• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

I fucking hate dust! I hate when my wife opens the windows to let sunlight in, I notice every little imperfection.

Pixie+Dust+GIF.gif

Messi

How does one go about cleaning statues without destroying them. My dark Knight Joker is looking pretty rough dust wise.

So I'm looking through that thread of funny comic book covers and panels and want some ID on a few, if anybody knows:

I'm guessing the Deadpool is from an old Kelly comic or something, right? So I can probably get it if I start finally collecting those Deadpool classic TPBs. And that Batman one is based off the animated series judging by art style but I honestly did not realize that there were comics for that.

tim1138

So I'm looking through that thread of funny comic book covers and panels and want some ID on a few, if anybody knows:

I'm guessing the Deadpool is from an old Kelly comic or something, right? So I can probably get it if I start finally collecting those Deadpool classic TPBs. And that Batman one is based off the animated series judging by art style but I honestly did not realize that there were comics for that.

Deadpool is from the Daniel Way run, but I don't remember which issue.
The Nova and Drax panel is from Annihilation Nova I believe (it's in the first trade).

Messi

The Batman one looks like it's from Batman Adventures. Yeah they did comics in TAS style. See Mad Love and other stories for a great book.

The first one is from Loki: Agent of Asgard #1 if I'm not wrong.

Owzers

How does one go about cleaning statues without destroying them. My dark Knight Joker is looking pretty rough dust wise.

can of air if the statue is sturdy? my one batman statue has a lot of wrinkles in the cape and dust sets up a home.

The Batman one looks like it's from Batman Adventures. Yeah they did comics in TAS style. See Mad Love and other stories for a great book.

Ooh, nice. Thanks.

Deadpool is from the Daniel Way run, but I don't remember which issue.
The Nova and Drax panel is from Annihilation Nova I believe (it's in the first trade).

The Deadpool/Hawkeye one or the Deadpool/Wolverine one? I assume the Hawkeye/DP one is Way but what about the DP/Wolverine?

And I have that Nova trade on Comixology thanks to a sale a few weeks/months ago but haven't gotten around to reading it. Awesome.

Thanks for the help.

Deadpool/Wolvie is from the Kelly run, #27.

I think nova/drax is from Annihilation or the Nova Annihilation mini since Cammie's still there.

Edit: just checked, it's Annihilation: Nova #2
Edit 2: Deadpool trick arrows isn't the Way run, it's A + X #8

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So does Polaris ever have an exuberant personality or is she more low-key? Starting All New X-Factor and she seems a bit dry. Read an issue of the 2005 X-Factor series and that one seemed to have more character. Gonna pick up some more issues next weekend.

Chinner

Banned
New Punisher is awesome

I hate the new run. Total 360 in character change from Greg Rucka's run so don't go in expecting the same. It's been a bit divisive though, some love it and others hate it.

I love the new Punisher run, but I never read the old stuff so my opinion is probably invalid. If you're in the same boat as me you might like it though.

I am in the same boat and I think it's been really good. But I love loving things so maybe my opinion is suspect.

Same boat, same opinion. :)

Same boat as you. Loving it so far. Going to read previous runs.

The new Punisher run is good. The art and actions is great, and the story is building up nicely and previews seem like there's there's a lot to come. It's a completely different beast to Rucka's Punisher run in 2011, which is also great, but that's why I like it.

8bit

Knows the Score
The new Punisher run is good. The art and actions is great, and the story is building up nicely and previews seem like there's there's a lot to come. It's a completely different beast to Rucka's Punisher run in 2011, which is also great, but that's why I like it.

Have you read Ennis' Punisher/Punisher MAX?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Not yet. People usually rank it highly so it's on the list. Despite that, from what I've seen Steve Dillon's art isn't really clicking with me.

Dillon only does the art on Ennis' non-MAX run. None of the MAX stuff is done by Dillon.
I personally really like Dillon's art and think a lot of the art in MAX was pretty boring (with the exception of Goran Parlov's arc), but opinions and all that. The artists on MAX do mesh well with the serious tone of the writing though.

Edit: Oh. The Long Beach Comic Expo is this weekend. And I have today off work. I wish I would've realized that before today... I may have gone.
Who am I kidding. I probably wouldn't be able to convince myself going into Los Angeles for any reason would be a good idea.

8bit

Knows the Score
Not yet. People usually rank it highly so it's on the list. Despite that, from what I've seen Steve Dillon's art isn't really clicking with me.

Fair point, Dillon is a hard sell on the art for Marvel Knights Punisher (it's good, if comedic and if you can tolerate everyone with the same face in Preacher it's not bad) but the Punisher MAX art isn't by him (until the series is rebooted with Aaron writing).

--

edit, New (Shin) Lone Wolf & Cub this week! Been looking forward to this for years!

Chinner

Banned
I keep getting these things confused. Wasn't there like two series of Punisher Max? One went on for like 70 issues and the other was like 20 issues and had Kingpin as the main villain. Was Steve Dillon only on the reboot launch?

8bit

Knows the Score
I keep getting these things confused. Wasn't there like two series of Punisher Max? One went on for like 70 issues and the other was like 20 issues and had Kingpin as the main villain. Was Steve Dillon only on the reboot launch?

Punisher (Marvel Knights) : Welcome Back Frank was the Ennis & Dillon mini series, resurrecting the character after Marvel made him into an angel or something equally fucking stupid. It's good, and it's quite similar in parts to Ennis' Hitman, see the Spider-Man team up in particular.

Punisher Series 5 follows this, mostly by Ennis & Dillon, also mini series of Barracuda & Born are around this time and it starts to find a more serious groove.

Punisher Max follows this, Ennis without Dillon in a similar tone to Born.

It changes title eventually to Punisher:Frank Castle once Ennis leaves

That ends and it's rebooted as PunisherMAX with Aaron writing & Dillon on art.

Then comes Rucka, IIRC.

Owzers

Lazarus #8 was decently good and now i'm unsure if i made the right choice dropping it...still have #9 on order though. Anyone still reading it?

kswiston

I gave up on Ultimate X-Men around issue 75 (or whenever Kirkman's "Cable" story was).

I liked Millar's run at the time, Bendis' run was ok, and I enjoyed BKV's run. Kirkman was horrible.

I gave up on Ultimate X-Men around issue 75 (or whenever Kirkman's "Cable" story was).

I liked Millar's run at the time, Bendis' run was ok, and I enjoyed BKV's run. Kirkman was horrible.

Nice summary, I gave up around Cable as well. Bendis' run was a bit dull but gets a pass because of Ultimate Dazzler & the mercy killing ish.

frye

So does Polaris ever have an exuberant personality or is she more low-key? Starting All New X-Factor and she seems a bit dry. Read an issue of the 2005 X-Factor series and that one seemed to have more character. Gonna pick up some more issues next weekend.

The best thing Polaris is in is probably the 90's X-Factor series by PAD (...yeah, he had another one)

It's confusing because what people generally refer to as "Punisher MAX" (the 75 issue series primarily written by Garth Ennis) isn't really called Punisher MAX. It's just "The Punisher", under the MAX imprint. The other series people refer to as "Punisher MAX" is the Jason Aaron/Steve Dillon series called PunisherMAX (note the spacing and dumb name), but yeah: two titles.

Dillon was also on the pre-MAX series with Ennis, but that's separate from the two MAX series.

Reminder, today is the last day for votes. I'm working on the OT for June right now and barring extreme distraction or weather-related downtime I'll have it up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Edit: Oh. The Long Beach Comic Expo is this weekend. And I have today off work. I wish I would've realized that before today... I may have gone.
Who am I kidding. I probably wouldn't be able to convince myself going into Los Angeles for any reason would be a good idea.

You probably still could. Tix are like 20 bucks. I considered going but i'm busy this weekend and i might as well wait for the bigger one in September

Messi

Is this the biggest monthly thread so far? I don't remember comics-Gaf hitting 6k before

We have been growing rapidly lately. I won't take any credit obviously.

No but seriously, it's cool. We have a nice community going here, lots of nice people and GrandHarrier. :p

Zombine

Banned
And I love you guys too. Other than my wife, my dad and my coworkers, I talk to your guys the most.

You guys are honestly the only people who I ever talk to about comics. It's amazing to be honest. I would rather enjoy the company of enthusiast than try to talk to others about it. I also get this weird thing where I don't fit in with regulars at the comic book store so I'm kind of ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom