• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Project CARS delayed to March 20th 2015

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Early Access maybe?

This. Seems weird they haven't done that yet to make money. Also weird they'd delay it... a month(?) before launch. Isn't that generally when most titles "go gold" and launch?

wiggleb0t

Banned
As early supporter I hoped this would happen. The game is fantastic and doesn't deserve to die just because of terrible release window. And more time for polish is always good.

+1
The Dev team is glorious. Wax on, wax off. More sales gives them more to go towards PCARS2

witness

Well Evo just got a break with Driveclub. Sad that this is delayed, but my wallet is pretty about it as I had one game too many I was planning to get next month.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
LOL this game is never coming out.
happy0157.gif

Also, why are so many of you guys giving this delay a pass, but you've crucified 90's Arcade Racer for being delayed, and yet both of them are suffering miserably from "Duke Nukem Forever/Half Life 3" syndrome.

Gestault

In a weird way this is good new for me. Getting my fill of Horizon 2 and presumably Driveclub will take a while. I'll be waiting, happily.

from the post it sounds like its virtually all for polish

It definitely seems to be feature complete, all the cars currently being modeled are for post-release DLC as far as I can tell. I'd say the main things that need working on are track decorations, you can tell which have been focused on and which have been left in alpha phase for a while. They're all playable but some are lacking scenery.

I haven't played anything of this yet. What's so special about Project Cars?

It's a new IP aiming to be a raw simulator that, for a change, is also coming to console a la Race Pro. Also it's insanely good looking.

Varth

Good. If only because there's a chance that the PS3 wheel compatibility will clear a bit on december. DC is bearable without a wheel. This, not so much.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
happy0157.gif

Also, why are so many of you guys giving this delay a pass, but you've crucified 90's Arcade Racer for being delayed, and yet both of them are suffering miserably from "Duke Nukem Forever/Half Life 3" syndrome.

can you link to posts from people who gave this a pass AND criticized 90s arcade racer, or are you just generalizing?

If they are delaying it, it will be for the benefit of both the game and the consumer.

Tell that to Drive Club. Although jokes aside it is a good thing. I feel the game would have got eaten up anyway. What with DC and FH2 just releasing and the Crew round the corner, not to mention the AAA onslaught in mid November. March seems great.

If you paid for $45€ tier, you can get Steam or digital console version for free when the game is released.

You also get a small share of the game's earnings if it sells beyond 250k copies, I think.

Also, I paid for that tier. Is it possible that I can keep the version I have on Steam and get the Xbox version or will it disappear from my library unless I pick Steam?

Well that is extremely disappointing since I was looking forward to it in November, but if they need the extra time I'm ok with it.

happy0157.gif

Project Cars - announced in late 2011
90's Arcade Racer - announced in early 2013

Neither one is even close to DNF territory yet.

can you link to posts from people who gave this a pass AND criticized 90s arcade racer, or are you just generalizing?
Yes please. If you're going to call people hypocrites you need to be more specific than that.

happy0157.gif

Considering many gaf members (including myself) are playing this daily I think its a little silly to say never!

Game is great but its not quite finished, its close but it needs a little longer, personally I respect an honest decision from the dev, would rather than that problems and patches.

Nintendo forcing release parity

Good news. I check out every update through Steam and it definitely needs more time.

Plus, the timing will likely mean more sales anyway. Both with racing games just released (Driveclub, Forza) and other big names around the end of the year.

Seanspeed

Banned
happy0157.gif

Huh? People are actually playing Project Cars as we speak. Have been for a while. The state of the game's progress is quite well documented.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Project Cars - announced in late 2011
90's Arcade Racer - announced in early 2013

Neither one is even close to DNF territory yet.

not to mention that both started off with crowd funding with an announcement long before most games would be.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Huh? People are actually playing Project Cars as we speak. Have been for a while. The state of the game's progress is quite well documented.

Yeah but some of us haven't been so lucky and would've liked to see the game released this year. The game was announced in 2011 and now is delayed til 2015......2015!! Hell, what if it's delayed again til 2016? 2017? How is that not entering DNF territory?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Good for Drive Club and people like me that bought that game. Now I can wait for the weather and screenshot update and not worry about it coming along side Project Cars release date.
3AQmK.gif

artsi

Well many seem happy that there will be more polish, sure it's nice, but personally I'm bummed since I was waiting a lot for the release and no chance to play yet like the backers do.

I just hope there will be an early access.

Yeah but some of us haven't been so lucky and would've liked to see the game released this year. The game was announced in 2011 and now is delayed til 2015......2015!! Hell, what if it's delayed again til 2016? 2017? How is that not entering DNF territory?
What if it's delayed until 2050? Holy shit you're onto something here!

Watevaman

I like how the screenshot has a statement at the bottom that says "don't share this until we release the press release" yet the dude on reddit, this news source, and OP don't seem to give a shit.

This. Seems weird they haven't done that yet to make money. Also weird they'd delay it... a month(?) before launch. Isn't that generally when most titles "go gold" and launch?

Why would they need more funding? They've been fully funded for almost two years now, I believe.

And unless you guys are playing the game, you really have no idea how far along it is. I can say with utmost certainty that I'm confident it's coming along fine.

Seanspeed

Banned
The point is that we know what state the game is in. Its not years away.

kafiend

So you personally are salty because you can't play it yet and accuse it of being vaporware despite knowing full well that others have been playing it for a long time?

It's great BTW but not as polished as I'd like. It's good news in many ways that it's been pushed back.

Confirmed.

press release said:
Slightly Mad Studios and BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe S.A.S today announced they will be moving the release of Project CARS for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC to March 20th 2015 in Europe and Australasia.

The move positions the title away from the competitive holiday scene dominated by household names while affording the team at Slightly Mad Studios additional time to extend and polish their ground-breaking and accomplished next-gen racing experience that’s been created alongside a community of over 85,000 racing fans and real-life professional drivers.

“Our goal has always been to deliver a landmark title that encompasses the wishes and desires of racing fans from all around the world; something with features and content powered by the community that provide a truly unforgettable and pioneering experience” said Ian Bell, Head of Studio at Slightly Mad Studios. “Whilst a tough decision to make, the change in release date allows the game the greatest chance of success and visibility, and the opportunity to polish the game even further to the high standards that both ourselves and our community demand and expect. We’re eager for you all to see what we’ve been working on in just a few months.”

Megasoum

Banned

I don't know for this specific case since I'm not "in the know" but I can tell you from experience that generally speaking the decision to actually delay the game is often taken long before it is announced publicly.

For example, in this case, I wouldn't be surprised that they decided to delay it back in july/august but waited until now to announce it.

It's not like you wake up one morning, a month from release, and realize that your game isn't ready to ship lol. You see those things coming when you are developping a game.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I'm ok with this. More months to polish the game across all platforms and the window will be less filled with racing titles. Releasing now puts it in with DriveClub, Forza Horizon 2, The Crew and I suppose F1 2014.

Top Bottom