• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

Woah. Didn't realize Tech Jacket was bumped to an ongoing? Thought it was a mini-series when it was first announced. Never read anything from Keatinge though so I don't know if that's a good thing.

kswiston

It's probably the most important Tony Stark story in about 20 years, so...

Was any of that in the actual event itself, or are you mainly talking about what was going on at the time in Invincible Iron Man? Admittedly, I remember little of Fear Itself since reading it when it was coming out originally, but I just remember Iron Man making magic weapons in Asgard and not much else of significance.

It was pretty hilarious that Marvel reversed all of the book's deaths in like 1-3 months though. They didn't even try to pretend that "Nothing will ever be the same!!!" like they had done with Civil War, Secret Invasion, etc

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Anything that references Tony Stark's alcoholism is really important and super-deep story-telling!

Its not a quick and easy hot button for accelerated easy drama, no sir. Not in my event comics.

Fear Itself was total garbage. I think I only liked the X-Men tie in and that was that.

Anything that references Tony Stark's alcoholism is really important and super-deep story-telling!

Its not a quick and easy hot button for accelerated easy drama, no sir. Not in my event comics.

Fear Itself was total garbage. I think I only liked the X-Men tie in and that was that.

The straw man you're building is not relevant in this instance. Alcoholism can be handled with the obviousness of a common Daily News Headline. Tony's deal with Odin was not one of these times.

Dropping Thunderbolts, Empire of the Dead, Batman 66, and Savage Wolverine unless someone has info on why I should stick with any one of them.

I have nothing. I just dropped Justice League 3000, Phantom Stranger, Pandora, and Constantine off of mine. All replaced by Marvel books.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It's probably the most important Tony Stark story in about 20 years, so...

if the world was a better place Tony Starks fucking up as Shields Director and having to dumb himself down to get rid of the data once osborn took over would be that story. It should of humbled him, and forced him to at the very least second guess himself..... He should be a pariah right now to other heroes, but its like civil war never happened.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The straw man you're building is not relevant in this instance. Alcoholism can be handled with the obviousness of a common Daily News Headline. Tony's deal with Odin was not one of these times.

It was a dumb one note revival of a long since dormant plot point because what else are you going to do with Tony Stark. As a concept sentence, sure, the idea makes you go "OH WOW, THEY REALLY DOING THIS?!". In its actual execution and the rest of that fucking garbage event, it was a blip against a whole wall of white noise. Tony getting fucking blind piss drunk with a bunch of dwarves and building a one-time power-up is not important character development, its some truly dumb shit.

Tony Stark getting carried away with big brother leanings, the stress of trying to run the world through SHIELD and more were far more interesting and important roads the character traveled down compared to a quick and easy shock shlock panel.

Fast forward to current day however and the worst run of Iron Man since Teen Tony! Hurrah!

Wookieomg

Start with number one issues of stuff that sounds interesting to you. New 52 across the board and Marvel NOW branded issues. If there are things you don't understand there's loads of information at your fingertips (wikipedia, comicvine database, etc..) and if stuff still doesn't make sense you can always ask in forums like GAF. IMO the best way to go is to jump in and fill in the blanks as you go.

Thanks! I'll just dive in and see what happens :) I had a friend that was steadily getting me more invested in the DC side of things, and the Crisis event(s) really interested me a lot, but I know those came before the New 52 reboot. :/ And reading the current storylines would relate like.. zero percent to all of those epic culminations of those previous character plotlines, right?

Do you have an ipad? if so, look into Marvel Unlimited, it's the best way financially to read a ton of previous marvel runs and events outside of having a well stocked library.

I'll take a look into that!

CorvoSol

So I'm starting Spider-Island today. Anything I should expect going into this?

And for the sake of my poor soul, when they say "Peter Parker's girlfriend" they're not referring to Felicia or MJ, are they? They're referring to She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

NEO0MJ

Just got my package a few days ago!

13495299883_6abbdb5285_b.jpg

I did not expect the JLA books to be so thick. But what surprised me even more by its size/weight was DC One Million. This is my first omnibus and I had no idea how huge they are. Knowing that it's over a thousand pages is one thing, but holding it is another!
I just finished reading JLA vol 3, I really liked the stories in this run. Gonna start DC One Million tonight.

Pie and Beans

So I'm starting Spider-Island today. Anything I should expect going into this?

And for the sake of my poor soul, when they say "Peter Parker's girlfriend" they're not referring to Felicia or MJ, are they? They're referring to She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

Yes. Its her. The Detective That Falls Into Freshly Dug Graves.

On a relevant note, I also probably dont say enough how much I enjoy the Injustice comics. As someone thats never really been much into DC, its a wildly enjoyable ride. Gordon yelling "BECAUSE I'M A (FUCKING) DETECTIVE" was particularly cathartic, haha.

On a relevant note, I also probably dont say enough how much I enjoy the Injustice comics. As someone thats never really been much into DC, its a wildly enjoyable ride. Gordon yelling "BECAUSE I'M A (FUCKING) DETECTIVE" was particularly cathartic, haha.

I'm going through Injustice at the moment myself. It really is great.

Vibranium

Banned
Yeah Fear itself was horrible, let's pretend it didn't happen.

Anyways, I can't wait until the next Punisher issue, I'm really impatient since I love this series so much haha. My brah Nathan Edmondson is going rock at writing Rachel when she appears in the book (Jake confirmed it, hope it doesn't take as many issues to happen as Bendis does to explain what the hell happened in the Cancerverse), been missing her since Rucka's series was cancelled.

Messi

Same. And you forgot to mention Harper Row. :(

But I'm really excited to see the direction they take this. It's both good and bad that this is a weekly book. Good for storytelling, bad for my wallet. At least it's $2.99 and not $3.99... It would take some massive balls on DC's part to charge $4 for a weekly book.

Eh, I almost gave up a few times, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Though I was playing a Warrior, so I probably had an easier time. Finished at SL167. lolololol

I remember seeing at least one, actually. There's a Chime you can get by using the soul of the final boss. Though chimes rely on Faith instead of INT. There are a few spells you can get from boss souls, but not a whole lot in the way of staff weapons. XD Yeah, maybe From was trolling Sorcerers this time around.

Can't believe I forgot Harper. Feel free to excommunicate me fans of DC women. :( I'll go back to reading my Katana issues.

arkon

Thanks! I'll just dive in and see what happens :) I had a friend that was steadily getting me more invested in the DC side of things, and the Crisis event(s) really interested me a lot, but I know those came before the New 52 reboot. :/ And reading the current storylines would relate like.. zero percent to all of those epic culminations of those previous character plotlines, right?

Well apart from a few instances (like Green Lantern kinda sorta) they threw out previous continuity with the new 52 and started from scratch again. So in most cases these stories don't really connect with the older stories pre-new 52. So you should be fine starting with the number 1 issues in the new 52 books.

Dropping Thunderbolts, Empire of the Dead, Batman 66, and Savage Wolverine unless someone has info on why I should stick with any one of them.

I've been meh on Empire of the Dead after the first issue, but I've been going along with it because somewhere I got the notion that it's only 5 issues? I figured I could stick it out that long to see how it wraps up.

kswiston

Beginning to see how this only cost 4 bucks for the entire story.

I didn't really care for it, but a lot of Comics GAF loved it at the time. If you like Dan Slott's Spider-man, I would imagine that you will like the event.

EDIT: I also didn't read any of the specials. Heard some of those were fun.

CorvoSol

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how to make Comixology make the font in those bubbles big enough to read. Then I'll sink into it and find out how I feel.

Vibranium

Banned
Guided view is your friend...

Hey Eric, is there a button on the Comixology app (Android) that allows you to quickly go back to the first page on your comics? I always have to bring up all of the pages and manually select the first. I like to have my comics all at the start after I have finished them, so I'm just wondering if there's a quick shortcut.

Isak_Borg

Hey Eric, is there a button on Comixology that allows you to quickly go back to the first page on your comics? I always have to bring up all of the pages and manually select the first. I like to have my comics all at the start after I have finished them.

Yes, if you double click the page a menu should drop down and there should be an option to select the page you want to go to.

Vibranium

Banned
Yes, if you double click the page a menu should drop down and there should be an option to select the page you want to go to.

Thanks for the help man, I appreciate it! I know about selecting the pages via the menu, I was wondering if there is a "First page" shortcut button at the end of an issue but I guess there isn't. No big deal I guess!

JJJ mayor is one of my favorite things. With Peter moving on from photography and newspaper not as relevant as to used to be, it keeps JJJ in a position of power and authority that can bug Spider-Man, and his father being married to Aunt May keeps him in contact with Peter Parker.

Course, if SSM is any indication, his reign might be coming to an end.

Vibranium

Banned
Yes. But he is awful in this job. I hope he gets soon again a Newspaper...

...But that would mean that Slott has to go and he wont :(

Honestly, JJJ shouldn't return to newspapers. The character actually needs to evolve even more than Slott has been willing to do with him.

I personally think they should have some arcs where he learns to finally put his Spidey hate past him, and have real development instead of being a joke mayor.

CorvoSol

Wait, isn't Superior Spider-Man the one where Doctor Octopus IS Spider-Man and has been killing villains and beating up Black Cat? Shouldn't all that mean that JJJ was right for a change, since Spidey technically is or at least has the brain of a super villain?

And someone help me out here: What is Mephisto in drag "Carlie-Q"'s job? Is she a cop?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
H-how did JJJ win that election? I mean, dude has been publishing a scandal rag for decades.
Funny thing was that they never told us this.
Spidey was on a Mission with the Fantasic Four in the Macroverse, were a couple of days turned out to be months on earth.

On the end of the issue, they just showed him as the winner of the election.

CorvoSol

JJJ's been NYC's Mayor in Marvel comics for like 4-5 years (our time)

I actually haven't read non-Ultimate Marvel since Morrison killed Jean Grey and forced her to make Scott make love to Emma on top of her grave. And I haven't read Ultimate Marvel since they decided to reveal that Ultimate Cable was Wolverine from the future.

Vibranium

Banned
Woah woah woah woah woah

Hmm? There's been some awesome stories with Jonah and we know why he acts the way he does, but things are still pretty much at the status quo for him. It's not like Peter where they have to be careful.

I know some people would complain, but honestly I think it would be a good move for the character. It won't happen anytime soon given how badly Spock messed up things with them though. Still, I think it's time we saw him redeem himself and finally make amends for all the crap he did in the past.

...Mark Waid for Spider-Man writer.....

Hmm? There's been some awesome stories with Jonah and we know why he acts the way he does, but things are still pretty much at the status quo for him. It's not like Peter where they have to be careful.

I know some people would complain, but honestly I think it would be a good move for the character. It won't happen anytime soon given how badly Spock messed up things with them though.

I honestly don't think there is even very much to him beyond his defining hatred of Spider-Man, is all.

kswiston

I actually haven't read non-Ultimate Marvel since Morrison killed Jean Grey and forced her to make Scott make love to Emma on top of her grave. And I haven't read Ultimate Marvel since they decided to reveal that Ultimate Cable was Wolverine from the future.

I actually thought the Spider-Man books were at their best during the Brand New Day era after the shit fest that was One More Day. Not every BND story was gold, but a ton of cool stories came out of that and if you disliked a specific writer, you knew he would be tagged out by someone else in 1-2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom