• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Invincible. I've read a lot of cape books over the past few decades. This is unquestionably the best. Amazing. The art by Ottley, the writing, the way the characters progress in the story...perfection.

Screw The Walking Dead. Invincible is Kirkman's best.

I can't wait to see your reaction to how good the art gets by the issue 50-60 range. Ottley da gawd.

lol
e6c0e0ff6844a7c47145985659910dfb9e593ca2a97267d971d0e45a44ad5b96_1.jpg

Bastion is fine. It's that fucking piece of shit Torbjorn that needs a nerf. I think the turret is mostly fine, but it needs a more limited range.

Next week is light on interesting trades again (Except for SMT, which I already have). Good for my wallet, have to save up for some Lego.

So how many earth based GLs are around right now? Hal, Guy, Kyle, Simon, John and Jessica? Are all active?
Guy's still a Red in my heart. And Kyle's a White. Or is he? I don't know what happened after Relic and Omega Men.
I think whathisname got his trip cut short and BK is in putting in work on red lanterns

Comic book goals 6/5-6/12
TheFlow- hellboy vol 2-12
Brianfellows- finish superior foes
Sandfox- catch up on Sex Criminals or finish reading Fraction's Hawkeye.
Echoshifting- I will have ten or less books to finish in Comixology by next Sunday.
Bkatastrophe- Green Lantern: Blackest Night, my floppies, Red Lanterns Vol. 5, and Buffy S8 Vol. 4.
Vanwrinkle- East of west year one ohc
whatsinaname- survive business trip
Messi-overwatch
TheFlow - troll every comicsgaf poster individually (echo, tragic, messi unlocked)
Launchpadmcq- overwatch
zombine- overwatch(I don't think this is his actual goal)
lashley- 3-5 hellboy books
Hagi-deadly class volume 1-3, east of west year 1, and gundam origin whole series.
sillymonkey321-overwatch

Finished Red Lanterns and I also hit Blackest Night.

Messi

I say this as someone who sometimes plays Torbjorn, too. That turret is fucking unfair. Especially when there's more then one Tor on a team.

Played against 5 on a team last night. Lost so quickly. Did the same right back and they couldn't counter. No one having fun. Fix this shit.

The turret needs a smaller range or damage or a delay in picking up a target.

Played against 5 on a team last night. Lost so quickly. Did the same right back and they couldn't counter. No one having fun. Fix this shit.

The turret needs a smaller range or damage or a delay in picking up a target.

The locking-on speed of the turret is an issue, too. Unless it's already aiming at someone else, it's pretty much instantaneous. I'm sure all this stuff will be fixed over time, it's just that this is Blizzard's first shooter, and they're going through some growing pains as they learn.

Messi

The locking-on speed of the turret is an issue, too. Unless it's already aiming at someone else, it's pretty much instantaneous. I'm sure all this stuff will be fixed over time, it's just that this is Blizzard's first shooter, and they're going through some growing pains as they learn.

They should lock duplicates of characters to 2 also.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Hellboy Darkness Calls

Brilliant. Baba Yaga finally putting her plan into action in revenge for HB taking her eye.

5/5

Red Lanterns Vol. 5: Atrocities

Originally I had started Red Lanterns because I figured Guy Gardner being angry as hell and Atrocitus doing shit would give me some dope stuff. And for awhile, I was in to it. Sure, Milligan's run wasn't battle heavy. It was a weird psychological thing, where everyone is a paranoid scumbag. It was still really cool (and fairly unique as far as I'm concerned), but it wasn't hitting that need that caused me to start the book in the first place. Then I start Soule's run and it was getting there with Vol. 4, but still not quite hitting it. When you start a book, especially a lengthy one, you expect a payoff to your investments. Time, money, emotions, etc. And this? This is that payoff.

To begin, we see Guy, Bleez, Rankorr, Zox, and Skallox all chilling on Ysmault. After saving a race from an evil dictator, said race built them all statues, including Ratchet -- as he died saving them and their planet. At this point, they aren't sure what to do, so Bleez and Rankorr decide to go track down Ratchet's ring and possibly it's new host. Guy takes Skallox and Zox with him to Earth so he can patch things up with Ice, his old girlfriend, and sends them off to view various places around the world that Guy thought would be impressive. Shadow Thief shows up, and being an insane xenophobic, beats Skallox and Zox. Guy goes to save them, taking Ice to show her he's changed. Guy succeeds in saving them, but not convincing her. With everyone humiliated, they return to Ysmault to find that during this, Kara Zor-El a.k.a. Supergirl has received a Red ring. In her newborn madness, she ran across some Green Lanterns. Since this was after Relic had revealed that the Emotional Spectrum was a limited resource (the dumbest fucking thing in literally the forevers), GL's have now taken up a new duty: ensuring that only those authorized are allowed to utilize the Emotional Spectrum. Kara is not allowed, and was therefore captured. Since Saint Walker, the only current Blue Lantern, no longer has hope, Kara is now stuck as a Red. Hal decides to bring her to Ysmault, where he turns her over to Guy's crew.

Now with Kara training with Zox, Skallox, and Guy, they head down to Earth to see if Clark Kent a.k.a. Kal-El a.k.a. Superman could possibly help her. Since Kara and Clark don't see eye-to-eye as of late, he lets her stay with the Reds, seeing as she is an independent woman and technically older than him anyways. After they go back to Ysmault, Bleez shows back up in the worst fashion (see: fucked up). During these past events on Earth and with Kara, Bleez and Rankorr found Ratchet's former Ring and its new host...right alongside Atrocitus and Dex-Starr. They managed to get to the planet first, and chilled in a nice wooden shed in the middle of nowhere. Bleez and Rankorr get wrecked, and Rankorr stays behind to allow Bleez to flee. In this time, Bleez and the rest also inform Guy that right before he showed up, Atrocitus had released nine new rings in order to help replace their forces after the First Lantern a.k.a. Volthoom decimated their ranks. Guy decides that they should search for new Reds and indeed find one: a former judge on a corrupt-ass planet, who was dying when the ring found her. She becomes what basically amounts to a grim reaper-esque figure, judging people for their crimes and exploding their heads for it.

Guy decides that stopping her takes priority over finding Rankorr, and so they all go there to find her. Eventually they find her, and realize she's actually coherent, though still succumbed to the madness. Like Rankorr. Kara smashes the magic blood they had stored on their ship all over the city, and while it does purify the Judge (which is what she goes by now even though her real name is Sheko), it also gives Atrocitus a ton of power considering he's a fucking blood shaman that created the Red Lanterns USING BLOOD MAGIC. So he makes a sick blood tornado and Guy's group spirit bombs it away. They strike a deal: Atrocitus gives up Rankorr if they give up the Judge, however the Judge decides to stick with Guy -- having already deemed Atrocitus "innocent", she wishes to hear Guy's side. Though she does not fight, only judges. Anyways, Atrocitus fucks off and Guy's group goes to find Rankorr. Finding him to be insane, they capture him and put him back on the ship.

The group then goes back to Ysmault to recuperate, however they are greeted by a poisoned blood lake and a destroyed Power Battery. While they were away, Atrocitus did indeed play. While the group struggles to recover, Guy sends Kara away, saying she doesn't belong here and he doesn't need her to die. She does indeed leave. Meanwhile, Bleez attempts to reach out to Rankorr while Zox and Skallox fix up the ship. Skallox goes to check his old sector and leaves when the group isn't looking. He finds Red Lantern activity, and it's revealed that Atrocitus has set up a new Red base in the form of a FUCKING CATHEDRAL TO HIMSELF, PRIEST ROBES AND EVERYTHING, BECAUSE HE'S A FUCKING BOSS on Skallox's old planet. Revealing that he has found the other Reds, Atrocitus allows Skallox to rejoin his crew, but only to use him as a pawn. He Starscreams Skallox. It's glorious.

So anyways Atrocitus takes his new group to Earth, having created a ton of rings, and sets them upon Earth after completely and utterly wrecking it JUST TO MAKE OTHER HUMANS ANGRY. HE PUTS IN WORK, GUYS. HE PUTS IN WORK. Anyways, Earth's a mess, and Guy goes to fix it up, sending Bleez and Zox on two separate missions: Zox goes to where the new Red base is to destroy the blood lake and the, what I assume, new Battery IN THE FORM OF A CATHEDRAL. As Zox is wrecking shit, it's revealed that Rankorr was playing insane and proceeds to kill Zox and give the other Reds still on the planet (including the former captain of the ship from whom Guy took it) the ship. It's then revealed that Rankorr's betrayal was because of another Red Lantern that had taken over his body, which Rankorr then kills. He leaves the ship while ZOx destroys it in the blood lake, killing the Reds stationed there and the cathedral. Skallox was also there with Shadow Thief, a brand new Red, because it turns out she made Skallox super hard. Anyways, Bleez's mission was to go back to the planet saved from the evil dictator and have them come in with their pacifying slave lasers to calm the Reds on Earth. They were not prepared for Atrocitus. Oh, also, during the Earth fight Kara shows up, revealing that you can also remove a Red ring by simply letting go of your anger. Huh.

Anyways, battle happens and Guy, Bleez, Skallox, and Rankorr friendship some of the new Reds on to their side. They don't get many, however, and Atrocitus gets the rest. The battle returns to Ysmault, where an all out battle happens between the two factions. The battle is then ended by the Judge judging herself, which causes a massive brain explosion, killing her and a ton of other Reds. Guy takes advantage of this, making Atrocitus his bitch in the process by proving he's angrier, and absorbs ALL THE RED RINGS HE CAN, which makes him Ghost Rider (trademark Marvel Comics). He then disperses them, creating a new blood lake and restoring the Battery. Atrocitus and Dex-Starr, plus any Reds still alive and on Atrocitus' side are all sent to Oa to be imprisoned. Control is given to Rankorr and Bleez -- Skallox was killed by Atrocitus, who was dealing Skallox some next level ether -- while Guy returns to Earth. Still wearing his ring around his neck.

So yeah, that was a pretty sick read. Lots of action and some great characterization and arcs. Bleez realizing she doesn't want to be alone anymore, Skallox finally setting in his convictions, Zillius Zox finding out what a testicle is, etc. you get the idea. Guy finally learning to use his rage for a good purpose and that he's mastered it was really the crowning completion to the arc. While I don't like how Soule's run has made Atrocitus a bit of a whiny bitch, it's also made him a really formidable villain. I mean, come on, fucking BLOOD MAGIC, guys. It's like, one of my favorite fantasy tropes. Anyways, the art is super on point. The only time I'm not fond of it is when it switches over to Supergirl #31 in order to continue the arc with the Judge, which isn't to say it's bad art, it's just not Alessandro Vitti and that throws me off hard. The Annual also has different art and, again, it's not bad, but it throws me the fuck off. It also switches art when it goes to Green Lantern #28 when Supergirl becomes a Red and is out of control, but Billy Tan's art style didn't seem too different from Vitti's. Different enough that I noticed, but not so much that it shook me like the Supergirl and Annual switches did. I think the coloring was the main reason I noticed a difference, since it seemed brighter and cleaner than the coloring on Vitti's issues.

One last thing I really loved about this run was not only Supergirl, but also how Soule really tried to emphasize the Reds unique abilities. Since constructs aren't a thing with the Reds, save for Rankorr and Dex-Starr (and only because the latter drank the blood of the former), there was a huge emphasis on each character's unique skills and abilities: Bleez's bone wings and manipulative skills; Atrocitus' blood magic; Skallox's abilities of observation; Zox's mechanical skills; the Judge's ability to, well, judge; Klarn's (the new host for Ratchet's ring) ability to absorb and redirect energy; and of course, Kara's Kryptonian abilities. It was really cool, especially compared to a lot of the other corps, where the only real differences are how they use constructs. All in all, it's a great story, and I can't wait to read the final trade.

No Silk lol. Keep pushing that crappy Gwen though. I am sure people will start to love her book someday

Would you like something to eat with that salt?

No but marvel do and they continue to forcefeed people Spider-Gwen.

I suppose we are assuming marvel have no say in what characters are getting figures. Two Venoms lol.

Speaking of Venom, how has Venom: Space Knight been?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Fun and moderately zany. I dropped it after the first issue, went back when I saw some praise for it here and I'm really glad I did.

But the first issue was awesome :/

Flash is a very likeable character.

tim1138

do you have one?

Been thinking about getting back into it one day. Link it so I can bookmark for later.

see below

yes! :)

but

I don't have any of the other trades atm so I can't read any of the other issues :(

but

you can give me your comixology account and password :)

hmm, i dunno how this will work with trades, you'll have to look at the collected issues in each volume.

1-12, 0, 18-21, annual 2, 22-29.

this skips the god awful rot world stuff that almost killed the book

Man, comics are looking great on the Surface Pro 4.

Single pages are pretty much identical to the real thing.

Two page spreads look nice as well. They're also very readable in portrait mode as well.

One interesting thing of note is that the Marvel Unlimited website has native touch touch controls (i.e. swiping left and right actually progresses or reverses the comic respectively).
With Comixology you just have to stick with the normal Desktop interface, but on a touch screen. This really surprised me because, generally, it seemed like Comixology had been ahead of Marvel in terms their reading interfaces.

I wonder if I put in a ticket/email Comixology if they could work that in....hm.

i'm trying to order something on kotobukiya but I've pressed "place order" and nothing happens.

What are you trying to order? And why are you using their site? Just order from Japan. It's cheaper and you'll get it a month sooner.

AmiAmi, Hobbysearch and HLJ are all top notch sites.

Top Bottom