets some recognition for this. He's been pumping out amazing stories in BPRD for the last hundred years and I feel like he doesn't get any credit for it :(

I know man, I'm actually pretty bad for describing BPRD etc to people as Mignola stuff, just because it's an easy short hand way to get people to understand what you're talking about quickly, even though, I absolutely know the difference haha. While, personally, I do prefer Mignola to Arcudi, dude is amazingly talented none the less and I wouldn't have it any other way, I like that the BPRD books have their own slant on things, and differ to Mignola's writing style.

Sweet. Hickman + Image is a must buy for me.

I kept throwing money at Manhattan Projects when I got to that image but Feel Better Now never showed up.

Haha don't I know it guys. Reminds me I don't actually have that Secret trade yet, must remedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom