• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Aksys publishing 999 sequel (3DS, probably Vita) in NA by year's end

redlemon

Sigh. Why region locking why? I guess I'll just have to hope that a good deal on the vita shows up between now and then.

Aksys, if you release a boxed retail copy of the Vita version I'll import the game day one. I just pray this isn't a 3DS retail and Vita DD only release as that cuts off both of my options for playing it - because lets be fair, Rising Star won't bother to release it in Europe just like they didn't bother with 999.

Oh, but for the love of god don't release a promo watch again, I've just had to pay almost $200 to get my hands on one - my wallet can't take any more.

Thores

YAAAAAAAAY

Also, Good People Die is an awesome name. Hope that sticks. On the other hand it could be named "Everybody Toilet Time" and I would still buy a copy Day 0.

wrowa

All the information you seek and more will be revealed in due time~

Though maybe you can learn the truth faster if you access the morphogenic field :eek:

Can you tell us whether or not the Vita version is going to be released too? That shouldn't be a secret, should it? :S

Belisarius

Neo Member
Buying day 1 and making love to one of the Aksys employees. O:

8BaKjl.jpg

MY BODY IS READY

Famassu

There's only two ways I can see this go for Aksys:

Vita & 3DS release = Eternal salvation
No Vita version = Eternal damnation

Zomba13

What are the chances it comes to the EU? I won't be able to import this time unless I get a Vita which I don't really want to get until there is more I want for it (which at the moment would be this game and the inevitable Kingdom Hearts spin off/side story that will get released for it). I'd rather a 3DS version anyway.

I'm happy for all you English speaking folk. It's a fantastic game. I'm 15 hours into the Vita version and nowhere even remotely close to done.

K is also super happy for you too!

AmNSnfRCAAAbdOK.jpg:large

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh yes... anyone who hasn't played 999 probably should do so before picking this one up.

If you're like me it'll totally turn you off!

Still, if the story isn't complete garbage in this game, I'm looking forward to it. As much as I hate 999, the atmosphere, music, and interface are all great. I feel there's a solid foundation for a good story to be told.

What are the chances it comes to the EU? I won't be able to import this time unless I get a Vita which I don't really want to get until there is more I want for it (which at the moment would be this game and the inevitable Kingdom Hearts spin off/side story that will get released for it). I'd rather a 3DS version anyway.

999 didn't come to EU, so, yeah...

schlew

While I understand people's reasoning behind supporting the Vita version, here's some that pull me towards the 3DS (using 999 as a basis):

-the DS original played with the dual screen nature of the system, and something similar could pop up on the 3DS version.

-I enjoyed how top screen text was spoken dialogue, and the bottom screen was devoted to characters thoughts and actions

-as well, the bottom screen kept track of all the dialogue, so you could easily browse backwards and catch up in you got lost in all the techno-babble

Now, all this could have been thrown out the window if GPD doesn't support the same features of the DS original. But as it stands, I'm down for the 3DS version. But more people playing the better.

TheExodu5

Banned

I have no idea what sacred cow is supposed to mean. :( (edit: wikipedia to the rescue)

Heh, I was overly harsh on it, but I definitely felt cheated when I finished it. I still stand by my assessment, though I would do so with perhaps less hyperbole this time around.

-the DS original played with the dual screen nature of the system, and something similar could pop up on the 3DS version.

I still don't understand the "mind blown!" comments regarding this section. It was neat, but nothing extraordinary. I certainly wouldn't bat an eye if I had to miss out on that little twist for greatly superior visuals.

weeaboo

Our beloved weird weeaboo publishers Rising Star Games or Ghostlight could save us but yeah, who knows

So many emotions! Thank you Aksys!!!

Let's break it down...

-Hurray for visual novels in North America!

-Anyone who hasn't played 999 yet, do so immediately.

-I love the name Good People Die, it's very striking. I hope y'all decided to keep it.

-I still don't know which version I'll get, though I'm strongly leaning towards getting both.

-Please don't forget about Canada Aksys! It took a long time for 999 to be available locally, and that has been on ongoing occurrence with many of your games. I know you guys are a small firm, but Canucks want some love too! It's hard to convince my friends to give your games a shot if they can't go out and buy them. I hope your recent successes will enable you guys to have a stronger presence in the North. :)

AniHawk

While I understand people's reasoning behind supporting the Vita version, here's some that pull me towards the 3DS (using 999 as a basis):

-I enjoyed how top screen text was spoken dialogue, and the bottom screen was devoted to characters thoughts and actions

-as well, the bottom screen kept track of all the dialogue, so you could easily browse backwards and catch up in you got lost in all the techno-babble

Now, all this could have been thrown out the window if GPD doesn't support the same features of the DS original. But as it stands, I'm down for the 3DS version. But more people playing the better.

i think that the plot twist won't be revisited simply because the game does exist on both platforms.

If you're like me it'll totally turn you off!

Still, if the story isn't complete garbage in this game, I'm looking forward to it. As much as I hate 999, the atmosphere, music, and interface are all great. I feel there's a solid foundation for a good story to be told.

Story in 999 was fantastic. Anyway, that being said, they went way out there for the 999 story, I'd imagine now that they have a budget they'll try and up the crazy by a whole lot. I mean, look, one of the 9 is a robot bhuddist. Most likely you'd end up hating the new story even more than 999s.

TheExodu5

Banned
I want to give the nod to one little feature I loved in 999: when you click an area of interest, it highlights the whole area so that you don't waste time pixel hunting the rest of the area for clues. I hope more adventure games adopt this little interface aid. It's really tough to go back to the investigation portions of Phoenix Wright after 999.

Story in 999 was fantastic. Anyway, that being said, they went way out there for the 999 story, I'd imagine now that they have a budget they'll try and up the crazy by a whole lot. I mean, look, one of the 9 is a robot bhuddist. Most likely you'd end up hating the new story even more than 999s.

Maybe I'll come into this one with different expectations. Expectations were a big reason why 999 was such a disaster for me.

That being said, even if I hated the story, at least it ended up being memorable. That exhibits some worth to me.

I have no idea what sacred cow is supposed to mean. :( (edit: wikipedia to the rescue)

Heh, I was overly harsh on it, but I definitely felt cheated when I finished it. I still stand by my assessment, though I would do so with perhaps less hyperbole this time around.

I still don't understand the "mind blown!" comments regarding this section. It was neat, but nothing extraordinary. I certainly wouldn't bat an eye if I had to miss out on that little twist for greatly superior visuals.

I don't mean to get on your case, but part of the reason people loved the 999 Ending wasn't just because of the actual ending.

It was because (Seriously huge spoilers do not highlight if you haven't beaten 999 ) -

It re-contextualized the entirety of the game and used the ins and outs of the visual novel to add texture to that revelation. A huge part of of visual novels, particularly 999 because it's a mystery, is that every time you go back in, you have more information in YOUR head than the protagonist, even though they are supposed to be your avatar. This is played on with the morphogenic fields idea, but it's more than that.

When you flip the DS, you realize that the entire game you've been playing two characters. The top screen is June watching the events through the field, and the bottom is Junpeis actions. As you keep cycling through new events and endings, like you always do in a visual novel, June is exploring all the parallel realities possible, with every bad end creating a time paradox and game over. It's fucking great.

vitacola

Is the 3DS "hardware region locked" or "game region locked" like the 360?
If it is only "game region locked" you know your mission Aksys.
If it is "hardware region locked" who's with me emailing Rising Star everyday until they release the game in Europe? Damn, I want this ...

LiK

Is the 3DS "hardware region locked" or "game region locked" like the 360?
If it is only "game region locked" you know your mission Aksys.
If it is "hardware region locked" who's with me emailing Rising Star everyday until they release the game in Europe? Damn, I want this ...

3DS is region-locked in both hardware and software.

Top Bottom