• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

From Joëlle Jones:
Here is the cover to my issue of Batman #33 that was just announced w/ amazing colors by @whoajordie
dfmzug_u0aadp6zfgp9d.jpg

frye

I haven't finished the first volume of Mother Panic but really liked the 3 issues I read. Most of it might be Tommy Lee Edwards art although I did like the writing to this point.

John Paul Leon does a handful of the later issues, I only read the first of his but it looked gr8

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Ahaha, does Ultimates really directly reference the Punch Dimension?

I love the new Ultimates comic :D

edit hoooly shit at that ending. Goddamn Maker lol

John Paul Leon does a handful of the later issues, I only read the first of his but it looked gr8

I was trying to think of which artists are nearly universally loved by comic artists and JPL was the first one to come to mind.

Shawn Crystal is the artist that comes in after Tommy Lee Edwards and uh its rough coming down from that

Sandfox

X-Men: Grand Design from Ed Piskor:

https://www.hachettebookgroup.biz/titles/marvel-comics/x-men-grand-design/9781302904890/

Over six tumultuous decades, the X-Men have carved a singular place in comic book lore and popular culture. From their riotous birth in the '60s, to their legendary reboot in the '70s, to their attitude adjustment in the '90s, to their battle against extinction in the '00s, the X-Men have remained unquestionably relevant to generations of readers, the ultimate underdogs in an increasingly complicated world.

Now, New York Times-best-selling author Ed Piskor (Hip-Hop Family Tree, Wizzywig) takes you on a pulse-pounding tour of X-Men history unlike anything you've ever experienced before, an intricate labor of love that stitches together hundreds of classic and obscure stories into one seamless masterpiece of X-Men lore.

This volume collects X-MEN: GRAND DESIGN and includes X-MEN #1 from 1963, masterfully recolored by Ed, along with other extras including recolored classic pinups. Presented in the same dynamic, oversized format of the best-selling Hip Hop Family Tree.

I feel like there is a lot of books that can be considered "the best books in comics right now"?

I honestly think right now is one of the best ever times to be a comic fan. There are problems, sure, and not every single book is great. But the variety and sheer quantity of Top Shelf Comics is completely insane.

Just taking a quick look at some faves in my pull...Wild Storm, X-Men Blue, Saga, Seven to Eternity, Mighty Thor, Motor Girl, Hillbilly, Jessica Jones, Jean Grey, Infamous Iron Man, Rock Candy Mountain, East of West, Shade, Spider-Man, Ultimates, Superman, Extremity...oh my god I could go on and on. That is not even all of the top shelf books, I am sure there are several major favorites I am missing. And it's not getting into the "very good" level at all, or books that just had very strong debut issues like Shirtless Bear-Fighter and Generation Gone.

I know I have never been happier with comics, and I've been an avid reader for 25+ years. I feel like you could be into just about any major genre, and there is at least 1-2 comics out there that you should really be reading.

Eh, I read volume 1 and I just couldn't get invested in it. I much prefer Saga's more character focused storytelling over East of West's world building. I see a lot of praise for it, so I might give it another go, but so far I'm more confused by it than anything.

I dropped it after the first couple volumes. It's quality comics but it made me feel ick and I dreaded reading it every month. Felt like work. Just not for me.

Saga is awesome. Just keep creating new planets, letting the characters grow, introducing new baddies forever and I'll keep buying.

Just wrapped up a book club readthrough of New Frontier for the podcast. Such a fantastic book.

Captain Skeleton, did your version have the real Batman/Superman fight?

ed: Ah, just saw you had the deluxe. So good.

Extremity #5: Damn this issue was fucking heavy. This book is so fucking good. Such a strong thematic core, here. And it's gorgeous.

I Hate Fairyland #14: Another great fucking issue. I always struggle to come with anything to say about this book other than it's fucking great and everyone should try it. But it is fucking great and you should try it. That is a true thing.

Uncanny Avengers #25: I like what Jim Zub has done with this book so far. I'm not sure if he's sticking around after the tie-in? I don't follow the solicits. But he's doing a nice job of keeping the exhilarating pace and delivering those epic moments that were such a big part of Duggan's run. I loved Synapse in this issue, and
Scorpia and Shocker
had a fun little team-up with Rogue, too. One of the better SE tie-ins.

Daredevil #24: I don't really understand how the timing of this story is supposed to work out at all, it's...what...four trials in this arc? That would take a long, long time. It's one thing to have to square that with the rest of the universe, that's fine, but there are other events taking place - apparently - within the same time frame that don't make sense stretched out like that. I still like this book a lot, but this is bothering me.

Winnebago Graveyard #2: I didn't think this was nearly as good as the first issue...it's good enough to keep me going for now but it didn't have the same unnerving, disorienting impact of the first issue. I almost feel like they showed us way too much in this issue about what is happening, and this decision robbed the story of much of its tension. It's a short mini and I did really like that first issue, so I will probably see it through unless the third issue is awful.

Underwinter #4: This is such a weird book. I like it but I would never recommend it. I love the structure of it -
with each issue revolving around a performance for some kind of nameless entity, with the tension accumulating between each one
- it's a clever way to do a horror comic. The art was super off-putting at first, but I find I enjoy it more as the story goes on.

ROM #11: This is getting close to the drop point. I feel like ROM and
the other space knights
have been having the same god damn argument for literally half a year now without either side making any significant progress in hearing the other party out. It is annoying that is such a focus of the book. It is also annoying that the "cybertronians" get name dropped two or three times every issue. But the art is still good and I like some of the human characters. I just hate this relationship that has developed between ROM and these
other space knight
characters.

Yes it does. It has the whole of the New Frontier Special in it. And all the notes and sketches.

So glad I got that one. Worth every penny.

Extremity #5: Damn this issue was fucking heavy. This book is so fucking good. Such a strong thematic core, here. And it's gorgeous.

I Hate Fairyland #14: Another great fucking issue. I always struggle to come with anything to say about this book other than it's fucking great and everyone should try it. But it is fucking great and you should try it. That is a true thing.

Uncanny Avengers #25: I like what Jim Zub has done with this book so far. I'm not sure if he's sticking around after the tie-in? I don't follow the solicits. But he's doing a nice job of keeping the exhilarating pace and delivering those epic moments that were such a big part of Duggan's run. I loved Synapse in this issue, and
Scorpia and Shocker
had a fun little team-up with Rogue, too. One of the better SE tie-ins.

Daredevil #24: I don't really understand how the timing of this story is supposed to work out at all, it's...what...four trials in this arc? That would take a long, long time. It's one thing to have to square that with the rest of the universe, that's fine, but there are other events taking place - apparently - within the same time frame that don't make sense stretched out like that. I still like this book a lot, but this is bothering me.

Winnebago Graveyard #2: I didn't think this was nearly as good as the first issue...it's good enough to keep me going for now but it didn't have the same unnerving, disorienting impact of the first issue. I almost feel like they showed us way too much in this issue about what is happening, and this decision robbed the story of much of its tension. It's a short mini and I did really like that first issue, so I will probably see it through unless the third issue is awful.

Underwinter #4: This is such a weird book. I like it but I would never recommend it. I love the structure of it -
with each issue revolving around a performance for some kind of nameless entity, with the tension accumulating between each one
- it's a clever way to do a horror comic. The art was super off-putting at first, but I find I enjoy it more as the story goes on.

ROM #11: This is getting close to the drop point. I feel like ROM and
the other space knights
have been having the same god damn argument for literally half a year now without either side making any significant progress in hearing the other party out. It is annoying that is such a focus of the book. It is also annoying that the "cybertronians" get name dropped two or three times every issue. But the art is still good and I like some of the human characters. I just hate this relationship that has developed between ROM and these other
space knight
characters.

I know nothing of ROM but is it canon with the crossover they're doing now?

I don't really follow the other connected books, but I think so? He was in Revolution. They talk about it all the time in this book, and GI Joe has popped up referencing the same thing

Man, I gotta save up some dough and actually get the various pieces of all this stuff. ROM/Transformers was pretty good and I loved MTMTE.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is it more or less accessible than Intersect? That was a bit challenging between the negative exposition and the abstract art. The combination was a little too difficult to parse.

I'm a trade-waiter, so I'm just kinda pleased to see Underwinter already solicited for a second arc.

Shining Armor takes place roughly around the mid 19th century, Earth-time. It's not long after both the Autobots and Decepticons left Cybertron (due to the planet's resources being exhuasted) but before they started putting agents on Earth.

The other main thing I'm curious about in the crossover is (early MTMTE spoilers)
who is piloting the Ultra Magnus armour
. I would hope that it's
Minimus Ambus
but they were always slightly vague about the timing of that.

Is it more or less accessible than Intersect? That was a bit challenging between the negative exposition and the abstract art. The combination was a little too difficult to parse.

I'm a trade-waiter, so I'm just kinda pleased to see Underwinter already solicited for a second arc.

Hmmm, that's a good question and I'm not sure where I land on it. I actually dropped Intersect as I found it too obtuse and abstract, but looking back at what I read, it definitely had much more distinct characters, plot, even art. But Underwinter is still easier, story-wise, because it isn't trying to do as much.

I dunno, Ray Fawkes makes weird comics ;p

For the DC BOGO sale, if a book came out after the stated date, does it still at least make another book free?

Edit: From a Didio/Lee panel that's ongoing:
Lee said the upcoming Milestone relaunch will take place on "Earth M," which he called an alternate reality entirely.
A young fan asked how Multiversity, The Wild Storm, and Dark Nights: Metal fit together. Lee said that the answers will come in time, but it all stems to Morrison's idea that the 52 universes of the multiverse are not the only things out there.
Morrison is teaming with Chris Burnham for Arkham Asylum 2.
He called Arkham Asylum 2 his "jump the shark moment."
It's a 120 page OGN set in the Batman #666 era.
DiDio brought up Morrison's Wonder Woman Earth One, saying that Morrison goes deep on history. "In the case of Wonder Woman, I didn't!" said Morrison, who says his interpretation of the character is based mostly on the William Moulton Marston version.
Morrison talked about developing an alternate view of the culture of the Amazons.
A sequel to the story is coming, which Morrison calls "the story's Empire Strikes Back."
The villain is Paula Von Gunter reimagined as a "Nazi Superwoman" who tries to lead an invasion of Paradise Island.
"We're kind of showing you cannot f--- with this island of women," he said. "For 3000 years, they've been doing it better than you."
Morrison sees his Wonder Woman story as a trilogy
Morrison has been focused on TV and movies than comic books for the last year.

Sandfox

Jim Lee said that DC won't be doing an Unlimited style service because they feel having everything available at a single price devalues the product.

He also said that the Milestone books will take place in an alternate reality.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Morrison is teaming with Chris Burnham for Arkham Asylum 2.

Interesting... what a wildly different artistic direction.

jackdoe

Jim Lee said that DC won't be doing an Unlimited style service because they feel having everything available at a single price devalues the product.

So their DC Digital Service thing won't have comics then, just Young Justice and Titans?

The full quote is
Lee said discussions have taken place "but we're not ready to pull the trigger on that."
Lee said he feels it "devalues the product line to make it available at a single price."

Morrison is on fire. A fan said they wanted to go back and read every event and Morrison quipped "Don't start with Final Crisis".

Top Bottom