• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Anth0ny

they were probably talking on the phone with the 68 year old who owns the medal printing shop

"yeah sure super smash bros got it"

"hey Ethel, what do these medals have to say again?"

"oh it's a video game! super mario brothers!"

Peléo

Also, obvious to say this now, but Mang0 - Armada isn't as unpredictable as it use to be. Mang0 still has crazy peaks, but they're getting further and further apart, and I hope Tafo can bring some consistency to the table.

This is not true. except for 2015, in which Armada was 7x2 over Mango, they always had yearly close set counts. Mango had the upper hand last year, I think 8x5. 2014, the year where Mango won everything, Armada was 7x6. From 2013 to 2009 they were 3x3.

FZZ

Banned
Is this why Armada quit in 2013

This level of dominance is just LMAO

man I hope there's just some random player with a character that no one uses (Yoshi pls) and just revolutionizes the game

I want to see Jordan fam

Lowkey Armada was Jordan all along, or Bill Russel where Mang0 is Wilt

Codeblue

Peléo;228910084 said:
This is not true. except for 2015, in which Armada was 7x2 over Mango, they always had yearly close set counts. Mango had the upper hand last year, I think 8x5. 2014, the year where Mango won everything, Armada was 7x6. From 2013 to 2009 they were 3x3.

Looking it up, you're totally right. My bad. Looks like Mang0 was actually up in sets 7-3 for 2016.

peter0611

This was the fastest and most aggro I've ever seen Armada's Peach. Like Scar mentioned on commentary, Fox should not lose in neutral vs her unless the other person is completely outplaying you.

Peléo

Looking it up, you're totally right. My bad. Looks like Mang0 was actually up in sets 7-3 for 2016.

I guess they had 2 years of complete dominance over each other and were more or less equal for the rest of it.

Still, compared to the other gods, Mango is the one who keeps it the closest.

Armada 22 x 18 Mango - 55%
Armada 25 x 13 Hungrybox - 66%
Armada 20 x 3 Mew2King - 87%
Armada 31 x 15 Leffen - 68%
Armada x Non-Top 6 players - 100%

Couldn't find PPMD results, but I remember Aramda being positive against him as well.

Armada is just a monster.

Paltheos

Yeah, Armada's the strongest right now. His Peach game is just insane. Almost immaculate. He's an implacable wall, but active.

GamerJM

Banned
The venue was hype af for Armada vs. S2J and Mango vs. Leffen, worth it just for that omg @_@. I had pretty much the best seat you could get without being staff or a top player. And the Smash 4 .9 fiasco was hilarious. Of course throughout GFs the hype just slowly kind of died down....

Also had a lot of fun playing with randos. The Melee cabinets were cool, though I didn't feel like doing Smash ladder and on day 2 they kicked people off a lot of them for that.

Anth0ny

The venue was hype af for Armada vs. S2J and Mango vs. Leffen, worth it just for that omg @_@. I had pretty much the best seat you could get without being staff or a top player. And the Smash 4 .9 fiasco was hilarious. Of course throughout GFs the hype just slowly kind of died down....

Also had a lot of fun playing with randos. The Melee cabinets were cool, though I didn't feel like doing Smash ladder and on day 2 they kicked people off a lot of them for that.

Armada S2J was the set of the weekend, no doubt. Mango Leffen was the set of top 8. Was losing my SHIT watching at home, so I can't even imagine how great it must have been live.

GamerJM

Banned
During the Armada/S2J set (around game 2 or 3) one of the TOs were calling something or someone to the desk, I can't remember what, but they started off by saying "Okay, so this is pretty dank, but can we please get...."

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Back at Evo, but finals on Saturday. Can't say I mind Smash 4 getting the Sunday slot this year despite not caring much about the game, Melee will probably get it again next year.

Thought maybe the Smash/Melee community would get behind Skullgirls in the donation drive due to the 2013 one, but it looks like everyone is immediately jumping to the meme pick (Arms).

xezuru

Welp, even more so to double on the reasons why I'd prolly prefer saving for next Genesis then Evo, that said, I think it's been a damn long time since other games/companies have actually had more influence at Evo then Capcom. Glad Guilty Gear is back Aksys/Arksys doing work, Smashes are back and I can only hope the KoF turns out to be just as hype as when 13 had its debut last time.

emb

I'm glad Smash 4 is getting a chance, finally. Wish there was some way both could get the spotlight, but as much as they've shown up to Evo, I think respect is deserved.

Donation drive is a super tough choice. I want Marvel to be there, might as well not be Evo without it. I like the other Nintendo choices in ARMS and Pokken. Would also love to see SG get a chance after the 2013 heartbreaker. Windjammers and Niddhog are both sick too.

Anth0ny

it's fine

i wonder what the smash 4 people will think when melee gets more viewers on saturday than smash 4 gets on sunday, though

it's fine

i wonder what the smash 4 people will think when melee gets more viewers on saturday than smash 4 gets on sunday, though

There's no way this happens, though it would be hilarious if Smash 4 randomly sucked in viewership when compared to the other games on Sunday (but I don't really expect this).

What I really don't get is why not put both on Sunday? rake in that $$$

Anth0ny

There's no way this happens, though it would be hilarious if Smash 4 randomly sucked in viewership when compared to the other games on Sunday (but I don't really expect this).

What I really don't get is why not put both on Sunday? rake in that $$$

that's obviously how it should be but they are dead set on "giving other games a chance" and "not having 4 straight hours of smash"

so instead of having a steady 150k+ viewers for smash 4, melee and street fighter, they'll have 30k for the fan voted game, 40k for the anime bullshit and 150k+ for smash 4 and street fighter

Pappasman

Smash 4 deserves some time on Sunday which is cool. But yeah, Smash is still not "accepted" in the FGC, despite both Melee and Wii U drawing significantly more entrants and viewers than all other fighting games.

Shoutouts to some anime game that gets 200 entrants getting a spot on Sunday over Melee though.

Anth0ny

people still don't understand that the FGC isn't a thing

street fighter people shit on marvel people same as marvel people shit on smash people same as mk people shit on anime people

everyone likes their game and that's it. there's crossover here and there but it's nothing significant. if any significant number of street fighter players actually played blaz blue maybe their tournaments would hit triple digit entrants more than once a year

Codeblue

As someone who plays Smash 4, I think it's not the greatest spectator game, which is the reason I don't really care for it getting a Sunday spot. And honestly, I wouldn't mind it at all if Saturday finals seating wasn't so absolutely awful last year. I'll still buy an arena seat for SFV though.

I feel similarly about ARMS. It looks really fun to play, but there's nothing to suggest that it'd be any fun to watch on a competitive level, and given what Evo did for Melee, I'd rather a game with an actual community get that spot.

emb

street fighter people shit on marvel people same as marvel people shit on smash people same as mk people shit on anime people

everyone likes their game and that's it. there's crossover here and there but it's nothing significant. if any significant number of street fighter players actually played blaz blue maybe their tournaments would hit triple digit entrants more than once a year
This is sort of the impression I had about FGC stuff from the few events I've attended (for Melee). Each traditional fighting game seemed to have its own little section to itself, and people seemed to stay around the same areas.

Spectating though, I see a lot more crossover it seems like. Even at something grand like Evo, I'll see a Tokido or a Chris G or a Jwong playing Soul Cal or KoF or KI, and just think like, they play that?

Anth0ny

This is sort of the impression I had about FGC stuff from the few events I've attended (for Melee). Each traditional fighting game seemed to have its own little section to itself, and people seemed to stay around the same areas.

Spectating though, I see a lot more crossover it seems like. Even at something grand like Evo, I'll see a Tokido or a Chris G or a Jwong playing Soul Cal or KoF or KI, and just think like, they play that?

right, but like I said, it's nothing significant. those god tier players will play multiple games because... they're god tier players. they have the fundamentals of fighting games down and are willing to put in time in other games because they can.

out of 5000 players who sign up for street fighter, I wonder how many sign up for other games. out of the 40,000 people watching anime on sunday and being exposed to the highest level of anime play, I wonder how many actually pick up the game and support it year round.

right, but like I said, it's nothing significant. those god tier players will play multiple games because... they're god tier players. they have the fundamentals of fighting games down and are willing to put in time in other games because they can.

out of 5000 players who sign up for street fighter, I wonder how many sign up for other games. out of the 40,000 people watching anime on sunday and being exposed to the highest level of anime play, I wonder how many actually pick up the game and support it year round.

This is my first year going to EVO, but back when I was in college I was a FGC FIEND.

I played almost everything. Now I don't have as much time so I learn 1-2 chars in a game and then go 0-2 in tourneys mostly.

Registered for SFV, Melee, Tekken 7, GG Xrd:Rev 2, and I might register for Wii U as well.

I love fighting games. Which is why I'm stoked to finally be able to go. Also got my seating tickets already for Sunday. Section Floor 3, Row E, Seat 15-16.

Spuck-uk

Banned

That's not really true at all, there's a lot of crossover between games, although the Anime crowd can be a bit more isolated. Hell, I mainly play Tekken and Xrd, and before that was a streetfighter player.

However there's almost no commonality between Smash and the FGC. Smash is its own thing.

Spuck-uk

Banned

I've seen I'mStillDaDaddy playing Xrd at a few tournaments, certainly not someone I would have pegged as an anime game player.

xezuru

I mean, Tokido specifically is like not only a god in the japanese 2d sense, but he's been in evo finals for like every fighting series, He's been attending forever, I feel like he was the first japanese to break the marvel 3 barrier If i remember he won a CEO, but you used to ALWAYS see him randomly be in top 8 for like aside from Capcom shit as usual, tekken, KoF13, and BlazBlue somehow at the same tournament. Jwong is kinda similar, I don't think he puts as much time in but yeah, insane fundamentals, but he's more open to fucking around as well, every Apex he used to play Smash 64 and get his DK ass wopped.

Honestly It's mostly just reddit/twitch memes added on to players being lazy pieces of shit to never look at games past their surface.

GamerJM

Banned
n0ne winning SoCal Colosseum makes me very happy. Starting to feel like falcons going to be the non top character to win a major next.

I don't think Falcon is any worse than Peach which is a character that's won a ton of majors for obvious reasons. There's just never been a god-level Falcon and gods only ever really win majors.

Also, re EVO, I think it's fine, Smash 4 deserves a chance and it's not OUR tournament. I think it's good that Melee's still in it for the exposure we get every year. However, I really think the Smash community should look at "treating," CEO Dreamland as their true big Summer major , since EVO is almost certainly going to not be great logistically for Melee.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
n0ne winning SoCal Colosseum makes me very happy. Starting to feel like falcons going to be the non top character to win a major next.

I think a Falcon player will be the first non-god to beat Armada. S2J and N0ne are two of the three players recently to take Armada to the brink (third being Smashg0d, who is super good at the Peach matchup).

S2J was literally one dair away from 3-0ing Armada. Had to have been a missed input, can't imagine how much that hurt.

Codeblue

I think a Falcon player will be the first non-god to beat Armada. S2J and N0ne are two of the three players recently to take Armada to the brink (third being Smashg0d, who is super good at the Peach matchup).

S2J was literally one dair away from 3-0ing Armada. Had to have been a missed input, can't imagine how much that hurt.

You think it needs to be someone with a more aggressive play style, or do you think someone a little more reserved like Wizzy can take out Armada?

Dunnow if you guys watched SSS last night but HugS loser's run was amazing.

Alex19 and Crimson commentary made it hilarious, though.

yeah i fell asleep after the moon set, but it was an amazing experience between seeing hugs playing at the top of his game and the commentary cracking me up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You think it needs to be someone with a more aggressive play style, or do you think someone a little more reserved like Wizzy can take out Armada?

Probably n0ne. He's fearless, seems really good at the Peach matchup, and his playstyle is a pretty good counter to Armada's. IIRC they played a lot of friendlies together before one of the Canadian tournaments last year and n0ne was holding his own pretty well. Don't remember if that was Fox or Peach.

https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/826174586857390086

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Started playing again, with Falco. His ledge canceled phantasms are stupid easy on Battlefield and Stadium. Even doing ledge jump side B and canceling on the platform.

Maybe if I can get my brother to practice with me some and I get a better feel with Falco I'll start doing netplay. Maybe. More realistically I will get sidetracked playing other games and not play Melee for months, totally regress again, and start again with yet another character.

Been practicing daily. Getting more comfortable with some general movement and timings. Need crispier wavedashes to do them out of shine with any consistency.

My index finger is slow on the L button for some reason. Have to actively think about it or I bring up shield while l canceling or wavedashing.

xezuru

Smash Summit 2017 (Summer?) Nominations are Live!
No Idea when nominations turn over to voting phase but hopeing for some crazy potential sets.

Invited Players:
[A] Armada
C9 Mang0
MVG FOX Mew2King
Liquid Hungrybox
PG Plup
TSM RB Leffen
Tempo Axe
CLG.SFAT
CLG.PewPewU
G2 Westballz

Some of my favorites in for nominations:
New Blood Tier:
Syrox - Very young, new fox player from Colorado, new hax-ish high technicality, wins vs Westballz, Lucky, Prof Pro, SFAT, after this kid gets experience he could become a monster.
Rudolph - #1 ranked Japanese player, Marth, obvious regional rivalry and very hard to get Japanese players out these days, love to see him represent and seems to be a very emotional player, a sight to see.

Marks on Armada Tier:
Both of these players have taken Armada to the last game within the last half-year
Tempo S2J - Explosive read based falcon, silent johnny face, the best pop offs.
LG Ice - Fox with crips punishes, great leffen team synergy, germany representation

Forgot how many people get invited so extra Personality Tier:
Secret Silent Wolf - I would've kept him in high profile players but honestly SW is so on and off with the game I have no idea when or if he actually practices for any major.
MSF The Moon - You all ready know, Marth, East Coast

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mixed feelings on Rudolph. IIRC he barely knows any English and part of the fun of Summit is the player personalities. The language barrier would probably make Rudolph a less fun choice for both fans and himself. On the other hand, he's clearly quite the character and it would be pretty cool for a top Japanese player to attend.

But really, of the 19 listed on the nomination page I'd be mostly fine with any of them. Less familiar with Redd and Faceroll (know of both but haven't seen them much).

Top Bottom