• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Connecting SNES Classic Controllers to PC?

shockdude

I'm really looking forward to playing SNES games with genuine hardware soon. Then I realized I could use SNES Classic controllers with Wii VC. Then I realized there must be a way to connect Wii Classic Controllers, and by extension SNES Classic Controllers, to PC. Oh boy.

This Mayflash adapter is the first one I found. Any impressions of it, particularly input lag? Any better wired options?
I also hear you can connect Wii Remotes to PC using Bluetooth; does that work well? What's the best driver to use?

McCoolName

Neo Member
The Wiimote works perfectly fine for me. I use the USB-BT400 from Asus, and that's pretty much all you need if your PC doesn't have Bluetooth by default.

I was considering making a separate topic, but I may as well ask here. Would the SNES Classic controller work via adapter on the Switch? Might be good for those eventual virtual console on the games and if I fancy a change from the Pokken controller.

There really needs to be an easier way to do this. Nintendo should release their own official adapter and sell the controllers by themselves. I would rather buy the real thing than all the crappy 3rd party replicas.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I was considering making a separate topic, but I may as well ask here. Would the SNES Classic controller work via adapter on the Switch? Might be good for those eventual virtual console on the games and if I fancy a change from the Pokken controller.

Not as of now it doesn't.

shockdude

Thanks for all the responses.

I read the reviews for the Mayflash adapter and I'm concerned about its reliability and functionality (DPAD mapped to hat switch and buttons at the same time? what?).
How does this adapter map the buttons?

I'm gonna try using a Wiimote bluetooth driver first, hopefully it works well enough.

Edit: This HID Wiimote driver works great. Can't notice any input lag. Though I will say the Wiimote's DPAD is pretty awful; it's tiny and refuses to do diagonals.
Main downsides to the driver is it requires disabling driver signature enforcement, which is a pain. It also prevents Dolphin Emulator from hooking into the Wiimote, but that's easily fixed by swapping drivers in Device Manager.

Edit 2: The HID Wiimote driver is pretty impressive. In Dolphin Emulator it's about 1.5 frames faster than my laptop keyboard & about .5 frames slower than a Wii U Gamecube adapter.
I might do more formal measurements if my SNES Classic arrives in time for the weekend.

How does this adapter map the buttons?

The default mapping don't matter as every emulator or steam application has full mapping options which you would use anyway. And if you really run into issues like dinput or xinput support then there are programs like xpadder or joy2key.

I have that exact adapter and it's perfect. Latency is better than Wii U SNES VC.

I own this adapter and it works with no perceivable lag. I am very sensitive to lag (aka trust me I am expert!), so for me I can say it is worth the purchase. Raphnet makes flawless stuff from what I have read so I would trust their product as well. I just cant give my personal endorsement.

The Mayflash works fantastically with my classic controllers which were go-to for me for the longest time. Those likely being replaced by these amazing SNES reissues.

shockdude

The default mapping don't matter as every emulator or steam application has full mapping options which you would use anyway. And if you really run into issues like dinput or xinput support then there are programs like xpadder or joy2key.
But it doesn't double-map buttons like the Mayflash adapter does, right?
Also does it map DPAD to hat switch or to primary XY axis?

Though based on impressions in this thread maybe the Mayflash's double-mapping isn't a big deal...

El Sabroso

Mayflash adapter didn't worked for me connecting the Super Famicom Classic controllers, those don't register any input at all, while the NES classic does register inputs, and every other controller I throw at it, not worth the investment, adapting a wiimote with the driver posted above is way better even if is a BT connection

shockdude

Edit: The Mayflash adapter occasionally drops held buttons or presses random buttons. Very noticeable in F-Zero. That's not good.
Original post is as follows:

My Mayflash adapter came in today. Works perfectly.

Decided to compare input lag between RetroArch BSNES on PC vs. my SNES Classic. Went into Street Fighter II > Options > S.E. Test and measured the time from pressing Y to the S.E. Test number changing using my phone's slowmo camera.
SNES Classic: 57ms (stddev 5.5ms)
RetroArch BSNES with HID Wiimote: 65ms (stddev 7.9ms)
RetroArch BSNES with Mayflash Adapter: 56ms (stddev 6.4ms).

So basically you can match SNES Classic input lag on PC using the Mayflash adapter. If you had a faster computer (increase RetroArch Frame Delay), you could probably go even lower. Awesome.

On a side note, the SNES Classic has a ton of audio lag compared to RetroArch. It's so noticeable you don't even need to measure it.

Laurent

Mayflash adapter didn't worked for me connecting the Super Famicom Classic controllers, those don't register any input at all, while the NES classic does register inputs, and every other controller I throw at it, not worth the investment, adapting a wiimote with the driver posted above is way better even if is a BT connection

Using my Club Nintendo Super Famicom Wii controller (which should be the equivalent of a Super Famicom Classic controller), the Mayflash adapter registers every input EXCEPT the shoulder buttons (L and R), but it works flawlessly with my Wii Classic Controller on all buttons, which is quite frustrating since I hate this controller. :/

Top Bottom