• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2015. ...Are just something we do while the patch downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Just read the second half of Batman Dark Victory in one long session. I'm worn out after that. But man was it good. I didn't like the art most of the time, but it didn't really detract from the experience.

Now onto Batman Eternal Vol. 1. One of my last physical graphic novels I haven't read (in addition to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus and a couple that I don't know when I'll get to.)

However, I'm also getting the Planetary omnibus, some Marvel Christmas graphic novel (collection of small stories), and Superman Birthright in the mail tomorrow, AS WELL AS my new Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 which I bought to read digital comics. I bought nine graphic novels on Batman day and I've bought cheap issues of stuff through the last few months in preparation for this day.

Man, I'm so excited for tomorrow lol. I mean, that's some pretty awesome stuff to be getting.

DEVASTATION

latest

Owzers

Comics! lOTl October 2015. Kids prefer candy corn to Valiant comics.

As an official apology for insulting valiant comics so much i offer this: I read the first six issues or so of Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong and liked both. Didn't like X-O Manowar though, which is the one i thought i'd like.

VanWinkle

Oh yeah, I also have a bunch of digital Doctor Who and Star Wars comics that I've got from Humble Bundle through the years. I've never even thought about them until now, since I've never had a great way to read digital comics.

My question for you guys is, what is a good comic reader for Android tablets, for comics that get loaded on a microSD card? I assume Comixology won't let you read comics that don't come from its service?

Honestly, having Valiant in the title, even ironically, is a win for me
Comics! lOTl October 2015. Kids prefer candy corn to Valiant comics.

As an official apology for insulting valiant comics so much i offer this: I read the first six issues or so of Harbinger and Archer and Armstrong and liked both. Didn't like X-O Manowar though, which is the one i thought i'd like.

In your defense, XO has a slow start. It gets better after #12 or so. So do the other two.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My comic comeback continues!

Secret Avengers #11 - great as usual, cool moment with Phil and Clint, Modok seems to genuinely want to be a good guy (even if it's his plan and his goons that are fucking everything), Spider Woman kicking ass and Vladimir continues to be awesome.

Deadpool #39 - AXIS tie in (even tho I've finished actual AXIS ages ago), I actually liked this, bittersweet issue with the fallout from AXIS and what happened with Evanpocalypse and Deadpool reverting from his zen persona and realising he's a piece of shit and will never be happy. Good stuff.

Loki #9 - another AXIS tie in, this time with Loki's fight against evil Thor on the moon. Loki wields Mjolnir and beats Thor just before the reversion wave makes Thor forget this ever happened and Loki was actually good enough to wield Mjolnir. OK issue but as with most things AXIS related it dragged.

Cyclops #8 - another (surprisingly) great issue, young Cyke is stuck with the bad space pirate crew having to fight alongside them pretending he's one of them, and even gets a little alien lady action on top of it. X-Men in space is always fun, and with the focus on the starjammers this feels even more space opera-y than usual. Speaking of space operas...

Princess Leia #2 - better than the first issue but still did little for me. I like the pilot lady that's with Leia but that's about it. Easily the weakest of the Star Wars books.

Reached blackest night and man things are going crazy. I really don't know what corps is my favorite, they're all so interesting. I went in not a big fan of GL in particular and between Tomasi and Johns they've changed my opinion. It's not particularly one character or Hal I enjoy above all the others, but all the members of each corps.

I think Blue is my favorite, but I also like Larfleeze and how insanely crazy the red corps are. Guy is my favorite GL and I went in absolutely hating Guy.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Oh yeah, I also have a bunch of digital Doctor Who and Star Wars comics that I've got from Humble Bundle through the years. I've never even thought about them until now, since I've never had a great way to read digital comics.

My question for you guys is, what is a good comic reader for Android tablets, for comics that get loaded on a microSD card? I assume Comixology won't let you read comics that don't come from its service?

ComicRack

One of the best songs ever

I use Perfect Viewer, but ComicRack is good too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Darth Vader #3 - yooooo this book. A cool roguish scientist lady and a couple of homicidal R2 / 3-P0 stand-ins as a new secret crew for Vader? Fuck yeah

Rhaknar

All New X-Factor #18

855e73f36b232530b9626df70f2f1b5a.jpg

How? :eek:

Kidding aside, I continue to really enjoy this, I like the writing, love the art, just a fun book overall. Will actually be sad when it's over.

Captain America & the Mighty Avengers #3 - AXIS tie-in so guess what, it's shit. Tony and his team of A-listers including Wanda and Thor get their asses handed to them by the Mighty team and leave with their tails between their legs... riiiiight. Let's blame the inversion I guess. Complete filler issue, AXIS ruins everything I sware

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
All New X-Factor #18

855e73f36b232530b9626df70f2f1b5a.jpg

How? :eek:

Kidding aside, I continue to really enjoy this, I like the writing, love the art, just a fun book overall. Will actually be sad when it's over.

Captain America & the Mighty Avengers #3 - AXIS tie-in so guess what, it's shit. Tony and his team of A-listers including Wanda and Thor get their asses handed to them by the Mighty team and leave with their tails between their legs... riiiiight. Let's blame the inversion I guess. Complete filler issue, AXIS ruins everything I sware

giphy.gif

Owzers

Nailbiter vol 1: Decided to move on from Journey into Sifville and started the trade. Surely the name is just a metaphor *sees the first issue's cover* nope! Not a metaphor. I read the first two issues and it's interesting, one of those books that you just keep reading without thinking about how comics were a mistake. A small gripe is the generic kinda creepy kinda rapey vibe small town guys that pick on a girl, seems like that's in a lot of books.

Rhaknar

It's the only picture I could find of said page, looks fine on mobile /shrug

It's basically Danger, who is a full blown robot (not cyborg) in bed with Doug after having sex...somehow.

Owzers

I think Comic-Gaf after 11pm est should be dedicated to comic books since the rest of the day is spent talking about Valiant or Destiny.

Rhaknar

I think Comic-Gaf after 11pm est should be dedicated to comic books since the rest of the day is spent talking about Valiant or Destiny.

Happy to oblige

Punisher #14 - Howling Commandos arc continues in a bloody way for Frank. I continue to really enjoy this series and am surprised so many people on gaf pan it. It had a feel of its own compared to previous (better I admit) runs, which I like. Also I love the art.

X-Men #23 - the ladies are back from space with a new arc about a series on natural disasters that Storm can't control for some reason. Not the most exciting start to an arc tbh, not helped by the millionth "Storm is trapped under rubble and she's claustrophobic omg" drama. Weak issue in what has been a strong book in general.

JTripper

I'm starting Brubaker's run on Daredevil. It's the only "big" run on modern Daredevil I haven't read (I read all of the Miller, Bendis, and Waid stuff).

You guys have any favorite runs on Daredevil?

Rhaknar

I'm starting Brubaker's run on Daredevil. It's the only "big" run on modern Daredevil I haven't read (I read all of the Miller, Bendis, and Waid stuff).

Waid because Kirsten

Rhaknar

Legendary Star-Lord #7 - Kitty fucks off to space to save the love of her life (aparently) and I don't care at all. This relationship feels so fucking forced, what was Bendis thinking? Also Mr.Knife's identity is super underwhelming and puts a damper on any Black Vortex excitment I had.

Angela #2 - "we should not be eating this delicious creamy substance" I love this book, the nail the traditional "fish out of water" type story with her. Also the art is phenomenal, hopefully the new book will have the same artist (does the secret wars book have the same artist?). Speaking of the secret wars book, you guys said it was great if I remember correctly?

Oh and for someone who is half naked, the lack of obvious fanservice shots or poses is a nice change. You could argue the costume is already fanservice-y enough but they don't lean in on it which I like (so far at least).

ANGELA2014002009-colors-revised-small-8d67d.jpg

The second to last panel could have easily have been a much more egregious butt shot for example.

Owzers

One day we're going to wake up and find a Valiant lOTl in the community section. We talked about a Civil War but it was a Secret War all along.

I've only read Bendis and Waid but... Bendis or Waid lol.

I really loved both of them. I want to read Miller's stuff, especially Born Again, eventually.

Owzers

I finished Nailbiter volume 1, that was a pretty good, if not initially-gross, "horror movie" comic. It's possible that buying so many volume 1 trades detracts from the desire to buy a volume 2 of anything in the random 7 or 8 territory, but i would like to read on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom