• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I doubt NBC wants to lose the most well known actor in it's cast. Even if he and Harmon hate each other.

The problem with Community is that it apparently doesn't really reach outside of the cult following it has already...and losing Chevy wouldn't bother most of us (any of us?) at all. Typically Pierce is the worst character on the show with the least funny gags or lines or anything.

If he went away, I'd be totally fine with it. If he was going to pull anyone into the show he would have done it already, wouldn't he?

kai3345

Banned
The problem with Community is that it apparently doesn't really reach outside of the cult following it has already...and losing Chevy wouldn't bother most of us (any of us?) at all. Typically Pierce is the worst character on the show with the least funny gags or lines or anything.

If he went away, I'd be totally fine with it. If he was going to pull anyone into the show he would have done it already, wouldn't he?

pretty much. besides Donald Glover is probably bringing in more viewers into the show now from Gambino fans alone than Chevy is.

Salaadin

TMZ posted some more info on the feud:
http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/03/community-dan-harmon-chevy-chase/#.T3swX6tumSo

We're told Chase objected to the scene ... but Harmon says he stuck to his guns because he had an emotional attachment to the material.

Chevy walked off the set ... but according to Harmon, Chase eventually sent Dan a text message in an effort to smooth things over.

Harmon didn't accept the apology ... telling the Harmontown crowd, "I said f**k you ... you breached your contract, you're an a**hole."

Rewatching season one and two made me appreciate Pierce a little more. Most of his jokes revolved around being old or something racist/homophobic, but he did have some good poignant moments. He actually works very well as a reluctant antagonist.

In season one, Chang was the primary antagonist of the group because he was the teacher and in a position of power. But when Chang was stripped of his power, he became the annoying guy the group didn't really particularly want around but tolerated anyway, which was the role Pierce played in the first season. And so to fill that gap, Pierce switched roles with Chang and ended up the primary antagonist for the second season. As much as Pierce was hated, the penultimate episode of season two wouldn't have been as awesome as it had been if Pierce hadn't been a character in the group.

Pierce may not get very funny gags or lines, but he still sets up situations that allow the other characters to blossom and show off, so he's kind of needed.

Flatline

Banned
I still find it hard to believe this isn't a prank, it seems too surreal. Btw I think they're both immature assholes, the situation is so bad because they both kept escalating the feud.

CzarTim

I still find it hard to believe this isn't a prank, it seems too surreal. Btw I think they're both immature assholes, the situation is so bad because they both kept escalating the feud.
I think it's because the press is tying several separate instances into one story to make it sexy.

Veezy

que?

Did I miss the line that said:

"Also, so that it's clear, Chevy I'm sorry I pulled a dick move for a laugh. I know we go back and forth at times, but that was wrong and disrespectful. I'm genuinely sorry for my actions and I hope you can forgive me."

Like, I get he wants to apologize to the fans of the show but we're not the ones that could walk of set and cause an issue for future seasons.

"Also, so that it's clear, Chevy I'm sorry I pulled a dick move for a laugh. I know we go back and forth at times, but that was wrong and disrespectful. I'm genuinely sorry for my actions and I hope you can forgive me."

Like, I get he wants to apologize to the fans of the show but we're not the ones that could walk of set and cause an issue for future seasons.

He probably isn't allowed directly address the issue- so this was the best way he had of apologizing without apologizing.

jonezer4

He apologized to fans of the show through a public venue designed to reach them.

There are better ways for him to apologize to Chevy Chase (or not) than through tumblr.

i hate it when sitcoms do the old switcheroo...

Community is the perfect show though to take this idea and poke fun at it through something ridiculous.

big ander

You did miss that line because you missed the point of the blog post. None of that post is made to directly address the feud and what went on. It's to explain why Dan thinks stuff like this happens to him and to apologize to fans of the show for his faults.

Veezy

que?
You did miss that line because you missed the point of the blog post. None of that post is made to directly address the feud and what went on. It's to explain why Dan thinks stuff like this happens to him and to apologize to fans of the show for his faults.

Werd. I got the main point. I just didn't think that apologizing to the fan base, without saying he has taken care of the issue on his end, was really necessary.

Then again, I'm not the write of a comedy sitcom with an incredibly famous comedic actor that I personally offended, so I may have a skewed opinion.

You missed it because you didn't read closely enough.

"I always accept the risk that a well-intending fan will upload clips and something scandalous will break wide, but the giant mistake I made was involving someone else in that game of russian roulette, someone that didn’t have an opportunity to say “yeah, hilarious, let’s do this.” That was a dumb, unclassy, inconsiderate move on my part. I’m very sorry it’s reflecting poorly on the show."

He apologized in a very roundabout way but the message is crystal clear.

big ander

Werd. I got the main point. I just didn't think that apologizing to the fan base, without saying he has taken care of the issue on his end, was really necessary.

Then again, I'm not the write of a comedy sitcom with an incredibly famous comedic actor that I personally offended, so I may have a skewed opinion.
I mean, it's not necessary, but you have to admire it.

The feud is between him and Chevy. It stays there. Dragging any of the actual dealing of the feud out himself would be vindictive and cheap. Just apologizing to fans, who now have one more reason to worry about their beloved show, seems worthwhile.

Salaadin

Old?

http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/04/chevy-chase-dan-harmon-video-voicemail/#.T3zUUKuL0sI

When we mentioned Dan's name, Chevy quipped, "Who's that?" He later added, "I don't know who you're talking about ... I really don't."

Eventually, Chase did address the voice mail attack ... telling us, "I think that was the WRONG thing to say at the time ... NO, it was the RIGHT thing to say ... at the time."

Chase later said the situation had "been handled" ... adding, "I don't have anything to say about this stuff ... we got comedy to make."

big ander

This is kind of perfect and hilarious. Seems like Chevy doesn't actually care that much about the whole thing. He truly just wants to make the show. Awesome.
What Chevy says about saying Dan wasn't funny was the "right thing at the time" is actually decent justification. They both said some things and it seems to have blown over.

EDIT: to the above: he told those fans he was just tipping first and then the video cut off. maybe he took a picture right after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom