• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CONFIRMED: COD:IW & MWR - no crossplay support between Win10 Store and rest of PC

Card Boy

Banned
Not sure if mentioned but GWENT will do the same thing and and GOG players won't be able to play with XBONE/Windows Store players.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not sure if mentioned but GWENT will do the same thing and and GOG players won't be able to play with XBONE/Windows Store players.

Fortunately, Gwent will be on Steam once the game transitions from beta to "final" release and I imagine the Steam version will support crossplay with the GOG version as although CDPR has yet to release a multiplayer game on Steam, after Rebellion bought Alien versus Predator from Fox it patched in cross-platform multiplayer.

Finaj

Have we figured out who was really responsible for this? I know MS had a statement, but has Activision said anything?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Have we figured out who was really responsible for this? I know MS had a statement, but has Activision said anything?

I don't think Acti will respond. It has little reason to; technically, all Microsoft said is that Acti didn't implement cross-platform multiplayer, which is true. It's more the "Why?" than the "Who?" that is the mystery and I'll be surprised if either party clarifies.

Wait really? Do you have a source for that?

I think he's mistaken. The FAQ says this:

Do you support cross-play and cross-buy, i.e. purchasing items on platform A and using them on platform B?
We can confirm cross-play between Xbox One and PC -- all other options are being discussed. When GWENT launches on Windows 10 as an UWP application, the account between UWP and Xbox One will be shared. That means progress and cards are shared between both platforms.

That a distinction is made between cross-play and cross-buy suggests to me that the X1 and WinStore versions will share a common network framework.

LordRaptor

Why would you want Steamworks as a customer.

It offers an extensive suite of beneficial gaming features that literally nobody else offers on any other platform for zero cost to me.

Why wouldn't I want it?

What you fail to see is that regardless of the split - be it as pitiful for the Windows Store as it is right now or actually something like 50/50 between WS and Steam - the player base would be split and that in itself is unacceptable. And that is 100% on Activision.

No, why is that 100% on Activision?

Microsoft - or more specifically the Xbox division at Microsoft - decided their existing digital storefronts aren't good enough to sell games on (but is fine to sell vastly more expensive software on).
Microsoft decided they needed an entirely new storefront. A storefront that doesn't sell things people want to buy.
Microsoft further decided they needed an entirely new type of executable that they are the sole controller of and that is not interoperable - by design - with existing executables.
Microsoft created that split.

How is it anyone except MS who is responsible?

SirKhalid

Wait really? Do you have a source for that?
It's not true, people that are playing in the beta said there was cross play. I didn't get a chance to try it yet. But people are even suggesting to disabled cross play for now because pc player can buy keg for cards and Xbox player cannot.

horkrux

It offers an extensive suite of beneficial gaming features that literally nobody else offers on any other platform for zero cost to me.

Why wouldn't I want it?

I'm pretty sure GfWL offered that years ago. And if platforms don't offer that, that should either be rectified or the game should mitigate that. Not sure why I would want to have Steamworks, when a game already offers matchmaking and anti-cheat by itself and I bought the game on a different platform anyway. Of course if people spend your entire PC gaming life on Steam, they'll start to demand things like 'Steamworks', since that offers all that and they have heard of the term.

Microsoft - or more specifically the Xbox division at Microsoft - decided their existing digital storefronts aren't good enough to sell games on (but is fine to sell vastly more expensive software on).
Microsoft decided they needed an entirely new storefront. A storefront that doesn't sell things people want to buy.
Microsoft further decided they needed an entirely new type of executable that they are the sole controller of and that is not interoperable - by design - with existing executables.
Microsoft created that split.

How is it anyone except MS who is responsible?

They are responsible, because they wanted their own store, on which Activision decided to sell their new game on?
You can criticize them for UWP however many times you like (certainly justified), it still doesn't prove that matchmaking across Steam and WS was such a huge undertaking to pull off. It's a very specific thing and it can't be explained away by 'yeah well, they're using their own executables'. We're talking online services having to connect with each other here, not executables. Saying that it's difficult by design (moreso than with other platforms) is nothing but speculation at this point.

You're asking them to sell Steam games basically, because that's the only thing that would have made cross-platform matchmaking work out of the box.

LordRaptor

I'm pretty sure GfWL offered that years ago. And if platforms don't offer that, that should either be rectified or the game should mitigate that. Not sure why I would want to have Steamworks, when a game already offers matchmaking and anti-cheat by itself and I bought the game on a different platform anyway. Of course if people spend your entire PC gaming life on Steam, they'll start to demand things like 'Steamworks', since that offers all that and they have heard of the term.

You seem to be very mis-informed about the PC as a gaming platform.
GFWL even at its height offered less featurs than Steamworks did, was more inconvenient to customers on multiple levels, and cost publishers money to implement what features were present.
Games don't have anti-cheat or matchmaking "for free" or by default. They frequently use third party services to provide those features, because making games is really expensive, and any middleware that reduces cost is beneficial.

Saying that it's difficult by design (moreso than with other platforms) is nothing but speculation at this point.

UWAs are sandboxed by explicit design. That is not speculative.

You're asking them to sell Steam games basically, because that's the only thing that would have made cross-platform matchmaking work out of the box.

No, I'm saying "cross platform" wouldn't even be part of the conversation for the PC SKUs if the W10 appstore was literally any other digital gaming storefront.

Xater

It's not true, people that are playing in the beta said there was cross play. I didn't get a chance to try it yet. But people are even suggesting to disabled cross play for now because pc player can buy keg for cards and Xbox player cannot.

Yep definitely not true. I also already encountered PC players on XBone.

horkrux

GFWL even at its height offered less featurs than Steamworks did, was more inconvenient to customers on multiple levels, and cost publishers money to implement what features were present.
Games don't have anti-cheat or matchmaking "for free" or by default. They frequently use third party services to provide those features, because making games is really expensive, and any middleware that reduces cost is beneficial.

I don't know about that. I remember being able to jump into a game a friend was playing in Gears 1. Not sure which feature was missing there that only Steamworks could have offered in comparison. Anti-cheat maybe, but it definitely didn't allow stuff like Cheat Engine to tap into the process, so that's at least something.

And of course these features are not 'free'. Anti-cheat was offered many years through applications like Punkbuster for many popular games. My point is: I, as a customer, don't give a shit how developers implement these features. If CoD has their own anti-cheat and it works (it had, but it didn't work, that's when you should care I guess), then I won't scream for anti-cheat through Steamworks. Again: I'm a customer. I don't care how much it costs the developers to implement these features. I just want them (or not). I'm deliberately ignoring the developer's side of things here, because it doesn't matter when I buy a game. What matters is the result.

UWAs are sandboxed by explicit design. That is not speculative.

Cool. That must automatically without further proof mean that server communication for matchmaking is also affected. Not.

No, I'm saying "cross platform" wouldn't even be part of the conversation for the PC SKUs if the W10 appstore was literally any other digital gaming storefront.

Wow. 'Any other digital gaming storefront'. That's what I've been talking about all this time by mentioning platforms like Desura. Yet the fact that it would actually be different is still speculation.

LordRaptor

I, as a customer, don't give a shit how developers implement these features. If CoD has their own anti-cheat and it works (it had, but it didn't work, that's when you should care I guess), then I won't scream for anti-cheat through Steamworks. Again: I'm a customer. I don't care how much it costs the developers to implement these features. I just want them (or not). I'm deliberately ignoring the developer's side of things here, because it doesn't matter when I buy a game. What matters is the result.

And the result is more content because development budget was spent on content and not technical backends.

And the result is also useful applications being handled by the platform the game you buy is using, and not having to install a chat app to communicate with friends, and a plugin for that app that prints the game and server you are playing on when you start a game, and not having to install punkbuster, and not having apps secretly installed like starforce as part of game installation, and not having to install something like All Seeing Eye to find servers, and not having to install Fraps to take screencaps and videocapture, and not having to install joy2key to use a controller, and not having to browse fileplanet to check for patch updates, or queue for an hour to wait to download a patch update, or any of the other myriad of features provided that I - as a consumer - find beneficial.

e:
Because literally the only reason why a PC gamer would say "I don't want steamworks integration on my multiplayer game" is "because I want anything other than valve" which is a mentality I cannot even understand, let alone agree with.

It's pretty poor to segregate the pc community like this, personally i blame Activision.
However if they decide to let pc and Xbox one play together then arguably the win store version would be the better of the 2 pc releases due to the larger console player base. Would some how need to limit the win store version to controller only for multiplayer in this scenario though

horkrux

And the result is more content because development budget was spent on content and not technical backends.

Now that's just naïve. In the case of PC ports like CoD it wouldn't even apply.

And the result is also useful applications being handled by the platform the game you buy is using, and not having to install a chat app to communicate with friends, and a plugin for that app that prints the game and server you are playing on when you start a game, and not having to install punkbuster, and not having apps secretly installed like starforce as part of game installation, and not having to install something like All Seeing Eye to find servers, and not having to install Fraps to take screencaps and videocapture, and not having to install joy2key to use a controller, and not having to browse fileplanet to check for patch updates, or queue for an hour to wait to download a patch update, or any of the other myriad of features provided that I - as a consumer - find beneficial.

Yes. Many useful features in one place, which is why people like these platforms so much. But let's keep it focused on matchmaking or even dedicated servers, which many games have always supported np without 3rd party applications anyway. Punkbuster could have also been convenient, but you then had to update it yourself I believe, which certainly wasn't.

e:
Because literally the only reason why a PC gamer would say "I don't want steamworks integration on my multiplayer game" is "because I want anything other than valve" which is a mentality I cannot even understand, let alone agree with.

I never said I explicitly didn't want it, but I'm also not going to run out and say that I demand Steamworks in particular.

Lazaro

"Will be"? It's already in single digits.

Judging by the capture page on the Xbox app, there's 5 unique gamers (including Mike Ybarra) posting screenshots/clips.

aXyCwyP.png

EDIT: and one player posted in COD4 Remastered.

Top Bottom