• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confused about surround sound with PS2 need help

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Alright so yesterday I bought my surround sound system hooked it up to the PS2 through optical. Popped in a dvd that supported surround sound but when I play it only my left and right speakers are working. When i switch to my DVR cable box and put on an channel that has surround sound it works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm not positive, but I'm reasonably certain the PS2 only supports full surround for games. Movies = stereo. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
zesty said:
I'm not positive, but I'm reasonably certain the PS2 only supports full surround for games. Movies = stereo. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Cool then that would make sense if true. How about the 360 is it the same way?

Gio_CoD

Banned
zesty said:
You're wrong. I play 5.1 movies through my PS2. I have the slimline model though, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Make sure you have 5.1 enabled in the DVD setup menu on the PS2.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Haleon said:
You're wrong. I play 5.1 movies through my PS2. I have the slimline model though, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

Sorry, I was thinking of progressive scan output. That's in-game only, yes?

Gio_CoD

Banned
zesty said:
Sorry, I was thinking of progressive scan output. That's in-game only, yes?
On older model PS2's your right, but again, the new slimline has Proscan for DVDs. It's in the DVD setup model.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Haleon said:

Are you referring to the movie set-up options or are you indicating that there is a dvd menu within the PS2 itself?

Gio_CoD

Banned
SSGMUN10000 said:
Are you referring to the movie set-up options or are you indicating that there is a dvd menu within the PS2 itself?
The PS2 has it's own setup menu. I think on the controller you press the X button and then go to Setup. From there you can enable a bunch of options like 16x9, pro scan, letterboxed, surround sound, etc....

EDIT

Press the X button while watching a DVD. If it's not X, just press every button until you get a black screen with a bunch of options. Look for setup.

Top Bottom