• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Congratulate Capcom (do it quickly) - [Capcom 30th Anniversary E3 Countdown Clock]

Riposte

That Ryu avatar is real good.

EDIT: Since there was such a short character limit I just said: "RE6 was good."

Is a confirmation message supposed to be displayed upon submtting the filled in form?

I submitted the same message thrice lest something went wrong with the cookies.

Shinta

Banned
That Ryu avatar is real good.

EDIT: Since there was such a short character limit I just said: "RE6 was good."

stanley_nod.gif

TEJ

as shitty as they have been in the past 3 years the rest of the companies history has been great.

ffs, they were king of the arcades. They've made a lot of top tier games in their respective genres. They made some of the best damned sprites, and made a lot of really cool visual designs. They made a lot of really good licensed games back in the late 80's to mid 90's.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Now why would I want to to congratulate Capcom for cancelling Mega Man, rebooting Dante in DmC, closing down Clover, releasing a game that has paid DLC in the disk and not localizing Ex Trooper.

Capcom needs to earn it by releasing good games that I actually want to play rather than ask for it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Even if my message is under 60 letters, it won't go through. Oh well. Oh wait...30 letters?

Off the top of my head some Capcom games I enjoyed this gen:

-Lost Planet
-Ace Attorney series (every single entry)
-Dead Rising
-Ghost Trick
-Street Fighter IV
-Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
-Monster Hunter Tri
-Megaman ZX
-Zak and Wiki
-Resident Evil 4 Wii
-Ghost Trick

Yes, Ghost Trick deserves to be repeated 2 times

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I keep getting this error even if I have 60 characters or less: Please type in your message within 60 letters

Kopite

Thanks for everything prior to this gen Capcom. Hope you're back to your best next gen. Starting with Deep Down.

And for the love of god don't let anyone involved with RE6 anywhere near another RE game.

zainetor

Banned
Now that I think about it, I havent bought a capcom game since Re5 in 2009.It's really strange for me, to think They were probably my favorite software house last gen, along with SEGA. I even bought the gamecube only to play Re.
But know...Ugh.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I said: Congrats! Thnx 4 BreathOfFire!

jett

D-Member
I just realized the only current-gen Capcom games I currently own this generation are games they didn't even make themselves. :lol (MM9, Bionic Commando RE-armed and DmC)

Congrats for their storied history, but no congrats for this gen.

daniels

Now why would I want to to congratulate Capcom for cancelling Mega Man, rebooting Dante in DmC, closing down Clover, releasing a game that has paid DLC in the disk and not localizing Ex Trooper.

Capcom needs to earn it by releasing good games that I actually want to play rather than ask for it.

Well they almost single handedly saved the fighting game genre this generation... that has to count for something right?

Korigama

Congratulations on not even being half the company that you used to be.
Well they almost single handedly saved the fighting game genre this generation... that has to count for something right?
If by "almost single handedly saved the fighting game genre" you mean just bothered to make them after forgetting about them for years, then sure. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have ceased to exist if not for the almighty and gracious Capcpom, SAVIOR OF FIGHTING GAMES.

I am so sick of hearing that crap.

hwy_61

Banned

If by "almost single handedly saved the fighting game genre" you mean just bothered to make them after forgetting about them for years, then sure. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have ceased to exist if not for the almighty and gracious Capcpom, SAVIOR OF FIGHTING GAMES.

Truth hurts I guess.

Korigama

Truth hurts I guess.
I have never seen a shred of truth to it. Capcom fighters generally sell well, anything else sells no better or worse than what it already did. Saying that Capcom fighters helped get people more interested in other games has been nothing more than conjecture, rather than having any actual evidence to back it up.

If there were something more substantial to prove it, then I could admit to being wrong about it.

jett

D-Member
Capcom revived the genre and then killed it again with yearly retail updates. Dat Capcpom. The FGC keeps growing though, so that's something at least.

Congrats Capcom, keep investing in new IPs but do it more wisely, don't do it at the end of the generation and market them properly.

kick51

Banned

(must. not. taunt. the. salt.)

They didn't forget about them. It's just that so many others copied them in the early 90s and quickly saturated the market to the point where it couldn't recover in the late 90s and early to mid 00s.

They kept making them a long time after the complete market saturation happened too, but they weren't selling. So after the shitacular CFE, they chilled until they could put out something really quality and worthy-- SF4.

and also, I suspect it's a lot of first gaming gens for people here? Cause Capcom has been the most up and down developer throughout their entire career. That includes the NES days. The current situation is nothing new for them at all. Then they'll make a comeback, put out a ton of awesome stuff, then fall off again. mark it.

I hated them a lot in the past month, yet they made a lot (Even this generations) games I love.

So thank you Capcom for Vampire Savior, Dragon's Dogma, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, CVS2, Mahvel Baybee, Bio2, Megaman X4, 3rd Strike, Devil May Cry 1 and 3, Ghouls n Goblins etc.

You better get back to form on PS4.

NewGame

Banned
60 characters?! I am clearly typing 60 characters and it's not submitting!

"You make wonderful games and ageless memories, never change!"

Becomes

"Wonderful games"

Whatever Capcpom you will never hear my revelaitons about you.

Skilletor

They didn't forget about them. It's just that so many others copied them in the early 90s and quickly saturated the market to the point where it couldn't recover in the late 90s and early to mid 00s.

They kept making them a long time after the complete market saturation happened too, but they weren't selling. So after the shitacular CFE, they chilled until they could put out something really quality and worthy-- SF4.

and also, I suspect it's a lot of first gaming gens for people here? Cause Capcom has been the most up and down developer throughout their entire career. That includes the NES days. The current situation is nothing new for them at all. Then they'll make a comeback, put out a ton of awesome stuff, then fall off again. mark it.

Meanwhile, most of the companies making fighting games today continued to make fighting games when Capcom didn't want to be assed to do so along with smaller companies (like whoever made Arcana Hearts, and other fighters of that ilk).

They didn't save fighting games, they just made something for capcom fans to play. Which, admittedly, is a lot of people.

Capcom revived the genre and then killed it again with yearly retail updates. Dat Capcpom. The FGC keeps growing though, so that's something at least.

Yearly updates didn't kill the genre and if it did, Capcom isn't even the worst offender.

Monetization post-POS killed the genre, SFxT didn't even have a yearly update!

Korigama

I personally don't care much for SFIV (preferred 3S), but more power to anyone who does. Either way, it's difficult to be salty about them not paying any real attention to them last gen: they were still a much stronger company than they are now, even without fighters. They just seem to be credited for something that they don't deserve (nor any other company in particular).

The most that can be said is that SFIV helped bolster interest in competitive play in the FGC. Saying it resulted in a "revival" of the entire genre comes off as hyperbolic.
So you believe they declined during the SNES and PS1 eras too, then? Unless you're just commenting that they have mixed output of quality games and lesser ones, which is something that can be said of any publisher during any gen.

Top Bottom