• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Playstation 4 will release in Europe in 2013

goonergaz

Aaannnyyywway...I'm excited by the potential of a UK 2013 release too, but it's yet to be confirmed. All the banner said was that PS4 is coming in 2013, which it is, just it doesn't say where and lets not forget it was shown worldwide.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Man.... Can't wait. Will preorder as soon as the final price gets announced and my local store here takes preorders. :)

FINALLY a new console. It's been soooooooooo long damn it.

Aguirre

PS4_meme_kaz_hirai_PlayStation_4_01.gif

dang this is a quality gif.

also

i wonder if one could import a ps4 from europe if its releasing there first?

Satchel

Banned
Most likely means Australia is getting it too around the same time.

Gonna be one expensive Christmas. Not sure the $1200AU i have saved will cover both consoles. Most likely one and a half. Or might have to wait for one a little longer.

Aaannnyyywway...I'm excited by the potential of a UK 2013 release too, but it's yet to be confirmed. All the banner said was that PS4 is coming in 2013, which it is, just it doesn't say where and lets not forget it was shown worldwide.

I don't think Sony want to troll Europe.

PaulLFC

whilst I agree it's hardly confirmation
The same was in the Metro (UK newspaper), on posters outside Sony's fan area near the stadium, and a photo of the ad boards was tweeted by the European PlayStation blog. How much more confirmation do they need to give?

Edit: And in-store advertising in the UK too.

Certinty

Yeah SCEE have pretty much gone all out on their 2013 release advertising on Twitter, Facebook, newspaper ads, football yesterday etc. No way if it wasn't confirmed they would make such a big deal about it.

So was there an ad or not?
No but ps4 coming 2013 was seen by more than 200mio people on the digital banners in the stadium.
In the end this is probably a better way advertising it than just one TV spot. ~90 minutes constant advertising vs a 2-3min spot when everyone gets a new beer.

Krisprolls

Banned
There was an Assassin's Creed 4 ad at the end of the game in France with "Coming soon on PS4", but no real PS4 ad here.

dancmc

While they will definitely release in Europe this year, the US and Uk are the territories where they won't want any significant delay behind MS. Japan and rest of Europe they could probably release whenever and still outpace MS in sales

I think it's a testament to how shitty Sony has treated Europe that people don't believe the PS4 isn't coming this year when they said so at one of the biggest sporting events in the world that it is. I believe the reason for the PS3 delay was a manufacturing issue. As long as Sony can get enough consoles made, which I think they can, then there shouldn't be any issues. Sony has committed to a release here now anyway and it'll be a disaster if omit changes.

I think it's a testament to how shitty Sony has treated Europe that people don't believe the PS4 isn't coming this year when they said so at one of the biggest sporting events in the world that it is. I believe the reason for the PS3 delay was a manufacturing issue. As long as Sony can get enough consoles made, which I think they can, then there shouldn't be any issues. Sony has committed to a release here now anyway and it'll be a disaster if omit changes.

If they finalize the specs in June and start the manufacturing process in July to make as many units as possible, then they'll be in DAMN good shape.

Amir0x

Banned
Good for Sony. They need everything to go right with PS4, we as gamers all do, to stop what's coming on the other side.

Kyoufu

Good for Sony. They need everything to go right with PS4, we as gamers all do, to stop what's coming on the other side.

You mean MS's used game policy or Always-On Kinect?

I have a bad feeling Sony will incorporate some sort of used game DRM, otherwise EA wouldn't abandon Project $10. I hope I'm wrong.

reminder

The Champions League is an european event and SCEE is responsible for advertising. So yeah, the date is meant for Europe.

wrowa

Champion's League is as much an European event as the Super Bowl is a US event. The Super Bowl might be watched by people outside of the US, but no one would think that the ads are targeted at anyone else than the domestic market.

goonergaz

Cool, I though the papers only said coming soon...fantastic if they do it, got pre-order in day one so should get one even if shortages :)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The same was in the Metro (UK newspaper), on posters outside Sony's fan area near the stadium, and a photo of the ad boards was tweeted by the European PlayStation blog. How much more confirmation do they need to give?

Edit: And in-store advertising in the UK too.

Well, the only stumbling block here is that when asked to clarify if this was was absolute confirmation of a release in Europe this year, they were a little bit less than explicit. They said it was just a restatement of what was announced in Feb.

It would be a terrible tease/troll for them to run these ads if they're not highly confident - if not certain - of a release this year in Europe, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Guys, what about Australia? Guys? Guyyyyyyyyyys! ;_;

There's no reason to believe that Australia will get left out; the PS3 launched in Europe and Australia on 23/03/2007 and even the PS2 was only a week "late" to our shores.

I'm just worried about the price, given how ridiculous the PS3's launch price was here. I don't want to see an Aussie Tax of more than $150, with $100 or less being ideal.

Alpende

It would be stupid if they release it for Europe in 2014 while advertising to do it in 2013 now.

Still, right now I'd buy the PS4 in a heartbeat over the Xbone.

You mean MS's used game policy or Always-On Kinect?

I have a bad feeling Sony will incorporate some sort of used game DRM, otherwise EA wouldn't abandon Project $10. I hope I'm wrong.

Seriously, why do people think this?

Everytime something bad about X1 comes up it's "I bet Sony is doing this too!" except theirs NOTHING to indicate that. No rumors, no leaks, NOTHING.

Until Sony says otherwise, they aren't following MS' path.

Knoxcore

I think you guys need to take a step back. An ad and tweet is not confirmation at all. Wait until an official release date is announced or you just set yourself up for disappointment. Remember a lot of you assumed Sony will air a TV spot for Champions League.

Portugeezer

I think you guys need to take a step back. An ad and tweet is not confirmation at all. Wait until an official release date is announced or you just set yourself up for disappointment. Remember a lot of you assumed Sony will air a TV spot for Champions League.

If this, along with in store ads in the UK, isn't confirmation then I don't know what is.

I wonder if this is, like, a political gambit by SCEE. A delay now would be disastrous for Sony. They could be trying to force Corporate's hand if there is indeed an issue with launch allocations.

Sony has absolutely lost the plot if they delay in Europe to launch in Japan, but I kind of can't see how Japan could consume so many units that it would be material. How many PS4s would Japan need for 6 months? 500k? It's not material.

Material enough to probably allocate those units to US/EU if either territory is having widespread supply shortages.

Sony really needs to capitalize on their early launch in the US in particular to recapture some lost marketshare from MS.

Top Bottom