• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concept art from a cancelled/unannounced 2009 *NEW* Epic Games IP

edit: While no one knows for sure, I'm fairly certain it's a cancelled title rather than an unannounced one.

---

From a 2009 interview: http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/news/2009/07/interview-with-josh-nizzi/

GW: What else are you working on?

JN: I’m currently working on Epic Games’ new IP. There’s a ton of talented guys there at Epic. I think people are going to be surprised by what they are doing next – in a good way. I also have some other side stuff I’m working on, including my own small video game project.

GW: Where do you find inspiration to your designs?

JN: I find inspiration all over the place. I follow a lot of what’s happening with vehicle design and technology as well as other product design trends. I also look at what other artists are doing. I’m constantly amazed at how good some artists are. George Hull is working on the project I’m on right now; man his environments are so good.

The only Epic-related images I can find in his portfolio are two he did for UT3 in 2007.. but this interview was in 2009.. So that's not it..

But let's check George Hull's website then, shall we?

http://www.ghull.com/#/126011

A-ha!

georgehull-4fb4a54710nukdn.jpg

georgehull-4fb54edb106jkyc.jpg

georgehull-4fb4a55810aoj8d.jpg

georgehull-4fb4a5381090j5c.jpg

georgehull-4fb4a54110i1jw0.jpg

I hope it's not Bulletstorm, a game I didn't like and haven't played to the end, lol

------

Bonus, a cut robotic-animal-creature from Crysis 1 drawn in 2005:

georgehull-4fb4a54c10g2kfv.jpg

It looks awesome! Combining what looks like Western, Futuristic & Subterranean feels into one game... That's the kind of stuff that needs to happen nowadays!

Eideka

Banned
Wow and I almost missed that, thank you angular graphics.

I hope that's not the Samaritan, I want this to turn into a AAA game soooo bad. :(

http://kotaku.com/5982905/apparently-the-story-behind-epics-dazzling-2011-tech-demo-is-a-doozy

Samaritan was an impressive piece of work, but it was also mysterious. Who was that character? What was that world? Was this from some sort of game that existed at some point? Would we ever see any of this kind of stuff in an actual Epic game? No one really knew.

Yesterday, in the first sizable update to his personal Tumblr, former Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski had this to say about it:

Q. What was that "Samaritan" demo that Epic produced a while back?

A. One day I'll be able to give the full story on that. It's really a doozy. If journalists nag Epic enough and they give the OK I'd be glad to give details.

Nag Epic about it? Okay then! I sent a quick note off to Epic to ask them about the demo, and whether or not it was okay for Bleszinski to talk about it.

An Epic Games spokesperson got back to me and said that they're not at liberty to talk about what they do or don't discuss with Bleszinski (who parted ways with Epic last fall), but did offer the following comment regarding Samaritan:

We don't have anything new to say about the Samaritan demo. Really! It was a "doozy" of a learning experience—after all, it was Epic's self-proclaimed love letter to hardware manufacturers. Samaritan shows what developers can do with Unreal Engine 3's DirectX 11 feature set, and in terms of R&D, it helped us realize new ways to optimize Unreal Engine 4 for next-gen game development.

Here's where the plot thickens just a bit: in the time since we first saw Bleszinski's Tumblr post last night and now, the bit about Samaritan has been removed. We can only hope that one day he really is able to give the full story, since it sounds like it might be a good one. I've reached out to him to see if he's interested in talking about it, but haven't heard back. (I'll of course update if I do hear anything.)

So, we've got both parties saying it was a "doozy," but no real sense of what that means. What do you think?

Sooooo.. "Samaritan" was "Sector 017"?

Top Bottom