• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S5 |OT| From the Executive Producer of Community Seasons 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

For those who want to know without spoilers, the reviewer in the first link finds that this Community is a return to form, and although it's not as great as the peaks of Dan Harmon's greatest episodes, it feels like it's building towards something greater so that's alright. Overall pretty positive.

I won't read them. I'm going near black-out til the 2nd, but the positive reviews are a good sign, hopefully.

Emarv

Sepinwall was cautiously optimistic last time if I remember correctly. But by the end of the season I think he was kinda hating it. That's sorta how I was, so I'm staying positive!

inm8num2

I have this random hunch that Community will get a sixth season, and after that there will be a kickstarter for making a movie.

Emarv

I have the same feeling. Kickstarter has to be the way they can get their movie, right? Either that or some type of Netflix-funded thing? Those are the only two options I could see.

Mariolee

But didn't Dan say during Comic Con this year specifically about kickstarter that they didn't need it for a movie because the movie would probably be insanely cheap for Sony to make? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Mariolee

Yeah, I remember a fan directly saying something to him during the big Comic Con panel about hin being the first one in line to kickstart a movie but not sure what the timestamp is on it and too lazy to search since I'm on mobile haha

Emarv

no problem, bud. I'll take your word for it!

BUT IF THIS ENDS UP A LIE, I SWEAR TO GOD I'M COMING FOR YOU
jk

But didn't Dan say during Comic Con this year specifically about kickstarter that they didn't need it for a movie because the movie would probably be insanely cheap for Sony to make? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Yeah a movie is essentially four episodes. Unless it's about blowing up stuff in Europe, should cost under 5mil

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
At this point, that's all I really want. A short 13 episode 6th season and a movie, either made for TV or theatrical, with a final finale and the show can get put to rest having lived a mostly awesome life.

I bet if it were theatrical, the fans would easily make back its budget and more.

Out of curiosity, how much does an episode cost to make? I'd be curious to see the amounts each episode cost from the start when they were still allowed outside to now where they're stuck in a studio. Dan was notorious for going over budget for the hell of it just to make the episode work his way. He's mentioned it in a few commentaries. They spent so much more than Sony wanted them to numerous times.

Anyone know if season 5 still has the same "Can't film outside the studio" restriction? It's a real shame because it makes seasons 1 and 2 a lot different looking from 3 and 4.

Mariolee

At this point, that's all I really want. A short 13 episode 6th season and a movie, either made for TV or theatrical, with a final finale and the show can get put to rest having lived a mostly awesome life.

I bet if it were theatrical, the fans would easily make back its budget and more.

Out of curiosity, how much does an episode cost to make? I'd be curious to see the amounts each episode cost from the start when they were still allowed outside to now where they're stuck in a studio. Dan was notorious for going over budget for the hell of it just to make the episode work his way. He's mentioned it in a few commentaries. They spent so much more than Sony wanted them to numerous times.

Anyone know if season 5 still has the same "Can't film outside the studio" restriction? It's a real shame because it makes seasons 1 and 2 a lot different looking from 3 and 4.

Not sure about how much it costs to produce a single episode, but I do believe that the no filming outside restriction is still in place for Season 5 unfortunately. They're just recycling old outside shots of Greendale for the commercials/possibly the episodes.

OnPoint

How disappointing. I miss them being able to go outside. Scenes like Vaughn playing guitar or them walking to the KFC Spaceship seemed so trivial at the time, or the whole parking lot boat episode, but now I really miss them.

gabbo

How disappointing. I miss them being able to go outside. Scenes like Vaughn playing guitar or them walking to the KFC Spaceship seemed so trivial at the time, or the whole parking lot boat episode, but now I really miss them.

Yep.
Was it just too costly to film at that actual college campus? Wish Harmon would just guerrilla that shit in some how. Pack the cast into his car, grab a couple cameras and just get them walking.

OnPoint

Yep.
Was it just too costly to film at that actual college campus? Wish Harmon would just guerrilla that shit in some how. Pack the cast into his car, grab a couple cameras and just get them walking.

If The Hobbit can use a Go Pro, why not Community?

gabbo

If The Hobbit can use a Go Pro, why not Community?

I really need to see the Hobbit part2 soon, as this partially goes over my head.
Also, I really do think that's the kind of thing Harmon would not let go of once he set his mind to it.

Elija2

I just watched the Intro to Political Science episode and I noticed that they mention something that's appearing in a Season 5 episode:
The Ass-Crack Bandit. Three years later and he's still at large!

gabbo

I just watched the Intro to Political Science episode and I noticed that they mention something that's appearing in a Season 5 episode:
The Ass-Crack Bandit. Three years later and he's still at large!

Weird continuity jokes are something they do well. eg Beetlejuice

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Isn't the reason they can't film outside for insurance reasons? Because it makes no sense that it'd be cheaper for Sony to keep them inside where they need to spend money to build new sets instead of letting them go out on location where the set is already built.

beat

Isn't the reason they can't film outside for insurance reasons? Because it makes no sense that it'd be cheaper for Sony to keep them inside where they need to spend money to build new sets instead of letting them go out on location where the set is already built.

Building sets (or really, redecorating the cafeteria) might well be cheaper than going on location.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really need to catch up. I think I stopped watching halfway through season 3, and still have that and season 4 backed up on my TiVo. Hopefully it comes to the UK fairly quickly

VanWinkle

Can't film outside? That's crazy. It's actually weird to think how many outside shots there were in season 1. I have been watching it the past couple of days and I actually kind of miss the format the show had then, despite previously thinking it was the worst of the three seasons.

Pryce

They filmed that (season 1) on the campus of an actual community college. Los Angeles City College, to be exact. Which I believe is within a 20 minute drive of where they film the study room.

I've noticed that they've gone from shooting on campus in season 1, to on the Paramount lot in season 2, to just indoor shots in season 3-4. Smaller budget, I'd imagine. I can really get distracting, though. like when Jeff visited his father last year the only thing I could see was how it was filmed on a set.

VanWinkle

They filmed that (season 1) on the campus of an actual community college. Los Angeles City College, to be exact. Which I believe is within a 20 minute drive of where they film the study room.

I've noticed that they've gone from shooting on campus in season 1, to on the Paramount lot in season 2, to just indoor shots in season 3-4. Smaller budget, I'd imagine. I can really get distracting, though. like when Jeff visited his father last year the only thing I could see was how it was filmed on a set.

Hmm that's really interesting. I did notice the lighting was really different when I went from a season 1 episode straight to a season 3 one. In fact, I even told my brother who I was watching with that it seemed more like set lighting or something.

Pryce

Hmm that's really interesting. I did notice the lighting was really different when I went from a season 1 episode straight to a season 3 one. In fact, I even told my brother who I was watching with that it seemed more like set lighting or something.

The pilot episode study room? That's an actual study room at the LA City College. If you notice, the pilot study room looks like it's on the second story, where as the 2nd episode study room is obviously on the first floor.

gabbo

I always noticed it when they tried to film 'outside' in later seasons, the angles and lighting make it obvious theyre using a set.

inm8num2

If it's good enough for the cast, it's good enough for us.

It was apparently Gillian Jacobs' idea. I remember them saying so in a random interview.

I'm probably annoying people by referencing it almost daily, though. Don't mean to do that - just happy that we're almost at the start of a new season.

Anderson

n7dJb.gif

Can't wait, haven't read any spoilers or reviews, reward me Dan Harmon!

- Poniewozik: Community Is Back!
But whatever he’s doing in season five, premiering tonight on NBC, it makes a huge difference. In the three episodes sent to critics in advance, Community sounds like itself again. There’s the sharp dialogue and community-college bizarreness, but also the exhilarating sense of everything teetering just on this side of falling apart, but holding together. There’s the referential and meta humor, but also the darkness and emotion that grounded the show at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom