• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
OK guys, confession time... I buy all of my girly-hijinx books online so I don't get made fun of by my friends when I go pick up my weekly floppies.

Okay, that's pretty hilarious.
But also completely understandable. I would probably do the same if I was into the girly-hijinx books/bought floppies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Little kid Hellboy is the best part of the 1940s BPRD comics.

IyBIf5D.png

He should have his own series.

So Saga #24, best issue or greatest issue?

Marko's EX wearing The Will's cloak and using his weapon was awesome.

Owzers

OK guys, confession time... I buy all of my girly-hijinx books online so I don't get made fun of by my friends when I go pick up my weekly floppies.

Walk up to the counter and tell them you are here for girly hijinx and you will not leave empty handed.

Messi

Okay, that's pretty hilarious.
But also completely understandable. I would probably do the same if I was into the girly-hijinx books/bought floppies.

Kipp, why wont you let me and the girly hijinks in? Are you still angry that you didn't get picked for #TeamSirens? Cheska and Freeza just wanted it more :(

Edit: Nearly clicked that Saga spoiler on instinct. phew.

So Saga #24, best issue or greatest issue?

I rather liked they
skipped the whole confrontation with the male leads/put our differences aside scene to catch up on the other characters we haven't seen in awhile. Should give both casts a good direction plot-wise once it comes back in February

Kipp

Kipp, why wont you let me and the girly hijinks in? Are you still angry that you didn't get picked for #TeamSirens? Cheska and Freeza just wanted it more :(

Edit: Nearly clicked that Saga spoiler on instinct. phew.

Dunno. I like fun books, but the girly hijinks books just don't click with me. Nonetheless, I'd happily accept being admitted as an honorary member to #TeamSirens.

I did click that Saga spoiler on instinct. Haha. I don't like knowing that someone is trying to hide something from me.
Luckily I don't keep up with Saga so nothing got spoiled. Though I do plan to read it eventually.

Buy your son this for Christmas.
He made his 90s comics bed, he'll lie in it.

nooo

Ha! I think I only buy girly hijinx books at the moment, does Grayson count?

That just means you're a better fan than I am.

should make a picture of Ripley asking for a free Marvel code when she's telling 85 she needs that fucking code

Zombine

Banned

Fauxtrot, Messi and I are gigantic dudes and we both proudly wave our lady book flags. I just don't give a fuck lol

should make a picture of Ripley asking for a free Marvel code when she's telling 85 she needs that fucking code

That movie has some awesome moments though. It's not "bad" it's just the weakest of the 3 movies.

Boogiepop

Am I missing out by never having seen a single clip of Bob's Burgers?

I'd vote yes. I was expecting some serious garbage from it before it started off the ads, partially based off Fox picking up a lot of absolute trash animation-wise (like that terrible, terrible Napoleon Dynamite show), but it ended up amazing, just a really great show. Still need to watch a ton of it, though, myself!

Messi

I regularly wear Harley Quinn T-shirts. I just don't give a fuck. Seriously. If someone wants to judge me for enjoying my hobby then fuck them. Its not someone I want to know.

Grayson #3 was some straight up fire. Damn. Best issue so far.

Kipp

So I just finished reading Ms. Marvel #1.
I was expecting it to be "Jokes Containing Pop Culture References: The Comic" based on the few pages of previews I read and because of that have been consistently confused by the hype it always gets.
But oh my goodness. The writing was wonderful and the art was incredible and I'm 100% in for the OHC. What a fantastic comic.

So thanks for that digital code, Busaiku!

Also, Messi, does that count as girly hijinks?

Any impressions on Bob's Burgers #3?
I just noticed that the first two issues dropped to $1.99 already... So tempted, but I must hold out for the TPB.

Also, the cover for #3 is just amazing.

The struggles of communicating via text.
My signature deadpan humor is also worthless online.
See, look at that shit art. We can do this brah!

fauxtrot

Banned
Fauxtrot, Messi and I are gigantic dudes and we both proudly wave our lady book flags. I just don't give a fuck lol

It would be pretty funny if I added all those books to my pull list... that would mean most weeks I'd show up to the shop on my Harley with my leather jacket on and ride away with a big bag of girly hijinks.

I was expecting it to be "Jokes Containing Pop Culture References: The Comic" based on the few pages of previews I read and because of that have been consistently confused by the hype it always gets.
But oh my goodness. The writing was wonderful and the art was incredible and I'm 100% in for the OHC. What a fantastic comic.

Ms. Marvel is probably my favorite overall title at the moment... it's just so good.

Zombine

Banned
It would be pretty funny if I added all those books to my pull list... that would mean most weeks I'd show up to the shop on my Harley with my leather jacket on and ride away with a big bag of girly hijinks.

Please grow a mustache before you buy them for good measure.

Boogiepop

If I picked up floppies I would not give a damn. Back when I was first picking up manga and had no idea how to properly save money, I went to Barnes and Noble, and I had no problem picking up Shojo stuff whatsoever and handing it to the cashier.

Actually, that reminds me: what's the most you've ever fallen out of love with a single run on a comic? That is, the most you've felt increasingly disappointed with where a run has gone, and also no changes in author because that's kind of easy and obvious why it happens. Came to mind because Vampire Knight was one of the first manga series I started picking up. I absolutely loved it at the beginning, and then around halfway through it became something I found dreadful. It just ended and I'd say it had at least a tiny upswing at the tail end, but it's weird to think how it went from something I found fantastic to something I think is pretty garbage. Plus it's just weird how that series almost borderlines my manga reading experience right now as it was just starting when I started (at least I think) and only just finished. Also curious to reread that sometime and see how much of it was my changing tastes versus the quality actually falling off a cliff.

Oh, and on the original thing I was saying: when I was at my local comic con, my friend was talking to the guy running the stand, and I chimed in to ask if he had any Transformers since I was looking to grab it. And then he's like "I don't know man, to be honest all the Transformers stuff is garbage so I don't really care." So I was just kind of like "yeah, but I heard the IDW stuff has been real solid recently." The fun part of all this being he was going on about how Future's End was great and it was DC's big thing, but nobody cares about Batman Eternal.

Kipp

But somehow it just seems so right.

The best part about it would be showing up to your shop and having to tell the guy you want to add this big list of girly hijinks books to your pull, seemingly out of nowhere.

Messi

Just about bro. just about. Like Elektra does not count and stuff like that, but I feel like Ms Marvel gets into enough hijinks to qualify. Ms Marvel too.

Ms. Marvel is probably my favorite overall title at the moment... it's just so good.

Aint nothing wrong with a man riding off with a bag of girly hijinks.

fauxtrot

Banned
Please grow a mustache before you buy them for good measure.

Yeah, I have a massive beard... it goes down to the collar of my t-shirt. I could be an extra on Game of Thrones
(or Bum Fights)

But somehow it just seems so right.

The best part about it would be showing up to your shop and having to tell the guy you want to add this big list of girly hijinks books to your pull, seemingly out of nowhere.

If he gives me a funny look, I'll just stare through him and say, "I learned something new about myself."

Kipp

Actually, that reminds me: what's the most you've ever fallen out of love with a single run on a comic? That is, the most you've felt increasingly disappointed with where a run has gone, and also no changes in author because that's kind of easy and obvious why it happens.

Elephantmen. I picked up the first volume, and I knew it was a fairly mediocre comic then, but I enjoyed it enough anyways to pick up volume two. The first few issues of volume two were a real joy to read and I was really digging it, but then it fell so flat and I was just done.
So to be fair, it was never a great comic and I never loved it exactly, but I did enjoy reading it. And then I didn't.

If he gives me a funny look, I'll just stare through him and say, "I learned something new about myself."

Hahaha

Messi

I dropped in my votes for book of the month and one of the books I thought would make it in was ousted at the last moment. I am comfortable saying Batgirl didn't make it. This month is killer for book of the month. It was such a great month for lots of books.

They weren't all girly books this month either.

fauxtrot

Banned
Actually, that reminds me: what's the most you've ever fallen out of love with a single run on a comic? That is, the most you've felt increasingly disappointed with where a run has gone, and also no changes in author because that's kind of easy and obvious why it happens.

Fables. All the way through the Adversary arc, it was my favorite comic at the time and had gotten me back into reading them weekly again. Those first 70ish issues contain some of my favorite stories, but something changed and I just couldn't care less about the series anymore. So sad... I know it's ending soon, but I would rather pretend like it ended 5 or 6 years ago rather than try to enjoy the upcoming finale. :(

At the end of the second arc of when Miles takes over Ultimate Spider-Man, it becomes very clear that Miles would never get out from Peter Parker's shadow. That the book would just be about him comparing himself constantly with "what would Peter Parker do?" Then Aunt May and the rest force themselves into the comic telling Miles what to do. They can't even let him grow into his own character. Every issue after that is pretty much some character telling him what to do, what being Spider-Man is about, piling these responsibilities on him and Miles just nods in agreement. Does Miles have an opinion? Cause all he does is question himself.

I like Miles and picking up that first issue of him taking over was pretty exciting, but I feel like Bendis is walking on eggshells with the character, like if Miles acts out he will get called on it or something. I picked it back up because of the 200th issue reveal at the end, Peter is back on or so it seems and maybe Miles can open up a bit more with his character get emotional or something.

Or y'know it all ends Summer 2015.

frye

tumblr_nd5jnaub1o1tl89jlo1_500.jpg

why aren't you dummies reading TRANSFORMERS VS. GI JOE

GUN MAKER

LIFE TAKER

DREAM BREAKER

EARTH SHAKER

MONEY MAKER

Everybody needs to read the Deadpool death of wolverine tie in. Duggan continues to nail the character, and steve and wade's banter is great.

Also (ending spoilers)
deadpool deciding that he might clone wolverine is a really big change for the character, I wonder where it's gonna go

Cheska

Saga was fantastic guys! I can't express enough how much I love this series. AND BKV is coming to San Francisco on November 22nd. Definitely going to try and see if I can make it out there in time. I wish I had the first issue of Saga to get him to sign, but maybe I'll bring the hardcover, Y's The Last Man Deluxe, Runaways, and Pride of Bagdad.

In other news, the ending of the Azzarello/Chang Wonder Woman was okay. The actual issue was good, but kind of sad that this is the direction they chose to go with.

Boogiepop

Fables. All the way through the Adversary arc, it was my favorite comic at the time and had gotten me back into reading them weekly again. Those first 70ish issues contain some of my favorite stories, but something changed and I just couldn't care less about the series anymore. So sad... I know it's ending soon, but I would rather pretend like it ended 5 or 6 years ago rather than try to enjoy the upcoming finale. :(

This reminds me that I've never read Fables. I'm assuming it's still worth grabbing up till the point it drops off?

Also, while I'm remembering things: has anyone on here read much Exiles? I actually own the first trade, and found it just kind of so-so, but I'm still interested in it and was wondering if it's at all worth picking up.

And to add onto things I own and should consider grabbing more of maybe: Powers. Have the first hardcover and remember enjoying it a good bit, but never got around to grabbing more. Is the rest worth looking into?

Transformers vs GI Joe would probably stand a good chance for my top 5 comics of the month if I actually voted/cared about that. Its like a bunch of Wally Wood action figures getting it on

TransPanelB_zps626d2bf6.jpg~original

As for comic runs I fell out of love with, we already talked about Shade the Changing Man's post issue #50 "Milligan pls" status. Other contenders

-Brubaker's Captain America run, basically post-Death of Captain America. Starting treading water, reusing old ideas(ANOTHER ENEMY FROM CAP'S PAST), and the Steve Rogers as Cap era was just bad. Brubaker straight ahead superhero work is Birdie tier.

-Waid's Flash, started off really great, climaxes in the fantastic "The Return of Barry Allen", but then he just kept going. For YEARS! Trying to one-up himself with Time Travel, Barry's evil twin Cobalt Blue, more time travel, sappy "love conquors all" conclusions like three time, Abra Kadabra showing up every six months, Speed Ninjas, etc. Shit went nowhere real fast, and then he came back years later and it wasn't any good, either.

-Remender's Uncanny X-Force post #19 aint SHIT.

-Planetary was cool when it was like "man genre fiction brehs", but once it started having an actual plot and "superheroes ruined everything, fuck the Fantastic Four" thing, meeeeeeeeeh. The last 3 issues are softer than Dwight Howard.

-Byrne Fantastic Four last year on the book was actively terrible I think, and then he left mid-story for typically John Byrne reasons that escape me.

-Can't even lie, Stray Bullets #31-41? Clearly not on the same calibur as the first 30 issues. Not that its actively BAD or anything, but it went from being the best genre comic on the stand to anothe genre comic on the stands. Luckily, Killers has helped it reclaimed its rightful position at the top of the food chain once again.

-I really liked those early, 12 issues of Promethea, but once they got to the Godhead and Alan Moore was like, "eh let me tell you about my philosophy and religion and magic my nigga", nah man, miss me with all that shit.

OH GOD i forgot about colbalt blue.

Run i fell out of was bendis avengers. the first volium of new avengers was some top tier stuff. seconf volume has a cool Dr. strange story but then the quality fell of hard after.

same with the main avengrs book. you got Fucking chris bachalo drawing talking heads. redoing dark regin.

really felt like he ran out of ideas

frye

-Brubaker's Captain America run, basically post-Death of Captain America. Starting treading water, reusing old ideas(ANOTHER ENEMY FROM CAP'S PAST), and the Steve Rogers as Cap era was just bad. Brubaker straight ahead superhero work is Birdie tier.

-Remender's Uncanny X-Force post #19 aint SHIT.

I actually think the second half of the original run is actually much stronger than the first. 26-50 is a really consistently good run of comics. Where Brubaker Cap falls apart for me is after Reborn, which... ughhh

He redeems himself (or at least, Butch Guice and Bettie Breitweiser redeem him) in Winter Soldier though, which was one of my favourite things coming out at the time.

Agreed with post-19 UXF. The less said about Otherworld the better but Final Execution was somehow both overlong and overstuffed (because of the relaunch it turns out, but w/e). Remender even did a DoFP thing in the middle of it which in hindsight is hilarious. I thought the first issue of Axis was okay, but after 2 and 3 I suspect it's gonna have a lot of the same problems as Final Execution did.

Kinda related but in terms of reverse disappointment, Morrison Batman is a really hit and miss comic (largely depending on who's drawing) until Burnham comes on board for me

Zombine

Banned
Saga is up there with me with comic runs that tapered off. Just a whole lotta nothing and sorry excuses for world building.

I feel like the book has picked up as of late, but the world building is fucking awful. The universe that this book exists in is like the worst of the Star Wars EU, without the foundation that lead us to those shitty stories.

It's pretty easy to make an alien race in Saga. Just throw some shit together and don't explain it.

MG310

Somehow missed this solicit...have to pick up this issue of Sensation Comics. I was wondering what he was working on when he was tweeting about drawing Apokolips.

SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #5
Written by CORINNA BECHKO and GABRIEL HARDMAN
Art by GABRIEL HARDMAN
Cover by LAWRENCE REYNOLDS
On sale DECEMBER 17 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST
Wonder Woman has accepted a covert mission from Queen Hippolyta: infiltrate Apokolips, find a group of Amazons imprisoned there by Darkseid, and bring them home alive. But a battle with the Female Furies almost proves fatal and throws Diana’s plans into chaos!

Fables first 75 issues were amazing but I seriously had little interest in continuing the story after the Adversary arc. To keep a run that good for 75 issues is super impressive though

Nudull

Banned
Transformers vs GI Joe would've been better if it wasn't already a dead horse of a crossover (granted it was Dreamwave, but still) with nothing much to show that's new.

I actually think the second half of the original run is actually much stronger than the first. 26-50 is a really consistently good run of comics. Where Brubaker Cap falls apart for me is after Reborn, which... ughhh

He redeems himself (or at least, Butch Guice and Bettie Breitweiser redeem him) in Winter Soldier though, which was one of my favourite things coming out at the time.

Agreed with post-19 UXF. The less said about Otherworld the better but Final Execution was somehow both overlong and overstuffed (because of the relaunch it turns out, but w/e). Remender even did a DoFP thing in the middle of it which in hindsight is hilarious. I thought the first issue of Axis was okay, but after 2 and 3 I suspect it's gonna have a lot of the same problems as Final Execution did.

Kinda related but in terms of reverse disappointment, Morrison Batman is a really hit and miss comic (largely depending on who's drawing) until Burnham comes on board for me

When I said "post death of Captain America", I mean after #25-50, lol. That was basically one big Omnibus, "The Death of Captain America", I still have that one. It was one of the most exciting books on the stands back then, but after Reborn...meh

Winter Soldier is hot, tho

I really like final execution but the lead up to it was pretty bad detour.

geoff johns green lantern fell off after blackest night

I think the problem with Geoff Johns Green Lantern was Sinstero Corps was TOO good, too popular, so when Blackest Night rolled around DC was like "eh let me in on that one", so it wasn't so much a GL event as it was this big dumb DC event, and it didn't do its high concept(SPACE ZOMBIES) much good being spread out like that.

Doug Mahnke was fire, tho, and he stayed godlike no matter how dumb the comic he was drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom