• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Tales of Destiny remake for PS2

Neue Tales-RPGs bekannt?

17.06.06 - UNBESTÄTIGT: Die Weekly Jump soll in ihrer neuesten Ausgabe angeblich zwei neue Tales-Rollenspiele von Bandai Namco vorstellen:

- Tales of Destiny (PS2)
Remake der PS2-Version von 1997.
Release: 2006 (Japan)

- Tales of the Voice
Plattform: TBA
Release: 2006 (Japan)

Ob die beiden Spiele tatsächlich angekündigt wurden, kann zum jetzigen Zeitpunkt nicht überprüft werden - alle Angaben deshalb ohne Gewähr. Bandai Namco hat bislang keines der beiden RPGs offiziell angekündigt.

Source: www.gamefront.de

Tales of Destiny as in the one on the American PS1?

I recall some title confusion... Something about one of the earlier Tales games using "Destiny" in Japan but not releasing here, and "Destiny" here was something else there? Any recall that?

KyanMehwulfe said:
Tales of Destiny as in the one on the American PS1?

I recall some title confusion... Something about one of the earlier Tales games using "Destiny" in Japan but not releasing here, and "Destiny" here was something else there? Any recall that?

Tales of Destiny was a PSOne Tales games. It was called "Tales of Destiny" in the US and Japan. Tales of Eternia was retitled "Tales of Destiny 2" in the US. The real Tales of Destiny 2 came out on the PS2 in Japan in 2002.

duckroll

This is the same rumor I read on 2ch yesterday, but I didn't post because it's still not confirmed. It's supposed to be in the next Jump, but since there are no scans and it's just one guy repeating it, I'm taking it with a grain of salt at the moment.

Edit: For the sake of completion I'll post the complete rumor.

Tales of the Voice (platform: secret) for 2006
- Tons of party members
- Online enabled

Tales of Destiny (PS2) for Fall 2006
- Not a port, complete remake
- Field and battles are all complete 3D

Tales of the Tempest (NDS) on 8/24 2006
- Just the release date announced

ethelred

I'm really not sure what to make of this news.

I did really like Tales of Destiny a lot, but... I'm not sure whether I'd like a remake of it or not. I'm not sure it really needs a remake.

And like I said in the last thread, I was really not hoping for a PS2 Tales. It's got five already, I'd say that's enough entries in the series for the system... a sixth one at this point is just overkill. I was hoping they'd finally reveal / focus on the next-gen stuff.

Oh well.

Based off Ducky's posting of the complete rumor, Tales of the Voice sounds like the 360 Tales to me.

RaijinFY

duckroll said:
This is the same rumor I read on 2ch yesterday, but I didn't post because it's still not confirmed. It's supposed to be in the next Jump, but since there are no scans and it's just one guy repeating it, I'm taking it with a grain of salt at the moment.

Edit: For the sake of completion I'll post the complete rumor.

Tales of the Voice (platform: secret) for 2006
- Tons of party members
- Online enabled

Tales of Destiny (PS2) for Fall 2006
- Not a port, complete remake
- Field and battles are all complete 3D

Tales of the Tempest (NDS) on 8/24 2006
- Just the release date announced

Argh what an ass I am... I read Destiny and I thought of Phantasia. :/

EDIT:

Tales of the Voice sounds like the xbox360's Tales of...

klee123

Tales of the voice sounds like an online rpg. Since I ain't getting a X360, hopefully the PS3 will get a similar Tales of game as well.

7Th

Gantz said:
Have all the major Japanese game companies run out of ideas?

okami-001.jpg

ethelred

john tv said:
Because that would make sense, and Heaven forbid the people behind PSP did something that made sense. :p

Hey, now. I'm sure Tales of Eternia, Suikoden I+II, Devil Summoner, Princess Crown, and Breath of Fire III will be out in the US any day now.

WalkMan

Banned
Hmm Tales of Destiny remake, my journeys with Stahn again. Although I completed the game, it got really really freaky at the end. You start off medievil then you end up in some sci-fi space station.

Ganondorfo said:
Why isn't tales of eternia for the psp out in america?

SCEA doesn't allow direct ports or ports with minor extras on PSP. Only ports with some new content are allowed on PSP under SCEA's guidelines. Since Tales Eternia is just a straight port of the game with nothing new added, they didn't and never will approve it. That is also the reason why every single console port on PSP has extra content.

john tv

Viewtiful Darkness said:
SCEA doesn't allow direct ports or ports with minor extras on PSP. Only ports with some new content are allowed on PSP under SCEA's guidelines. Since Tales Eternia is just a straight port of the game with nothing new added, they didn't and never will approve it. That is also the reason why every single console port on PSP has extra content.
See, I think the extra screen real estate should be considered when making this decision. It wasn't in the PS1 version! Also, there was no game called "Tales of Eternia" ever released in the US before, so if they just stick with that name, maybe they can get around Sony's retardedness. :)

duckroll

john tv said:
See, I think the extra screen real estate should be considered when making this decision. It wasn't in the PS1 version! Also, there was no game called "Tales of Eternia" ever released in the US before, so if they just stick with that name, maybe they can get around Sony's retardedness. :)

A direct port is a direct port. There's NOTHING new in the ToE port. I can't see anyone remotely defending this. :p

john tv

duckroll said:
A direct port is a direct port. There's NOTHING new in the ToE port. I can't see anyone remotely defending this. :p
The 3D is smoother, and it's got widescreen. New features galore! A++

Shouta

A possible Tales of Destiny remake? Count me in. It's still my favorite Tales game from a character/story standpoint.

Mau ®

cvxfreak said:
Would Bandai Namco actually release Tales of the Tempest on the same day as Final Fantasy III? :lol

They're also releasing Tales of the Abyss on USA the same day FFXII hits. Its like they want it to flop so they don't have to localize them anymore :lol

cvxfreak

inthezone said:
They're also releasing Tales of the Abyss on USA the same day FFXII hits. Its like they want it to flop so they don't have to localize them anymore :lol

:lol WTF?

I'm sure 8/24 will probably be good for the DS hardware, but not for Bandai Namco. In 2003, Namco avoided butting heads with Square Enix by releasing Symphonia a week or two after Crystal Chronicles.

Ugh...sounds very good to be true (ToD PS2) but it also sounds very bad to be wrong (a tales on X360). Mixed opinions on this rumor...

Tales of the Tempest on August make sense, they are pretty much releasing tales just on August and December. FF3 will probably kill its hype though.

Tales of the Abyss...well, you can count on October 12th release date at 29.99$ :)

john tv

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Ugh...sounds very good to be true (ToD PS2) but it also sounds very bad to be wrong (a tales on X360). Mixed opinions on this rumor...

Tales of the Tempest on August make sense, they are pretty much releasing tales just on August and December. FF3 will probably kill its hype though.

Tales of the Abyss...well, you can count on October 12th release date at 29.99$ :)
Is it really only $29.99?

Amir0x

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Dunno...cduniverse deal was a little suspiciuos but...

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...940852-4287309?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000G7X5MM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7X5MM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Target and Amazon also wrong? 12 Oct and 29.99$. Gamefly has 12 Oct too...

Well the Target and Amazon thing is basically the same 'source'; Amazon ships the product from Target ;)

but we'll see... that'd be great. I'm very wary of Tales titles after Symphonia, so I will like to dive in at a cheap price.

inthezone said:
They're also releasing Tales of the Abyss on USA the same day FFXII hits.

We got an official date (not month, but date) on either one? Do you have any links convenient, I missed this.

john tv

Amir0x said:
Well the Target and Amazon thing is basically the same 'source'; Amazon ships the product from Target ;)

but we'll see... that'd be great. I'm very wary of Tales titles after Symphonia, so I will like to dive in at a cheap price.
Abyss is Team Symphonia, and it definitely shows. It's a fantastic game. (And it's worth the $49.99 price, unlike most RPGs these days, so I'd be surprised if it hits at $29.99.)

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:
Abyss is Team Symphonia, and it definitely shows. It's a fantastic game. (And it's worth the $49.99 price, unlike most RPGs these days, so I'd be surprised if it hits at $29.99.)

well i hope that just means aesthetically. i don't want another story as bad as the one in Symphonia :(

john tv

Amir0x said:
well i hope that just means aesthetically. i don't want another story as bad as the one in Symphonia :(
Story is MUCH better. To me, anyway. None of the cliched kiddie RPG crap that we're always spoon-fed. Great characters, great interaction, more mature themes, lots of humor. If you don't wind up liking it, you're a part of Bebpo's problem!

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:
Story is MUCH better. To me, anyway. None of the cliched kiddie RPG crap that we're always spoon-fed. Great characters, great interaction, more mature themes, lots of humor. If you don't wind up liking it, you're a part of Bebpo's problem!

Well, I'll definitely give it a good chance. I just hope it stays $29.99

Top Bottom