• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Community Season 3 |OT| Six Seasons and a Movie... feels Goodman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Just finished Season 1. Introduction to Statistics (Halloween ep), Beginner Pottery and Contemporary American Poultry (Goodfellas) were awesome episodes. Some others were forgettable. The rest was good. The show has some likable characters and strong production values, though, so I'd always keep watching.

The dean sucks, though. Repetitive, irritating character. I'm hoping that they kill him off for season 2 and bring in another dean.

And the show relies too much on pop culture references... although that's often when it's most inspired. Same with Jeff. The love angle stuff (really? Annie, too?) is always low-quality, but when they're making Jeff look bad/weak the show suddenly shines.

AniHawk

Just finished Season 1. Introduction to Statistics (Halloween ep), Beginner Pottery and Contemporary American Poultry (Goodfellas) were awesome episodes. Some others were forgettable. The rest was good. The show has some likable characters and strong production values, though, so I'd always keep watching.

The dean sucks, though. Repetitive, irritating character. I'm hoping that they kill him off for season 2 and bring in another dean.

And the show relies too much on pop culture references... although that's often when it's most inspired. Same with Jeff. The love angle stuff (really? Annie, too?) is always low-quality, but when they're making Jeff look bad/weak the show suddenly shines.

if you didn't like pop culture references, you better brace yourself for season 2.

rekameohs

Banned
If you hate the references and the dean, you might want to bail out. Season 2 and 3 do show the "Jeff looking bad" angle quite often, however, both explicit and subtle, and I think it works out great as well.

If you liked the parody episodes, there's some really good ones as well. Apollo 13 and Law & Order episodes come to mind.

malfcn

Was it this season or last season that Abed had some bios pop up for the characters? Can't remember if it was just his Terminator vision or another graphic.

beat

Was it this season or last season that Abed had some bios pop up for the characters? Can't remember if it was just his Terminator vision or another graphic.

Maybe the elections episode from season 2? The student TV news channel had profiles for some of the candidates.

They can't go more than 15 seconds without a pop culture reference in Season 1. It couldn't possibly get any worse.

Someone's riding the HURRRRR train.

Hurr_train.jpg

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Seriously waiting for the Community episode where the gang visits the sets of NBC and cameos in all of the shows Galifinakis style.
I'd love that. I'd also settle for just one or two characters at a time in every show the entire week including being guest stars on.. ugh.. Leno and Fallon.

Just inexplicably there as their actual characters (As opposed to Danny being on Cougartown but not actually playing Abed.) in the background of a scene.

They'd have to set it up well ahead of time though in order to have it all happen at once. But knowing NBC, it'd be fucked up royally when they delay or move episodes around.

NBC used to be great. Remember Blackout week? When all their NYC-based shows on the same night had blackout episodes. Friends and Mad About You. Even Fox did it right last season with their McFarlane shows all having hurricanes. Fox could have easily screwed that up.

NBC: Last Place and We Know It!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I got my Season 3 DVD's. Am currently watching the outtakes and other special features before I marathon them this week.

Season 4 where are you??? The longer NBC delays it, the longer before DVD's come out.

I wonder. I assume this season had some seasonal episodes. It's gonna suck when we're watching Halloween and Christmas episodes in the spring.

gabbo

I got my Season 3 DVD's. Am currently watching the outtakes and other special features before I marathon them this week.

Season 4 where are you??? The longer NBC delays it, the longer before DVD's come out.

I wonder. I assume this season had some seasonal episodes. It's gonna suck when we're watching Halloween and Christmas episodes in the spring.

After last season's hiatus, i've given up on the 'it fits the school calendar' aspect, unless they use this time to incorporate little blurbs about the lost time.

mclem

After last season's hiatus, i've given up on the 'it fits the school calendar' aspect, unless they use this time to incorporate little blurbs about the lost time.
There's a way I mentioned for the hiatus which would just about make things work: Have the Dean have to close Greendale for a period for fumigation or something, so the characters get one month off (or whatever) off - but when they come back, the Dean insists on them continuing to go through the entire year just offset a bit, so maybe they'll have Halloween in February.

There's a lot of scope for gags on that front... if everyone involved were to know about it in advance.

gabbo

There's a way I mentioned for the hiatus which would just about make things work: Have the Dean have to close Greendale for a period for fumigation or something, so the characters get one month off (or whatever) off - but when they come back, the Dean insists on them continuing to go through the entire year just offset a bit, so maybe they'll have Halloween in February.

There's a lot of scope for gags on that front... if everyone involved were to know about it in advance.

We're of one mind about this ;)

bndadm

That's...I'm sorry, but that's genius. <tips elegant top hat>

beat

Gillian Jacobs did an episode of Sundance's The Mortified Sessions. She's in the second half of the episode with Marc Maron. The show is basically about celebs pulling out childhood photos and journals and explaining what dorks they were, as I vaguely understand it.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
So what does that mean for a potential pickup (back nine, or another season) by airing that late? Is all hope lost on that front?

Wonder how many seasonal episodes they've done this season. Oh well, glad it's finally getting an air date! And they're putting it on during sweeps, not just sluffing it off in mid December (hello last season of Chuck) so maybe there's a chance for renewal still.

Link

The Autumn Wind
But it could still be renewed, if the stars align and the apocalypse occurs leaving only the cast of community alive?
As disappointed as I am that there won't be a back 9, I still feel they should wrap it up this year. The whole each season = one school year format works well, and I'd rather they not come up with something to extend the show beyond that premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom