• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

From the new Transformers preview it seems like Megatron has a new alt-form. A tank?
As far as I know he has never transformed into anything other than a pistol in IDW so far.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
From the new Transformers preview it seems like Megatron has a new alt-form. A tank?
As far as I know he has never transformed into anything other than a pistol in IDW so far.

He became a bomber airplane for a short while.... He was pretty bad ass too in that form to be honest.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I don't remember that. Was it when he had the uber purple and black body?

Yep. He only used the alt form once to beat the crap out of starscream....
Honestly IDW has used Megatron sparingly but every time they did in hindsight was legwork to lead to him becoming a Autobot. I'm really interested to see him out in the universe doing something.

dan2026

Yep. He only used the alt form once to beat the crap out of starscream....
Honestly IDW has used Megatron sparingly but every time they did in hindsight was legwork to lead to him becoming a Autobot. I'm really interested to see him out in the universe doing something.

Yeah they have at least not squandered him with overuse.

Owzers

I just finished Dark Souls II. Now I feel like buying myself Brubaker's Catwoman run as a reward. XD

I'm 2/3rds of the way done, maybe a little more, and i think 'm giving up. I'd rather read DC books at this point than play more...especially since i'm a sorcerer and From Software decided that every piece of loot i find or boss weapon i can make is going to be for melee-ers

I'm 2/3rds of the way done, maybe a little more, and i think 'm giving up. I'd rather read DC books at this point than play more...especially since i'm a sorcerer and From Software decided that every piece of loot i find or boss weapon i can make is going to be for melee-ers

As good as Dark Souls 2 is (beat it as sorcerer myself), I'm not surprised you'd rather read good comics.

Been working on my backlog personally. The latest Flash arc is interesting.

Owzers

i have high hopes for Batman #29 after hating 28, it's at the top of my reading list whenever my brain isn't full of mucus.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Funny you guys are talking about "I'd rather be reading comics than playing games." Ever since I started really reading comics about half a year ago, I've barely been playing any games. It's pretty much just replaced games as my main leisure activity.

Anyways, I'm rereading Welcome Back, Frank which was one of the first comics I read and I had remembered really liking it.
And rereading it, MAN do I love that book. Even after reading so much great stuff after it, it still remains one of my all time favorites. It's just such great fun.

Funny you guys are talking about "I'd rather be reading comics than playing games." Ever since I started really reading comics about half a year ago, I've barely been playing any games. It's pretty much just replaced games as my main leisure activity.

Anyways, I'm rereading Welcome Back, Frank which was one of the first comics I read and I had remembered really liking it.
And rereading it, MAN do I love that book. Even after reading so much great stuff after it, it still remains one of my all time favorites. It's just such great fun.
I don't do anything but read comics, comic superstar preparations, watch wrestling and CW shows and work at Walmart.

Owzers

the proper order is: 5 or so comics you want to read the most, videogame that is good, rest of comics while watching NBA/NCAA/Football games

Guardians of the Galaxy 13 was ace. Young Cyclops is such a boss. He delivers the p0wn on Gladiator and then some sentimental stuff to both Jean and Laura before he
departs into space with his dad
. I think Bendis is trying to redeem Cyclops with his UnXM and ANXM runs.

Also, All New X-Factor has been consistently great. Peter David really knows how to write Gambit (hell, he can write any character perfectly) which makes me wish he had handled the Gambit series instead of Joshua Hale Fialkov last year.

CorvoSol

I've been a huge fan of the Batman Beyond / Justice League Beyond stuff for the past couple of years. It's just great. Are you reading Justice League Beyond or just Batman Beyond? This last arc, the Brainiac Invasion has introduced and reintroduced so many great characters to the DCAU.

Just Batman Beyond at the moment. It's only a buck a pop so it's something I can afford to splurge on or follow along with. I've always enjoyed the kind of Spider-Man take that Batman Beyond has going on for itself. It's great that it's relevant to me again with Terry being in college now, too, haha.

For those of you that read GotG,
what on earth just happened with Jean Grey? Is this some sort of allusion to future OG Jean?

Also, I really like splitting Cyke and Jean up for future issues. Mixes things up a bit.

She
was manipulating the combined psychic energy of everyone there as an offensive weapon. For whatever reason, the jump to the future has ramped up the development of her abilities to a crazy high degree, and no one has explained why yet. At this rate, she probably WILL end up as crazy OP jean that needs a Xorn helmet to keep from overloading.

Sounds like you've got your life in order.
It's going great brah thanks. I battled my bedridden fate from West Nile Virus and Super Mono to this. I just keep fighting and clawin' like Remember The Titans.

Rock Over London
Rock On Chicago
Diet Pepsi
You picked he right one baby

Kipp

It's going great brah thanks. I battled my bedridden fate from West Nile Virus and Super Mono to this. I just keep fighting and clawin' like Remember The Titans.

Well it looks like you've already got the origin story for when you become a comics superstar, so you've got that going for you.

Also, how much of Hellboy have you read? You liking it so far?

Well it looks like you've already got the origin story for when you become a comics superstar, so you've got that going for you.

Also, how much of Hellboy have you read? You liking it so far?
They just sent more of it to me yesterday. I think Im still waiting on volume four. It's good so far. You need a lint brush to protect the covers though. I need to think of a strategy to collect the rest of the universe where the hardcovers left off....

Kipp

They just sent more of it to me yesterday. I think Im still waiting on volume four. It's good so far. You need a lint brush to protect the covers though. I need to think of a strategy to collect the rest of the universe where the hardcovers left off....

Ah nice. Glad you're liking it. And that seems a tiny bit annoying. They're black cloth covers, right?
And yeah, I wonder if there are plans to make more library editions or if they're gonna stick to the normal hardcovers from here on out.

So, I just finished Fear Itself and a few of its tie-ins. Now...I like most Marvel events. There were even a few things I liked about Secret Invasion, which prior to today I considered the weakest of the major events in the modern era. Coming into this from Siege, another oft-maligned event I actually kinda liked, I had what I thought were appropriately low expectations, an approach which has seen me through many such crossovers.

Nope. Not nearly low enough. WOW. I'm just...astounded by how bad it is. I am actually angry about the time I spent reading it, which is sort of a new thing for me with comics. I feel like I could rant for a couple thousand words about how bad this one is...

Ah nice. Glad you're liking it. And that seems a tiny bit annoying. They're black cloth covers, right?
And yeah, I wonder if there are plans to make more library editions or if they're gonna stick to the normal hardcovers from here on out.
Yeah, I noticed that DC even has library editions. The hardcover from my local library is much thicker and has a different binding than my hardcovers. The Itty Bitty Hellboy plushes are starting to entice me. :)

So, I just finished Fear Itself and a few of its tie-ins. Now...I like most Marvel events. There were even a few things I liked about Secret Invasion, which prior to today I considered the weakest of the major events in the modern era. Coming into this from Siege, another oft-maligned event I actually kinda liked, I had what I thought were appropriately low expectations, an approach which has seen me through many such crossovers.

Nope. Not nearly low enough. WOW. I'm just...astounded by how bad it is. I am actually angry about the time I spent reading it, which is sort of a new thing for me with comics. I feel like I could rant for a couple thousand words about how bad this one is...

you'd be preaching to the choir. That one is not held in very high regard.

Owzers

i haven't really liked a Marvel Event since Silent War, which wasn't very hyped. Infinity was close but Hickman didn't write it as a comic, just jumped around a plot outline without taking the time to make the beats count.

Have fun reading Avengers vs X-Men and Age of Ultron next Xp

Birdie is literally the only intellgient person who likes that book

Straight Messi quality comics

The worst thing about it is the awful tie-ins. It's like BMB looked at every bad thing everyone ever says about him and decided to play all that shit up. WTF at page after page after page of talking heads, in separate debriefings (which begin right at the top of the story and involve virtually everyone, thereby robbing it of any stakes it may have had if there were any to begin with), sharing a monologue. I could have screamed.

That digital disadvantage, because I can't burn any of these pages

Have fun reading Avengers vs X-Men and Age of Ultron next Xp

The sick thing is I can barely wait to start AvX. I'm such a bitch

Fear Itself itself was horrifying but the Iron Man tie ins and the Journey into Mystery were really good (especially JiM...it's fantastic). The dracula stuff I thought was cool too but completely unnecessary. Fear Itself was just a poorly conceived idea from the start.

AvX isn't horrible on the same level (unless you like Cyclops, which you shouldn't because he's been a huge dick for over a decade now)...it just got Bendis'd. AvX would have been a really cool and fun story at about 6 issues (maybe 8 at the max). The problem is that it's twelve issues long and nothing happens in half of them.

frye

Fear Itself itself was horrifying but the Iron Man tie ins and the Journey into Mystery were really good (especially JiM...it's fantastic). The dracula stuff I thought was cool too but completely unnecessary. Fear Itself was just a poorly conceived idea from the start.

AvX isn't horrible on the same level (unless you like Cyclops, which you shouldn't because he's been a huge dick for over a decade now)...it just got Bendis'd. AvX would have been a really cool and fun story at about 6 issues (maybe 8 at the max). The problem is that it's twelve issues long and nothing happens in half of them.

Winter Solider really revitalized the BruCap stuff which had been languishing since Reborn too and the Fraction Defenders comic that came out of FI - while spectacularly hit or miss - had some very high highs.

Yeah, JiM is just about the only thing that glitters in this pile of shit. Kid Loki is a lot of fun. I did think there were about twice as many issues as there needed to be, though...Mephisto and the politics of Marvel Hell have never interested me much at all.

Owzers

Yeah, JiM is just about the only thing that glitters in this pile of shit. Kid Loki is a lot of fun. I did think there were about twice as many issues as there needed to be, though...Mephisto and the politics of Marvel Hell have never interested me much at all.

it's why i'm probably not going to spring for the Ultimate TPB Collections, that middle dragged.

Fear Agent Library vol 2 arrived from Amazon with only the smallest dent on one of the corners, probably going to keep it.

CorvoSol

Finished catching up with Batman Beyond 2.0. Really loving this run so far. I think one of the aspects I really like about Batman Beyond is the relationship Terry has with the old Bat family. Like Dick Grayson is playing mentor to him after a falling out with Bruce this time around, and Dick is trying super hard to make sure that Terry doesn't neglect his social life because of being Batman.

In fact, the second arc, "The Bat Men" seems to be focused almost entirely on this. On helping Terry and Bruce not let the cowl rule their lives. A lot of it at the moment is focused on Terry, Dick, and Barbara all sort of equating the cowl to Bruce, because Bruce DID let the cowl rule his life and it poisoned his relationships with Dick, Tim, and Barbara, but at the same time Bruce is realizing how much he's messed up and trying to make amends (and seeing Batman reach out to people is great).

Like, I already love the action parts and all that, but I'm really appreciating the effort they put into developing this Bat family thing. It really takes Terry from just being Batman Peter Parker juggling his girlfriends, friends, school and family with his superheroing to someone whose commitment not to wind up like "the old man" is having a positive effect on the lives of people around him.

Wookieomg

Hey guys, I've got a question I'm hoping someone can help me with... And I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, sorry in advance if it's not.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to comics... I've read a few graphic novels in the past, namely Hush and The Dark Knight Returns from the Batman universe, and the only comic series I've read is Preacher, a few months ago actually. Really enjoyed them all. But never read any other series. I really want to get into the Marvel and DC universes (multiverses? :p), as well as any other comic brands that GAF can recommend me, but I literally have no idea where to start. I saw the comics listed in the OP and some of them looked great, but my question is more about comics in general than just the monthly issues.

Firstly, I know about New 52 and Marvel NOW being kinda sorta reboots of the various DC and Marvel franchises, right? Should I start there? Or is somewhere else more relevant? I know there's a ginormous amount of lore for each of these brands and would definitely want to consume as much of it as I can, but it seems an insurmountable task to someone just coming into the fray. And I am aware that they are reinventing some characters for these reboots and I'm not sure if that's where a beginner should start or not.

Secondly, any other series or graphic novels people really love or that the community raise on a pedestal, feel free to clue me on in. :D My tastes range mainly in the fantasy/sci-fi areas of interest, but I'm willing to try anything once!

Messi

I am crazy hyped for Batman Eternal. I wanna see what crazy stuff they do with Batgirl, Catwoman, Harley and Batwoman.

noquarter

Finally had a moment to read some comics. Got through All New Ghost Rider and Silver Surfer, along with Harley Quinn 1.

Ghost Rider had some really nice art, but the story was pretty lame, I thought. Really wish they would have just made it 'Mature' instead of 'Teen', even though the writing would still have been generic, just really hate #*$%&@% censored text like that.

Silver Surfer though I really enjoyed. Thought the art fit the writing pretty well and made me think of how I feel the comics were drawn when I was a kid. I really liked the last page also, just how Silver Surfer responds. Can't wait for next month.

Harley Quinn was alright. I will read the next three hopefully today or tomorrow. Thought the writing was alright, and interested to see where it goes.

Also, in the past two days went to three comic shops in Colorado and Texas and none of them had Deadly Class #3. Going to go out today and see if I can find a copy around town here.

arkon

Hey guys, I've got a question I'm hoping someone can help me with... And I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, sorry in advance if it's not.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to comics... I've read a few graphic novels in the past, namely Hush and The Dark Knight Returns from the Batman universe, and the only comic series I've read is Preacher, a few months ago actually. Really enjoyed them all. But never read any other series. I really want to get into the Marvel and DC universes (multiverses? :p), as well as any other comic brands that GAF can recommend me, but I literally have no idea where to start. I saw the comics listed in the OP and some of them looked great, but my question is more about comics in general than just the monthly issues.

Firstly, I know about New 52 and Marvel NOW being kinda sorta reboots of the various DC and Marvel franchises, right? Should I start there? Or is somewhere else more relevant? I know there's a ginormous amount of lore for each of these brands and would definitely want to consume as much of it as I can, but it seems an insurmountable task to someone just coming into the fray. And I am aware that they are reinventing some characters for these reboots and I'm not sure if that's where a beginner should start or not.

Secondly, any other series or graphic novels people really love or that the community raise on a pedestal, feel free to clue me on in. :D My tastes range mainly in the fantasy/sci-fi areas of interest, but I'm willing to try anything once!

Start with number one issues of stuff that sounds interesting to you. New 52 across the board and Marvel NOW branded issues. If there are things you don't understand there's loads of information at your fingertips (wikipedia, comicvine database, etc..) and if stuff still doesn't make sense you can always ask in forums like GAF. IMO the best way to go is to jump in and fill in the blanks as you go.

Messi

Finally had a moment to read some comics. Got through All New Ghost Rider and Silver Surfer, along with Harley Quinn 1.

Ghost Rider had some really nice art, but the story was pretty lame, I thought. Really wish they would have just made it 'Mature' instead of 'Teen', even though the writing would still have been generic, just really hate #*$%&@% censored text like that.

Silver Surfer though I really enjoyed. Thought the art fit the writing pretty well and made me think of how I feel the comics were drawn when I was a kid. I really liked the last page also, just how Silver Surfer responds. Can't wait for next month.

Harley Quinn was alright. I will read the next three hopefully today or tomorrow. Thought the writing was alright, and interested to see where it goes.

Also, in the past two days went to three comic shops in Colorado and Texas and none of them had Deadly Class #3. Going to go out today and see if I can find a copy around town here.

Harley #2 is by far the best issue so far but it's madcap madness each month.

yo, same. i picked up comics in 2011 and i haven't regularly played a game since. i've played through like 2-3 games to completion since and that's it.

Owzers

It's probably the most important Tony Stark story in about 20 years, so...

But for me, it was Wednesday.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to comics...

Do you have an ipad? if so, look into Marvel Unlimited, it's the best way financially to read a ton of previous marvel runs and events outside of having a well stocked library.

I am crazy hyped for Batman Eternal. I wanna see what crazy stuff they do with Batgirl, Catwoman, Harley and Batwoman.

Same. And you forgot to mention Harper Row. :(

But I'm really excited to see the direction they take this. It's both good and bad that this is a weekly book. Good for storytelling, bad for my wallet. At least it's $2.99 and not $3.99... It would take some massive balls on DC's part to charge $4 for a weekly book.

Eh, I almost gave up a few times, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Though I was playing a Warrior, so I probably had an easier time. Finished at SL167. lolololol

Not even one boss soul weapon for Sorcerers. NOT ONE. ;)

I remember seeing at least one, actually. There's a Chime you can get by using the soul of the final boss. Though chimes rely on Faith instead of INT. There are a few spells you can get from boss souls, but not a whole lot in the way of staff weapons. XD Yeah, maybe From was trolling Sorcerers this time around.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Dropping Thunderbolts, Empire of the Dead, Batman 66, and Savage Wolverine unless someone has info on why I should stick with any one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom