• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Company of Heroes 2 |OT| The Motherland is Calling - [Western Front Armies out now]

I think right now, there is better game play balance...soviet is strong if you are good in micro and aggressively harassing, but that is not an easy skill to pick up so it balances out.
Yeah, this was kind of my point. I agree that Russians aren't properly balanced at the moment, TekGryphon; I watched that same tournament and it was clear from those results that that was the case, and I don't think anyone's arguing otherwise. But at the moment, the balance is good enough for most levels of play that I wouldn't by any means say the game is broken. I have faith that things will be fixed before absolute Russian dominance will trickle down to lower levels of play.

Also, because it's actually OK right now (weren't final beta stats 49% / 51 % win rates for the factions), I'm of the mind that I'd rather they get it right even if it takes a bit longer, rather than rush a fix only to create other bigger problems.

TaroYamada

I can dodge them as long as I catch them in time. The no-countdown to explosion though means that if I don't catch the windup and am too distracted I just hammer T. I've lost three Panzergrenadiers to a single molotov though, which seems a bit excessive for an anti-infantry grenade with no countdown.

The conscripts weren't shooting at you too? That surprises me, I've not had as much success with molotovs and they've always seemed a waste to me given how quickly I've watched players dodge them/walk away from their fire in matches thus far.

but in the beta, the russians were pretty weak once the game gets to mechanized phase. Did people discover the halftrack sniper start strat?

Sethos

Banned
but in the beta, the russians were pretty weak once the game gets to mechanized phase. Did people discover the halftrack sniper start strat?

That's not what makes them strong starters, I see a lot of people starting with machine gun crews to hold off the Germans. The sniper halftrack thing can be good but it's not as powerful due to the low RoF and the fact that you can damage the halftrack quite easily.

Even that crazy game posted a few pages back, he built like 5-6 MG crews? They are super strong and can be built from the get-go.

Dawg

Anyone tried the free Sonic racing game for the weekend?

The CoH2 character is pretty funny (and it plays the CoH2 music when you reach first place)

gcs7i.jpg

TaroYamada

Anyone tried the free Sonic racing game for the weekend?

The CoH2 character is pretty funny (and it plays the CoH2 music when you reach first place)

I own it and at that price ($7.50) any self-respecting fan of arcade or kart racers should too, the game is packed with content + free DLC? I like to support business models like that, DLC used to be free.

Greatest kart racer ever once you learn the intricacies of the drift mechanic, forcing Mario Kart to step up its game. Also, yes, General Winter fucking rocks and so does the Shogun 2 racer.

TychoCelchuuu

Neo Member
The balance issues don't really show in the stats from the beta, 51% of matches were won by Ostheer. I agree balance issues exist but Relic should take their time with changes, I don't want too many too fast, I'd prefer they get it as close to perfect as they can with the first patch.
51% win rate for Ostheer means literally nothing, because the game isn't balanced when both sides win equally, it's balanced when equally good players from both sides win equally. So if, for example, Ostheer win 51% of the games, but those games are mostly against terrible Soviet players, whereas Soviets win 49% of the games but they win against good Ostheer players even if the Soviet player isn't quite as good, then the game is messed up.

Which is not to say the balance is or isn't messed up overall. Russians are obviously OP at the highest levels but for the average player it might be more like 50/50 for all I know.

TaroYamada

51% win rate for Ostheer means literally nothing, because the game isn't balanced when both sides win equally, it's balanced when equally good players from both sides win equally. So if, for example, Ostheer win 51% of the games, but those games are mostly against terrible Soviet players, whereas Soviets win 49% of the games but they win against good Ostheer players even if the Soviet player isn't quite as good, then the game is messed up.

Which is not to say the balance is or isn't messed up overall. Russians are obviously OP at the highest levels but for the average player it might be more like 50/50 for all I know.

I already said there were balance issues, I watched all of TFN, for high level play especially there are balance issues. However the 51% rate does implicate that there's a somewhat even spread of wins and it goes without saying that most players aren't pro, they're noob-quality such as myself. So it does have to be taken into consideration, as Quinn Duffy said in that recent coh2.org interview:

Some of our balance designers were in the competition. And the community put together some really good data for the various games that we’ll use to look at. I know the maxim of balancing for the pros is tossed around a lot, but balance changes at the pro level can have a really big impact on the casual base. So we’ll dig into our metrics and see where the balance is based on skill

Also from my personal experience as a poor-average scale player, playing against people I know who are in a similar range to me from CoH1, it's pretty even outside of the clown car/6 man crews. Mostly the clown car, as it provides a definite early game advantage regardless of skill level.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Guys, I have never played Company of Heroes and not good at RTS games but me and my friend play Blitzkrieg 2 on LAN regularly.

So would you recommend COH2 as a good co-op game? We know nothing about this game and we won't play SP so we need some co-op action to get the hang of things before jumping into versus.

longdi

Banned
Guys, I have never played Company of Heroes and not good at RTS games but me and my friend play Blitzkrieg 2 on LAN regularly.

So would you recommend COH2 as a good co-op game? We know nothing about this game and we won't play SP so we need some co-op action to get the hang of things before jumping into versus.

yes. coh2 is pretty good. well less good if u are using nvidia gpu and a dual core cpu.
there is also coh1, it gets pretty cheap these days...buy both.

TaroYamada

I love CoH, the main form of co-op is comp stomps in CoH1 and that's great fun/practice. In CoH2 there are some missions oriented around co-op in Theater of War as well as comp stomp, one of them, Brody Tank War is super fun.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I think the OP raises a few fair points.

The fact is that games are changing. CoH was made in an era where a company released a game, then went off to do the next product. Even so we continually patched the game, kept it up-to-date and were even adjusting balance based on community feedback years after the last expansion pack had been released.

Of course our record wasn't perfect, but I'd certainly hold it up against any other studio and be proud with our commitment to what we did to support fans on the game. The fact that it's still a game with a very large player base is a testement to that.

These days everyone talks about "games as a service". It's the industry buzzword and part of that is DLC, which some people don't like. The flipside to it though is that it means that there's a much greater focus on the game between launch and whatever comes next. Rather than launching a game then rushing off to work on another product a live team will be working on the game constantly to improve it much more vigoursly.

So far between the Beta and today we've done an extensive amount of patching. Checking out our Changelog shows how many patches we've done: community.companyofheroes.com/forums/company-of-heroes-2-discussion/topics/CoH-2-Changelog

We've done two since launch which was just over a week ago, and we have one planned for next week.

Now that's not going to mean that if you start a thread demanding that unit X gets a nerf it'll be nerfed in a week. The fact is that with balance for everyone who says X needs a nerf there's almost an equal number of people who say that Y needs a nerf and X needs a buff. We have a talented team of balance designers who will take in community feedback, and then make decisions based off of that and their own experiences as well as in-game metrics.

Ultimately I think it's fair to judge us on how we perform. As I say I think we've done well in the past, but we can do better.

- Noun: Relic Entertainment

http://community.companyofheroes.co...ir-horrendous-QA-history-The-clock-is-ticking

TaroYamada

Commander DLC is crap and they should just roll whatever DLC they have planned into an expansion pack, I miss when we got expansion packs and anything smaller was free.

Would you agree that the patching / updating has been pretty good so far? Maybe more community interaction / balance reasoning would be appreciated, but I think there's been a steady stream of updates regarding the balance.

As for breaking the game, it's certainly not something anyone tries to do :) Don't jinx it!

Patching was good while money was still on the table and pre-orders could be cancelled.

Relic was decent with patching the original Company of Heroes back in beta as well.

That didn't stop them from becoming one of, if not the, least reliable post-release developers of a successful RTS game. Almost every patch they critically broke something and each time it took them 6-12 months to fix it, even if all the fix required was changing a "1" to a "2.5", as was the case with Infantry Doctrine's Off Map Artillery which pretty much killed the multiplayer community.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah I recall the Tyranids in DOW2 being OP for so long without a patch that the community was kind of killed too. At least everyone I knew stopped playing because every game involved being swarmed by hormagaunts and warriors that could travel instantly around the map in ravener burrows.

Relic do seem to have a habit of building really great games with cool mechanics and then shitting the bed by including one ridiculously OP feature.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yeah I recall the Tyranids in DOW2 being OP for so long without a patch that the community was kind of killed too. At least everyone I knew stopped playing because every game involved being swarmed by hormagaunts and warriors that could travel instantly around the map in ravener burrows.

Relic do seem to have a habit of building really great games with cool mechanics and then shitting the bed by including one ridiculously OP feature.

As an Eldar player, I still lament the nerf on Banshees. They used to completely destroy everything so bad. Being able to knock down retreating units was the most hilarious shit ever.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Anyone up for some games later? PM me with your Steam ID (or post it in the thread) and I'll add you to my friends list.

Sethos

Banned
Are there Theater of War missions other than 1941? Do I just have to complete all 1941 missions to unlock them, or what?

I think that's the main bulk of ToW. 3 x 3 scenarios ( Co-op, Solo, Challenge ) for each side in 1941, with percentages counting bronze, silver and gold medals. However the interface and setup looks like it could be expanded which I suspect is the plan.

TaroYamada

I think that's the main bulk of ToW. 3 x 3 scenarios ( Co-op, Solo, Challenge ) for each side in 1941, with percentages counting bronze, silver and gold medals. However the interface and setup looks like it could be expanded which I suspect is the plan.

Yeah, I see the rest of it being filled out via an expansion or DLC.

Sethos

Banned
So, has anyone got any solid German starting tips? Soviets it's just blast out MGs and hold everything off, get an AT or two and then an armour of choice = Win. However I'm completely lost with the Germans. Grenadiers seem piss week even versus conscripts, snipers just aren't that powerful any more and requires too much babysitting - Their MG crews while powerful with a big cone of fire are great but only a 3-man crew, they go down so easily. Next step is the scout car that dies to Maxim fire and by the time you get a flame halftrack out a decent Soviet player has plenty of AT. Garrison any of your units and they will get burned out in a second by molotovs.

The Soviets are just way too overpowered right now =/

TaroYamada

So, has anyone got any solid German starting tips? Soviets it's just blast out MGs and hold everything off, get an AT or two and then an armour of choice = Win. However I'm completely lost with the Germans. Grenadiers seem piss week even versus conscripts, snipers just aren't that powerful any more and requires too much babysitting - Their MG crews while powerful with a big cone of fire are great but only a 3-man crew, they go down so easily. Next step is the scout car that dies to Maxim fire and by the time you get a flame halftrack out a decent Soviet player has plenty of AT. Garrison any of your units and they will get burned out in a second by molotovs.

Yea, it's true. I'm not sure how they can resolve it, buffing germans or nerfing soviets? Though I do think soviet support crews need to fall to 4 men instead of 6.

Icefire1424

The irorny to this discussion is that despite my best efforts, I STILL can't win as the Russians in Skirmish (well, regularly anyways, was able to get a couple victories), but win more ofthen than not as the Germans. Found it better to play them as one would the Panzer Elite - overly aggressive, and work to get the Russians back on their heels. Didn't give them any breathing room, and was able to get the Panzers on the field before the Russians were able to bring anything significant to bear. Mostly just fighting off a bunch of mortars.

...I'm assuming this is online multiplayer and not in Skirmish, correct?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The irorny to this discussion is that despite my best efforts, I STILL can't win as the Russians in Skirmish (well, regularly anyways, was able to get a couple victories), but win more ofthen than not as the Germans. Found it better to play them as one would the Panzer Elite - overly aggressive, and work to get the Russians back on their heels. Didn't give them any breathing room, and was able to get the Panzers on the field before the Russians were able to bring anything significant to bear. Mostly just fighting off a bunch of mortars.

Fighting against the AI has always been a completely different game than fighting against human players, because they'll go for completely different tactics.

Sethos

Banned
...I'm assuming this is online multiplayer and not in Skirmish, correct?

Both sort-of. AI can easily be beat however it's a lot more work with the Germans but online, most people have already found the easy-mode start strategy with Soviets and most Germans get steamrolled it seems. Obviously we're talking about people with some experience, you can still win against a poorly played Soviet of course. As someone also mentioned in the thread, on a competitive level the Soviets have far too many advantages right now.

They are like the Jack of all trades, master of most of them.

AI however is no measure of anything. They employ the same tactic all the time, they are predictable as hell and there's not much challenge outside the fact they 'cheat' ( The omnipresence and instant builds ).

Icefire1424

Fair enough. I've come to the realization that I'm basically just terrible against the AI as the Russians, which makes me exceedingly nervous to actually go online with the fear of getting my ass kicked - which may not even be a valid fear, as it's already been expressed that it's a completely different strategy. Admittedly though, I have the same problem in ALB - I'm pretty solid online, but many of the tactics I employ online are null and void against the all seeing AI.

Either way, I just need to man up and play online it would seem.

Sethos

Banned
Fair enough. I've come to the realization that I'm basically just terrible against the AI as the Russians, which makes me exceedingly nervous to actually go online with the fear of getting my ass kicked - which may not even be a valid fear, as it's already been expressed that it's a completely different strategy. Admittedly though, I have the same problem in ALB - I'm pretty solid online, but many of the tactics I employ online are null and void against the all seeing AI.

Either way, I just need to man up and play online it would seem.

Well, let's do a 1v. You as Germans and me as Soviets, see what sticks :p

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Bought this months and months ago. Came out. Haven't launched retail yet. Been playing DOTA2. Civ V expansion comes out today. Europa Universalis 4 comes out in a month. Rome 2 comes out in 2 months. I may never launch it at this point :(

AI however is no measure of anything. They employ the same tactic all the time, they are predictable as hell and there's not much challenge outside the fact they 'cheat' ( The omnipresence and instant builds ).

Has this been confirmed? It certainly feels like it, and they always seem to move your grenades, whereas there's seem to have instant explosion.

Sethos

Banned
Has this been confirmed? It certainly feels like it, and they always seem to move your grenades, whereas there's seem to have instant explosion.

Don't know about that, I was referring specifically to the omnipresence which isn't really a cheat per say but it certainly gives the AI an advantage.

Icefire1424

See also; instabuild. Anyone know offhand if the AI isn't limited by point restrictions? For instance, the ability to build something that costs more manpower / fuel than they currently possess? Really feel like I'm destroying waaaaaaaaay more armor than they should be able to field.

Me and a friend have done a few 2v2 and the speed which the AI builds up a tank squad is insane.

My point exactly :) Granted, it's pretty fun to destroy an ungodly amount of armour in one match, but dayum!

Sethos

Banned
See also; instabuild. Anyone know offhand if the AI isn't limited by point restrictions? For instance, the ability to build something that costs more manpower / fuel than they currently possess? Really feel like I'm destroying waaaaaaaaay more armor than they should be able to field.

Saw your PM, you just grab a hold of me someday and we'll work something out =)

I assumed the AI got more production out of their points at higher difficulties (i.e. a point is worth 1 fuel for you per tick, but 1.x for the AI), rather than not being limited by point restrictions, as the AI still seems to react as expected if you can manage to cut them off from fuel in my experience (i.e. they don't roll out ridiculous amounts of vehicles). But I'd be curious how it actually works as well.

TaroYamada

I assumed the AI got more production out of their points at higher difficulties (i.e. a point is worth 1 fuel for you per tick, but 1.x for the AI), rather than not being limited by point restrictions, as the AI still seems to react as expected if you can manage to cut them off from fuel in my experience (i.e. they don't roll out ridiculous amounts of vehicles). But I'd be curious how it actually works as well.

in vCoH they had resource boosts, likely the same way in CoH2.

Icefire1424

in vCoH they had resource boosts, likely the same way in CoH2.

That makes sense, appreciate the feedback.

In other news, the TOW challenges are pretty fun. Played the Russian Solo involving blowing everything up with the Rocket Trucks last night. Good times, that.

Grenadiers aren't weak at all, especially vs conscripts. Once you get their mg42 LMG they can stand up to even guards rifles (once vetted). I don't really use snipers when playing as either side, so can't comment there. MG42 crews are one of the biggest advantages the germans have. Fast fire rate and huge cone of fire. Support them with grens and they can really hope out in the early game. Scout car is a waste of resources for sure, I would skip that and go straight for a flame halftrack. And yeah, while the soveits will most likely have AT by the time you get your flame halftrack, you have to send support units in. Send in a squad of grens to scout for the flame track and then flank anything with the flamer halftrack.

For germans, my main units are grenadiers (panzergrenadiers later on), flame halftrack, AT guns and panthers with the occasional panzer thrown in as a lead/bait tank. Flanking is key when playing though, as I am sure you know. Always scout with a infantry unit and then support with weapon crews, AT and armor.

When I first started playing COH2 online, I was going german all the time. I have been playing Soviet side the last week and have been getting a feel for their units. They are strong as well, but in different ways. Love the guards rifles, 120mm mortar, at guns and that awesome SU85. i like both sides, but have definitely been liking the soviets the more I play them.

I'd love to play with you guys anytime you are on, I am usually on weeknights from 8-12pm pacific or random weekend times. Steam name Old Gimlet Eyes, just like here. I prefer 4 vs 4 multiplayer matches, but don't mind comp stomps either. Not a fan of smaller matches, but maybe playing with people I can actually coordinate with would change my mind on that.

Dmax3901

Stuck in the campaign again, the damn sniper level is tough, although this time it's not as frustrating cause I can tell it's me that's the problem not the game design.

Any tips for that mission?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Patch notes for the update due out later today:

Updates for July 10th, 2013

General

• Fixed various issues causing game crash.
• Fixed desktop icon to match new Steam icons.
• Game avoids crash on older NVIDIA Optimus drivers.
• Fixed FX ripples on Tiger Tank.
• Improved water ripples.
• Adjusted logic behind Lag/Vote Kick option being presented.
• Added News Ticker to display planned server downtime.
• Added popup to display “Waiting for Match Results” when waiting for match results when game ends. The appropriate Victory or Defeat screen will then appear.
• Hide the difficulty in multiplayer save games as it does not apply.
• Changes to the help text of Commander abilities Relief Infantry and Rapid Conscription.
• Updated the requirements text of some units and abilities.
• Added Twitch chat button to lobby.
• Show Progress bar on unselected buildings.
• Show a progress bar when planting a trip wire flare.
• Improved Tactical Map display times.
• Fix game in Vista running in Compatibility Mode having no cursors.
• Fix Windows DPI scaling affecting the game in fullscreen and causing UI issues by making the game DPI aware so Windows doesn’t scale it.
• Halftracks now "Taxi" Squads to the Unload point. Clicking the unload button should eject everyone in the Halftrack. Clicking the Shield Icon of the Squad inside the halftrack then the button should taxi the squad to that location.

Campaign & Theater of War

• Mission 1: Fixed crash at Stalingrad Railstation relating to destroying the Panzer IV.
• Mission 1: Fixed crash that had a chance to occur if the player completed the bonus objective after the last defending conscript died.
• Mission 3: Fixed crash that occurs if a player dies while the new AI goal is being assigned.
• Mission 3: Various crash fixes.
• Mission 5: Fixed error when securing bridge territories.
• Mission 6: Fixed Invulnerable Conscript Bug.
• Mission 6: Fixed rare bug when failing the defense objective.
• Mission 6: Fixed HQ blocker.
• Mission 8: Rare error that could prevent the game from progressing.
• Mission 10: Fixed error with demolitions pioneers.
• Various: Fixed howitzer retreat bug.
• Fixed AI enemies being unable to use the Panzerfaust ability.
• Fixed error on Officer Assassination relating to Soviet bombing run.
• Fixed bugs in various ToW missions.

AI

• Repair ability now allows AI to properly detect destroyed bridges to repair.
• AI now only tries to pick up items it is able to.
• Fixed an issue where the AI would not purchase the Axis G43 rifle upgrade.
• AI now properly tracks chance of avoiding explosions when multiple events arrive for the same explosion.
• AI shouldn't give up on capturing to retreat back to base to construct if it is already in the territory to capture.
• AI no longer retreats due to cold when in combat.
• AI abilities targeting friendly units can now run when a squad is outside the objective leash and in ability range of the friendly target.
• AI coordinated move phase now uses setup locations as destinations instead of objective target like coordinated attack arrival phase to prevent path finding oscillations when switching between the two phases.
• AI attack objective now properly recognizes squads capturing a point as not being idle and triggers the switch from the move stage to the engaged stage.
• AI leader task no longer overrides the destinations of the follower tasks screwing up the coordinated attack arrival phase of objectives.

Balance

Soviet M3A1 Halftrack

• Damage from 9.9 to 10
• Far accuracy from 0.37 to 0.2
• Near cooldown duration modifier from 0.5 to 0.6

German 222 Halftrack

• Damage from 7.2 to 5
• Accuracy near from 0.125 to 0.2
• Rate of fire from 12 to 18
• Far cooldown duration modifier from 1.2 to 1

Adjusted the risk vs. reward aspect of unit garrisons within vehicles.
• 50% chance for each entity inside halftrack to die when the garrisoned vehicle dies.

To better compensate for the larger squad sizes of the Soviet weapons teams, the following changes were made:

Soviet Weapon Teams

• Soviet PM41 82mm Mortar Barrage shoots slower: 2 to 3.575 seconds.
• Maxim HMG deals less damage: 12.9 to 9.5.
• Maxim HMG setups slower: 1.375 to 1.5125 seconds.
• Soviet HM-120mm Mortar shoots slower: 7 to 8.9 seconds.
• Soviet HM-120mm Barrage shoots slower: 2.5 to 5.175 seconds.

German Weapon Teams
• German Granatewerfer 81mm mortar shoots faster: 4.5 to 2.4 seconds.
• German HMGs, Mortars and AT Guns have 4 entities instead of 3.

Not sure how I feel about that German Mortar team change - same damage output as before, an extra crew member, and a massive reduction in reload time for standard attacks...

Sibylus

Banned
My nub's opinion is that German infantry are excellent, but I feel like you have to get munitions to get upgraded weapons to make them cost effective.

TaroYamada

I dislike the change to the German mortars RoF, I'd prefer if the chance of dying while in a garrisoned vehicle was guaranteed, also they should have made Soviet crews 4 or 5 men instead of increasing the size of German crews. Making the crews larger has made flanking a far less worthwhile strategy.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Russian HW teams are still absurd with 6 men. I saw a Russian MG survive for about 30 seconds against a panther, armoured car and Panzergrenadiers just because they were in medium cover. I ended up having to retreat my Panzergrenadiers. Granted this is the unlucky end of the spectrum but I still find them ridiculous.

Also I think German grenades need a buff. Conscripts get two of the best grenades in the game but I'm yet to see either rifle grenades or bundle grenades kill more than one dude. Usually they don't kill any; there's practically no reason to even move your troops if they're in cover.

Sethos

Banned
Soviet Weapon Teams
• Soviet PM41 82mm Mortar Barrage shoots slower: 2 to 3.575 seconds.
• Maxim HMG deals less damage: 12.9 to 9.5.
• Maxim HMG setups slower: 1.375 to 1.5125 seconds.

• Soviet HM-120mm Mortar shoots slower: 7 to 8.9 seconds.
• Soviet HM-120mm Barrage shoots slower: 2.5 to 5.175 seconds.

German Weapon Teams
• German Granatewerfer 81mm mortar shoots faster: 4.5 to 2.4 seconds.
• German HMGs, Mortars and AT Guns have 4 entities instead of 3.

Awwww yiss!

Top Bottom