• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Time Runs Out in September

Old news but with a little more detail

1XV33fN.jpg
MfFA47k.jpg

Great, doesnt sound like a reboot.

You could do without, but the normal Justice League issues cement Forever Evil as a landmark event. Only read JLA if you are in need of a father figure.

You can probably cope, but there would definitely be a few moments of "how the hell did that happen" without JL.

It's not as bad as, say, Superman Beyond in Final Crisis was, but I'd probably get both tbh.

Alright, I'll try to pick up the Justice League tie-ins as well.

A great interview with Seeley, King on Grayson:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53116

Knowing now that NW 30 was rushed and still it was better than the previous 29 issues of the run makes me have great faith in the team. Btw, I think they were inspired by Banshee when they did the Bruce vs Richard fight in the bat-cave. I was apprehensive about Mikel Janin on art but the third part of the book was easily the best and I'm really hyped for the book now.

Knowing now that NW 30 was rushed and still it was better than the previous 29 issues of the run makes me have great faith in the team. Btw, I think they were inspired by Banshee when they did the Bruce vs Richard fight in the bat-cave. I was apprehensive about Mikel Janin on art but the third part of the book was easily the best and I'm really hyped for the book now.

Can't wait for this book!

Bii

I love the new Punisher run, but I never read the old stuff so my opinion is probably invalid. If you're in the same boat as me you might like it though.

Same boat, same opinion. :)

Bee and Puppycat #1

14327654833_1b80010b3e_o.jpg

I know nothing about Bee and Puppycat. With that said, I found it surprisingly fun. The art and humor is charming and the personalities of Bee and Puppycat shine throughout, especially Puppycat! The opening page paints a really pretty picture but as the comic moves forward and Bee is in her dream sequences, the backgrounds disappear altogether. There's a lot of white/black space (literally) that could have been filled with something substantial. Aside from that, I love everything else.

14120846390_83e649fc5e_o.jpg

I actually read this comic to my 20-month old son and he seems to like it as well, pointing and letting out a meow every time he sees Puppycat. You know what, I'd actually like to see Bee and Puppycat turned into a children's book/story, if it hasn't been done already.

14327654633_3d3427979a_o.jpg

14120796599_be001d0233_o.jpg

I'm not fond of the backup story by Madeleine Flores. It doesn't seem to cover much of anything new or interesting that the main story already did. It won't stop me from picking up #2, though.

tim1138

I'm the exact opposite, Mikel Janin is the main reason I was interested in the book.

So TFAW put up the iZombie statue that's slated for a November release. Right now, it's $79.99. Should I order now or wait to see what DCBS asks for?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Hey, can anyone recommend other online comic sales portals besides Dark Horse Digital and comixology? I'm looking to expand the roster a bit for digital downloads.

Hey, can anyone recommend other online comic sales portals besides Dark Horse Digital and comixology? I'm looking to expand the roster a bit for digital downloads.

The only thing I can think of is Marvel Unlimited, which is a subscription service with a few limitations - Marvel only, you can only download a dozen books at a time, you don't actually own anything, and new books take at least six months to hit it. But it's a great way to catch up on the cheap if you dig Marvel.

Image sells DRM-free books via their website, too.

Man this looks great.

from article said:
This isn’t some maybe-future; this is the real deal

Heh, Brevoort you sly dog

ReAxion

I just ordered the Wicked + Divine exclusive from DCBS.

bish: Upon checking out they recommended www.mydigitalcomics.com ; never used it tho, but if they're affiliated with DCBS & Instocktrades, they're probably great. Possibly even better at shipping :)

Amazon has a bunch of digital trades, but who knows what's going to happen since they've purchased Comixology.

Kikarian

Really liked Trees. I'm enjoying the story already!

Hanging back on C.O.W.L at the moment. Knowing me, I'll probably just get it tomorrow, though.

Zombine

Banned
I get legit angry anytime my roommate accidently doesn't get the Frison Red Sonja cover.

Those covers are the highlight of her career so far. They are absolutely gorgeous. My
Personal favorite is her cover for The Witching Hour. Her work is stunning!

Edit: So I just noticed that Warren Ellis wrote Vampirella for a while and that got me thinking...what's the deal with that series? Is it even any good or are the sales based on intensified breathing?

Parch

Somebody posted the latest comic sales link in that FF thread and it just makes me cringe looking through it.

- No X-book in the top 10. Oh how the mighty have fallen.
- DC is Batman. No surprise.
- As usual if it isn't DC or Marvel it struggles. Walking Dead only one of significance.
- Serenity Leaves on the Wind is the top selling Dark Horse title? I don't even know WTF this is.
- My Little Pony is the top selling IDW title. Now that's just creepy and disturbing.
- I thought Valiant comics were doing much better.
- The number of quality comics that sell less than 20K is sad.

I don't think I'll ever understand the comic industry.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Somebody posted the latest comic sales link in that FF thread and it just makes me cringe looking through it.

- As usual if it isn't DC or Marvel it struggles. Walking Dead only one of significance.
- Serenity Leaves on the Wind is the top selling Dark Horse title? I don't even know WTF this is.
- My Little Pony is the top selling IDW title. Now that's just creepy and disturbing.

It is a Firefly/Serenity comic.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Marvel and DC did it to themselves, and everyone else has to live with it.

The charts only cover a small part of things, though granted it is monthly sales that keep a book going. It doesn't cover trades (they have their own chart), digital (small, but growing) or bookstores that aren't comic book stores. The market is growing, albeit slowly. We'll never see it go back to the 90s insanity and that's a good thing IMO.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
In fairness, the best thing Captain Britain has done recently is allow a bunch of his students at Braddock Academy to get captured and forced to fight to the death.

fuck that. marvel needs to push a new excalibur book. especially with kurt back

My feeling is that rankings don't really matter...it's more about numbers. If you did over 50,000 you are doing really well regardless of "place." I mean Spider-Man #1 sold like 500,000 copies...that's ridiculous.

I'm also saddened by Loki: Agent of Asgard not doing too well. My only hope is that it is still within expectations and it lasts a nice long run of quality 2.99 comics.

I'm also saddened by Loki: Agent of Asgard not doing too well. My only hope is that it is still within expectations and it lasts a nice long run of quality 2.99 comics.

Axis is going to fuck that book up, which torments me because I love the current Loki book, but a Remender event excites me greatly.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bought the TPB of black science at the LCS and was looking through some of the other recent Image comics TPBs

How are Umbral and Pretty Deadly? Both looked kinda interesting.

Messi

Bought the TPB of black science at the LCS and was looking through some of the other recent Image comics TPBs

How are Umbral and Pretty Deadly? Both looked kinda interesting.

Pretty Deadly is poisioness. I'm sure Rafa will be along soon.

Vibranium

Banned

I'm one of "those" people who honestly wouldn't have a problem with a reboot that only kept major parts of continuity. I am 100% sure that Marvel will have one in the next 20 years, maybe not now but it's going to happen (and older fans will have to leave if they wish to).

Anyways, is Cap getting depowered yet again? It looks to me like the new Captain could be Sam Wilson, which would actually be pretty damn cool! First Bucky, and now Falcon? At least he gets a better costume now.

Deadly Class #5

Is it too much to hope that
Marcus is dead? It's probably too much. All the characters continue to be terrible human beings. At least the one kid acknowledged that fact.

Lovely art and scene flow. I think I enjoy it for that alone.

The My Little Pony comic is....actually really good. I buy it for my eight-year old and read it occasionally just so we can converse about it. The plots actually get pretty intense and intricate, and the vocab they're willing to use is expansive (all this is probably because it's built for bronies, but that's fine with me). She looks forward to every issue. It's been a lot of fun for me too, as I haven't been able to get her into too many other comics (though other favorites include Tiny Titans and The Last Unicorn).

In fairness, the best thing Captain Britain has done recently is allow a bunch of his students at Braddock Academy to get captured and forced to fight to the death.

The Captain Britain book was one of the only good things to come out of Secret Invasion, and he was a badass in the first volume of Secret Avengers! The latter in particular is must-read, Mr. Shards.

arkon

For UK members of ComicsGAF, check out speedyhen for some low prices on DC books. Mostly omnibus and hardcovers, includes pre-orders as well (Doom Patrol £44.40!)

I picked up Planetary omnibus (£23.92!!!!), Invisibles deluxe vol. 1 (£10.80) and Daytripper (£12.17) as well as rounding out the rest of the Hitman run in trades.

credit to Josh at the CBR forums for the tip off. That's where I saw it

No idea what is going on with it or if they'll honour these, but it's worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom