• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Silicon Knights laid off half their workforce, working on requested sequel

Danielsan

Haven't made a decent game since Eternal Darkness, and I didn't think that game was all that either. Not surprised. Sad to see people losing their jobs of course.

inky

Totobeni said:
Well..Ninja Theory is a studio that release big budget shitty games that bombs but still get biggest publishers in the industry..SK at least made one good game long long time ago.

Ninja Theory also has great technology (at least motion capture and animation stuff) and art behind their games. I can't say the same thing for SK. NT's games just don't have great appeal for the budget at which they are produced.

Ridley327

Mama Robotnik said:
Blood Omen; Eternal Darkness and Twin Snakes were all superb.

Where oh where did it all go wrong? Parting ways with Nintendo, perhaps?
Has there ever been a second-party dev from Nintendo that has flourished once they parted ways?

Mooreberg

How does a developer without an additional revenue stream (engines, distribution platform, subscriptions, etc) go six years in between original projects? They were never officially "owned" by an publisher, so it seems like they would be responsible for their own operation costs.

Vamphuntr

TAS said:
8 million in funding grants? That's ridiculous.

I agree that I find it quite horrible that some my tax money went to them but at the same time they were able to have people employed with that amount. I don't live in Ontario but how many dev studios are there in St-Catharines? Probably only Silicon Knights... Might be why the government tried helping the company to prosper.

Shiggy

Father_Brain said:
Is it true that Destiny was in development for over two years (albeit originally sans X-license), despite looking like it was only in the works for half that time?

The prototype was started in January-March 2009, full production started in fall 2009.

Yeah, hope those laid off can find jobs. They can make gold when they want to, maybe they just need supervision to give them the focus? Blood Omen was published and supervised by Crystal Dynamics, Eternal Darkness by Nintendo, and when they finally go it alone we end up with Too Human, alas.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Canadian voters found out just where their tax money was going.

Trojita said:
Great investment Ontario.

Onion_Relish said:
my tax dollars... my poor tax dollars...

bryehn said:
I can't believe a business with an essentially failing/losing track record got that kind of scratch in the first place.

MrHicks said:
whats with them getting repeated funding from canada???

Takao said:
Welp, there goes a bunch of my parent's tax money.

UberTag said:
I'm sure we'll continue to fund SK with Ontario taxpayer money when the staff is reduced to Dyack and two other people working out of his basement. Predicting a "10-year development cycle" for his next ambitious project.

If not UBI, I hope Capybara is able to rope in anyone with talent that was let go.

OK. You guys gotta chill out and actually look at what money is coming from where:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Knights#Government_funding

- The OMDC funding was for creating a prototype, it does not guarantee a product completion.

- The Federal Grant is for hiring staff: If this news turns out true, I would think the government can get it's money back (if it has even been given out in the first place).

- The last one, 3 Million from Provincial, is the one that I haven't heard of, and I have to wonder exactly what was promised with "improve it's technology, create new products and become a self-publishing company". And more specifically, it still doesn't guarantee that they aren't cutting jobs.

And the Curse of Nintendo continues!

I guess Xmen didn't do well enough to keep them afloat. Sad to see such an ambitious developer go down like this.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:
Last time I checked Nintendo's financial report they still owned a small bit of SK for whatever reason.

Last time I checked it listed all subsidiaries and then listed three or so as "other subsidiaries" - not directly naming SK anymore.

One of those funded prototypes was Siren in the Maelstrom, which failed to get a publisher.

Mooreberg said:
How does a developer without an additional revenue stream (engines, distribution platform, subscriptions, etc) go six years in between original projects? They were never officially "owned" by an publisher, so it seems like they would be responsible for their own operation costs.
IIRC, there's a few projects here and there that never made it. Remember the Sega deal? And the THQ one? It's not like they did nothing but Destiny for 6 years (or if they did... oh boy)...
Vamphuntr said:
I agree that I find it quite horrible that some my tax money went to them but at the same time they were able to have people employed with that amount. I don't live in Ontario but how many dev studios are there in St-Catharines? Probably only Silicon Knights... Might be why the government tried helping the company to prosper.
Console space? Just them. Southern Ontario has a few more studios though, but nothing compared to the numbers in Quebec, and the amount of funding they get.

Kind of shocking to me. I mean, if they were able to stay afloat after Too Human, I can't believe X-Men is what sunk them. They had to know it was garbage and was going to sell two copies. Must have been a pretty shitty work enviroment knowing once this game was done there was a good chance you were going under.

Ridley327

Mooreberg said:
There's been evidence that pointed to them helping out in some capacity on Darksiders. Outside of that, however, they had two games cancelled and I doubt that MS was returning their phone calls on doing another Too Human title.

Ooccoo said:
Not really surprising with such a poor history Only Eternal Darkness is decent in this list and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. GEX wasn't too bad.
cyber empires and fantasy empires were good as well. dark legions also

jling84 said:
Should have just gone from 97 to 96.
:cryack

Ravidrath

Oh man - I met a really nice dude at NYCC from there, who was leaving the company to study martial arts in Thailand.

This makes me think it maybe it wasn't voluntary.

Mama Robotnik said:
Surely recent events have taught us that we're respecting opinions as being subjective now?

Well of course, but if we also accept that the fact that they're subjective precludes arguing their case the entire internet will cease to exist.

Shiggy

Ridley327 said:
There's been evidence that pointed to them helping out in some capacity on Darksiders. Outside of that, however, they had two games cancelled and I doubt that MS was returning their phone calls on doing another Too Human title.

What was the second game being cancelled?
And yes, they did work on Darksiders as THQ cancelled the title they were working on originally.

Ridley327

Shiggy said:
What was the second game being cancelled?
And yes, they did work on Darksiders as THQ cancelled the title they were working on originally.
Their Sega project, although I can't remember off the top of my head if The Box and The Crucible were one in the same.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Sad state of affairs considering how much I, as well as my brothers, enjoyed Eternal Darkness back in the day.

But yes, curse of Nintendo.

Ridley327

IdreamofHIME said:
That's why Retro's helping out with Mario Kart3D, anything to keep Nintendo sweet and to avoid the curse.
Nintendo Curse doesn't work if you're actually fully owned by them!

Speaking of, have Armature Studio (the company Mark Pacini and a few other Retro staffers left for) actually announced anything outside of being an EA Partner?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AlphaTwo00 said:
OK. You guys gotta chill out and actually look at what money is coming from where:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Knights#Government_funding

- The OMDC funding was for creating a prototype, it does not guarantee a product completion.

- The Federal Grant is for hiring staff: If this news turns out true, I would think the government can get it's money back (if it has even been given out in the first place).

- The last one, 3 Million from Provincial, is the one that I haven't heard of, and I have to wonder exactly what was promised with "improve it's technology, create new products and become a self-publishing company". And more specifically, it still doesn't guarantee that they aren't cutting jobs.
This.

Regardless of the quality of their output, I feel bad for people who have lost their jobs if this is true. The economy isn't in very good shape at the moment, and I hope everyone lands on their feet. :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ooccoo said:
Not really surprising with such a poor history

Only Eternal Darkness is decent in this list and Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. GEX wasn't too bad.
GEX was pretty fun back in the day, but they did a fairly minor role in the game. The animations were pretty nice though from what I recall.

eXistor

Not surprising. It sucks to see any developer lose jobs or even close altogether, but you can't really say SK has been of any importance these last years. I'm sure its employees will find better places to work.

Shiggy

Ridley327 said:
Their Sega project, although I can't remember off the top of my head if The Box and The Crucible were one in the same.

I see, The Crucible = The Box = The Ritualist = THQ's project with SK

Shiggy

Ridley327 said:
Nintendo Curse doesn't work if you're actually fully owned by them!

Speaking of, have Armature Studio (the company Mark Pacini and a few other Retro staffers left for) actually announced anything outside of being an EA Partner?

Halo Anniversary outsourcing stuff, cancelled Capcom game, now working on PSN/Vita titles.

rhino4evr

Not really surprised, Eternal Darkness was a Great game but it sold poorly (IIRC) and everything since then has been overhyped and under performing. The entire GAF vs Dyack debacle really left me sour about them as a developer, and I think it really made a lot of the "hardcore" fan base dislike them even more.

I feel bad for the employees and their families, but I can't imagine they haven't seen this coming.

SlipperySlope said:
Never, ever, EVER trust a government to spend your money properly.
Man I hate the police too. And firefighters. And medical care. And roads. And

like what the fuck are you even talking about

Azih said:
Ubisoft kinda made Assassin's creed off of sweet sweet Canadian Taxpayer money.
AAAARRGGHHHHH.

QUEBEC.

FEDERAL != PROVINCIAL.

Ubisoft, EA, THQ, Eidos, WB, and countless others have all setup shop in Quebec, and receive tax breaks (I'm not sure if there's direct funding). If you want to say AC is funded by taxpayer money, at least get your location straight!

When the government give out funding (or other branches, such as the OMDC as mentioned before), it's contingent on delivery of what was promised. It's not as simple as "get funding, keep hiring". Funding can be as limited as per project basis.

Hero_of_the_Day said:
Kind of shocking to me. I mean, if they were able to stay afloat after Too Human, I can't believe X-Men is what sunk them. They had to know it was garbage and was going to sell two copies. Must have been a pretty shitty work enviroment knowing once this game was done there was a good chance you were going under.

I heard rumors that they were scrambling for a publishing deal after Too Human and that the studio was on the verge of closure back then. If this is true then I'm sure everyone there was treating the X-Men project as a temporary life line sort of thing.

Dyack laying his own wife off is an interesting rumor.

Kifimbo

AlphaTwo00 said:
AAAARRGGHHHHH.

QUEBEC.

FEDERAL != PROVINCIAL.

Ubisoft, EA, THQ, Eidos, WB, and countless others have all setup shop in Quebec, and receive tax breaks (I'm not sure if there's direct funding). If you want to say AC is funded by taxpayer money, at least get your location straight!

When the government give out funding (or other branches, such as the OMDC as mentioned before), it's contingent on delivery of what was promised. It's not as simple as "get funding, keep hiring". Funding can be as limited as per project basis.

The Quebec government actually owns 4.5% of Ubisoft (4.3 million shares).

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
two pages and still no "FOR or AGAINST" reference. not bad gaf, not bad

Top Bottom