• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conan: The Barbarian. If you do not like this movie, then the hell with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when I was 9 years old, it was a school night. I was up late for some reason or another, probably playing Genesis, when I caught Conan on tv. I ended up staying up til 5am watching it and my dad spanked the hell out of me when he woke up for work. It was well fucking worth it.

Edit: Netflix has this and Destroyer, though not instant watch. Fuck yeah anyway!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Incredible movie. I love how much is said with so little dialog, the soundtrack is truly a masterpiece here, filling in for a barely understandable Schwarzenegger.

LQX

Crazy but Conan was the first movie to scare the shit out of me as kid. The part where the queen transforms to the monster and Conan rips off the horn and stabs her through the mirror in the end was so fucking gory and frightening to me as kid. A timeless classic in my view.

LQX said:
Crazy but Conan was the first movie to scare the shit out of me as kid. The part where the queen transforms to the monster and Conan rips off the horn and stabs her through the mirror in the end was so fucking gory and frightening to me as kid. A timeless classic in my view.

candyman said and done. Never looked at a mirror again

but what about the 1st conan

UrbanRats

Norwegian Wood said:
Best advice a father could give a son

The enigma of steel
conan-the-barbarian-valerie.jpg

"Steel isn't strong boy, flesh is stronger!"

ToxicAdam

Spire said:
The most masculine movie ever made. I wish to god Hollywood had the balls to make films like this again.

You didn't hear? They are remaking it with Adrian Brody as the lead.

The opening in Conan gets me everytime. If I catch that part on tv, I am hooked in for the next 2 hours.

ToxicAdam said:
You didn't hear? They are remaking it with Adrian Brody as the lead.

I know you're joking around with the reference to the Predators film that came out last year...buuut they actually are remaking Conan. Here's a set photo of the much less threatening barbarian in action:

conan_mad_face.jpg

god damn that sword looks plastic

NotWii

Banned
Snytbaggen said:
What a coincidence, I saw this just a few days ago and it was so manly I immediately started to grow chest hairs.
Been listening to the extended Conan OST for the past few weeks, so the collective resurge of interest is surprising :D

Discotheque said:
I know you're joking around with the reference to the Predators film that came out last year...buuut they actually are remaking Conan. Here's a set photo of the much less threatening barbarian in action:

conan_mad_face.jpg

Sword may look like plastic, but that's a closer adaption of what Howard had described Conan in the books to be than the traditional Arnie version we've grown to love.

JoeBoy101

PhoncipleBone said:

Half of the reason that Conan was awesome. A good strong hero requires a strong intelligent villain and Thulsa Doom is easily one of the best screen villains of all time.

"THAT is Strength, Boy! THAT is power!"

Then of course, the other two thirds of awesome in the movie was Arnie completely owning the role as Conan. Sure, his lack of English helped with that, but nonetheless, anyone else just won't measure up.

There is no scene I love more than when they go to kidnap the Princess back, and after killing all the guards at the Orgy, more guards including Rexor arrive and upon seeing Conan alive...

"You."

DBXKnight said:
Is it OK to even love the music more than the movie not that I don't like the movie but the music is one of the best.

It is one of the best soundtracks of all time. I own very few and this is one of them (as well as Gladiator and Blade Runner).

MYE

Discotheque said:

http://www.celebrityauthentics.com/Headline_Images/file/conan_mad_face.jpg

In some pics he looks ok

jason-momoa-conan-2.jpg

In others, fucking terrible

momoa-conan-new-image.jpg

Movie will likely be a forgetable piece of shit. Momoa, or whatever, is not a leading man.

Subitai said:
You guys read any of the books?

They are pretty much all short stories except for one which is still basically a novella. Good pulp adventures though, Conan always gets the chick, and bashes his way through any situation.

This movie was on late-night a few weeks ago. I only intended to see a few minutes before going to bed, but I stayed up until 3:30 to watch it all. It holds up really well, and is a great sword-and-sorcery epic. I was a huge fan of the Conan comic when I was a kid, as well as the Robert E. Howard stories.

shuri

Banned
The part where Conna uses his 'charms' on the priest guy cracks me up. Arnold looked he was about to start laughing during that scene

JGS

Banned
Loved the movie, but it was way too serious for the subject matter. It seemed like it was going for the Oscar that year at a time when Arnie barely spoke English.

Every laugh in there was a manly laugh.

Still loved it though. It's parts were better than it sum.

One of my favorite movies of all time. Whenever I catch it on tv I have to watch it to the end.

spiderman123 said:
Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Best prayer ever.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I have both Conan's on DVD.

I miss this manly testosterone filled movies.

Rikyfree

What is a sword compared to HAND that wields it? Truer words were never spoken. Now excuse me, I must go listen to the lamentation of the women.

PS- Olivia d'Abo is ALL kinds of HAWT.

King+Conan_Conan+the+Barbarian.jpg

Unfortunately, I think it is all downhill from here. That to me is the single most badass picture from the entire movie. Just that image alone fills my mind with the potential badassness we could get from a King Conan movie.

And really, would the movie be anywhere near as badass if it were not for the music? As the ew.com I posted in the OP stated: you could almost watch the film with nothing but the isolated score and it would still be awesome.

Although you would miss awesome, manly quotes like this: "He is Conan, Cimmerian, he won't cry, so I cry for him. "

PhoncipleBone said:
King+Conan_Conan+the+Barbarian.jpg

Unfortunately, I think it is all downhill from here. That to me is the single most badass picture from the entire movie. Just that image alone fills my mind with the potential badassness we could get from a King Conan movie.

And really, would the movie be anywhere near as badass if it were not for the music? As the ew.com I posted in the OP stated: you could almost watch the film with nothing but the isolated score and it would still be awesome.

Although you would miss awesome, manly quotes like this: "He is Conan, Cimmerian, he won't cry, so I cry for him. "

Adopting 'Hour of the Dragon' as the King Conan movie, would have been one of the greatest things ever.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ahh Conan the Barbarian.. one of the all time great fanatasy movies..where adult fantasy movies were still allowed to be Restricted for a mature audience.

Add The Sword and the Sorcerer to the list as another great 80's classic that wasn't made for kids.
the-sword-and-the-sorcerer-movie-poster-1020193518.jpg

shuri

Banned
I remember buying those old pulp Conan comics in black in white from a dollar store when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure there were leftovers stock from the '70, but damn those stories were awesome.

One of the story had Conan stuck in a city ran by 7 Wizards, and the citizens were pretty much prisoners because the wizards had created this huge fire wall in the sky and around the city. Conan eventually started a civil war, the wizards turned against each other, there were tons of huge fights against all sorts of messed up mutants, humans, monsters. It was AWESOME to read when i was 12.

Dascu

bloodydrake said:
ahh Conan the Barbarian.. one of the all time great fanatasy movies..where adult fantasy movies were still allowed to be Restricted for a mature audience.

Add The Sword and the Sorcerer to the list as another great 80's classic that wasn't made for kids.
http://www.moviepostershop.com/the-sword-and-the-sorcerer-movie-poster-1020193518.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Excellent film, almost as good as Conan the Barbarian. Must-watch for people who enjoyed the latter.

shuri

Banned
I enjoyed the second movie too. People say it's less violent, but eeh there are some pretty messed up things in that movie too. The characters were great, the monster at the end was awesome, and so on.

I love the part when Conan realises he got owned by the Queen and that he will never see his girlfriend again.

JdFoX187

Banned
I remember reading they were actually going to make a King Conan movie, but issues arose when Arnold began work on Predator. They eventually changed the script and adapted it for Kull the Conqueror, with Kevin Sorbo. I had the sad misfortune of watching that again a couple months ago -- it's bad.

This movie just reeks of awesomeness though. I watched it on one of the HD movie channels recently. I've got it on DVD, but seeing it in HD was something I couldn't pass up. Love Arnold in the movie. He's a badass, even though he's nothing like what Howard described in the stories. I am looking forward to Momoa's version though. From everything I've read, it seems that they're going in the right direction with it. They're taking some inspirations from Arnold's work, but are mainly focusing on Howard's stories. Not to mention it's got a cast that should ensure plenty of action and more one-liners, if nothing else.

I always get order of these confused. There was the one James Earl Jones and the snake
There was the one with Grace Jones and the mirror dude. Which was the horn ripping off the monster one?Also then there's Red Sonja, the spin-off right? I should know this because I grew up in the 80s.

I remember liking the one with the mirrors and the one with booby trapped temple. It could be the same one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom