• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| May 2016. Let's Do It. Let's Fall in Love.

Kind of getting tired or reading Tom King interviews with him constantly being asked about CIA stuff. We get it he worked for the CIA...

And that somehow invalidates the opinions of the people who did?

You are making a sweeping generalization about a show you haven't seen based on secondhand word from people you know. Yes, it invalidates your sweeping generalization, since you have zero knowledge on the topic. You can't provide valid critique of something if you've literally never experienced it and expect us to take your critique seriously. We can all read online reviews.

Kind of getting tired or reading Tom King interviews with him constantly being asked about CIA stuff. We get it he worked for the CIA...

I've worked in the intel field for 12 years and counting. I sit five feet away from a very senior CIA officer with an extensive past working for their DO as a field agent. He's made it very clear that people who talk a lot about their time in the Agency or go on TV as talking heads either: 1) had limited access to anything of substance, or 2) grossly exaggerate their experiences.

I find the whole "King was in the CIA" thing to be hilarious. He worked as an analyst, meaning he read through large quantities of raw and validated reports and likely briefed their content to senior leadership. I have no clue how long he was with the Agency, but it sounds like a very short stint, likely as a prospective intern.

Tom King is a great writer. He doesn't need to bolster his resume or shoehorn in past experiences as a measure of adding to his credibility. The CIA background contributing to Batman stories angle is very cringe-worthy, especially when he play acts like he's not supposed to discuss his experiences there.

You are making a sweeping generalization about a show you haven't seen based on secondhand word from people you know. Yes, it invalidates your sweeping generalization, since you have zero knowledge on the topic.

I've worked in the intel field for 12 years and counting. I sit five feet away from a very senior CIA officer with an extensive past working for their DO as a field agent. He's made it very clear that people who talk a lot about their time in the Agency or go on TV as talking heads either: 1) had limited access to anything of substance, or 2) grossly exaggerate their experiences.

I find the whole "King was in the CIA" thing to be hilarious. He worked as an analyst, meaning he read through large quantities of raw and validated reports and likely briefed their content to senior leadership. I have no clue how long he was with the Agency, but it sounds like a very short stint, likely as a prospective intern.

Tom King is a great writer. He doesn't need to bolster his resume or shoehorn in past experiences as a measure of adding to his credibility. The CIA background contributing to Batman stories angle is very cringe-worthy, especially when he play acts like he's not supposed to discuss his experiences there.

That's my thing though, I feel like he's not actually the one bringing it up. The most recent interview from Newsarama is an example how the guy can almost say nothing without the interviewer comparing it to his work at the CIA just to change the subject to that. It's like the interviewer can't wait to just get to that topic like they're going to have some new way to ask about it or something.

That's my thing though, I feel like he's not actually the one bringing it up. The most recent interview from Newsrama is an example how the guy can almost say nothing without the interviewer comparing it to his work at the CIA just to change the subject to that. It's like the interviewer can't wait to just get to that topic like they're going to have some new way to ask about it or something.

Dude straight up FORCED it into the conversation during the big Rebirth reveal stuff. It was incredibly awkward. Something to the effect of, "A lot of people don't know this about meeeeee...but I used to work for the CIA!" And then DiDio did his usual "WOW THIS IS SO YUGE, ARE YOU EVEN ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT THIS IN PUBLIC?!?" shtick and here we are. DC gonna DC.

Admittedly, I'm not up to date on all the interviews that King does, but I imagine most of the CIA talk is recent and came as a result of the Rebirth reveal.

Messi

You are making a sweeping generalization about a show you haven't seen based on secondhand word from people you know. Yes, it invalidates your sweeping generalization, since you have zero knowledge on the topic. You can't provide valid critique of something if you've literally never experienced it and expect us to take your critique seriously. We can all read online reviews.

Yeah but is sounds cool as shit when you say you work for the CIA.

I first heard the CIA bit during his Grayson run.

Hahaha. I'm so sad this show will very likely not continue past this season. The humor style is just spot on for me.

Do you listen to Hollywood Handbook? Two of the writers on the show do it. It's hilarious in a very similar spirit. (Nothing to do with the actual show though).

And yeah, things don't look good for it. It's so fucking genius though. When they put a focus group in the office, I fell out of my chair.

Yeah but is sounds cool as shit when you say you work for the CIA.

I first heard the CIA bit during his Grayson run.

That is correct. I mean, I get it. The mystique is there. My wife knows that 95% of what I do is boring shit, but people's mind always gravitate towards covert ops and espionage when I tell them I work in the IC. What we actually do versus what people imagine couldn't be further from the truth. I only know a handful of people in the community out there doing stuff that would place them firmly in the "badass" category.

The Grayson stuff kind of confirms my suspicion, though. He's milking it for credibility, which is pretty much the opposite anyone involved in anything of significance would do. Hell, most of my career outside of specific times in Iraq and Afghanistan has been filled with monotony, and I still don't discuss specifics with my wife and family.

King pushing his CIA background always rubs me the wrong way a little although its probably his agent/publisher pushing it

Hey kids! Want to get the *real deal* account of what it was like in Iraq? Read this CIA approved comic to find out!

how do you know that without even watching it
on a scale of Alan Moore to Mark Millar how does GoT treat rape

I maintain writers should have to work at a rape crisis center in some capacity before writing about it because writers, in general, have given zero to none confidence that they can write rape scenes well.

VanWinkle

Do you listen to Hollywood Handbook? Two of the writers on the show do it. It's hilarious in a very similar spirit. (Nothing to do with the actual show though).

And yeah, things don't look good for it. It's so fucking genius though. When they put a focus group in the office, I fell out of my chair.

Haven't heard of it but I will check it out!

Messi

That is correct. I mean, I get it. The mystique is there. My wife knows that 95% of what I do is boring shit, but people's mind always gravitate towards covert ops and espionage when I tell them I work in the IC. What we actually do versus what people imagine couldn't be further from the truth. I only know a handful of people in the community out there doing stuff that would place them firmly in the "badass" category.

I do admit when I heard him talking about it on a podcast I thought...man that sounds super badass. Even though he was just talking about the kinds of things you were saying about briefings. I guess I just don't know what most of the CIA do and movies and tv have given us this false impression.

Hey guys, did you know Tom King worked for the CIA?

Thank god I barely give a shit about GOT. It's obsession with rape is pretty dire, from what friends have told me.

Historical middle ages weren't much better, m8. I'd say it's a fairly accurate representation in that respect.

Because I've talked to others (including people with rape experiences) about it? Because I've read and seen videos of others critiquing it?

Not really the same as first-hand knowledge. If you're just curious to see how the show treats rape, sure. But if you're using those to add to a discussion, you can pretty much only parrot what you've read of other people's opinions.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's a popular book and I think Gillen enjoys writing it, so I don't think it'll be ending completely.
How long is the book now happening? 1 1/2 years right?

I would like if he finishes the second year and does then two years of Empire Strikes Back and then jumps between the times.
Would love to know what happened to Vader shortly after the Clone Wars and so on.

Same with the main book, want to see how Luke trains more with Yoda.

I do admit when I heard him talking about it on a podcast I thought...man that sounds super badass. Even though he was just talking about the kinds of things you were saying about briefings. I guess I just don't know what most of the CIA do and movies and tv have given us this false impression.

The CIA's breakdown between analysis and ops/espionage is heavily weighted toward the former. You have folks out there on the ground working human intelligence and collection, but even that stuff isn't covert. Most of them are attached at embassies around the world and it's very common knowledge among the host nations who they work for. I worked with two gentlemen in Afghanistan who, I shit you not, went by the names "Mr. Washington" and "Mr. Philadelphia." Everyone's first name is BIll or Bob or Joe. Fuck off with that nonsense, you aren't fooling anyone.

The actual bad ass guys and girls who spend significant time training down at the Farm and then go out on covert stuff is a fraction of the total workforce. The exact number is classified, but it's minuscule.

The biggest misconception is that CIA folks are out there behind enemy lines doing crazy shit. Their tip of the spear folks are at embassies meeting with local nationals and business people and developing contacts. Lots of socializing and wine-and-dines. If kids want to do insane shit behind enemy lines, they should join the Navy and try to become a Seal, or go Army, finish Ranger school, and try to become a Green Beret. We intel weenies spend most of our time collecting, reviewing, and analyzing info.

How long is the book now happening? 1 1/2 years right?

I would like if he finishes the second year and does then two years of Empire Strikes Back and then jumps between the times.
Would love to know what happened to Vader shortly after the Clone Wars and so on.

Same with the main book, want to see how Luke trains more with Yoda.

Considering the time-frame Darth Vader takes place in, I would say there has to be a limit to how much story they can cram in there.

VanWinkle

I cannot GET OVER how good Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus is. It's some of the best stuff I've ever read.

One thing I'm really liking is that, despite multiple artists drawing, the same colorist has been used the whole time. It creates a more coherent look despite having the multiple artists. I thought that was really cool. I mean, it may not be the case forever (I'm only halfway through the first omnibus), but I think it was a really good idea.

I cannot GET OVER how good Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus is. It's some of the best stuff I've ever read.

How far in are you? Because I think the Sinestro War was the high point of the series. I think about after the Agent Orange story arc I got to the point where I was like "all right, enough already."

game of thrones, noted accurate take on the historical middle ages

Especially the white walkers and the dire wolves.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Considering the time-frame Darth Vader takes place in, I would say there has to be a limit to how much story they can cram in there.
Three years, the stuff that happened until no feel more like a couple of days or maybe 2, 3 weeks, which is also my main problem with the book.

Three years, the stuff that happened until no feel more like a couple of days or maybe 2, 3 weeks, which is also my main problem with the book.

The old expanded universe novels took up so much of the time frame they probably had it down to Luke did the things in this novel on Tuesday, and the things in this novel on Friday. Disney had to box it up and put it away. There was simply no space left for them to do their own stories.

VanWinkle

How far in are you? Because I think the Sinestro War was the high point of the series. I think about after the Agent Orange story arc I got to the point where I was like "all right, enough already."

I just got to a new arc called Revenge of the Green Lanterns. I think Sinestro Corps War is near the end of this volume. I'm really looking forward to that.

One thing I'm really liking is that, despite multiple artists drawing, the same colorist has been used the whole time. It creates a more coherent look despite having the multiple artists. I thought that was really cool. I mean, it may not be the case forever (I'm only halfway through the first omnibus), but I think it was a really good idea.

The color work on that series is fucking exceptional. Moose Baumann if I remember correctly?

The Squirrel Girl x Howard the Duck crossover was good. I don't regret dropping Howard though.

Onto the new Squirrel Girl! Been looking forward to this.

Nudull

Banned
Not really the same as first-hand knowledge. If you're just curious to see how the show treats rape, sure. But if you're using those to add to a discussion, you can pretty much only parrot what you've read of other people's opinions.

Well, of course. I was just voicing my own conclusion about whether or not I wanted to get that close to GOT based on what I've seen and heard of it, but everyone decided to take it as a personal attack on them instead.

The Grayson stuff kind of confirms my suspicion, though. He's milking it for credibility, which is pretty much the opposite anyone involved in anything of significance would do. Hell, most of my career outside of specific times in Iraq and Afghanistan has been filled with monotony, and I still don't discuss specifics with my wife and family.

Well sure, anyone that has ever thought about it, never mind looked into it at all, will realize that intel work tends to be extremely tedious and mundane. Data you trudge through looking for anything that might be useful or important in some way. And it turns out most data created are boring and dull, be it reports, communications, observations, or whatever.

TheFlow

Banned
This is going to be lit looks like Sunshine and roses is going to be a long series. I gotta catch up

Summary of the new series STRAY BULLETS CONTINUES WITH THE BEGINNING OF A BRAND-NEW ARC OF STORIES! SUNSHINE AND ROSES is about violence, love, and really bad decisions. The Baltimore underworld is falling apart at the seams and blood has been spilt. Where and when things went to hell in a handbasket can be traced back to a time a few years earlier, when a man named Harry ran the city, Spanish Scott and Monster enforced the rules, and an insecure young man named Orson met a wild and crazy girl named Beth. The two together cooked up the boldest, most outlandish, and just about the stupidest plan ever devised-a plan to steal a whole lot of Harry's money and drugs and get a little revenge along the way. While every issue of STRAY BULLETS presents a complete story, the start of each new arc is the perfect place to jump on board and see what everybody else is talking about.
345811._SX640_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Top Bottom