• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community S5 |OT| From the Executive Producer of Community Seasons 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstripes

Banned
Would that still apply now that it's not a broadcast show and part of a streaming "service"?

I asked them, and the reply I got seems to indicate they hold the streaming rights for it.

Hi, thanks for your interest in Community, we love it to! We don’t currently have plans for it on the schedule, but as soon as we do the fans will be the first to know all the ways to watch it on air, online &on the City video app for free.

curb

Banned
I asked them, and the reply I got seems to indicate they hold the streaming rights for it.

Well that's a bummer.

Edit: seems like they're just asking for fans to not watch it on their channel/service then since we'll likely just use one of the many methods of circumventing the region lockout.

jstripes

Banned
Well that's a bummer.

Edit: seems like they're just asking for fans to not watch it on their channel/service then since we'll likely just use one of the many methods of circumventing the region lockout.

They'd be stupid not to do a simultaneous release, simply for that reason.

Netflix and Hulu aside, all these online streaming platforms are so clunky.

curb

Banned
They'd be stupid not to do a simultaneous release, simply for that reason.

Netflix and Hulu aside, all these online streaming platforms are so clunky.

City should at least stream it at the same time even if they plan on actually airing them at some point later.

Philippo

Maybe you guys can help me, i've been looking for a track from the series, it's sorts of a happy piano chime, they usually use it for the cute/happy ending moments, but now that i'm looking for it i can't neither find it on YT or give you an episodes that uses it as an example for you lol

curb

Banned
Maybe you guys can help me, i've been looking for a track from the series, it's sorts of a happy piano chime, they usually use it for the cute/happy ending moments, but now that i'm looking for it i can't neither find it on YT or give you an episodes that uses it as an example for you lol

Have you tried the show composer's YouTube channel?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Surely Yahoo! is aware of the popularity and has made sure that the show gets a wide simultaneous release worldwide. Otherwise people will just pirate it and they'll lose revenue. They'd be stupid not to.

Then again it is a corporation and the important decisions are probably by people with half a brain cell. "Money money money. Costs too much. No release in that country. What's the worst that will happen?" Oh I dunno, maybe they'll just download it for free instead.

Guess we'll find out in time. March isn't that far off now relatively.

Mariolee

So to catch you guys up to speed, Yahoo has been doing Community recaps for each season every Tuesday, and yesterday when they posted the second season recap something peculiar happened...

It is indeed in the video and I got an email and sent my address. Never been a part of one of these so I'm excited!

Slevin

So to catch you guys up to speed, Yahoo has been doing Community recaps for each season every Tuesday, and yesterday when they posted the second season recap something peculiar happened...

It is indeed in the video and I got an email and sent my address. Never been a part of one of these so I'm excited!

Even though it's in the official video and the Community twitter confirmed it, I was nervous as hell responding to that email, haha. Really interesting, thanks for posting that Mariolee.

So I've only ever watched the first few episodes of this 3 years ago.

Decided to watch the first two episodes just now and just wow. It's so good. I don't think I appreciated it during my original watch.

In episode 2 the scene with the Spanish presentation was supposed to make me laugh right? It actually nearly made me cry because of how nice it was of lawyer guy to sacrifice his reputation just to make the old guy feel happy.

I think I'm going to be watching this show more for the feels than the laughs.

Real Hero

In episode 2 the scene with the Spanish presentation was supposed to make me laugh right? It actually nearly made me cry because of how nice it was of lawyer guy to sacrifice his reputation just to make the old guy feel happy.
I think you are going to love this show. At least the first 3 seasons.

gabbo

So I've only ever watched the first few episodes of this 3 years ago.

Decided to watch the first two episodes just now and just wow. It's so good. I don't think I appreciated it during my original watch.

I think I'm going to be watching this show more for the feels than the laughs.

You're in for a rollercoaster ride.

Mariolee

So remember that ARG email from a week ago:

Diane
Jan 27 (7 days ago)

to me
Thanks for your message. I'm OOO with limited access to email until 3/17, but assume you're in touch about the mallard farm, Hermione cameo, pillar installation invoice, or my matchmaking consultants fee. Very well.

Please respond by email, verifying your "name" and "title" in the format below.
Name: LastName, FirstName
Title: The Magic 8 Ball Incarnate (this is just an example)

Please also include your mailing address, or ask a tricky question only I would know the answer to. (And then confirm your mailing address.)

We will be sure to deliver what is rightfully yours... when the time is right.

So a follow up to that email. My message:

[Name]
Title: [My title

Mailing Address: [Mailing Address]
How many people die from vending machines a decade?
Reconfirming mailing address: [Mailing Address]

And she replied just today coinciding with the release of the third season recap:

[Name],

Thank you for your confirmation. And apologies for the late response.

As for your question, somewhere on the order of 28 and Reply hazy try again.

I replied back...

28 seems about right. What do you mean hazy try again?

And got this automated email back...

Diane
8:28 PM (22 hours ago)

to me
Thank you for your correspondence. I'll be back in the office on 3/17 and shall have intermittent Internet access until my return.

Should you have concerns about a bonsai order, the professionalism of our IT staff, a levothoid prescription, or the restock of our Iberian Furbies (in progress), please voice them. And elaborate. I shall advise.

(Unless you are an employee of Madame Tussauds, in which case, we have nothing to discuss.)

Diane

Ps. In case you were curious, things here have been grand.

What is going on?

Other redditors got custom replies too.

Are they still in the process of filming? I wouldn't put it past them to include the content of some of the emails they've received in the show if so.

Lijik

So remember that ARG email from a week ago:

So a follow up to that email. My message:

And she replied just today coinciding with the release of the third season recap:

I replied back...

And got this automated email back...

What is going on?

Other redditors got custom replies too.

Havent gotten a followup yet, but I just remembered my question was a reference to Twin Peaks. I hope the person in charge of these catches it because it probably comes off as bizarre without the context of Dale Cooper

Mariolee

Community Season 4 recap from Yahoo! And more ARG stuff from today!

Your message is important to me and I hope to respond upon return to the office on 3/17.

#TSTaskForce6: Your intel has been instrumental - I’ve decoded the anagrammatic titles, triangulated the addresses, and (per your approbation) successfully reenlisted all rogue peninsular Furbies.

We’re close.

By my assessment, we’ll have it in one week. I shall encrypt and prepare for internal distribution. Pay attention to the breadcrumbs and on 2/17, after 9:36am ET: Email me.

Please confirm.

Diane

Ps. For the record, 12,637 is a cakewalk.

I finally saw season 4 and 5. Season 4 was pretty weak and season 5 was atrocious

The series peaked at season 2 and should have ended at 3. It became a joke after that, and sorry but being meta and making fun of your own show doesn't make it funny. The gimmick episodes (paint ball, documentary...) really got played out once they became so common.

Also, Britta is such a horrible character

WGMBY

I finally saw season 4 and 5. Season 4 was pretty weak and season 5 was atrocious

The series peaked at season 2 and should have ended at 3. It became a joke after that, and sorry but being meta and making fun of your own show doesn't make it funny. The gimmick episodes (paint ball, documentary...) really got played out once they became so common.

I'm not really sure what to say, other than I guess other people have different sensibilities. I personally like S3 the best, followed by 5, 2, 1, and 4 (which I had difficulty even sitting through). Guess we're just into different humor?

You thought season 4 was better than 5? Lol. The gimmick episodes are what makes Community so great. Season 2 is the best of the bunch, but season 3 and 5 is still better than most shows that air nowadays.

You thought season 4 was better than 5? Lol. The gimmick episodes are what makes Community so great. Season 2 is the best of the bunch, but season 3 and 5 is still better than most shows that air nowadays.

Season 5 episodes were just so boring, what else can they do at this point? Jeff as a teacher, ok, but they only had one show that was interesting with this new role of his.

I'll check out the new season because I am a fan overall, but it definitely fell off. Hopefully it rebounds, I'm rooting for it

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Personally I think they go overboard with the gimmick episodes. And season 4 was a victim of that. Season 5 kept it going for some reason. It's been like this ever since the timeline episode became the biggest thing ever. Now all they do is gimmicks. I liked when season 1 and 2 would do an occasional gimmick, and when they did they were pretty tame. Season 3 just took it too far and they can't come back. I don't know if they could even come back if they wanted to. Season 6 will probably be the same as 3, 4 and 5. There wasn't enough time to show Jeff as a teacher, which was supposed to be the big deal, because they had too many gimmick episodes.

And I'll still watch every single one.

Contemporary American Poultry still remains my favorite gimmick episode. (Timeline is amazing though) Just enough gimmick but still grounded in "reality".

Basically the show is one big Flanderization. But I still love it.

And I still love season 4.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've been meaning to do a list of my favorites. I mean I might as well. Probably when I get around to my next marathon before season 6 starts.

Linius

Yeah, I wanted to list my favourites but I'm on my phone now. So from the top of mind there's the paintball episodes. Three I think. Pillows and blankets. The hot lava game for troy. And the one with the meow meow app. The 8 bit episode. Abeds uncontrollable Christmas. The one about debating with POP POP. The darkest timeline episode of course. And there's more that I can't think of now. I think I can easily come up with a top 20 after a rewatch. I don't think there's any other comedy that lets me remember specific episodes so well as community.

blamite

WPrSv.gif

Joni

The gimmick episodes are only good because they are spared out. It allows Harmon to put more time into them. Season 5 overloads on them, weakening the impact of each one while allowing the Community team to put less time in their actual characters. It is something the season 4 producers understood, but Harmon didn't in 5.

The gimmick episodes are only good because they are spared out. It allows Harmon to put more time into them. Season 5 overloads on them, weakening the impact of each one while allowing the Community team to put less time in their actual characters. It is something the season 4 producers understood, but Harmon didn't in 5.

I think he flew a little too close to the sun with trying to combine the character beats of the slower episodes with the gimmick premises. Maybe an adjustment to the reduced episode order?

Mariolee

From the Community Facebook:

YfrNfgG.jpg

On another note, what is the rule of posting new |OT| for show? Is it like a week beforehand or what?

Hamlet

From the Community Facebook:

YfrNfgG.jpg

On another note, what is the rule of posting new |OT| for show? Is it like a week beforehand or what?
Looking good.
Really looking forward to seeing what Britta's parents are like.
Pretty sure its still the same as always, so a week beforehand. The new changes only affected the gaming OT's.

Boem

I'm very happy with my girlfriend and I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with her, but man, if Gillian Jacobs ever came knocking on my door... Let's just say it'd be a tough call.

Team Britta, from day one until forever.

gabbo

I'm very happy with my girlfriend and I'm ready to spend the rest of my life with her, but man, if Gillian Jacobs ever came knocking on my door... Let's just say it'd be a tough call.

Hells yeah. Bagels for everybody!

Mariolee

Offscreen shot of Season 6 with bottle of lotion

B92bOG2CYAE6VuK.jpg

Dat hair bah gawd.

Room looks really dark too, hmm. I thought they were going for a more natural Season 1 feel. Can't really judge until a solid trailer comes out.

Derpyduck

Banned

I'm a huge fan of the show, and I wish I could disagree with him. I can't. Season 5 is not good. It has some great moments, but as a season of TV goes, it was pretty damn awful, and I felt kinda bad telling some friends that it was a reboot of the show and they should give it a chance. Suffice it to say, they didn't last long before they stopped watching.

Pryce

YEY!

The show looks really dark in that screen cap.

Lijik

Room looks really dark too, hmm. I thought they were going for a more natural Season 1 feel. Can't really judge until a solid trailer comes out.

It could be due to an offscreen pic but if it isnt is anyone really surprised the third or fourth iteration "we goin back to the feel of season 1!" didnt pan out

blamite

Offscreen shot of Season 6 with bottle of lotion

B92bOG2CYAE6VuK.jpg

Dat hair bah gawd.

I don't know if it looks overall darker, but the lighting in this shot does have a really different feel. Like the light on the back wall, I don't recall there ever being that kind of "natural" lighting coming in through the windows before? And the table looks really shiny too.

I'm starting to get excited! Never thought I'd be watching a new season of Community a month from now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom