• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SouthernBastards_05-1.png

Southern Bastards #5

First, I need to post this:

FRIbQPA.gif

HERE WASN'T A MAN. You fucker. Don't even.

We shift the focus from Earl to Coach Boss in this issue. Latour's art and the colors in this issue are fantastic. Boss' depiction is so creepily onpoint. He looks like his face and body is held together be sheer rage alone. This issue splits between flashbacks showing Boss in his teen years and Boss now, and you can see how the man today could have been made that way.

And wow, this issue... how do I go about talking about it...
Coach Boss goes to Earl's funeral after executing him and then places the murder stick in a place where everyone can see it at the end of the issue.

It's fascinating to see Boss in the aftermath of Issue 4. I absolutely love how
even though he murdered Earl, he despises the town people for just letting it happen and not owning up to their cowardice because of their shame. He puts that stick up there to remind them.
It's twisted but it makes so much sense, and surprisingly... I found myself agreeing with fucking COACH BOSS.

Jesus. How is this not a television show on HBO that would win millions of Emmys?

Another bit of interest: There's a quick montage of different groups of people. I'm sure that eventually we will meet all of these nuts... including the
freaks in masks.
. An interesting glimpse of the future.

Can't wait for
Earl's daughter to come to Craw County.

Deathlok #1

Great opener. So, everyone knows I'm a fan of Edmondson's Punisher, and while I like Black Widow, it's so depressing to read...

Anyway, Deatlok! If The Punisher is an action movie, and Black Widow is a dark espionage thriller, than Deathlok seems to be set up as a Manchurian Candidate-esque sci-fi conspiracy thriller. The art is fantastic! It's so detailed and the action scenes are just superb. Deathlok's combat design is odd, but it works. Deathlok/Henry himself seems to be a good protagonist so far, but still feels like he's a sketch and not a full character yet.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man #16

The penultimate issue. The end is upon us. I am sad even though I laugh so heartily. Everything's come to a head and the next issue is gonna be balls-out nuts. It's so bizarre but perfectly in character that
Fred's machinations throughout the series are basically so he gets a chance to play baseball again.
Wow.

Now we have the survivors of the Sinister Six, Chameleon, Owl, and The Punisher all about to blow each other away.

Man, comedy continues to remain on point. So funny.

Arkham Manor #1

Okay, so I guess this spins out of Batman: Eternal, which I have not read, so I'm confused as to why Bruce Wayne is now poor and why Arkham Asylum's apparently been destroyed and they're holding the supervillains in a sports stadium.

That said, damned interesting setup! The art is so weird, but it's all scratchy and odd and works for the concept. Batman's home is now a prison for his enemies.
And now Batman is going undercover as a patient.

There's not much horror here to speak of, but Dugan's issue of Batman 35 has convinced me that he's got the chops to go full-on into the psychological horror soon enough. Really hope they go into a horror direction with Batman's villains, similar to A Serious House.

fauxtrot

Banned
My favorite character from Saga is the Stalk...
if BKV ever does a prequel with her or she somehow comes back to life, I'll start reading again.

I mean, how can you not love this?

2012-04-17_1733.png

(That was the only SFW pic I could find.)

Holy shit, the newest guardians is downright painful.

Before he dies in the cancerverse (lol right? it's not even explained why he can die there, it just happens because they hope you don't think about it) Rich tells Starlord and Drax that he's always loved Gamora....even though they were just casual hookups. and at the time he was with namorita. Good job there, bendis.

PsychBat!

Banned

Before he dies in the cancerverse (lol right? it's not even explained why he can die there, it just happens because they hope you don't think about it) Rich tells Starlord and Drax that he's always loved Gamora....even though they were just casual hookups. and at the time he was with namorita. Good job there, bendis.
HEY! Ben says that no one read DnA's run of GotG!
Wow, I'm so glad I didn't read this.
This is the second book I'm dropping this year.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So the reason I started picking up comics again was specifically because I was curious where Azarello and Chang's Wonder Woman went in the last year or so. After catching up, I thought the entire latter half of the run was just not as strong as the first half. The First Born was a corny villain and I hated Azarello's tendency to inexplicably have characters where they needed to be in order to further the plot. It was still good, generally and I'm glad I read it. The final issue was kind of silly, but again still good. Still, the thought of anybody other than Az and Chang doing this book during the first year seemed like blasphemy but now I'm actually excited to see what a new team does with it.

I could never find an answer for this, so maybe you guys can help. Is there a reason JLA/Avengers isn't available digitally? Considering Marvel and DC have so many of their comics in a digital format, it doesn't really make sense that they wouldn't have their biggest crossover event ever on there. Is it just a rights issue and they can't figure out who would sell it?

Cade

Guys I just started Hickman's Fantastic Four.

what the fuck is happening

That said, I've been slightly keeping up with the talk in here/rest of NeoGAF about current Avengers shenanigans and what I'm reading in Fan4 is ringing true with the same shit. Did Hickman really pull a Morrison and do this giant years of planning and still doing payoff in Avengers/New Avengers?! I'm so confused.

Stuff like incursions is mentioned right in the first Hickman F4 and I've heard a lot of talk about that in recent Avengers stuff

Vibranium

Banned
I just can't understand Deathlok, I figure the series will be cancelled by 10 issues and the character himself doesn't seem interesting or anything. Same with the obscene $4.99 Agents of SHIELD book, that has to be one of the most mind-boggling decisions I have ever seen. It's gonna be difficult to attract people who watch the show.

Still, I hope other people enjoy it!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

So wait
he dies in the cancerverse, the universe where nothing dies? Fuck You Bendis..... and Fuck jeph Loeb for his teenage Nova bullshit.

karasu

So the reason I started picking up comics again was specifically because I was curious where Azarello and Chang's Wonder Woman went in the last year or so. After catching up, I thought the entire latter half of the run was just not as strong as the first half. The First Born was a corny villain and I hated Azarello's tendency to inexplicably have characters where they needed to be in order to further the plot. It was still good, generally and I'm glad I read it. The final issue was kind of silly, but again still good. Still, the thought of anybody other than Az and Chang doing this book during the first year seemed like blasphemy but now I'm actually excited to see what a new team does with it.

I agree. That First Born business was unfortunate. I loved the personality Azzarello gave Diana though. At least someone realizes that she isn't Xena the warrior princess. I'm definitely going to miss that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Fuck you, Bendis

IHaveIce

Banned

What the hell.
Bendis is such a shithead he lost any talent somewhere in the new avengers/ ultimate soider-man timeframe and now we get this.

There should be a campaign against him.. has he twitter?

The Justice League United Annual has been my favorite thing I have read so far. I don't know if it's because of the theme of the story being kinda similar or if it's just that good, but reading this conjured the same feelings I had reading Uncanny X-Force. Great team dynamic mixed with humor, action, mystery, confrontation, etc. Was another fun read. The art in here was a mixture of DC house blended with 90's Saturday morning cartoons. It was fun to look at. This is my first experience with the Legion and they seem like a nice cast of characters. I really like this book after the slow start.

JLU Annual #1 was very classic Legion feeling. We get some initial action, some exposition setting up the conflict, which actually does a decent job of being a backdoor way for some action scenes. Lemire actually manages to juggle a larger cast (all of JLU + a couple Legionnaires) at the same time rather well.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the way the story went. Initially it seems
as though the Legion has come back in time to kill Ultra, who will become a creature known as Infinitus in the future, and he will create an expanding tear in space time that swallows up entire a Star Systems. But Brainiac 5 allows them 24 hours to come up with an alternate solution before the rest of the Legion shows up in force to kill Ultra.

I enjoyed it.

Like when does Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver implied incest stuff start in the ultimate universe?

It's there in full force in the Ultimates but they seem pretty damn normal in Ultimate X-Men.

Sigh....I am a longtime defender of Bendis on GotG...I think he earned a lot of leeway with Trial of JG...but there's noooo defending this shit. One issue from dropping...it gets one more chance because Planet of the Symbiotes looks like it could be cool, but the Cancerverse mystery, as we all suspected, was a disaster.

Shittiest comic I've read all month. We need a dishonorable mention for voting.

Edit: you know what bothers me right off the bat about PotS, though? Flash joining the Guardians was contrived, pointless, and they haven't done a damn thing with him since he joined the team. He is literally there to serve this one storyline. Next ish needs to be fucking good, BMB

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Guys I just started Hickman's Fantastic Four.

what the fuck is happening

That said, I've been slightly keeping up with the talk in here/rest of NeoGAF about current Avengers shenanigans and what I'm reading in Fan4 is ringing true with the same shit. Did Hickman really pull a Morrison and do this giant years of planning and still doing payoff in Avengers/New Avengers?! I'm so confused.

Stuff like incursions is mentioned right in the first Hickman F4 and I've heard a lot of talk about that in recent Avengers stuff

Yes, he sets up stuff in FF that he pays off in Avengers. FF is a great run though, very coherent and thorough. Lots more heart and humanity than the Avengers stuff too. Any questions, holla!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I just can't understand Deathlok, I figure the series will be cancelled by 10 issues and the character himself doesn't seem interesting or anything. Same with the obscene $4.99 Agents of SHIELD book, that has to be one of the most mind-boggling decisions I have ever seen. It's gonna be difficult to attract people who watch the show.

Still, I hope other people enjoy it!

tbh I'm so not into Edmonson's military guns'n'internal monologue style. Far too grounded. Fair enough on one book, but when all of his characters are like that it's a bit one-trick pony.

Also Deathlok is one of the dumbest names to come out of the 20th century.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Like when does Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver implied incest stuff start in the ultimate universe?

It's there in full force in the Ultimates but they seem pretty damn normal in Ultimate X-Men.

Just asking for a friend, right?

Loeb started with it in Ultimates 3 iirc. edit: actually no I think it might have been even in vol 2 with Millar now that I think about it.

Zombine

Banned
The Stalk is a cool looking character, but is also a good example of Saga not making any sense.

After that scene from this month's issue, it's pretty clear that she wears that shall outfit to cover up her
sex holes.

If that is the case, I think she forgot something else is exposed as well. I would say that it's the way her species operates, but we haven't seen enough of them to figure out what is actually normal for their culture.

So as it stands, I'm going to assume she just forgot to put her shirt on.

Just asking for a friend, right?

Loeb started with it in Ultimates 3 iirc. edit: actually no I think it might have been even in vol 2 with Millar now that I think about it.
I'm wondering what the heck happened to make them suddenly act so differently, this universe is crazy.

yes it was already there in Ultimates 2.

The Stalk is a cool looking character, but is also a good example of Saga not making any sense.

After that scene from this month's issue, it's pretty clear that she wears that shall outfit to cover up her
sex holes.

If that is the case, I think she forgot something else is exposed as well. I would say that it's the way her species operates, but we haven't seen enough of them to figure out what is actually normal for their culture.

So as it stands, I'm going to assume she just forgot to put her shirt on.

Saga tries really hard to make you give a shit about a character that was in like 2 issues and then died. She's kind of a dumb character and I wish they'd just move on. That said I haven't gotten the most recent issue so I don't know if they jumped the shark and rezzed her to sate the tumblr fans and I'm just talking out my ass.

IHaveIce

Banned
Sigh....I am a longtime defender of Bendis on GotG...I think he earned a lot of leeway with Trial of JG...but there's noooo defending this shit. One issue from dropping...it gets one more chance because Planet of the Symbiotes looks like it could be cool, but the Cancerverse mystery, as we all suspected, was a disaster.

Shittiest comic I've read all month. We need a dishonorable mention for voting.

Edit: you know what bothers me right off the bat about PotS, though? Flash joining the Guardians was contrived, pointless, and they haven't done a damn thing with him since he joined the team. He is literally there to serve this one storyline. Next ish needs to be fucking good, BMB

#SaveGOTG
Go brothers, to war.
We really should somehow get this as a thing going, he is ruining step by step the cosmic marvel universe with his shit

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yes, he sets up stuff in FF that he pays off in Avengers. FF is a great run though, very coherent and thorough. Lots more heart and humanity than the Avengers stuff too. Any questions, holla!

I havent been reading Avengers. Is it as bleak and ugly as it seems?

Zombine

Banned
Saga tries really hard to make you give a shit about a character that was in like 2 issues and then died. She's kind of a dumb character and I wish they'd just move on. That said I haven't gotten the most recent issue so I don't know if they jumped the shark and rezzed her to sate the tumblr fans and I'm just talking out my ass.

Nope, just Truth pounding her in a flash back and a stupid anal joke.

Disclaimer: I loved the issue, but Saga is still stupid.

Batman Eternal #30 was a good issue. Nice clean art. I am really like Eternal and think they are doing a really good job with the overall story. I was getting a little confused with all the demonic shit going on,, this issue made more sense.

Black Science #10,, the first thing I always say about this book,,, dat art. Man its beautiful. I've realized one of my favorite things about the book/art is we usually always get a bad ass painted splash page. Story is getting a little tighter in this issue as well.

Saga #24.. Great read. Sucks it'll be 2015 next time I read this,, just means I should double dip on the HC right ?
Is the HC over sized???

Southern Bastards #5 was great. I was kinda surprised they really did
kill off Earl Tubbs,, Figured somehow he'd still be alive
. Great book. This issue got deep into one of the man characters in the town, Coach Boss.
Like everyone said really curious and looking forward to seeing
Earls daughter show up... Take that bloodied stick off the wall and whoop ass ??

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I havent been reading Avengers. Is it as bleak and ugly as it seems?

Yeah kinda. I think the FF run is definitely more well rounded in terms of balancing the doom of it all with the brightness of the family. I think my biggest criticism of Avengers is that it's frequently a touch TOO epic for its own good and needed a few more issues of downtime and interpersonal drama to go along with the constant universal threat. Avengers itself is breathless and hyperbolic and spends quite some time building up characters and concepts that are confusing and new (they come together in the end though, and on a re-read these bits are actually my favourite). New Avengers is just bleak all the time and has a languid, elegiac quality to the unfolding sense of how fucked they are. It's good but it lasts quite some time before you can get a grasp of what is really happening.

That said, it's super enjoyable to read, has some really great art and some insanely big concepts. And right now it's incredibly exciting to be reading it since payoff mode has been activated and everything starts coming together. This is one of those great comic stories where the stakes are so big that I'm constantly wondering how they're going to get out of this when the story is over.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
...hmmm, that's a pretty good price. Not gonna lie, the only email notifications i get for new listings is for "x-force omnibus." I'm hoping one springs up for less than 37 dollars!

Haha. Amazing.
I won't lie though, I've been incredibly tempted to pick up that omnibus.

I've been doing some more framing...thanks b1g1 free at AC Moore.

I'll probably put something under the 2 Carols and slip some of the tiny Olly Moss prints in the little gaps. Want to find a way to center that Lil Gotham calendar behind the book cabinet glass as well. Might rearrange the top row as well.

I really need to repaint that handrail.

I really wish I had better paper or Bristol on me when I got that Jessica Jones sketch from Gaydos..it's from 2008 and the paper is starting to yellow a bit.

Those look really great!

watching Colbert....so Gamersgate is a thing? I keep seeing and ignoring it on gaming-gaf because it sounds dumb and i avoid dumb things unless it's Bendis books on Marvel Unlimited. When does the battle over girly hijinx books begin?

Oh good. I thought I was the only person who didn't have a clue what GamerGate is. I'll have to watch Colbert and have him give me the rundown.

Poor gamergate.

The scandal thing is gamersgate, and it's some noxious shit.

Anita Sarkeesian is in the Colbert rundown, what a trooper that woman is.

Zombine

Banned
Deathlok #1 is the best book of the week. Edmondson continues to be Marvel's shining light in a sea full of Avengers and X-Men. This book was 80s as fuck and brutal as hell. I'm in.

watching Colbert....so Gamersgate is a thing? I keep seeing and ignoring it on gaming-gaf because it sounds dumb and i avoid dumb things unless it's Bendis books on Marvel Unlimited. When does the battle over girly hijinx books begin?

It's pretty terrible. Hopefully this Colbert interview is the final nail in the coffin.

Sorry I've been playing Sunset Overdrive.

What'd I miss?

(I can't still be the only dude in this thread with an XBO. I know I saw Viewty campaigning against the game but did no one else pick it up for real? It's custom designed for us people.)

Zombine

Banned
Sorry I've been playing Sunset Overdrive.

What'd I miss?

(I can't still be the only dude in this thread with an XBO. I know I saw Viewty campaigning against the game but did no one else pick it up for real? It's custom designed for us people.)

You missed Deathlok, biggest surprise of 2014. I need Slug's opinion asap.

Althane

Just got Southern Bastards on Tuesday, read it last night. Fantastic book, ending was... not what I expected. Especially with the epilogue. Looking forward to the next collection to come out.

I want them to go to the universe where they're married and just kill them off, just for the tears. Have a giant cosmic god that kinda looks like Dan slott growing powerful on crushed spirits

Fucking Slott. I just can't take this guy seriously anymore. First the bitch killed off Spider-Girl's (May Parker) dad and then massacred Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Now we get this garbage teaser.

So is this all related to Hickman's event or what? I thought Bendis was going to close off what he started in Age of Ultron with an event of his own?

Fucking Slott. I just can't take this guy seriously anymore. First the bitch killed off Spider-Girl's (May Parker) dad and then massacred Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Now we get this garbage teaser.

So is this all related to Hickman's event or what? I thought Bendis was going to close off what he started in Age of Ultron with an event of his own?

Poor Slott and Bendis. Truly the Xbox Exclusives of ComicsGAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom