• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2014. Witches, wytches, and things that go GROOT in the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bii

Every issue of Deadly Class has been a book of the month contender.

Save for issue #6 (and now #8), I've always felt Deadly Class wasn't a top three book, just my opinion though.

-

Deadly Class #8

QlEUId5.jpg

We're finally getting to the meat of Marcus' past. I'm not too enthusiastic when a flashback occurs because, more often than not, it doesn't make any substantial progress with the plot moving forward. This isn't the case. Marcus is opening up to Saya by allowing her to read his journal entry of an event that had changed him and made him who he is. We also get a deeper understanding of the reputation he has of him being a killer thus earning him a spot in the academy.

What really makes this issue stand out is its use of monochromatic colors. Each panel/page is fuckin beautiful and it really sets the tone through visuals and dialog. Even the greys in the beginning and end paints a gloom and cold atmosphere that you just can't shake. Check out that first panel of the book. I can almost smell the air.

This is probably my favorite issue of Deadly Class yet.

tim1138

I didn't notice the Ziggy Stardust red across the eye they were going for

ziggystardust.jpg

wicdiv5-2.jpg

ReAxion said:
That's one of the reasons I love these in-depth posts that Multiversity does. There's always something I'm missing.

Wow, really? Bowie was the first thing I thought of when they showed Luci prerelease, so of course Luci with a red stripe on her face would evoke Ziggy Stardust. Given who is making this book, I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a Bowie homage in it.

So. I ordered a bunch of comics, Ready to get into this. Woop woop. I'm not much into the super hero genre. Not yet anyway so I'm slowly starting out with Rat queens, Witcher, Baltimore and Orc stain. BPRD is good stuff too.

Zombine

Banned
Holy shit. Joe beat me. I thought waiting a month for my Hellboy 1-6 collections was garbage. I take it all back now.

Controversial opinion time, I really didn't enjoy the last issue of Multiversity. Onto the next.

That's the beauty of Multiversity. There's at least 1 issue for everyone.

OK that does not make me feel good at all.

Did you email them?

Yes, they answered with this
Our distributor has been having software problems, so it’s taking them much longer to ship us our orders. Under normal circumstances we would have already been able to send this item out to you, but because of the issues our distributor is having, it’s putting huge delays in our shipping time. We apologize for any inconvenience. This item will be shipped to you when it’s back in stock, which we are checking for every day.
I've been thinking about sending an email that would cancel the order and maybe get credit or something.

So. I ordered a bunch of comics, Ready to get into this. Woop woop. I'm not much into the super hero genre. Not yet anyway so I'm slowly starting out with Rat queens, Witcher, Baltimore and Orc stain. BPRD is good stuff too.

Rat Queens is fantastic. Even if you're not into superhero books, Image has a lot of stuff that will appeal to you. Well, only if you like good things, and fun.

Controversial opinion time, I really didn't enjoy the last issue of Multiversity. Onto the next.

That's okay, I thought the second issue was a steaming pile of archaic shit. :D

phoenixyz

Man Saga #24 was badass. That last page.
Also I don't know what to vote for on comic book of the month. Wytches, Harley Annual, Batman Endgame, Grayson, Saga? So much good stuff.

Messi

Man Saga #24 was badass. That last page.
Also I don't know what to vote for on comic book of the month. Wytches, Harley Annual, Batman Endgame, Grayson, Saga? So much good stuff.

Harley #11 was also this month. It was better than the annual :)

Great month

I have a new personal voting system in place where I will try and not vote for a #1. It has to be pretty incredible for it to make it. Otherwise, voting for a #1 is like voting for a books potential.

phoenixyz

I have a new personal voting system in place where I will try and not vote for a #1. It has to be pretty incredible for it to make it. Otherwise, voting for a #1 is like voting for a books potential.
That makes sense but Wytches was a really good issue in its own right.

Harley #11 was also this month. It was better than the annual :)
Nah dude, you only say that because of PG. The annual was much better imo.

fauxtrot

Banned
Just cast my votes... all girly hijinks books!

I know half of y'all are proud (and the other half disappointed).

I just voted for two #1s, but I am going to start doing this too... one of my #1s would have still gotten a vote, though.

ReAxion

Wow, really? Bowie was the first thing I thought of when they showed Luci prerelease, so of course Luci with a red stripe on her face would evoke Ziggy Stardust. Given who is making this book, I'd be more surprised if there wasn't a Bowie homage in it.

I'm not really a music fan in general, so that kind of thing is always gonna go over my head. Which also makes it weird I even like this book at all, and Phonogram for that matter.

Messi

In a month with a few high profile #1s I think a #1 will win. #1s usually win here. Remember Wicked and the Divine with its stupidly high score in the first month and didn't chart since.

Freeza. Me and you aren't speaking right now.

fauxtrot

Banned
Should I read vol 4 of Saga now that the arc is complete? I liked the first arc, but the following two made me lose interest. I'm not much for the gimmicks and its style-over-substance nature, but if the story actually starts moving along at a healthy clip, I'll want to jump back in.

ReAxion

Should I read vol 4 of Saga now that the arc is complete? I liked the first arc, but the following two made me lose interest. I'm not much for the gimmicks and its style-over-substance nature, but if the story actually starts moving along at a healthy clip, I'll want to jump back in.

Get in there.

fauxtrot

Banned
I still haven't received my Harley Annual in the mail, but I did my duty thanks to a great issue (#11)... I'm not liking having to wait a week after release to read my girly books.

Messi

I still haven't received my Harley Annual in the mail, but I did my duty thanks to a great issue (#11)... I'm not liking having to wait a week after release to read my girly books.

Join the digital master race and have all your girly books right damn now.

I also buy Harley physically tho. Gotta support the cause.

fauxtrot

Banned
Join the digital master race and have all your girly books right damn now.

I also buy Harley physically tho. Gotta support the cause.

I scratch and sniffed my Nexus 7 but it didn't work...

Real talk, though, my Motorola Droid Mini smells like pina-coladas.

fauxtrot

Banned
After reading this I seriously smelled my tablet. Now I feel slightly stupid.

I have shown this to about a half dozen people to prove I am not crazy, and they all agree... there is a metallic kind of smell that is very pina colada-ish. I think it's something about the metal/electronics warming up. I am not crazy.

ReAxion

Goddamn I can't believe
Earl is dead
in Southern Bastards.

Who will slap Coach Boss some comeuppance now?

They kept saying this in that interview they did and I couldn't believe it.

This is who:
his daughter. She gonna beat some ass.

that Harley Quinn scratch n sniff is like the opposite of cool

Don't know the name, but we saw what an unknown did for Catwoman after Selina was pried from the demonic claws of Nocenti. Bendis doesn't seem to have the chops for Marvel Cosmic.

...unknown?

Perlman has technically written Gamora before. Badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom