• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Haha go crazy guys, honestly. I make no threads, I just read em and post in them. He is a great pick though, dude is awesome. I absolutely love Stranger Things so hearing he was gonna be Hellboy <3 so good.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Also James Harren has been teasing a Bug cover he's working on, on twitter. Can't wait to see that!

I don't get how that guy doesn't get work, like, 24/7. He is one of my favorite artists working right now. Speaking of, I need to get into Seven to Eternity one of these days to check out his issues.

I don't get how that guy doesn't get work, like, 24/7. He is one of my favorite artists working right now. Speaking of, I need to get into Seven to Eternity one of these days to check out his issues.

Yea haha he's a beast. At least right now he seems to be doing a lot of covers and commisions, he's working on a Black Science variant right now too. Kind of worried Remender is going to tie him up as one of his boys haha. In addition to the question around Rumble and it's sales, I wonder if working on Rumble for three straight volumes burnt him out a little and he needed a break to do something else regardless. It's not really something he'd done before, the BPRD stuff was all really spaced out.

Seven To Eternity is pretty decent! I liked where they left the first volume off at, it takes most of that book to decipher quite what the status quo and thrust of the book will be but it's an interesting world. Knowing Harren has that two issue stint in there, that second volume is going to be real nice.

A question before I go to bed: if our thread wasn't rebooted every month, what page would we be up to now? See it as our 'Legacy' number.

You guys Pyre is so good. I wish Supergiant's artist made comic books.

I only played a little. Gonna get back to it in a few minutes. Love everything about it from what I've seen so far. Also bought the soundtrack because Darren Korb is amazing. The only soundtrack in recent years that I feel has come close to one of his soundtracks was the Child of Light OST.

Malyse

You guys Pyre is so good. I wish Supergiant's artist made comic books.

She has a deviantart.

More importantly, is the music great?
I only played a little. Gonna get back to it in a few minutes. Love everything about it from what I've seen so far. Also bought the soundtrack because Darren Korb is amazing. The only soundtrack in recent years that I feel has come close to one of his soundtracks was the Child of Light OST.

Question answered

Rank it with Transistor and Bastion.

Hmmm. Pyre = Transistor > Bastion

I loved Bastion's story and setting, but the gameplay was super basic. Not bad, just, you know, 'competent' and not much more.

I feel Transistor elevated that, making the combat very dynamic and fun, while also maintaining the story chops.

Pyre runs on the same style, music, art quality. The gameplay isn't necessarily better because it's a whole different genre, but I love it. It's like battle soccer, or that old Deathrow game on Xbox. Or maybe almost like pro bending from Korra [the show, not the game's version].

It handles great, though moreso with a controller than Keyboard, and it looks gorgeous.

My only qualm so far is I don't hear Logan Cunningham (Rucks, the Transistor Blade) yet. I hope he shows up at some point.

Decided to read New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men before rolling through Uncanny X-Force. Enjoying New X-Men so far but I’d expect as much from Morrison.

I haven't read it yet myself but the impression I get is that it's like someone handed Guggenheim an "X-Men checklist" and he's trying to shoehorn in as many items from that list as he possibly can.
That is exactly what it is.
What do you think is going to cause Clayface to turn evil again?
Cause it's gonna happen and it's gonna hurt.
Most definitely soon. They've made it very apparent that he won't be able to maintain this state for very long. He can't ever be fully human, and he can't go full clay. He's degrading regardless.
Decided to read New X-Men and Astonishing X-Men before rolling through Uncanny X-Force. Enjoying New X-Men so far but I’d expect as much from Morrison.
It's not my favorite X-Men run, but it's good. Planet X is a terrible arc though and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Also before Uncanny X-Force, might I recommend quite frankly a fantastic saga. Note that these are the physical collections that I'm about to list:

X-Men: Messiah CompleX
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Christ Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 2
X-Men: Second Coming

I'll also recommend some minis:
X-Men: Endangered Species
X-Men: Age of X
X-Men: No More Humans (Original Graphic Novel)

There's a bunch more X-Men I'd list, but I don't want to overwhelm.

VanWinkle

I just read Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite. That was truly fantastic stuff. Felt like something coming from late 80s DC (early Vertigo) like Morrison Doom Patrol.

I just read Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite. That was truly fantastic stuff. Felt like something coming from late 80s DC (early Vertigo) like Morrison Doom Patrol.
And now you want a Gerard Way X-Men book. Also there's a reason he loves Doom Patrol and is writing it right now.

Incredible stuff right? And the art is to die for, Ba and Stewart do glorious things together. Guess what, you don't have to wait 9 years for the followup either :D

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Anyone read this before? I didn't know it existed but now I NEED It.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JJfjmD5.jpg[/IMG]

I smile every time you recommend this run. I have the first 10 issues or so in my short boxes. I hope to give them a re-read one day soon. Also, I'm jealous that you have all of Saga ahead of you to experience for the first time.

Shirtless Bear-Fighter #2 tomorrow! I just read number one today and it is the best!
It's so much fun! Definitely one of my favorite older comic runs. Byrne still draws my favorite Shulkie. Love how he does her with the big, curly hair with the S curl going down her forehead. She just gives off so much confidence and energy, it's so good.

She's definitely one of my favorite Marvel characters period. I always try out her ongoings.

And yeah, Saga's been one of those books I've been meaning to read for a while, I just never did. I have the first 43 issues so I have plenty to read through.
Read Dallas when you get the chance, you'll definitely love it. Way is such a perfect fit on Doom Patrol so far too.

Neophant

Been taking the last couple of days catching up with the thread here (and with all the Comic-Con news there's been a ton of stuff I need to really check out and read more into) but I did want to make my peace with something: I love Superman's portrayal in MoS and BvS and the incarnation created by Snyder and played by Cavill is probably my favourite mainly because I can see what he has to struggle through in his journey towards being a hero and finding his place in the world.

Despite all the crap that gets thrown at him, from an alien invasion from his own homeworld to a public relations manipulation and scandal from Lex Luthor to outright fighting Doomsday no holds barred, I'm very awed at how much he struggles and still wants to do the right thing. It's something that we don't see too often in the comics or animated stuff, and though I really enjoy the Donner films they were set in a completely different time and place with arguably opposite values and beliefs to what we in the world hold today.

I do find it frustrating that so many people take umbrage to elements of the film and it's creator and hold the work accountable to such scrutiny, which is ironic because that's part of the themes of the films themselves!

But to stay on-topic, I've been slowly adding more and more to my Comixology backlog. I've picked up more volumes of JLA with the BOGO sale, as well as a few random Marvel trades to continue runs I've already started (mainly Cap, Spider-Man and Black Panther stuff) and some Valiant trades.

Despite all that, the real crown jewel that I've been obsessively reading is the Preacher series from Vertigo. I got really into comics at a younger age with stuff like Sandman, Fables, and Transmetropolitan, but Preacher was always something I didn't feel I was interested in, and boy was I wrong. Every page is hilarious and witty which makes a lot of the poignant, darker moments really stand out. I love this relationship Jesse has with Tulip and Cassidy, and how that dynamic is really the core of the story itself. Just finished Book 2, and I can't wait to read more...though it's gonna pile-up eventually knowing some of the other sales that are already tempting me...

New X-Men is one of weakest Morrison's books in his run with the big two.

That is exactly what it is.

Most definitely soon. They've made it very apparent that he won't be able to maintain this state for very long. He can't ever be fully human, and he can't go full clay. He's degrading regardless.

It's not my favorite X-Men run, but it's good. Planet X is a terrible arc though and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Also before Uncanny X-Force, might I recommend quite frankly a fantastic saga. Note that these are the physical collections that I'm about to list:

X-Men: Messiah CompleX
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Christ Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 2
X-Men: Second Coming

I'll also recommend some minis:
X-Men: Endangered Species
X-Men: Age of X
X-Men: No More Humans (Original Graphic Novel)

There's a bunch more X-Men I'd list, but I don't want to overwhelm.

Maybe I’ll just skip New X-Men and do Astonishing and those X-Force comics then.

Vic_Viper

Kinda bummed that Astonishing X-Men by Soule is a Maxi-Series instead of an ongoing. When they announced it as the "flagship" X-Men book I thought it would be an on-going just like Gold and Blue. Thought Astonishing was one of the best X-books ive read in a long time too.

How long do Maxi-series usually run?

Maybe I'll just skip New X-Men and do Astonishing and those X-Force comics then.

Highly recommend reading the X-Men mega event: Messiah CompleX, Messiah War, and Second Coming before reading Uncanny X-Force! Also Age of X but its not really necessary. Your about to start some of the best X series books ever!

Kinda bummed that Astonishing X-Men by Soule is a Maxi-Series instead of an ongoing. When they announced it as the "flagship" X-Men book I thought it would be an on-going just like Gold and Blue. Thought Astonishing was one of the best X-books ive read in a long time too.

6-12 issues likely. Longer if it outsells the others consistently.

about my earlier question, about a comic surpassing Watchmen in influence?

I can see a comic surpassing it maybe in quality, one day....but i feel like it would be hard to in terms of influence

VanWinkle

Incredible stuff right? And the art is to die for, Ba and Stewart do glorious things together. Guess what, you don't have to wait 9 years for the followup either :D

Haha, yup! And I will definitely be reading the second series very soon.

And yeah, Ba and Stewart are a wonderful combination for this book.

It's so much fun! Definitely one of my favorite older comic runs. Byrne still draws my favorite Shulkie. Love how he does her with the big, curly hair with the S curl going down her forehead. She just gives off so much confidence and energy, it's so good.

She's definitely one of my favorite Marvel characters period. I always try out her ongoings.

And yeah, Saga's been one of those books I've been meaning to read for a while, I just never did. I have the first 43 issues so I have plenty to read through.

Read Dallas when you get the chance, you'll definitely love it. Way is such a perfect fit on Doom Patrol so far too.

What is this Dallas you speak of? Edit: Ohh just saw that the second volume is called Dallas, haha. I am definitely reading that soon. I bought it along with Apocalypse Suite.

Sandfox

Astonishing is going to run for 12 issues and something "new to the X-Men line" is supposed to come out of it, whatever that ends up being.

Sandfox

Written by Soule?

Astonishing seems to be a story will be written by Soule all the way through, but I don't know about anything after that.

X-Fan on twitter:
So did I read that right then, this is a 12-issue maxi-series? Anything set up for something after?
Mark Paniccia's reply:
Something significant and "new" to the landscape of X will spin out.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Highly recommend reading the X-Men mega event: Messiah CompleX, Messiah War, and Second Coming before reading Uncanny X-Force! Also Age of X but its not really necessary. Your about to start some of the best X series books ever!

I'm working my way towards the the Messiah stuff. Reading Astonishing, Uncanny, New X-Men, X-Men, X-Factor, and Cable & Deadpool all from 04/05 on. Coming up to House of M first though.

I'm working my way towards the the Messiah stuff. Reading Astonishing, Uncanny, New X-Men, X-Men, X-Factor, and Cable & Deadpool all from 04/05 on. Coming up to House of M first though.

Cable & Deadpool is still my all-time fave comic.

I went back and am just gonna go straight through. New X-Men then Astonishing then House of M figure out from there. X-Men reading order is worse than cosmic Marvel.

Adam Strange Silver Age Omnibus just showed up. Looks great! The same binding as the other Silver Age / Bronze Age / etc Omnis, semi-glossy paper (maybe a touch glossier than the Doom Patrol Silver Age Omni, but not much), colors really pop but aren't totally overdone, etc.. Quick 2 page foreword at the front, a few extra covers and creator bios at the back.

Oh, and in a random production error, I got two dust jackets (one right inside the other). But other than that, clean copy. No glue on the pages, etc.

shingi70

Banned
Despite the fact that she's a Scheming Vally girl with a fake British accent, Emma is better for Scott summers than Jean Grey ever was.

Also a small observation, the X-men were messy af.

Maybe I’ll just skip New X-Men and do Astonishing and those X-Force comics then.
Nah I would stick with NXM. Astonishing works really well as a sequel to it and NXM very much rebuilt the skeleton used for modern X-Men (at least until Marvel NOW!).

It's very good.
Astonishing is going to run for 12 issues and something "new to the X-Men line" is supposed to come out of it, whatever that ends up being.
Fucking why! Just leave it as Astonishing and have it be an ongoing! Then let that rumor about Gold becoming Uncanny and Blue becoming Ultimate be true.
Despite the fact that she's a Scheming Vally girl with a fake British accent, Emma is better for Scott summers than Jean Grey ever was.

Also a small observation, the X-men were messy af.
She's not a valley girl. At all. She comes from a shitty upper class east coast family. She adapted the British accent from another mutant that taught her a next level to her powers when she was in college. Also the other girl was a psycho who fell in love with Emma and basically forced Emma to put her in a coma as a retaliation. So Emma basically "stole" her accent psychically.

But yeah Emma's the best. She's had a super fucked life.

Going to start trade waiting more titles and see how it goes. Already 100% on MU for Marvel, so mainly adding DC and Image to the holding pattern.

Flash #27
Wonder Woman #27

Wanderer5

The Girl of Squirrels.<3

qC8qJ21.jpg

Kyne

hullo comicGAF.

I have a question for anyone who might have Marvel Unlimited; How does on-the-go reading work? Any way I can locally download comics to my tablet in case I don't have internet/wifi outside of my home?

Wanderer5

hullo comicGAF.

I have a question for anyone who might have Marvel Unlimited; How does on-the-go reading work? Any way I can locally download comics to my tablet in case I don't have internet/wifi outside of my home?

Yeah there is a read offline option that you see for each issue. You can only have up to 12 issues for offline mode through.

Top Bottom