• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comparing and Analyzing (Some) Retail Xbox One and PlayStation 4 console exclusives by year. A Discourse.

Viewing the thread, which exclusive library do you prefer between the XBO and PS4 specifically?

• Xbox One

• PlayStation 4

• Neither - this list is incomplete and misleading

• I didn't read the OP

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aren117

Man, 2013 was ROUGH. Was this generation the worst launch lineup ever?

And MS should really dial down on Forza Motorsport releases. Horizon is fine because is a whole new open world map, but Motorsport is closed-circuit, and you can find the same tracks on 5, 6 and 7....

Same for Sony with the baseball game.

SaucyJack

As others have said, so much missing.

Take PS4 2013, it’s worst year, and you’re missing Resogun, Flower, Hohokum, Doki-Doki Doki Universe and Playroom, all of which were launch titles. Most are small but Resogun was fantastic.

ZywyPL

Banned
Looking at the list made me realize the best PS4 exclusives are actually remasters from the PS3... Damn, the list is actually sad, other than UC4 and GoW I can't find anything really interesting and worth playing on the PS4 from this generation. And the upcoming games like TLoU2 or DS will most likely be released on PS5 as well.

Sparda

Banned
You miss so many games on ps4 like yakuza and many japanese games. Xbots trying too hard to spin the narratives.

Three

Everyone be flippin out about missing PS4 exclusives lol. There are plenty of Xbox One exclusives also missing, Ori and the Blind Forest being a glaring one. D4 and Ashen also missing.

Where are you getting only four exclusives for the Xbox One?

I could forgive small games that got only a digital release on platforms being missing. Like the games you mention, Ori, Ashen, etc as well as Resogun, dead nation, Alienation and all that on PS4. There is at least an excuse for that.

Missing games like SFV, Horizon Zero Dawn though? No there is absolutely no reason for that.

Last edited:
I could forgive small games that got only a digital release on platforms being missing. Like the games you mention, Ori, Ashen, etc as well as Resogun, dead nation, Alienation and all that on PS4. There is at least an excuse for that.

Missing games like SFV, Horizon Zero Dawn though? No there is absolutely no reason for that.
I wouldn't exactly call Ori a small game.

pop_tarts

So I did a quick look at "Sony and Microsoft exclusives" search on wikipedia and this is what I found without so much flashy pictures.
Microsoft
DeadRising 3, FM5, Killer Instict, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, LocoCycle, Max:TCoB, Powerstar Golf
Sony
Killzone Shadow Fall, Knack, DCUO, Escape Plan, Flow, Flower, Resogun, Sound Shapes

Microsoft
FH2, Halo MCC, Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, D4, KI 2 Classic, Kalimba (KI Season 2, Minecraft don't count)
Sony
Driveclub, Infamous Second Son/First Light, LBP3 MLB 14 TLoU Re, DeadNation, Entiwned, PixelJunkShooter, The Unfinished Swan

Microsoft
FM6, Gears Ultimate, Halo 5, Rare Replay Screamride, State of Decay, Ori, Happy Wars(free)
Sony
Bloodborne, GoW3 Re, Helldivers, Journey, MLB 15, Tearaway, The Order, Uncharted NDC, Until Dawn, Beyond Two Souls, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Fat Princess, Guns Up, Hustle Kings, Super Stardust, Ultra Street Fighter 4 (only because its not on Xbone)

My connection is too crappy to continue but my point is both consoles had way more than OP stated. It shouldn't matter if they are third party, on other devices, or remastered, if its not on the other console then it should be continued in the fight. (I even believe Kintec Games and PSVR should too just because RIGS and Batman VR are amazing) Anyway I'm a PS Fanboy so I will leave this here as a neutral statement and let you all take from it what you will.

Three

I wouldn't exactly call Ori a small game.
It's a small game. It didn't get a retail release (hence the exclusion, notice the title of the thread). It got a limited run retail release a year later through Nordic. You cannot buy the game retail at launch or really now on Xbox without difficulty. It's a small game.

Just noticed your username. Are you from Moon Studios or something?

Last edited:
I can't appreciate the hard work and effort that clearly went into your post, but surely you can understand why some people felt affronted at your choice to exclude the PSVR, third-party exclusives.

If we choose to include those than let's be honest, it does paint the Xbox in a worse light than the PS4. Exclusives wise.

Whether that was your intention I sincerely doubt, but I don't think it's reasonable to get frusterated at people because they claim the list doesn't seem fair, instead of getting put out perhaps try explaining why you came to the conclusion you did in a better way...

No it doesn't. Because the thread was never about that.

Almost every post on this thread saying games are missing including your, not only ignore the OP but don't even use the same criteria for Xbox which using your criteria is also missing games. If Kinect was included there would almost be as many games as PSVR. But it's not even just Kinect and PSVR peo ppl e here have attacked me for Sony using a several criteria they don't include for Xbox, which is why some posters claim I compared a "full" xbox list to half a ps4 list. People here are literally ignoring the OP and turning this into an attack Xbox thread by being selective on what's "missing".

The thread became an antisony thread specifically because people didnt read the OP and wanted to be confrontational in this comparison reading only what they wanted to read. It is perfectly reasonable for me to be upset due to the time taken to make this thread.

But anyway past is the past. I know the climate and will make future threads less lengthy and easier to avoid such misunderstandings. Lesson learned.

Tripolygon

Banned

Almost every post on this thread saying games are missing including your, not only ignore the OP but don't even use the same criteria for Xbox which using your criteria is also missing games. If Kinect was included there would almost be as many games as PSVR. But it's not even just Kinect and PSVR peo ppl e here have attacked me for Sony using a several criteria they don't include for Xbox, which is why some posters claim I compared a "full" xbox list to half a ps4 list. People here are literally ignoring the OP and turning this into an attack Xbox thread by being selective on what's "missing".

The thread became an antisony thread specifically because people didnt read the OP and wanted to be confrontational in this comparison reading only what they wanted to read. It is perfectly reasonable for me to be upset due to the time taken to make this thread.

But anyway past is the past. I know the climate and will make future threads less lengthy and easier to avoid such misunderstandings. Lesson learned.
You started a thread to compare console exclusives then add stipulations to greatly reduce the amounts of games thereby disproportionately affecting PS4. This thread was doomed from the start. If you wanna compare exclusives, compare everything because people don't only play games published by Microsoft or Sony. PS4 has tons of third party exclusives, that's how it's always been for PlayStation even though first party wise they also publish more games than Microsoft including retail as well as smaller games on PSN.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This reminds me of earlier in this generation. Whenever list are compared, there are a set of rules that are applied to them. Seems like it's used to minimize the list of games that are released on the PlayStation 4 platform.

Microsoft had more games at launch for the Xbox One console. This is what I remember people complaining about the most.

This is where it gets interesting. Many people consider The Last of Us a remaster (which Sony named themselves) but it's not the same as Halo: MCC, Uncharted Collection of Gears of War Ultimate. The game was released in 2013 and it's basically a port of the title.

The biggest titles released this year:

PS4: Last of Us, MLB The Show 14 and Infamous: Second Son, Final Fantasy 14
XB1: Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, Forza: Horizon 2, Halo: MCC

Sony received a title of Guilty Gear Xrd that were exclusive to PlayStation platforms. Kilelr Instinct for the Xbox was released in 2013. Both are considered good fighting games.

Final Fantasy 14 was released this year on the PlayStation 4 console, too.

This is where I think things stated to really change. The biggest game this year was no doubt Halo 5.

Biggest titles released this year:

PS4: Bloodborne, MLB The Show 15, God of War 3 Remastered, The Order 1886, Uncharted Collection, Until Dawn
XB1: Halo 5, Gears of War Ultimate, Forza 6, State of Decay, Rise of the Tomb Raider (timed exclusive), Rare Replay

What's interesting about this is that many people claimed that Sony relied heavily on remasters early in this generation, but you have 2 from Sony this year and 3 from Microsoft.

The Ordered was a big title that was wasn't received well critically and for good reason: The game was too short and lackluster in some areas (though I enjoyed it when I bought it for $10).

Rise of the Tomb Raider was a Timed Exclusive to Microsoft, but we know it was made helped to boost XB1 sales. This didn't happen, but it was received well critically.

Outside of the big titles, Ori and the Blind Forest was a good game among the Xbox community.

Biggest titles released this year
PS4:
Uncharted 4, Street Fighter V, MLB The Show 16, Ratchet and Clank, The Last Guardian
XB1: Quantum Break, Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3

Both sides released good games this year, but Sony just released more.

Biggest titles released this year:

PS4: Horizon Zero Dawn, GT Sport, Ni-Oh, Uncharted: Lost Legacy, MLB The Show 17
XB1: Halo Wars 2, Forza 7, Cuphead

I think it's clear that Sony had the bigger releases this year.

Biggest Titles Released this year:

PS4: Detroit, MLB The Show 18, Spider-Man, God of War, SotC
XB1: Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2, Forza Horizon 4'

Conclusion:

The biggest problem people have with the Xbox are their games. People say that they have a more diverse lineup, but games like Halo Wars 2, Super Lucky's Tale and ReCore are not the game people are generally looking for.

Astro Bot and Super Lucky's Tale are both platforms, but we know that Astro Bot was well received critically. There are also games missing from the list above which include games like Yakuza, Ni no Kuni, King of Fighters 14 and more. You may believe Microsoft has done a good job experimenting with new games, but most of those experiments weren't always successful. People want games that want to make them buy the console or invest in a platform.

People consider me a PlayStation fanboy because I criticize Microsoft for their releases, but this is hard to deny.

I don't go around labeling games like Halo 5 overrated because I prefer the PlayStation console. They have good games on the platform, but the PlayStation just has more when it comes to the critical reception.

Sea of Thieves was a good game, but my complaint is that it didn't launch with a lot of content. I had similar complains with GT Sport and Street Fighter V. I wouldn't add Killer Instinct 2013 to this list because it was 1) a low budget game and 2) It was free-to-play. The first Metacritic score was low due to a lack of content, but it was in fact a quality fighting game.

State of Decay 2 was filled with bugs when it was first released. The game did sell well, but I'm not sure how the player base stayed around after the game was released.

I do usually consider you a Sony fan boy, but even as an Xbox fan girl I think your post was factual and pretty unbiased, more so than the OP. I personally tend to agree more with the OP's choices, but I'm also aware that this generation my taste in games rarely aligns with the critics or majority of gamers, therefore I think you laid out a very good analysis.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'd actually give the edge to MS in the first two years (which is actually why I bought a Xbox One originally) but from 2015 onwards the PS4 has been absolutely smashing it in terms of exclusives.

Reported OP? Tired of this either hidden PR (which as it turns out is illegal) or degenerate fanboys polluting the thread with obviously completely falsely framed and manipulative topics.

You started a thread to compare console exclusives then add stipulations to greatly reduce the amounts of games thereby disproportionately affecting PS4. This thread was doomed from the start. If you wanna compare exclusives, compare everything because people don't only play games published by Microsoft or Sony. PS4 has tons of third party exclusives, that's how it's always been for PlayStation even though first party wise they also publish more games than Microsoft including retail as well as smaller games on PSN.

There is no disproportion. You and others have created your own "missing" criteria for the PS4 but didn't apply it to the Xbox, creating a false reality where somehow my criteria was more lopsided than it actually was, which it wasn't.

If we added Kinect and PSVR games there would actually be slightly more Kinect games than PSVR games. The comparison was based on core first party or partnered publishing deals since those are among the reasons to own the console, especially since Microsoft has been criticized for falling output since 2015 in house wise. A criticism all PS4 posts in this thread have acted as if I never made it

The issue about yours and other posts is they double down not reading the OP and selectively attack it for the PS4 list but ignore the same. Criteria on the Xbox side turning this into an anti-Sony thread.

But like I said, lessons were learned, past is the past.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Why is the PS4 side missing so many exclusives on its list?

Exactly. There are hundreds of exclusive JPN released titles that were absolutely fantastic that were not listed. Kinda disappointing.

Either way, PS4 wins. They have had the stronger game lineup from the outset.

demigod

WTF, please list all these imaginary Kinect games for Xbox One.

wzy

I will never understand this need for validation among console owners. Did you buy the Xbox because it made you feel good about yourself? Don't lie. This is a serious question. Did you want to play good videogames or did you want to feel like you made the right decision? You fucked up either way but at least one answer provides for the possibility of growth and change.

LMJ

There is no disproportion. You and others have created your own "missing" criteria for the PS4 but didn't apply it to the Xbox, creating a false reality where somehow my criteria was more lopsided than it actually was, which it wasn't.

If we added Kinect and PSVR games there would actually be slightly more Kinect games than PSVR games. The comparison was based on core first party or partnered publishing deals since those are among the reasons to own the console, especially since Microsoft has been criticized for falling output since 2015 in house wise. A criticism all PS4 posts in this thread have acted as if I never made it

The issue about yours and other posts is they double down not reading the OP and selectively attack it for the PS4 list but ignore the same. Criteria on the Xbox side turning this into an anti-Sony thread.

But like I said, lessons were learned, past is the past.

Firstly I didn't attack your list or misunderstand it, merely stated why I could understand some people's attitudes given your list criteria...

Secondly while there have been a few harsh criticisms, most have merely pointed out the issues such a list has, missing titles etc, in my opinion in quite a civilized manner.

Rather than be put out by these suggestions and concerns address them without the victim mentality, and I think you'll find them to be a bit more sympathetic and perhaps even constructive.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I mean you've got games on the MS that aren't published by MS defeating your own rules.

The list does show a glaring lack of variety on the part of MS that you can not deny; this is obviously based on who MS markets to versus SONY. With that said there are some good games on the MS side, but SONY's first party offerings are just better unless you're REALLY interested in Halo, Forza and Gears.

Vawn

Banned

Ok, now list the Kinect games actually worth playing.

PSVR has:
Astrobot
Batman: Arkham VR
Beat Saber
Déraciné
Doom VRF
Eve Valkyrie
Farpoint
Moss
Tetris Effect
The Inpatient
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

Also was there a rule in the list that Japanese games such as all the Disgaea games, Atelier games, Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere, DQ Heroes, DQ Builders, most Tales of games, etc etc etc don't count? Because I love those games and Xbox made it clear they don't care enough anymore to try to go after those games.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

PSVR has:
Astrobot
Beat Saber
Déraciné
Doom VRF
Eve Valkyrie
Farpoint
Moss
Tetris Effect
The Inpatient
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

Also was there a rule in the list that Japanese games such as all the Disgaea games, Atelier games, Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere, DQ Heroes, DQ Builders, most Tales of games, etc etc etc don't count? Because I love those games and Xbox made it clear they don't care enough anymore to try to go after those games.

Disgaea, Atelier, DQ Heroes, DQ Builders are available on Switch. They aren't console exclusive.

Neo_GAF

Banned
just a very incomplete list. even though i love xbox because of the controller, ms has fucked it up this gen.

i miss the japanese and exclusives in this gen, which made the xbox in the last gen standing out.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Disgaea, Atelier, DQ Heroes, DQ Builders are available on Switch. They aren't console exclusive.

And every Xbox game is on PC. We are specifically comparing how Xbox One and PS4 libraries match up.

Also, no, not all those games are on Switch.

Norse

Even with the PS4 missing games, I'd still give Xbox 2013&2014. But starting with 2015 Sony has won every year. I'm still an Xbox only gamer and have been happy with my purchase. Ashen is my current game and am enjoying it so far.

Vawn

Banned
15e4022cc190079a97880e56029c1f6e.jpg

lingpanda

After seeing the games you listed side by side, it isn't even close for me. PlayStation all the way. I've invested more hours on my PS4 due to exclusives than my Xbox One.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And every Xbox game is on PC. We are specifically comparing how Xbox One and PS4 libraries match up.

Also, no, not all those games are on Switch.

This is a thread about console exclusives. The games I told you that are on switch are not exclusive to the PS4. The PC isn't a console.

The only Atelier titles that are exclusive to the PS4 is Sophie and Firis. This is my bad as I thought that Sophie and Firis were ported over, at least in JPN but I was incorrect. I had mistaken the vita port/release for Switch. Every game since has released on Switch and will presumably continue to do so until the Switch is no longer a viable platform.

Dragon Quest Heroes I and II is on Switch.
Dragon Quest Builders is on Switch.
Disgaea 1 and 5 (the only games available on PS4) are also on Switch.

The other games you had a point on which is why I didn't mention them. However, these games in particular are not console exclusive to the PS4.

Vawn

Banned
This is a thread about console exclusives. The games I told you that are on switch are not exclusive to the PS4. The PC isn't a console

You're splitting hairs to make it sound better for Xbox. A PC is a machine that plays video games. Why do we ignore it while counting the Switch?

We either compare games on one of Xbox or PS4 and not the other or we only count games not on any other platform. Xbox fans wanting to ignore games that are on PS4 and not on Xbox are looking for any justification to defend the weaker lineup.

Dragon Quest Heroes I and II is on Switch.

Not in my country.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
You're splitting hairs to make it sound better for Xbox. A PC is a machine that plays video games. Why do we ignore it while counting the Switch?

We either compare games on one of Xbox or PS4 and not the other or we only count games not on any other platform. Xbox fans wanting to ignore games that are on PS4 and not on Xbox are looking for any justification to defend the weaker lineup.

Not in my country.

Yes, I am trying to make it sound better for Xbox in a thread where I called out OP for not having proper game lists on PS4 and where I stated PS4 was the obvious winner. /s Good lord, mate.

PC is not a console. Switch is. When a game states "console exclusive" that means it is only available on *that* console, but can also be found on either handheld, mobile, or PC devices. This isn't splitting hairs, this is literally just going by basic definitions.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Yes, I am trying to make it sound better for Xbox in a thread where I called out OP for not having proper game lists on PS4 and where I stated PS4 was the obvious winner. /s Good lord, mate.

PC is not a console. Switch is. When a game states "console exclusive" that means it is only available on *that* console, but can also be found on either handheld, mobile, or PC devices. This isn't splitting hairs, this is literally just going by basic definitions.

We are comparing games between PS4 and Xbox One. Can you play those games on PS4? Can you play them on Xbox One? Ok then, we are done.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We are comparing games between PS4 and Xbox One. Can you play those games on PS4? Can you play them on Xbox One? Ok then, we are done.

We are comparing console exclusive games on PS4 and Xbox One. It is even in the bloody title, mate.

PSVR has:
Astrobot
Beat Saber
Déraciné
Doom VRF
Eve Valkyrie
Farpoint
Moss
Tetris Effect
The Inpatient
Until Dawn Rush of Blood

Not only did you ignore the point of this thread since "worth playing" is subjective and would make comparing the two impossible, but listed a bunch of titles that go against the OP you didn't read. Your whole PSVR isn't about comparing and instead about your personal console warring fetish, that one again, you wouldn't have listed if you read the OP. Also like others in this thread it's only the PS4, you ignore that I gave both consoles the same treatment and criteria and are only in this thread to act as if the Xbox site doesn't count and that PS4 was specifically wronged in some warped reality.

I mean you've got games on the MS that aren't published by MS defeating your own rules.

The list does show a glaring lack of variety on the part of MS that you can not deny; this is obviously based on who MS markets to versus SONY. With that said there are some good games on the MS side, but SONY's first party offerings are just better unless you're REALLY interested in Halo, Forza and Gears.

Name one retail game on the Sony OR Xbox lists that doesn't have their publishing labels on any of the games boxes listed. All of them are published by MS or Sony, which is also in the OP, which is why im confounded at all these people listing unpublished third party games.

Ah well, I shouldn't get to upset about it. I know the climate now and will be sure to Taylor threads toward that so things like this don't happen

Vawn

Banned
Name one retail game on the Sony OR Xbox lists that doesn't have their publishing labels on any of the games boxes listed. All of them are published by MS or Sony, which is also in the OP, which is why im confounded at all these people listing unpublished third party games.

As a consumer why do I care if a game was published by Microsoft, Sony or a third-party? I don't care WHY a game is on one platform and not the other, I only care that it is.

Your rules in the OP are biased and pointless except to make the two libraries look closer than they are.

- Almost all Xbox One "exclusives" are also on PC, so we won't count PC.

- A bunch of games are on PS4 and Switch, but not Xbox, so we WILL count Switch, hence throwing out all those games

- Let's ignore all PSVR games, even games like Astrobot that made GOTY lists

- Many third-parties, especially Japanese studios, release games on PS4 and not Xbox One. Since the reverse isn't true, let's not count those either.

Man, 2013 was ROUGH. Was this generation the worst launch lineup ever?

And MS should really dial down on Forza Motorsport releases. Horizon is fine because is a whole new open world map, but Motorsport is closed-circuit, and you can find the same tracks on 5, 6 and 7....

Same for Sony with the baseball game.
I actually like the releases more often. If there comes a time I don't want to get a newer forza game I won't get it, but fans of the series by and large like new games every couple of years. If CoD can release games every year and no one cares, then I don't know why Forza releasing bi-annually would bother anyone. We're talking 2 whole years. That's not a normal development cycle for most games, but 2 years is still a long time. In a world where people on neogaf lose their shit because not enough games come out in a given year (omg what will we do!! no exclusives! My system is collecting dust bla bla bla) I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It came to Xbox One eventually.
It took entire year to finally come out on Xbox One and digital only. Which is weird because 360 version of original NieR came out same time as PS3 version did.

Gusy

It came to Xbox One eventually.

Didn't know that. Looked briefly on google and said ps4 and pc only. If that's the truth .....my bad. My apologies to the OP.

Horizon Zero Dawn? Really OP? .. really... ok

Vawn

Banned
Didn't know that. Looked briefly on google and said ps4 and pc only. If that's the truth .....my bad. My apologies to the OP.

Horizon Zero Dawn? Really OP? .. really... ok

At least he didn't forget Knack. Xbox fans never forget Knack.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fight the good fight Vawn. Pretty sure if you submit a resume to Sony, their HR department will give brownie points for effort.

It won't let me vote, but I definitely think this is seriously mis-leading (thanks for adding that option in the survey)... in the first year or so of the PS4 we had new titles every single week, the xbox had nothing for weeks at a time for some periods in late 2013 and the first half of 2019, titles like Resogun made a big difference for me at this time.

But the total numbers for each platforms are apparently in favor of the xbox (according to Wikipedia)
PS4 : 1878
Xbox: 1882

Either way, I prefer Sony's games, they seem to explore more, and their platform just makes more sense for someone who values single player (this is all I value, unless the multi-player is couch based).

Fbh

List is missing a bunch of Japanese games which are a big reason why I prefer Ps4 (Yakuza, Persona , Dragon quest, Nioh, etc) but even ignoring that I think Xbox had a slight advantage the first year and a half but eventually Sony recovered and have been dominating the rest of the gen

Last edited:

SaucyJack

List is missing a bunch of Japanese games which are a big reason why I prefer Ps4 (Yakuza, Persona , Dragon quest, Nioh, etc) but even ignoring that I think Xbox had a slight advantage the first year and a half but eventually Sony recovered and have been dominating the rest of the gen

It was very slight though. Both platforms, in reality, had not very much in the way of exclusives in that first year or so.

But tbh one of my reasons for going PS4 first was the knowledge that Sony do a much better job of supporting their platform over its lifecycle. Consider the PS3 titles that came out in 2013 vs XB360 (Last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, Ni No Kuni, Puppeteer, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, God of War Ascension, Uncharted 4, Beyond 2 Souls). One could argue that they could/should have refocused studios to make all/some of those PS4 launch titles. But not everyone jumps to nextgen early and it’s good to know one platform holder at least still recognises that their existing install base is also important. .

Top Bottom