• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Li Kao

Anyone read this before? I didn't know it existed but now I NEED It.
Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JJfjmD5.jpg[/IMG]

For me it's just one of the all time classics. Comics from my youth that I read so much that the book was surely in poor condition.
See also...
Spider-man spirits of the earth
Emperor Doom

For my birthday, I brought the Crash HD thingy, a thing that won't come til later and found this at Best Buy.

hDbKoag.jpg

That's freaking me the fuck out.

Li Kao

Continued Superman (#5-6) and read the first arc of Action Comics (#957-962).
Not too hot on the whole Eradicator arc but all in all it was not a bad read. More circonspect with Action Comics, it was as my memory painted it, overall just gently boring. You can add plot hook all you want, at the end of the day six issues of a fight with a near invincible foe isn't very compelling. Six issues with debatable art. Not a bad comics by any mean, I imagine if you really want to read a Superman story it's as good as a ton of other stories, just yeah, no more than that.
Debating if I read the first arc of Superwoman, Supergirl or if I do the stupid thing and add Batman to my catch-up.

Aaaand least favorite means of bringing a character back goes to Secret Warriors with Dark Beast.

He died, but I guess he's back now. That's it. He's just back.

And so is Blink, I guess.

ElNarez

Banned
hahaha holy shit

I like stories with Dark Beast and even I think there's way too many Dark Beast stories

call a goddamn moratorium on Dark Beast, come on Marvel

Mindwipe

Marvel finally fixed MU for Android.

Offline reading has only been broken for a month but it's not like anyone there gave a shit or anything.

Adam Strange Silver Age Omnibus just showed up. Looks great! The same binding as the other Silver Age / Bronze Age / etc Omnis, semi-glossy paper (maybe a touch glossier than the Doom Patrol Silver Age Omni, but not much), colors really pop but aren't totally overdone, etc.. Quick 2 page foreword at the front, a few extra covers and creator bios at the back.

Oh, and in a random production error, I got two dust jackets (one right inside the other). But other than that, clean copy. No glue on the pages, etc.

Oh, cool. I've been considering getting this as I haven't read any Adam Strange comics before. How does the material hold up?

Mafro

That is exactly what it is.

Most definitely soon. They've made it very apparent that he won't be able to maintain this state for very long. He can't ever be fully human, and he can't go full clay. He's degrading regardless.

It's not my favorite X-Men run, but it's good. Planet X is a terrible arc though and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Also before Uncanny X-Force, might I recommend quite frankly a fantastic saga. Note that these are the physical collections that I'm about to list:

X-Men: Messiah CompleX
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Christ Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
X-Force/Cable: Messiah War
X-Force by Craig Kyle and Chris Yost: The Complete Collection Vol. 2
X-Men: Second Coming

I'll also recommend some minis:
X-Men: Endangered Species
X-Men: Age of X
X-Men: No More Humans (Original Graphic Novel)

There's a bunch more X-Men I'd list, but I don't want to overwhelm.
For me the bolded was the last time the whole X-universe was genuinely great. Loved that run from Messiah Complex to Second coming.

shingi70

Banned
Nah I would stick with NXM. Astonishing works really well as a sequel to it and NXM very much rebuilt the skeleton used for modern X-Men (at least until Marvel NOW!).

It's very good.

Fucking why! Just leave it as Astonishing and have it be an ongoing! Then let that rumor about Gold becoming Uncanny and Blue becoming Ultimate be true.

She's not a valley girl. At all. She comes from a shitty upper class east coast family. She adapted the British accent from another mutant that taught her a next level to her powers when she was in college. Also the other girl was a psycho who fell in love with Emma and basically forced Emma to put her in a coma as a retaliation. So Emma basically "stole" her accent psychically.

But yeah Emma's the best. She's had a super fucked life.

This quote makes me feel like I'm missing some of the greatest comics by not reading the X-men.

She first appeared in the Claremont run right?

dh4niel

This quote makes me feel like I'm missing some of the greatest comics by not reading the X-men.

You've never read any Claremont stuff? You owe it to yourself! I think she appeared just before the Dark Phoenix storyline as part of the Hellfire Club.

Malyse

Is it more unsetlling than Tom King's Vision?
Hmm. No?
She hasn't killed any Runaways yet, but the fact that she has reached nigh omnipotent powers with omniscience and omnipresence coupled with the unchanged fact that Gwen is a pretty terrible person is terrifying.

Gwenpool is currently the most powerful character in comics. Imagine if Quicksilver/Flash had the power to alter reality while moving so fast that time stopped. And the ability to teleport from anywhere to anywhere. And the ability to pull themselves out of reality plus maybe pull multiple copies of themselves out of reality (this hasn't been explicitly shown, but it's a logical extension of the pulling self out of reality). Oh and any internal dialogue you have is visible to her, so you can't think around her.

If she ever figures out what she can do? Hoo boy.

I'm guessing she's going to start undoing some of her fuckups like getting Cecil killed.

Hmm. No?
She hasn't killed any Runaways yet, but the fact that she has reached nigh omnipotent powers with omniscience and omnipresence coupled with the unchanged fact that Gwen is a pretty terrible person is terrifying.

Gwenpool is currently the most powerful character in comics. Imagine if Quicksilver/Flash had the power to alter reality while moving so fast that time stopped. And the ability to teleport from anywhere to anywhere. And the ability to pull themselves out of reality plus maybe pull multiple copies of themselves out of reality (this hasn't been explicitly shown, but it's a logical extension of the pulling self out of reality). Oh and any internal dialogue you have is visible to her, so you can't think around her.

I'm guessing she's going to start undoing some of her fuckups like getting Cecil killed.

So, she is one of the biggest villains in the Marvel Universe?

Hmm. No?

That sounds like 1/5 of Marvel characters, to be honest here.

Oh, cool. I've been considering getting this as I haven't read any Adam Strange comics before. How does the material hold up?

If you like sci-fi and stuff from that era, you'll dig it, it's definitely one of the stronger pulpy sci-fi books out there. It helps that Infantino is an *incredibly* solid and consistent artist and he does almost every issue except for the first few.

It's very much a rocket-packs-and-rayguns book, where each issue is a self-contained little puzzle. "Oh no, an alien showed up with a raygun that is making us melt like water! How do we stop him before we melt away?" "Oh no! Alanna fell in a pool of space goop and is turning invisible!" "Oh no, an alien has used his Emotionalizer Beam to turn Adam Strange into an enemy of Rann!" "A Space Siren has lured Adam Strange away from Alanna!" etc etc etc.

But the central conceit of "he's not in control of when he zeta-beams from Earth to Rann and back, and the love of his life Alanna is on Rann" adds a good star-crossed lovers twist to the whole thing. It doesn't necessarily add to any sort of meta-plot or huge arc over the series (it's very much an episodic book), but it's a nice twist to the formula. And while Alanna ends up the damsel in distress a lot, she is also portrayed as extremely smart scientist in her own right, who is also just has happy to wield a blaster as Adam Strange is; she's not a shrinking violet. It's also nice because while Adam Strange is an archaeologist and clearly smart, earth is the technological backwater in these stories; Rann is way more advanced technologically as are most of the other alien cultures. So it's not a "super-advanced earthman comes to save the primitive aliens" thing like a lot of other sci-fi stories of the era.

So yeah, it's definitely one of the stronger silver-age sci-fi runs, and I think it holds up really well, with a big caveat of "assuming you like silver age comics to begin with"

Malyse

That is just ridiculous.

If Gwen wasn't a hot mess she could really do a lot of damage. Fortunately, she's pretty effed up. It's actually kinda sad TBH. I also think she's limited to interacting with her own comics, so she can't just roll into Secret Empire #1 and fuck up Steve's plans. This in turn, is why I hate it when she cameos in other books: they treat her like cute Deadpool when she's actually a reality breaker.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/6369/67/original/960.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yBayZdH.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rn5Qh1k.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MtAY9kp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/6369/68/original/960.jpg[/IMG]

Crazy OP, but I don't think she realizes what all she can do.

Yet.

If Gwen wasn't a hot mess she could really do a lot of damage. Fortunately, she's pretty effed up. It's actually kinda sad TBH. I also think she's limited to interacting with her own comics, so she can't just roll into Secret Empire #1 and fuck up Steve's plans. This in turn, is why I hate it when she cameos in other books: they treat her like cute Deadpool when she's actually a reality breaker.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/6369/67/original/960.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rn5Qh1k.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MtAY9kp.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/6369/68/original/960.jpg[/IMG]

Crazy OP, but I don't think she realizes what all she can do.

Yet.
I can see why now. That would just end the story.

Malyse

She is Marvels Doctor Manhatten.

Wait and see her beeing the big Villain of next years Avengers Run

Code:
[IMG]https://www.previewsworld.com/SiteImage/CatalogImage/STL056419?type=1[/IMG]

I'm actually pretty happy that she's gotten a couple costumes now. C'mon Future Fight!

Also, I'll reinstall Marvel Heroes when Gwen is added in the game.

Owzers

She is Marvels Doctor Manhatten.

Wait and see her beeing the big Villain of next years Avengers Run
Gwenpool kills the marvel universe.

I've been having terrible ideas lately like going back to dcbs preordering floppies. Gwenpool, east of west, doom patrol...

It was so nice to have both Doom Patrol and BPRD back.

BPRD was a bit of a laid-back issue, as much as you can get anyways, with a lot of foreshadowing. Really interested in seeing what Allie and Mignola have going on for this arc. I was nervous about this without Arcudi, but I think Allie has a good grip on the characters and team based off this, so I feel more at ease. Definitely the best replacement they could get.

The Allreds did an amazing job on Doom Patrol this month too. If Derington weren't already doing such great work, I'd say they'd be a perfect fit for the art team cause this issue was gorgeous and Mike is so good at drawing weird stuff. Fun issue all around. Hope we get more of these one-off issues like Morrison used to do.

If you like sci-fi and stuff from that era, you'll dig it, it's definitely one of the stronger pulpy sci-fi books out there. It helps that Infantino is an *incredibly* solid and consistent artist and he does almost every issue except for the first few.

It's very much a rocket-packs-and-rayguns book, where each issue is a self-contained little puzzle. "Oh no, an alien showed up with a raygun that is making us melt like water! How do we stop him before we melt away?" "Oh no! Alanna fell in a pool of space goop and is turning invisible!" "Oh no, an alien has used his Emotionalizer Beam to turn Adam Strange into an enemy of Rann!" "A Space Siren has lured Adam Strange away from Alanna!" etc etc etc.

But the central conceit of "he's not in control of when he zeta-beams from Earth to Rann and back, and the love of his life Alanna is on Rann" adds a good star-crossed lovers twist to the whole thing. It doesn't necessarily add to any sort of meta-plot or huge arc over the series (it's very much an episodic book), but it's a nice twist to the formula. And while Alanna ends up the damsel in distress a lot, she is also portrayed as extremely smart scientist in her own right, who is also just has happy to wield a blaster as Adam Strange is; she's not a shrinking violet. It's also nice because while Adam Strange is an archaeologist and clearly smart, earth is the technological backwater in these stories; Rann is way more advanced technologically as are most of the other alien cultures. So it's not a "super-advanced earthman comes to save the primitive aliens" thing like a lot of other sci-fi stories of the era.

So yeah, it's definitely one of the stronger silver-age sci-fi runs, and I think it holds up really well, with a big caveat of "assuming you like silver age comics to begin with"

Awesome, thank you. Sounds like my kind of thing. Will pick it up sometime.

Malyse

Thanogwen. The ultimate way to tie-in with the movie.

Squirrel Girl would probably beat up Gwenpool though, cause why not.

Code:
[IMG]http://cbr0.imgix.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/The-Unbelievable-Gwenpool-13-Putri-Venomized-Variant.jpg?auto=format&lossless=1&q=90&w=987&h=1500&fit=crop[/IMG][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/CmMjjM7.jpg[/IMG]

I like the original Venomized Gwenpool variant more than the one that actually shows up.

What is Venomverse anyway?

http://www.cbr.com/venomverse-first-look-marvel/
Following the conclusion of the Edge of Venomverse anthology miniseries in August, Venomverse will launch in September, according to an announcement made via Nerdist. Labeled ”the biggest Venom story of all time" by editor Devin Lewis, the series is designed to bring Eddie Brock back to the forefront of the Spider-Man universe, though whether it's as a hero, villain or something else entirely isn't 100% clear.

”Eddie's not a hero, but he is the Venom that's most needed at this moment," Bunn said of the story's main protagonist. ”This story will show why he's the best Venom that there is."

”Best Venom" is the key phrase, because there will be a plethora of symbiote-bonded heroes and villains involved in the Venomverse storyline, Rocket Raccoon, Gwenpool, Old Man Logan and Black Panther among them. Deadpool will also find himself Venomized, along with Ghost Rider, both of whom will factor heavily into the plot, Bunn and Lewis teased. ”Deadpool is one of our main venomized protagonists," Lewis said. ”He's got so much heart and he's also a source of unpredictability, insanity, and goofiness."

Some new characters will be introduced throughout the event as well, including Pork Grind, the Venom from Spider-Ham's home dimension. ”omething that I've always found important–is how the Venom symbiote interacts with other hosts," Bunn said of his inspiration for the various characters who will find themselves Venomized throughout the story. ”What's really exciting is that we get to see this with characters you'd never expect, like Black Panther, Mary Jane, and Old Man Logan."

Blink wasn't dead. creators just don't use her.
Technically she was dead and then Necrosha happened.
hahaha holy shit

I like stories with Dark Beast and even I think there's way too many Dark Beast stories

call a goddamn moratorium on Dark Beast, come on Marvel
Seriously. He died. Like, his last hurrah was trying to drop a helicarrier onto the Jean Grey School, and then he crawled out and died.

Yup. She also had a solo series.

They have a war to win.
No more questions needed.

Li Kao

Juste read Superwoman #1-2
A little on the wordy side but it's great to look at and another really good Supe title

I'm thinking of not really catching up with Marvel and wait for Generation to read their books, that would allow me to add some DC goodness on my plate. After all I couldn't catch up with every title since their respective #1 and a lot of them are in the middle of Secret Empire these days.
Just gotta take care with the X-books, with the bimonthly schedule these things # will grow like crazy in no time.

Top Bottom