• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Computer Science Degree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishman

I am just wondering if I should major in CS or something else. I remembered a few of you saying that it is useless.

maharg

idspispopd
If all of the following are the case, go ahead:
- You are genuinely interested, not just as a career option but on a fundamental level.
- You understand that what you learn in your program may be:
- Horribly outdated
- Horribly impractical
- Horribly incorrect
but that at the same time you will learn much of the real theory behind why you do what you do.

Too many people go into CS degrees thinking it will garauntee them a job even though they have no aptitude or desire to actually do the work, or else they come out of it thinking that what they learned is the pinnacle of coding, or that the languages they learned are de facto better than the languages they will be forced to use in the real world.

It really depends on what you want to get out of it.

I'll have my generals finished after next semester, and then I get to start my Comp Science classes. I don't know if I'm as excited about it as I was when starting school, but I do know there isn't really anything else I'd rather do... Besides start a band, drop out of school, and rock out 24/7.

Ecrofirt

Cerebral Palsy said:
I don't know if I'm as excited about it as I was when starting school, but I do know there isn't really anything else I'd rather do... Besides start a band, drop out of school, and rock out 24/7.

Very good goals. I'll be heading to college in the fall, and those are the only two things I'd like to do. Too bad I can't sing or play an instrument.

RiZ III

if you really enjoy programming and want to get into the game industry, come to digipen. No matter what people say, this place has got a great atmosphere, a lot of classes that will eat you alive and best of all its like a cult
jam.gif

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'm a class away from finishing my Comp Sci degree, but its always been what I wanted to do. You have a lot of non-traditional routes you can go with the degree as well if you're really interested. Comp Sci degree coupled with some law school could net you an amazing patent law job in the near future with all the changes they're looking to make in that area. If you're genuinely interested (do some coding first just to make sure you like that, it's what you'll be doing for the next ~9-20 years, even though its not really the fundamental thing for a comp sci major, since in my experience the programs have been relatively easy and the logic was the only thing to grasp).

Also, if you're not a fan of math you're not going to dig it. And if you are a huge fan of math and don't like coding, I'd suggest something like Actuarial Science.

Slo

I have a degree in CS. The things I learned while going to school were very valueable, the actual degree is another story. The only thing it really gets you is that once you have it employers will actually talk to you. Beyond that, a degree in CS guarrentees you nothing. You still have to interview well for an entry level position, and once you get in somewhere you have to demonstrate technical aptitude in a practical environment.

The things you learn in school are not immediatly applicable in the real world. While high level math courses do an excellent job of developing problem solving skills, you won't be sitting in your cube doing differential equations all day. Also, most of the "design theory" you learn in college is not expected at an entry level position. That knowledge may help you write "good" code, but product architecture is usually reserved for more senior level positions. As a greenhorn you'll likely be lumped into bug-fix hell, or at best some paint-by-numbers programming.

In short, a CS degree is VITAL to getting your foot in the door, and almost worthless from that point on.

Phoenix

Bishman said:
I am just wondering if I should major in CS or something else. I remembered a few of you saying that it is useless.

Depends entirely on what you want to do with your life. Majoring in CS isn't useless if you plan to go into a field where there are plenty CS majors as you may find it very difficult to get into those professions without the degree. You can blame much of that on the state of human resources moreso anything else.

Where I work there was a time when we actually hired people who didn't have CS degrees because it was difficult to get people - but that was almost 4 years ago. These days people without CS degrees never even make it to my desk, and those without practical experience almost always end up in the trash. The field is VERY competitive these days, but still quite lucrative after you've been in it for a while. Though I won't discuss my compensation, lemme just say that its more than I ever expected to make in my career - and I have VERY little chance of being off-shored or anything of that sort.

Tenguman

If your school has a job-placement program, USE-IT. It's much easier to go through there to get your foot in the door. Get an internship your junior year, and you'll be better off when you graduate. Companies are VERY selective when it comes to full-time jobs. They always want someone with 5+ years of experience in languages that, of course, your school never taught you. That's why it's great to get an internship early and through your school's job-placement program.

Companies are looking for experience, not whether you have a degree or not. Know what kind of of job your applying for and tweak your resume. List some programming projects you have done and what they involve. A lot of employers are interested in what your experience level is, not what programs you know.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
And if you want to get into game development, WRITE A GAME. Or write bunches of games. Spend as much of your spare time as you can creating games. Basically you want to demonstrate that you can not just program, but program games. It's not a guarantee of a job, but it'll give you a leg up on all the folks fresh out of college who don't have anything but class projects to show for it -- and it'll show dedication and drive.

Nikashi

Banned
Get your degree, get a job in QA, and NETWORK. Tons of people at EA started in QA, but then moved into dev, or a test engineer, or other development side jobs. Just don't go bugging development directly :)

RiZ III said:
if you really enjoy programming and want to get into the game industry, come to digipen. No matter what people say, this place has got a great atmosphere, a lot of classes that will eat you alive and best of all its like a cult
jam.gif

I can assure you that EA Canada or possibly other EA studios only hire programmer without industry experience who has a CS/Math/Engine degree these days.

RiZ III

I dont know what people think Digipen students do but we get a CS degree. We got 28 math classes(4 or 5 electives here), 33 CS classes (i think 5 are electives) during 4 years. Those are only the math and cs classes. Its pretty intense imo.

But yea, to get into any big company you usually need industry experience. However I know people from here who have landed some nice jobs not long after graduation.

A CS degree is OK for getting in the door at some places, but it doesn't work alone. You should also take consideration of what field in computers you want to go into, whether it be IT, Networking, Programming, etc. Once you've decided, seek out certifications like A+, MSCE, CCNA, etc. to help your cedentials in those fields. Also, if you're interested in the multimedia side of things, I'd definitely say to go for a Masters. At least at Clemson University, you don't really get into the interesting stuff till you start the Masters program.

Overall, just remember, that the corriculum for CS is useful but will likely not teach you the more advanced skills you may need for some jobs. Those you'll have to take extra time and learn on your own.

sefskillz

Brotherman said:
Once you've decided, seek out certifications like A+, MSCE, CCNA, etc. to help your cedentials in those fields.

IAWTP but skip the A+, its a waste of everyone's time :)

Ecrofirt

I got completely screwed out of going to DigiPen next year.

Arrgh!

You need two letters of recommendation, and I had no problem getting one of them, but my Computer Science teacher of all people wouldn't write me one. She's such an airhead that she kept forgetting. Dumb bitch.

I talked to her on three seperate occasions about it, and my parents talked to her once. Each time she said she was writing it. Finally by the time Christmas rolled around, I just gave up since DigiPen only lets in about 150 kids a year according to the website.

Talk about ruining a guy's dreams. I've wanted to go there since I found out about it back in junior high shortly after teaching myself QBasic.

Diablos

Ecrofirt said:
I got completely screwed out of going to DigiPen next year.

Arrgh!

You need two letters of recommendation, and I had no problem getting one of them, but my Computer Science teacher of all people wouldn't write me one. She's such an airhead that she kept forgetting. Dumb bitch.

I talked to her on three seperate occasions about it, and my parents talked to her once. Each time she said she was writing it. Finally by the time Christmas rolled around, I just gave up since DigiPen only lets in about 150 kids a year according to the website.

Talk about ruining a guy's dreams. I've wanted to go there since I found out about it back in junior high shortly after teaching myself QBasic.

God damn, that's bullshit. You should still try to get in and blame the situation on that teacher. You never know, they could make exceptions.

Ecrofirt

Far too late for stuff like that now.

I got accepted to a local, but consistantly high-ranking college. I still plan on trying to transfer out after my first year or so, because DigiPen is really where I want to go.

I'm honestly not making any of that stuff up about the teacher. She's a big airhead, and she's teaching CS because the old teacher retired and she took a few programming courses in college.

No word of lie, she had me teach her the last of the Visual Basic that we learned a week before she taught the rest of the class.

maharg

idspispopd
Ecrofirt said:
Far too late for stuff like that now.

I got accepted to a local, but consistantly high-ranking college. I still plan on trying to transfer out after my first year or so, because DigiPen is really where I want to go.

I'm honestly not making any of that stuff up about the teacher. She's a big airhead, and she's teaching CS because the old teacher retired and she took a few programming courses in college.

No word of lie, she had me teach her the last of the Visual Basic that we learned a week before she taught the rest of the class.

Speaking of, where's MIMIC?

Actually, there are alot of entrylevel jobs these days that want A+ certified people and it also can be applied in combination with some of the other comptia certs. as an elective for a Microsoft certification, so it's still useful.

Just check out this site (http://www.computerjobs.com) and see how many jobs are interested in it. Particularly helpdesk ones.

Also this site is good for learning about certifications and also has info. on resources to help you study for them (http://www.cramsession.com).

sefskillz

I really hope when I graduate with my CS degree I don't have to get an entry level help desk position. I still say A+ is a waste of time ;)

Diablos

A+ sucks. All the questions on that test are so irrelevant. I don't think anyone is gonna call me up someday and say "yo, how many lines are there on the Pentium II's bus?"

I mean come on...

Phoenix

Brotherman said:
A CS degree is OK for getting in the door at some places, but it doesn't work alone. You should also take consideration of what field in computers you want to go into, whether it be IT, Networking, Programming, etc. Once you've decided, seek out certifications like A+, MSCE, CCNA, etc. to help your cedentials in those fields. .

Its worth noting that things like A+, MSCE, CCNA, etc are useless for the traditional programmer.

Be sure you know WHERE in computer science you want to go because its a very broad field and it can take you in any number of different directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom