• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| June 2016. The Manhattan Project

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Finally finished Superior Foes. It definitely lived up to the hype. Now I'm sad it's over. At least I still have Fix to scratch that itch.

TheFlow

Banned
just read the "crooked man" from hellboy. The art is so drastically different but kinda in a good way because it makes the story so much more unsettling.

image.php

I loved this outfit. Probably my favourite Cyclops outfit tbh.

just read the "crooked man" from hellboy. The art is so drastically different but kinda in a good way because it makes the story so much more unsettling.
That art gets used again, but I can't remember which stories.
image.php

I loved this outfit. Probably my favourite Cyclops outfit tbh.

I also really liked it, but as for favorites, the Astonishing outfits take the cake. Especially considering the one he wore during the Ellis run he wore all the way up to the beginning of All-New X-Men.

Whedon/Cassaday da gawds

I mean, that he wore for a long-ass time.

Ultimate was always a good one. Most, if not all, the Ultimate X-Men designs were pretty good. Well, until later on, but that was past what I read. Since I'd only read the first couple volumes.
Bonus points for just ridiculous-yet-still-cool
Even though they were all just color-coded versions of the same outfit, I really liked the first set of All-New costumes.

Trench coat Cyke is always fun.

And finally:
Just fucking a. Goddamnit this costume is terrible. I mean, the anime is pretty bad, but this costume just really seals it as the worst part.

Tizoc

Yeesh none of this week's DC Rebirth issues were entertaining, really hope the later issues pick up the pace.

Vision felt slow again, and Darth Vader was OK.

Rather a dull week in comics all in all.

EDIT: YOOOOOOOOO I FORGOT KAIJUMAX S2 STARTED!
Just read #1 and #2, great stuff.

Lain

I posted this in the manga thread but on second thought, it fits in here.

Jem and The Holograms volume 1

Sophie Campbell's art is really nice to look at and the whole book is pretty and colorful.
I've never been a big fan of the old cartoon though I watched some of it growing up and I'll say, I really like this new version more.
I don't remember if the old version had a lesbian relationship (given the times, I'd go with no), but this one does and I think that's cool.
Talking about the content, it starts with Jerrica getting ahold of her special earrings and being able to become Jem and finally manage to perform in front of people, record a video for the group and start getting on The Misfits (and Pizzazz in particular) bad side for simply becoming popular.
Pizzazz is a psycho.

I really appreciated the short bios at the end of the book for the main characters (Jem and The Holograms, The Misfits and their 2 followers, Rio) and the various illustrations from various artists for the old Jem and The Holograms.

This came out here with a variant cover
and I was undecided initially about which one to get, but the Jem version of the cover won me over in the end.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
woah wait a minute

is Morning Glories ending at issue 50? which comes out in like 3 weeks?

this might be a great time to re-read the whole thing from the start.

I face the toughest decisions right now.

Buy overwatch or catch up on all my Cmx backlog. :/.

OVERWATCH

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just finished Gotham Central

...What the hell though!?!? THAT was the ending!? Talk about BULLSHIT. You can't just end such an incredible series like THAT!

But regardless of the terrible cliffhanger of an ending and complete lack of resolution, that was a fantastic comic. I kept finding myself looking forward to the next time I'd have some free time and have a chance to read more of it. Really great stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion for a similar series? I've read Criminal and Sleeper by Brubaker. I haven't read anything by Rucka though. Suggestions?

Also, what's the word on Fatale? Worth picking it up?

Just finished Gotham Central

...What the hell though!?!? THAT was the ending!? Talk about BULLSHIT. You can't just end such an incredible series like THAT!

But regardless of the terrible cliffhanger of an ending and complete lack of resolution, that was a fantastic comic.
I kept finding myself looking forward to the next time I'd have some free time and have a chance to read more of it. Really great stuff.

Anyone have a suggestion for a similar series? I've read Criminal and Sleeper by Brubaker. I haven't read anything by Rucka though. Suggestions?

Yep, that was my only problem with the series. I think we can thank Didio for it.

Rucka? I don't know about simlar series but do not miss his Queen & Country series, it is brilliant. (And does not have a problem with an abrupt ending).

I would also suggest his Wonder Woman run. The new trades are coming out starting later this year.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me

Lazarus! I'd also recommend Black Magick but the second arc of it won't be starting up until early next year so it can definitely wait.

And Fatale is good if you like Brubaker's style. I don't so I didn't though.

All the robins rolled into one because Scott Snyder seemed to want everything he did to be his own thing.

Oh, the kid from Zero Year!

Duke Thomas. Introduced in... I think Zero Year? He's the kid who talks to Batman after he wakes up from the coma. He's also prominent in We Are Robin. Cool dude.

Does he have a major part in the second half of the run or is it mainly a We Are Robin thing?

Oh, the kid from Zero Year!

Does he have a major part in the second half of the run or is it mainly a We Are Robin thing?

I'd have to do a reread, but I think his presence in the actual run is mostly background stuff; a cameo here and there.

We Are Robin is worth a read when it gets collected, tho.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Yep, that was my only problem with the series. I think we can thank Didio for it.

Rucka? I don't know about simlar series but do not miss his Queen & Country series, it is brilliant. (And does not have a problem with an abrupt ending).

I would also suggest his Wonder Woman run. The new trades are coming out starting later this year.

Lazarus! I'd also recommend Black Magick but the second arc of it won't be starting up until early next year so it can definitely wait.

And Fatale is good if you like Brubaker's style. I don't so I didn't though.

Thanks guys!

What finally got TheFlow banned?

I grew tired of his harassing me in multiple threads, and asked him to stop. He came back with one "lol k ;p" too many.

Going back into Invincible this afternoon. This book is amazing. I'm hoping to finish the first omnibus (30 issues), maybe more. Just a sublime comic.

Just finished reading all of Valiant's stuff up through The Valiant, except for Shadowman, which I read the first trade of and didn't like very much. Wow. Pretty amazing how cohesively some of this stuff fits together. It feels like the writers of all the books read the other books and have a good understanding of how all the characters fit together and interact. The first crossover, Harbinger War was really fun, and it's cool to see more of that cohesion in later books with stuff like Unity and their 4000AD line of books (Rai, Ivar, and prob the current event they have going on)
A lot of the books started off really rough in my opinion, but in retrospect were laying some pretty strong foundational stuff for later on. I love Cary Nord in the X-O Manowar book, everyone should really give it a shot.

Reading through The Valiant, I can see how they kind of try to introduce concepts to new readers, but fuck that would be a really weird place to start. I think some background info on Armstrong and his family through his book is kind of necessary, while reading X-O, Bloodshot (which really gets more fun after the crossover, couldn't stand the start of this one), Harbinger, and Unity will just improve on all this, seeing all of the elements work together seamlessly

Everyone should check out Valiant. Cant wait for their new titles. Their art has been consistently outstanding, notwithstanding some of the early issues. Gimme more Rivera and Nord !!

Mindwipe

Just finished reading all of Valiant's stuff up through The Valiant, except for Shadowman, which I read the first trade of and didn't like very much.

Correct decision, Shadowman is definitely Valiant's clunker. The main characters get pretty unlikable by volume 4.

Top Bottom