• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2015. Okay for everyone, unless you're a DC or a Spider-Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

It's excellent, and don't worry, there's no William S. Burroughs if that's your concern. It's his attempt at a Hellblazer-esque book and so far, it's perfectly on-point. Also, there's more character in the LA setting in that first issue than the entirety of this season of True Detective.

There's a scene on a bus that is one of my favorites of the year, easily.

Probably a 7 but with potential to up to at least an 11 with a few issues

Hellblazer-esque you say, I think you have just sold Mr Kot another book. I'll buy it when I get home from work. I'll brave it and hope he doesn't lose me halfway.

Thanks for the insight.

tim1138

Hellblazer-esque you say, I think you have just sold Mr Kot another book. I'll buy it when I get home from work. I'll brave it and hope he doesn't lose me halfway.

Thanks for the insight.

It's a really strong first issue, plus it's like 60 pages long so you should be able to get a good feel for the world and characters.

fauxtrot

Banned
So on the minus side I didn't get a chance to read much of anything yesterday. But on the major plus side I got to see my sister in person for the first time in over two years. She was in Kyrgyzstan with the Peace Corps, then around Eastern Europe for a bit with her boyfriend that had also been there with the Peace Corps. Yesterday evening was her first time back in the U.S. since she left.

Of course, the downside is that due to how we were seated at the table in the loud restaurant I basically had no chance to talk to her. She also seemed more interested in talking to the two friends from school that came with us and her boyfriend than she was with our parents, our brother, or me.

Damn, it really sucks when family members do something super insensitive/selfish/oblivious like this... I'm sorry to hear. I know I've even been that person before and it's depressing to think about.

Damn, it really sucks when family members do something super insensitive/selfish/oblivious like this... I'm sorry to hear. I know I've even been that person before and it's depressing to think about.

Oh! No, no! I was a bit worried it might come across that way and apparently it did. I don't think she was being insensitive really. I mean, maybe a little, but a lot of it was just positioning at the table and the fact that I think she has been much more in touch with us than she has with her friends. Skype/Facetime with my parents especially would happen a decent amount and, honestly, she'll be seeing the family more than the friends anyway (I hope, at least >.>). I was frustrated with the situation some, but not really at her. The table setup was such that it was pretty natural for it to happen. Hell, even if she had wanted to talk to me more it would have been hard.

Edit: And yes, I may be making excuses for her. I dunno. It was nice to see her either way.

Vibranium

Banned
Ok, I really liked Wolfe. Supernatural stuff is fun and I'm getting a bit of a Fatale vibe here so I'm in. Having an immortal protagonist is cool too. Kot's style fits with a world like this.

I wonder what sort of role the young girl will play in the story going forward. There is an impending apocolypse and all.

Star Wars #7 preview pages with dialog. It's the Obi-Wan shot. Bad pun. Looks pretty cool.
STWARS2015007-int2-4-c19c3.jpg
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/star-wars-7-marvel-comics-2015-2015

joelseph

I really enjoyed Aaron's Ghost Rider 20-23. Is "Heaven's on Fire" a continuation of that arc? Can anyone recommend me other "horror" comics in the same supernatural style other than Locke and Key?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
WOOHOOOOO!

So out of nowhere my boss was like "Jeremy [her husband] is coming over right now to get your keys. He's training your replacement today so today is your last day."
And then minutes later he was there and I was gone. So now I'm officially done forever AND I've got today and tomorrow off!
I'm so stoked right now because I was thinking to myself "Ugh. I wish I could stay home and read comics today."
And now I'm home! And now I'm going to finish Shaolin Cowboy.

This is the greatest thing ever.

Yousefb

Anybody reading Old Man Logan? What do you think so far? I'm enjoying it a lot but it does feel a bit rushed. They ended #2 with Apoc and he's literally in #3 for a few panels lol. But I guess it makes sense with the whole Logan traveling battleworld underlying story. I like the cat and mouse game with the Thors.

Have they announced how many issues it will go for? Actually I guess all the secret wars tie ins will wrap in October

Anybody reading Old Man Logan? What do you think so far? I'm enjoying it a lot but it does feel a bit rushed. They ended #2 with Apoc and he's literally in #3 for a few panels lol. But I guess it makes sense with the whole Logan traveling battleworld underlying story. I like the cat and mouse game with the Thors.

Have they announced how many issues it will go for? Actually I guess all the secret wars tie ins will wrap in October

I think Old Man Logan's hanging around after Secret Wars actually.

Hagi

Kipp that's the happiest I've ever read someone getting the sack.

I've been sleeping on those Star Wars books I picked up Lando on impulse and was really surprised how good it was. I have a few issues of Kanan and that seems good as well.

Zombine

Banned

I've been sleeping on those Star Wars books I picked up Lando on impulse and was really surprised how good it was. I have a few issues of Kanan and that seems good as well.

All the Star Wars books are pretty legit. Darth Vader is the best IMHMF'nO.

Ladies and gents of ComicGAF, we pour one out on this day for Edward Scissorhands. Truly one of the greatest comics in the past year. Pour one out for the homie.

I really enjoyed Aaron's Ghost Rider 20-23. Is "Heaven's on Fire" a continuation of that arc? Can anyone recommend me other "horror" comics in the same supernatural style other than Locke and Key?

Afterlife with Archie! Also the spin-off, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

So our boy Kot
aka filthy
got some heat for his vulture interview. Mostly people saying he was using diversity as fashion to promote and sell his own work. His response is pretty good I think (its on his twitter). Glad to see it turn like that instead of someone like Brian Wood who was seen as someone who worked to make the comics industry better for women and ended up getting creep like behavior exposed followed by his non apology.

I love your avatar. That is all

Yousefb

I think Old Man Logan's hanging around after Secret Wars actually.
Oh yeah I know about his ANAD solo book definitely looking forward to that. I should have phrased it better but I meant to say the secret wars tie ins are generally ending by October right ?

Speaking of, what's everyone's favorite tie in so far? I got Old Man Logan, Infinity Gauntlet, E is for Extinction, and Master of Kung Fu. Although I've only gotten around to reading the X-books so far.

fauxtrot

Banned
So our boy Kot
aka filthy
got some heat for his vulture interview. Mostly people saying he was using diversity as fashion to promote and sell his own work. His response is pretty good I think (its on his twitter). Glad to see it turn like that instead of someone like Brian Wood who was seen as someone who worked to make the comics industry better for women and ended up getting creep like behavior exposed followed by his non apology.

Can someone translate / format this so I can read it? I don't understand the Twitter. Also, where can I read this Vulture interview?

Oh yeah I know about his ANAD solo book definitely looking forward to that. I should have phrased it better but I meant to say the secret wars tie ins are generally ending by October right ?

Speaking of, what's everyone's favorite tie in so far? I got Old Man Logan, Infinity Gauntlet, E is for Extinction, and Master of Kung Fu. Although I've only gotten around to reading the X-books so far.

E For Extinction
Thors
Weirdworld
Battleworld (anthology)
Infinity Gauntlet
Civil War

Did Barnaby Joyce euthanize it?

I dunno. It went through two story arcs, which is one more than I thought it was going to. There was no cover preview at the back of the issue, so my assumption is that it's done. Unless they start another story arc and they're just keeping it to themselves. I'd like to believe. It has honestly been one of the few comics I have consistently looked forward to on a monthly basis.

It's just really good.

So our boy Kot
aka filthy
If I was a writer I'd include diversity in my book but I'll be all chill with it and not talk much about my book. I don't feel like you need to keep putting yourself out there in interviews saying the same old song and dance to the same questions that get repeated. I'll be like "my book got some badass characters, Michael Bay explosions, super saiyans, and 90s hip hop." If anyone asks about my inclusion of diversity I'll go "yeah I got that next question."

Can someone translate / format this so I can read it? I don't understand the Twitter. Also, where can I read this Vulture interview?
Ales Kot said:
Hey, bitter, cynical Twitter thinkpieces about me supposedly using social activism to promote my "brand" -- you got it backwards.

I'm using the "brand" to do something that matters with it.

The idea that I would gain readers by pretending *anything* is completely antithetical to how I live my life.

The idea that I *just now* got interested in race, racism, police brutality, LGBTIQ rights and so on is also completely wrong.

One of the many points I could make in regards to the above: my first day job was helping people sue cops. I was eighteen.

It was not a lifestyle choice. It was a life choice.

If you claim I suddenly got into in human rights last week because the weather changed & I needed a fresh PR angle, you're...

...acting lazy & misinformed at best, lying at worst.

In regards to opening up space for creators of color in Wolf:

I carefully discussed what I wanted to do and say with friends, collaborators &
acquaintances of color -- and...

...primarily got a strong positive response.

If the primary response was anything but that? I wouldn't do it.

Ten minutes of research would also tell you I turn down work to help, but..

...hey, the culture of judgmental thinkpieces is faster, so here's some proof without you having to search for it: <<link>>

Also: I helped start/expose plenty new artists with Zero. I steadfastly work to help them out further

I also help plenty of starting artists and creators behind the lines, without saying anything. Ask around.

What I'm doing with Wolf is just another version version of what I did with Zero.

It's not new. It's not happening because it's in fashion. It's happening because I believe in working for my community.

So if you want to project at me and pretend you know why I'm doing what I'm doing?

Go on. I respect your anger, wherever it comes from. I'm sure it comes from a real place. I mean that.

I'll be listening. I'm always open to listen. I gotta stay vulnerable and real.

But I won't respect nor abide your lies and attacks.

Using my platform to talk about real world issues & to advocate for change does not...

...negate the rest of my actions: staying quiet, listening, learning, and making space.

The Vulture interview itself articulates that discussing problems and making space are not always mutually exclusive choices.

I feel sadness and anger about a few people choosing to project the worst at me instead of seeing what I really put in.

And I feel grateful that most chose to do the opposite.

That was way more work than I wanted to put in collecting those tweets oh jeez

here is the interview in question

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Boom. Just read Shaolin Cowboy. Now time to start the Orion omnibus!
Kipp is BACK BABY.

Edit: Actually, gonna start Sleeper I think.

Oh, no, I wasn't fired. I had turned in my two weeks last Monday. My last day was supposed to be Friday, but because my boss is paranoid and probably considered I could steal all of her precious information (I had access to pretty much everything), she decided to have me leave before I expected to. Or maybe my replacement really was getting trained that day and for some reason they didn't want me there while he was being trained. Who knows. Either way I wasn't fired and I left on good terms and I'm stoked to have two days off. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom