• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coming from the PS4, I am blown away by the Xbox One.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'll just sign my son out and log in... now I move the cursor to the left to bring up that screen thing - oh here are the different people... no thats friends... go up then?.. hm that looks ok....wait now I have to go left? Ok now I click to drop a little twisty even though I'm not using a mouse on a web browser.....ah sign out.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Easy. The PS4 OS moves tiles around from where I put them, even in folders. If I go to the dropdown on the PS4 for video, sometimes netflix is in one place, sometimes another.

On Xbox, if I pin something, it fucking stays in place! It never moves regardless of how much or how little I use the app or game. I could turn on the system and with my eyes closed move to exactly the game or app I want because its pinned in place. Sometimes thats the case with PS4, sometimes tiles just move.

Nonsense, the PS4 doesn't move tiles around in folders you make, you place them in the exact order you want them in the sort screen and they will stay that way. The only place they move around is in the TV & Video folder which is something you can't customise anyway.

Harmen

From my limited experience with the One, I think the controller is a step down from the 360 one and the difference in comfort/feeling between the DS4/One gamepad is not very large (nowhere near the big difference between the DS3 and 360 gamepad). But the controller is good, I agree.

UI seems functional enough in case of both the PS4 and One, but since I am gaming 99% of the time and all the functions I need work fine on both, I don't really view a better UI as a major selling point (unlike, for example PC's or smartphones, where the majority of my time is trough interactions with the UI). That said, I do think the One UI looks a bit better.

Easy. The PS4 OS moves tiles around from where I put them, even in folders. If I go to the dropdown on the PS4 for video, sometimes netflix is in one place, sometimes another.

On Xbox, if I pin something, it fucking stays in place! It never moves regardless of how much or how little I use the app or game. I could turn on the system and with my eyes closed move to exactly the game or app I want because its pinned in place. Sometimes thats the case with PS4, sometimes tiles just move.

Since folders were added this does not apply anymore. Every app is in the place I need it to be and it will stay there unless I specifically change it.

kinezu

Wonder why these threads didn't pop out earlier!? Is it because of the momentum of the Xbox One S or something else? In the last month all i see is why Xbox is better than PS4 with obvious bias.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The XB1 UI is easily the worst I have ever used. I know there's a lot of good features but they are hidden behind a wall of un-intuitive menu's.

Raybunny

I respect your opinion but I cannot agree with it.

For me Xbox one UI is dreadful and so slow that I have time to turn on my ps4 start playing a game while my Xbox one is loading the library.

Aside my opinion, The 4.0 update on the PS4 made the quick menu really intuitive and fast.

Controller is good yes same as the DS on ps4 I guess its about preference.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Ever since the last update, my PS4 main screen has only six tiles.

20161021132509ziy59.png

20161021132731b7lgq.png

• Store
  • What's new (friends/community feed)
  • Games
  • TV/Media
  • Apps
  • Library
It's minimal, it's clean and it's fast. The folders really do wonders if you set them up right.

Mine is the same except I have a VR folder as well, it's great, and quick. I haven't had any problems with it. Best of all is I can order the folders how I want them.

Jumeira

Banned
Wonder why these threads didn't pop out earlier!? Is it because of the momentum of the Xbox One S or something else? In the last month all i see is why Xbox is better than PS4 with obvious bias.

Would love you to prove that. OP was PS4 only for some time it seems.

I've had a Ps4 for over a year and an xbox one for 3 weeks.

I don't like the Xbox UI, hate the install times, and think the controller is ok. BUT I do love them exclusive games. Forza Horizon 3 and Gears of War 4 are incredible imo.

novabolt

Is this a joke thread? The Xbox UI is one of the greatest travesties known to man.

You know what? It's not actually, even on XBOX voice, no one is slating the UI to the extent that some NeoGAF users do. I guess because a few people here do, it must be true for everyone else.

takriel

are you microsoft pr guy?

For me, UI is really important and I can get angry real quick if the UI is laggy or unintuitive. So Xbox One likely isn't for me. Although I like its multimedia-machine approach.

CyberChulo

Hell no. Xbone UI is terrible. It's slow when you don't use the console for a while and you power it back up from a suspend and resume state - which then kicks me out to the main menu of the game instead of..... resuming.

KageMaru

I think this is the real takeaway, more reflective truth. A nice medium between the OP of this thread and some of the usual hysterical shouting in response.

Yeah I find that many people on GAF (and to be fair, the internet) tend to go to extremes with their opinions when it's not always warranted. The XBO UI isn't the best but the 360 was far worse when it was updated to the tile UI.

Somnia

are you microsoft pr guy?

For me, UI is really important and I can get angry real quick if the UI is laggy or unintuitive. So Xbox One likely isn't for me. Although I like its multimedia-machine approach.

Everyone can like different things my friend, no need to be snarky with the PR stuff.

I love my lunar white X1 controller and while I don't own the system, it's great for lots of PC games. MS did a great job with the controller.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I don't mind the UI. Then again all I use it for is going to my games list and picking the game I want to play. I did notice when I went from the original One to the One S the UI works much faster now. I hate navigating the store on both the One and PS4.

The controller is great but I hate the OS and its UI.

Still, I've really been enjoying my XB1 lately. 360 BC has been the gift that keeps on giving.

I agree. If it wasnt so difficult and cumbersome to navigate and figure out.

I do enjoy my XB1 despite so. It is also a bonus that it is quiet and has a fast boot up mode.

Ever since the last update, my PS4 main screen has only six tiles.

20161021132509ziy59.png

20161021132731b7lgq.png

• Store
  • What's new (friends/community feed)
  • Games
  • TV/Media
  • Apps
  • Library
It's minimal, it's clean and it's fast. The folders really do wonders if you set them up right.

OK that looks very nice, I didn't even realise you could do that.

I'm stealing this idea.

kodecraft

The momentum of the XB1 S. Essentially LTTP threads.

Pretty much all of this. The UI takes a beating here for whatever reason but I find it very easy and quick to use. Even more so when using voice commands. "Hey Cortana, start a party w/________" done. So easy.

The party chat audio itself is of a very high quality.

The controller is the best theyve made yet on an ergonomic level but build quality might have taken a slight hit from the 360 level in the first couple revisions. Love how the bumpers are placed and feel, but not a huge fan of the design's durability there.

Xbox is my favourite console this gen, the games are better I feel, the controller is head and shoulders above the competition, the backwards compatibility has been amazing.

The dashboard however... is the worst screen in the world. Sorry it is not user friendly, the PS4 is boring as but easy to navigate (left or right to folder pick game), but this you have to go to top right of home screen but not too far right or you go to next page and not too far up or you go to top section.

MS have done wonders but that home screen is awful OP

What impresses me most? The attention to detail. It's quite apparent from the moment you boot the console up that the UI was designed, and refined, for gamers in mind. For instance, the option to view the bandwidth usage of your console and be able to see a history of that usage hour-by-hour. How many times have you felt a download was taking longer than usual? Whilst the PS4 shows you a progress bar of how much data has been downloaded thus far, the Xbox One allows you to monitor the actual speed (Mbits per second).

Friends & Parties

With the PS4, you go through at least 3 different inputs (Home, Up, Find Party Icon, Create Party etc) just to create a party session. It's fine as it is, I was happy with it. But then I experienced something different with Microsoft's console. Double-tap the Home button, you have your friends list snap to your screen . As you highlight a friend, the party icon prompt appears and you need only press X to start a session with that person.

Store and Friend Activity

Although a marked improvement over the years, Sony's integration of their store is abysmal as many of you know. Their Friend Activity wall is an eye-sore of a jigsaw puzzle mixed in with ads. The Xbox One allows you to scroll through all of this pretty smoothly, and again, something that is consistent, the UI is clean and organised. The eye icons are not an eye-sore and 'liking' or commenting is actually pretty simple to do. This leads to a greater level of engagement within the community.

The Store is just there - it's not an app you have to open.

The controller

This is it. This is what I really want to talk about. The controllers of both consoles - in my opinion - epitomise the difference of perspective when it comes to designing games consoles. Whilst Mark Cerny is a godsend when it comes to introducing/explaining the hardware of Sony's machine, Microsoft made just as much a fuss in drooling over their new controller.

The grips on the side of the controller as well on the new, smaller thumb sticks give it the impression of being a better made device than Sony's offering. Whilst I - like many others - found the rubber peeling off the DS4 sticks frustrating, the One's controller made me smile as I felt the triggers vibrate. Seriously, the triggers vibrate. And upon notifications, you feel another vibration from...somewhere. I haven't pinned it down yet but it's really subtle.

The PS4 does a lot of things well. I still have mine. But wow, this Xbox One console feels like another generation ahead of Sony when it comes to it's UI.

To be fair, a lot of that stuff was added later on. At launch it wasnt nearly this good. Its improved a lot thats for sure. Loving the xbox one S too.

ethomaz

Banned
Strong disagree.

PS4 is light fast, intuitive and easy of use in a way that makes XB1's looks like something really disastrous coming from MS.

I expect big changes for the release of Scorpio for better.

BTW some os your points:

Friends & Parties: On only need to go to your friend and choose Party (it create a party or invite him if you already in one) on PS4.

Luckydog

I always appreciate that things are where I left them. On PS I usually just go to library now and find apps alphabetically seems to work.

When you have a decent amount of games this is time consuming at best. The folder system would be a great upgrade if they didnt move things around.

I actually completely agree with you. Using my Xbox feels next gen. Unfortunately most of my friends got a PS4 so that's basically all I play nowadays but I really enjoy the user interface and actually like the Xbox controller quite a bit more

Going to add that I own a Kinect and I think that makes a big difference. Especially with recording gameplay

I have had both since launch and both UI have gotten better since launch.

I don't have a problem with the xb1 UI but I do wish everything wasn't built behind and app because imo it causes it to be slower then the ps4 UI. Ps4 is pretty snappy BUT you can see it lag a little when a game is running but not a whole lot. IMO Sony designed a good UI that doesn't take a lot of stress on the system plus the new 4.00 update added quick menu which imo is amazing.

Xb1 UI has come a long way too and imo it's FAR better then what it was at launch. I don't get how people say it's hard for them to navigate or that the store is a mess. I can go to any game or find anything on the store super fast. You can learn how to use the UI in like 10 minutes. Plus I like how you can pin any games to the home page.

The newly redesigned xb1 controller imo is light years ahead of the dual shock 4. I love the weighted feel, rumble triggers, build quality and analog placement over the ds4. Imo the ds4 is a good controller but the byild quality is beyond terrible.

An example of this is that I am on my 4th ds4 since launch because of the R2 button spring being broken or the thumb sticks wearing off. My orginal xb1 controller is still in great shape plus I recently bought one of the new xb1 controllers with the revised bumpers and you can tell right away the build quality is FAR superior to the ds4.

v1lla21

Nah I own both and xbox is easily the worst as It's convoluted. Now that the ps4 has a quick menu, everything is so easy and fast. The Xbox is sluggish as hell and irritates me since I'm used to the ps4. Besides the amount of apps and entertainment focus, there's nothing I prefer about the xbox over the ps4.

Luckydog

Nonsense, the PS4 doesn't move tiles around in folders you make, you place them in the exact order you want them in the sort screen and they will stay that way. The only place they move around is in the TV & Video folder which is something you can't customise anyway.

Why would they move Netflix, Vudu or Amazon? It is so annoying. And why is it inconsistent with folders then. My understanding of Game folders was the most used was moved to the front. I may be mistaken with that. But if games are not moved in folders now (which is good), why is it moved in video. Nonsense inconsistency, but at least its only taken 3 years to stop moving SOME items around.

My general experience is that it's fucking terrible.

Also have this happen way too often

Hold Xbox button to turn off the system

Get the vibration that tells me it accepted the input

Wait 5 seconds, still no power options

Do it again

Wait 5 seconds, get the gray bar without buttons, 3 seconds later the buttons show up

Turn off the fucking thing

Sounds like you're easily impressed,OP. To be blown away by things like a friends list that requires two less clicks and persistent game store.

Mihos

Gold Member
I fricken love the XBoxOne Elite Controller.

The rest of the system, I am not a fan off. The UI looks like it is yelling at me all the time.

Bingo... That OP post reads like the old FUD accounts that used to be around right before xb1 and ps4 launches.

Well its neogaf. Everytime theres a new console out, there's alway so many new threads popping out giving glowing reviews of them and conveniently shitting on the other console. I'm not saying OP is like this. Just don't take them seriously.

amdb00mer

I agree with the OP. I enjoy using the UI. It does not feel sluggish to me and my digital download speeds are never an issue. I think NXOE did fix a lot of issues from the launch dashboard. However as I said in other threads, opinions are opinions. Somebody may love the UI, but not the controller. Same for PS4 and other systems. I rarely play my Wii U cause the gamepad is just not comfortable to me and I wished ALL games had the option of using the pro controller. I'm sure there are millions that would disagree with me on all these assessments, but that's why they are called opinions.

Happy to see this post, way too much hate on the X1 dash out there. I've never had a problem with it - aside from occasional sluggishness.

So people shouldnt criticize the xbox one ui/os even when its legitimate simply because you like it ? Get out of here with that.
Also people need to stop using the word "hate" when someone criticizes something you like. That just makes you look like your upset that someone is pointing out flaws in something you like.

amdb00mer

My general experience is that it's fucking terrible.

Also have this happen way too often

Hold Xbox button to turn off the system

Get the vibration that tells me it accepted the input

Wait 5 seconds, still no power options

Do it again

Wait 5 seconds, get the gray bar without buttons, 3 seconds later the buttons show up

Turn off the fucking thing

I've never had this problem personally, but a friend did have issues with his being slow to turn off. He said after he started unplugging his PDP Afterglow controller (backup he makes the kids use) the issue went away and it pops up right away now.

sora87

I freaking hate the xbox one UI, so clunky and annoying. After the latest update the PS4 UI is miles ahead in term of easy, quick access to things.

entremet

I would agree.

I prefer the Xbox ecosystem as well. Too bad MS dropped the ball originally, as I'm more invested in the PS4 this generation.

But yeah, the PS4 feels barren and lifeless in comparison in terms of UI and community features. Nothing like the glory days of the 360.

Maybe, I'll be back for Scorpio.

Top Bottom