• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2014. I for one welcome our new Amazon overlords.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parch

2000AD is the closest I will ever get to feeling like a teenager from the 70s who pulls out and listens to a Jimmy Hendrix record for the first time. The talent and the progressive thinking and drug induced stories that come out of it make it the last sacred book in comics.
Historic title. Sales must be pretty good on that side of the pond. Unlikely we'll ever see another comic reach 1800+ issues, especially an anthology title.

2 questions. This new fucked up (in a good way apparently) x-force with spiral and puck, is there a paperback yet or it's too new?

And is the run with Deadpool worth getting? That seemed like it came and went real fast

1. Yes, the Uncanny X-Force run by Humphries has three TPBs out right now. I've only read the first issue but I've pretty much only seen negative comments about the run overall honestly, so I'd say go with one volume and see if you like it enough to keep reading beyond that.

2. If you're talking about Remender's run on Uncanny X-Force, then yes. It's an amazing series and definitely worth reading. Just wait for the new paperbacks coming later this year.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Pretty sure my Batman 1 first edition is signed by Capullo and Snyder.

Are you telling me it shouldn't be rotting away in one of my longboxes, shoved in the back of my coat closet, next to my SNES?

ThyMusicMan, you're going down a dark path, man. Please keep us updated.

Just read the first issue of Batman meets Green Hornet on Comixology. This clicked better with me than Batman 66. It's campy but not corny. Only 6 issue mini, I'm in digitally.

2 questions. This new fucked up (in a good way apparently) x-force with spiral and puck, is there a paperback yet or it's too new?

And is the run with Deadpool worth getting? That seemed like it came and went real fast

That's the second volume of Uncanny Avengers by Sam Humphries, that's already ended. The entire series is covered in three paperbacks.

The run with Deadpool is the AMAZING first volume of Uncanny X-Force that is 100% recommendable and available in different formats.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Dude. The fight between
Dick and Bruce
in Nightwing #30 was pretty awesome.
Jedeye told me that
Dick was all over Bruce
and that it was mad sexy. Is this the sexiest fight of the year?

frye

2000AD is the closest I will ever get to feeling like a teenager from the 70s who pulls out and listens to a Jimmy Hendrix record for the first time. The talent and the progressive thinking and drug induced stories that come out of it make it the last sacred book in comics. Every time I open it up I feel like I'm reading something I shouldn't be.

I don't think 2000 AD's ever really been that drug-induced (at least, not any more so than Marvel comics in the 70's) other than when guys like Brendan McCarthy were drawing strips.

It is a ton of fun and none of the recent American attempts to do a weekly series come close. Wacker's thrice-monthly Spider-Man was the best shot tho

"Khonshu, put me to sleep."

MOONKN2014004-int-LR2-4-5e6ca.jpg
Source (CBR)

More Marvel previews (CBR)

Yo comics gaf! I have a couple questions. I started getting back into comics with All New X-men and Uncanny, i'm really enjoying all new as a whole but aside from the art Uncanny isn't really doing it for me. Im at the issue where they mention Magneto's spinoff, does anything interesting at all happen in the later issues? Also, how is the new punisher? I've always wanted to give punisher a try.

New Punisher is awesome

Unai

I just read Grant Morrison's first 4 issues of Animal Man. My godness, what a great read. It does make you thing about things.

If the rest of the run is half as good as these they are going to be incredible.

"Khonshu, put me to sleep."

So good, never noticed Declan Shalvey before this series but now he's an artist to follow.

@ the USM:MM preview, Goddammit Bendis why do you have to play with my emotions.
He'll probably keep Peter around for a few years and at some climax he'll pull out the "Psych I was a clone the whole time." Well you know what, Gwen is too and MJ is some kind of Hairy Goblin beast but for some reason you'll keep that hidden in your closet from New Avengers #26

Needless to say I'm back to reading USM:MM

Bii

Oh man, Deadly Class #5. So good.

I'm right there with you.

Deadly Class #5

14116580087_e31768972d_o.jpg

Wow, so many great moments and 80's references galore! The look and feel of Vegas was astounding. I don't know how the Deadly Class team manages to do it, but if you've ever been to Vegas and you're reading this page after page, you feel like you're there again. In this issue, Marcus is tripping out on acid and his paranoia/hallucinations is getting the better of him. There's disaster at every turn...even when he was contemplating about getting laid! So far, it's my favorite issue and the wait for Deadly Class #6 feels so long.

14303125115_c01eae547d_o.jpg
14116434739_5bd51c64a5_o.jpg

Robotech!

I also found it interesting that some of these events were based on Rick Remender's personal experiences.

14116579837_425e6811c8_o.jpg

DID NO ONE ELSE READ TREES!?!?

My LCS forgot to pull it, I got it yesterday. I thought it was pretty good. I like the concept/story a lot so far. Art was nice too. ill check out the next couple issues.
C.O.W.L was pretty good also.. liked the art on that book. Just don't have the urge that I Have to get the next issue. I need to start TPB waiting more,,,

Tizoc

Nightwing and Starfire being married in the 90s must've been so unremarkable that everyone's forgot it lol.

Mindwipe

Been doing a bit of a re-read of Ultimate Universe comics, and reading bits I've never read before. Ultimate Spider-Man holds up, first comic I ever really read too.

But then I started reading some of Jeph Loeb's contributions. Good god, it sucks. Ultimates 3 is just a such a nothing story, awful writing and characterisation. Don't really like Madureira's art either.

New Ultimates is pretty crap too. Feels equally as inconsequential.

I've never read Ultimatum, been purposefully avoiding it. Is it really as bad as its reputation

Worse. At least Ultimates 3 had the grace to write itself more or less out of it's own continuity existence by the end so it could have just been ignored. Ultimatum essentially breaks the entire universe's suspension of disbelief.

Fintan

Worse. At least Ultimates 3 had the grace to write itself more or less out of it's own continuity existence by the end so it could have just been ignored. Ultimatum essentially breaks the entire universe's suspension of disbelief.
Ha, yeah, I noticed that at the end of New Ultimates most of the characters introduced in Ultimates 3 just leave. They're doing something now to fix the wonky Dr. Doom continuity, right?

Tizoc

Holds up excellently even after all these years
a6_286025_0_ThunderboltsbyWarrenEllisandMi.jpg

Osborn's going psycho over Spiderman are among my fav. highlights of the run

Tizoc

When it comes to Doc Samson, who would you say wrote the character the best? Cuz as is Ellis is the only author I can think of who ever wrote the most interesting and enjoyable to read Doc Samson.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I love the new Punisher run, but I never read the old stuff so my opinion is probably invalid. If you're in the same boat as me you might like it though.

Historic title. Sales must be pretty good on that side of the pond. Unlikely we'll ever see another comic reach 1800+ issues, especially an anthology title.

My brother has been buying 2000 AD since the early 80s. It's still as good today as it ever was. Rebellion have done really well in growing the brand the last few years, they've even brought the Summer Special back. I'd love to see a Strontium Dog movie someday.

Just read the first issue of Batman meets Green Hornet on Comixology. This clicked better with me than Batman 66. It's campy but not corny. Only 6 issue mini, I'm in digitally.

I enjoyed the first issue, not sure if I'll stick with it.

So C.O.W.L. a little too flat and at the same time too busy to really grab me. I think all the comparisons its getting (Mad Men meets…whatever?) are pretty surface and lazy. None of the characs have any kind of life at all.

Compare that to the incredible Trees #1, which manages to make me interested in everyone introduced on the page.

Also, everyone should get on that Parker sale on CMX.

Filthy Slug

So C.O.W.L. a little too flat and at the same time too busy to really grab me. I think all the comparisons its getting (Mad Men meets…whatever?) are pretty surface and lazy. None of the characs have any kind of life at all.

Compare that to the incredible Trees #1, which manages to make me interested in everyone introduced on the page.

Also, everyone should get on that Parker sale on CMX.

I think Higgins is just a weak writer. He's not inept by any means, but I can't name a single work he's done that is exceptional or even memorable.

I picked up COWL but haven't read it yet, so I'll reserve judgement on that book.

Messi

I love the new Punisher run, but I never read the old stuff so my opinion is probably invalid. If you're in the same boat as me you might like it though.

I am in the same boat and I think it's been really good. But I love loving things so maybe my opinion is suspect.

Mindwipe

Should I be okay with just reading the main Forever Evil issues without the Justice League tie-ins?

You can probably cope, but there would definitely be a few moments of "how the hell did that happen" without JL.

It's not as bad as, say, Superman Beyond in Final Crisis was, but I'd probably get both tbh.

clem84

Gold Member
The latest X-men movie made me want to read comics again. I use to read them when I was younger (late 90s). I was reading X titles exclusively. The last storyline I remember reading was the Bastion storyline. I'm a little late as you can see. I'm considering picking up where I left off.

What comics should I concentrate on to get most of the story? Back then there was X-men and Uncanny X-men every month. I always viewed those as being the main X-men comics. Should I concentrate on those?

The latest X-men movie made me want to read comics again. I use to read them when I was younger (late 90s). I was reading X titles exclusively. The last storyline I remember reading was the Bastion storyline. I'm a little late as you can see. I'm considering picking up where I left off.

What comics should I concentrate on to get most of the story? Back then there was X-men and Uncanny X-men every month. I always viewed those as being the main X-men comics. Should I concentrate on those?

Skip the last few years of the 90s and just go straight to Grant Morrison's New X-Men. Then follow that up with Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men.

For more recent stuff, you can start at X-Men: Schism which sets the current status quo, and go from there.

Parch

I don't think 2000 AD's ever really been that drug-induced
That kinda surprised me too, but I haven't seen a lot of issues. I always thought it was typical to the euro style of comics. A lot of sci-fi type stuff and their style of heroes. I'd actually like to try more euro sci-fi. There's some really great looking stuff out there.

2000 AD better have something really special planned for the 2000th issue. That's a phenomenal landmark for a comic.

That kinda surprised me too, but I haven't seen a lot of issues. I always thought it was typical to the euro style of comics. A lot of sci-fi type stuff and their style of heroes. I'd actually like to try more euro sci-fi. There's some really great looking stuff out there.

2000 AD better have something really special planned for the 2000th issue. That's a phenomenal landmark for a comic.

They might kill off Dredd, they've been cutting down his supporting cast for awhile now. Dude is nearly 80 in the books and Mega-City One has been through a lot of huge disasters recently (as in, more than usual).

Parch

They might kill off Dredd
That would do it. First thing I think of with 2000AD is Judge Dredd, so doing something big with him would make sense.

IDW currently has a Judge Dredd ongoing and they did a Year One mini. I've actually been curious how good this title is. Not sure how they're sharing the rights for this character and if IDW would have a problem with killing him off. The 2000th issue is still a ways off so perhaps the IDW rights would run out by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom