• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruHero

Banned
What do you guys think of the Cable & Deadpool omnibus that came out this week? Was it a good read? How is the art?

I never read the series, and I'm not some Deadpool fanboy either. But the omnibus seems like it could be an entertaining read. I see that GCN has it for half off right now

But it's Deathlok.

Yeah I refuse to give a shit to Deathlok..

Deathlok? I guess I should read it. But then again, I have no interest in it.

Okay, woah woah woah. Did you guys just all skip Uncanny X-Force, Remender's Secret Avengers and the first volume of Wolverine and the X-Men? Because Deathlok is awesome now, and this new book is great. TRY IT. I just read it and it really cleansed the palate of all that GotG nonsense.

No, other way around. GamerGate is the scandal, gamersgate is the PC gaming website :lol

Ha ha ha, dammit. Poor gamersgate.

SLOTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

No, I refuse to be mad or cynical about this one, this...this fills me with unbridled hope that one of the worst things Marvel has ever done is about to be corrected. Come on, Marvel. DO IT. Secret Wars is starting to look like something else...and I think my theory still holds up. ;p

I read WW 35, and as far as ends of a story go it was good. Not spectacular or amazing, but good, solid if you will. It also felt really late, and a little bit drawn out, but at the same time quick. I think that's how I would describe the run overall. Good, solid, not spectacular or amazing as a whole. I think it started off spectacular and amazing, and just drifted into overall good territory.

So the Spider-Man Secret Wars Thingy is a Universe where One More Day didnt happened?

Love it without having read it.

I seriously believe that Marvel is rebooting the Comic universe and the default universe (be it 616 or whatever) Will have OMD undone as well as huge parts of the clone saga where the baby was lost. Also the X Men style mutants and Fantastic Four with either not exist of play reduced roles.

I seriously believe that Marvel is rebooting the Comic universe and the default universe (be it 616 or whatever) Will have OMD undone as well as huge parts of the clone saga where the baby was lost. Also the X Men style mutants and Fantastic Four with either not exist of play reduced roles.

C'mon, son. You know if they do a full reboot, they're going to send Spidey right back to square one as a nerdy highschool student.

C'mon, son. You know if they do a full reboot, they're going to send Spidey right back to square one as a nerdy highschool student.

True, I'm thinking of this as "The Last Superman story" that Morrison did. We will see Parker ending up truly happy at the end just before the end of the event.

JLU Annual #1 was very classic Legion feeling. We get some initial action, some exposition setting up the conflict, which actually does a decent job of being a backdoor way for some action scenes. Lemire actually manages to juggle a larger cast (all of JLU + a couple Legionnaires) at the same time rather well.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the way the story went. Initially it seems
as though the Legion has come back in time to kill Ultra, who will become a creature known as Infinitus in the future, and he will create an expanding tear in space time that swallows up entire a Star Systems. But Brainiac 5 allows them 24 hours to come up with an alternate solution before the rest of the Legion shows up in force to kill Ultra.

I enjoyed it.

Wonder if this book could spin-off into a reboot of the Legion. I think Lemire has the chops for it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Question for those we read the current Batman stuff. I'm gonna get Scott Snyder's current Batman run but I feel like I will be missing out on a lot of what is going in with the Batman storyline if I don't read the other books, is this the case?

I believe Joker's face getting cut off happened in Detective Comics and
Damian's death
happened in Batman Inc.

Will I randomly have no idea what is going on because big plot points happened in other books?

Question for those we read the current Batman stuff. I'm gonna get Scott Snyder's current Batman run but I feel like I will be missing out on a lot of what is going in with the Batman storyline if I don't read the other books, is this the case?

Damian's death
happened in Batman Inc.

Will I randomly have no idea what is going on because big plot points happened in other books?

No it reads self contained very well.

The only companion series I'd say is worth your time but not required is Batman and Robin.

Wonder if this book could spin-off into a reboot of the Legion. I think Lemire has the chops for it.

I doubt this alone is enough to get them to relaunch a Legion series. But it's nice to see a writer with a love for the Legion writing them again.

Messi

Damian's death
happened in Batman Inc.

You know that both of those things have happened so it's not a big deal. You will never be lost. The Joker thing is not a big deal. He just appears with the face reattached and
Damiens stuff is like two issues. Most of the fallout happened in Batman and Robin

Read it you will be fine. You never need the tie ins. They just add colour to the story.

Blader

Who would you guys like to replace Slott with? You know it would be Bendis right. Let's be realistic.

Christos Gage, Zeb Wells, or Mark Waid would all be perfect. Anytime they've done fill-in issues or side books, there's a night and day difference in dialogue compared to Slott's.

And I like Slott's ideas and big stories, but his dialogue is total ass.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The only companion series I'd say is worth your time but not required is Batman and Robin.

You know that both of those things have happened so it's not a big deal. You will never be lost. The Joker thing is not a big deal. He just appears with the face reattached and
Damiens stuff is like two issues. Most of the fallout happened in Batman and Robin

Read it you will be fine. You never need the tie ins. They just add colour to the story.

Alright, cool. Thanks guys.

MG310

I'd take that Bendis/Slott swap because then there's a chance we might get Silver Surfer tier Slott writing Guardians.

I doubt this alone is enough to get them to relaunch a Legion series. But it's nice to see a writer with a love for the Legion writing them again.

In the n52, was the Legion always set in the future? In the Annual, Manhunter comments that he has never heard of the Legion before.

So the Spider-Man Secret Wars Thingy is a Universe where One More Day didnt happened?

Love it without having read it.

A world where One More Day doesn't exist!?
PpngeDM.gif

I want to live there.

In the n52, was the Legion always set in the future? In the Annual, Manhunter comments that he has never heard of the Legion before.

The Legion is always set 1000 years in the future. They occasionally come back in time for various reasons; Sometimes it's to have a crazy adventure with Superman, sometimes it's to save the timeline. Almost always they erase peoples memories of their existence. In the case of Superman, there is usually a mental block that will allow them to return all his memories of them when they need to, so he'll know who they are, but this doesn't typically extend to the rest of the modern day heroes.

In regards to New 52; The Legion Lost is the only previous occurrence of the Legion showing up. In that incarnation, they were trapped in the past because they were infected with a disease that would destroy the future or something (I forget the specifics). Those still in the future were prevented from going back in time, at that time, because of the "Flashpoint Barrier"; which suggested they knew that history had been altered but didn't know how. The idea of a time barrier that the Legion cannot pass is not a new thing. The "Iron Curtain of Time" is something that existed in Silver Age Legion, usually associated with Time Trapper, who hide in the future planning the Legion's destruction.

We don't currently know if Superman still knows who the Legion is, if he met them in his youth, or went on any crazy adventures with them, though due to the nature of their ability to mind wipe that from him it'd be easy to put back in.

Also, a side note, issues of Superboy suggested that Kon-El Superboy might be the inspiration for the current Legion instead of Superman, but take that with a grain of salt.

frye

They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts, it was part of the settlement with the Kirby estate to keep the case from hitting the Supreme Court.

Yeah, but it's still better than the weird limbo where they would have references in Fantastic Four to Lee and Kirby in the credit pages but never straight up said "created by" like cowards.

tim1138

Yeah, but it's still better than the weird limbo where they would have references in Fantastic Four to Lee and Kirby in the credit pages but never straight up said "created by" like cowards.

Well yeah obviously, all I was saying is that they're legally bound to do so now. It's not like someone at Marvel woke up one day and decided to finally give Kirby proper credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom