• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservatives defend Mike Pence not interacting with women cause they might have sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

azyless

Maybe it's just me and maybe it's unfair, but I can't not read any of these source arguments and not parse: "I don't trust myself to be around a woman who isn't in my immediately family.".
Considering he calls his wife "mother" I wouldn't even rule that out.

new one, women = ice cream

3D9Ifu7.png

THERES A THING CALLED CONSENT.

Are they all potential rapists?
What the fuck?

I'm not gonna lie, I initially thought this tweet was satirical, because this logic is so horrifyingly bad that I burst out laughing.

Maybe it's just me and maybe it's unfair, but I can't not read any of these source arguments and not parse: "I don't trust myself to be around a woman who is in my immediately family."

That's a real fucking problem.

Well, it was certainly a problem for Bill Clinton and led to his impeachment.

I (unfortunately) grew up in a conservative Christian environment like I imagine Pence is from. This is not necessarily about acting on impulses; they see lust itself as a sin, and they think that a man putting himself in a one-on-one situation with a woman can lead to lustful thoughts. Basically the same reason why Muslim women wear burqas.

Silraru

Do you even read your own posts?

People outing their toxic attitudes towards women/relationships in this thread.

Yes, I do read my own post. I don't think there is anything wrong with him choosing not to have meals alone with a woman other than his wife as a way of protecting himself and his family. If you feel that I am being toxic towards women and relationships from thinking this way, then so be it. Seriously, infatuations can start over a meal or even an innocent comment. Somehow, I feel many here do not think infidelity can start from an innocent meal or time alone with opposite sex.

Poppy

Yes, I do read my own post. I don't think there is anything wrong with him choosing not to have meals alone with a woman other than his wife as a way of protecting himself and his family. If you feel that I am being toxic towards women and relationships from thinking this way, then so be it. Seriously, infatuations can start over a meal or even an innocent comment. Somehow, I feel many here do not think infidelity can start from an innocent meal or time alone with opposite sex.

THE GODDAMN VICE PRESIDENT DUDE

siganddaxter

Neo Member
I'm pretty far left, and given his position as a VP it's kinda absurd to say you won't get lunch with a woman.

But also, to the slightest degree I understand the sentiment.

Men and women do have a natural tendency of there is attraction to flirt and develop feelings it literally can't be stopped over a long period of time.

That doesn't mean you'd act on it, I avoid 1 on 1s with women from my past I know to be dangerous to my relationship. That doesn't even mean sex, it means I don't want to have feelings towards another woman, so I try to avoid situations where it could happen.

It isn't labeling women as property, it isn't even about sex. It's just about what it takes for you as a person to be the best husband you can be.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm pretty far left, and given his position as a VP it's kinda absurd to say you won't get lunch with a woman.

Men and women do have a natural tendency of there is attraction to flirt and develop feelings it literally can't be stopped over a long period of time.

That doesn't mean you'd act on it, I avoid 1 on 1s with women from my past I know to be dangerous to my relationship. That doesn't even mean sex, it means I don't want to have feelings towards another woman, so I try to avoid situations where it could happen.

It isn't labeling women as property, it isn't even about sex. It's just about what it takes for you as a person to be the best husband you can be.

While this is true. Any adult with any kind of self control and common sense should be able to avoid these kinds of issues like they avoid falling off the edge of a building. Its not rocket science or running a marathon.

HE IS THE VICE PRESIDENT. He HAS TO meet with women in private, in confidence in order to do his job effectively.

I wouldn't judge a fellow GAFer for setting these ground rules with their spouse, because people can do whatever they want as long as it's not harming anyone else -- but fellow GAFers are not the fucking Vice President of the United States. If "maintaining your marriage" means not being able to perform the duties of your job, then it's time to find a new career. Period. Full stop. The end.

collige

Banned

There's a pretty fucking big difference between women from your past and all women though.

Peltz

Read what you wrote.

Infatuations can also start just by looking at someone too. Does that mean Pence should avert his eyes when he sees someone of the opposite sex? Or maybe we should just have women cover up from head to toe so that Pence isn't tempted?

See where this is going? Eating food with another human being is not sexual at all. It can be sexual. Just like how looking at someone can be sexual. But to say you can't eat with a woman just because she is a woman is pretty fucking sexist, man.

Eating food is not sexual and has no sexual connotations. My boss is a woman and she took me out to lunch to get to know me after she hired me. It would be absurd and sexist to say "no" to that situation and cite "because you're a woman" as the reason.

It's a total objectification of the opposite sex to be that way and is wrong no matter how you try to slice and dice it.

HE IS THE VICE PRESIDENT. He HAS TO meet with women in private, in confidence in order to do his job effectively.

I wouldn't judge a fellow GAFer for setting these ground rules with their spouse, because people can do whatever they want as long as it's not harming anyone else -- but fellow GAFers are not the fucking Vice President of the United States. If "maintaining your marriage" means not being able to perform the duties of your job, then it's time to find a new career. Period. Full stop. The end.

Hey man, I WOULD judge a fellow gaffer for setting these ground rules with their spouse. They're really that absurd. Business lunches have to happen and sometimes they happen with people of the opposite sex. It's how the world works. Anyone who sets these ground rules with their spouse has got some serious issues either related to trust or the opposite sex (or both).

shandy706

Ironically....this is one of the reasons why I do hang out with women.

What a bunch of idiots. How big of a lack of self control can one have??!

The Vice-President either:

A. Fears himself so irresistible that potentially any woman will come on to him and he has no self-control.

B. Is a rapist.

This is not something that should be said by someone in a position that requires yourself to look good, like I don't know, the second-most recognizable U.S. representative.

HStallion

This basically confirms that a lot of Republicans are basically rapists in waiting at least. They can't even be alone with a woman or they might turn into rape crazed monsters with no self control

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
In a more general sense about being the best *spouse* possible, I would think that would have to allow for natural ebb and flow of feelings over the course of a decades long relationship in a life hopefully still richly lived to its fullest, because each person accounts for intent more than circumstance and doesn't allow knee-jerk jealousy to cloud judgment in appreciating the immediate happiness of their partner.

Pau

Sure, infatuations can start from that. But if it's something that you do professionally for men, then it should be something you also do professionally for women.

Hey man, I WOULD judge a fellow gaffer for setting these ground rules with their spouse. They're really that absurd. Business lunches have to happen and sometimes they happen with people of the opposite sex. It's how the world works. Anyone who sets these ground rules with their spouse has got some serious issues either related to trust or the opposite sex (or both).

I mean. To be fair, I would actually judge them, too, but I probably wouldn't call them out or make a stink about it like I am with Pence. Ultimately, when it comes to a GAFer, it's none of my business.

But I'd still judge.

Silently.

riotous

Banned
Flirting and attraction can happen under any circumstances, not just being alone.

The "adult" way to handle it is to not think to much of that sort of thing for yourself or your spouse. Oh no, my wife might get flirted with or flirt... holy shit what am I going to do now? WHY ME GOD WHY MEEEEE?

In my opinion having this sort of suffucating strictness in a relationship is more likely to lead to infidelity or unhappiness than not worrying too much about it.

driggonny

Banned
What a baffling attitude. It's one thing to not trust yourself drinking, but to not be alone with a woman at all? Ridiculous. Having dinner or whatever shouldn't be some crazy risky thing to do... we're all just people trying to live our lives. I guess he's never had a galpal before. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Damaniel

Banned
Not interacting with non-familial women due to religious beliefs? Saudi Arabia approves.

It's sad that Mike Pence feels he has so little self control that he has to isolate himself from other women to contain his carnal desires.

Nanashrew

Banned
Flirting and attraction can happen under any circumstances, not just being alone.

The "adult" way to handle it is to not think to much of that sort of thing for yourself or your spouse. Oh no, my wife might get flirted with or flirt... holy shit what am I going to do now? WHY ME GOD WHY MEEEEE?

In my opinion having this sort of suffucating strictness in a relationship is more likely to lead to infidelity or unhappiness than not worrying too much about it.

Feels like there's no trust in their relationship at all and why they're so strict.

Not interacting with non-familial women due to religious beliefs? Saudi Arabia approves.

It's sad that Mike Pence feels he has so little self control that he has to isolate himself from other women to contain his carnal desires.

If these damnable loose woman would stop enticing our guy Mike with their ankle revealing pants suits, then maybe he could enjoy his well done steak.

While this is true. Any adult with any kind of self control and common sense should be able to avoid these kinds of issues like they avoid falling off the edge of a building. Its not rocket science or running a marathon.

True, but all of this comes off very self serving. It's like they're patting themselves on the back for doing what's essentially expected of any responsible married man, or chaste man for that matter. And Pence isn't the first instance of a public official known for touting this. The Reverend Billy Graham was know for quoting this in Time Magazine back in the mid 1990's when he was running his Samaritan Purse and was beginning the process of passing his torch onto his son, Franklin.

True, but all of this comes off very self serving. It's like they're patting themselves on the back for doing what's essentially expected of any responsible married man, or chaste man for that matter. And Pence isn't the first instance of a public official known for touting this. The Reverend Billy Graham was know for quoting this in Time Magazine back in the mid 1990's when he was running his Samaritan Purse and was beginning the process of passing his torch onto his son, Franklin.

I'm sorry? What?

kewlmyc

I'll cut him some slack on this one. It's a religious thing. It's stupid, but at least he has a somewhat decent personal reason for doing it.

HStallion

Oh it totally is. They're basically patting themselves on the back for not sleeping with a random women they spent 30 seconds in an elevator or raping a woman they had a business meeting with. Its not just that they're patting themselves on the back but doing so over not being horrific abusers with no self control. Its like,"Congratulations for being not a total complete piece of shit! If only all Republicans could not be total rapists and treat women as things like you guys!"

I'll cut him some slack on this one. It's a religious thing. It's stupid, but at least he has a somewhat decent personal reason for doing it.

I wouldn't call not wanting to be alone with women out of fear you won't be able to hold yourself back from having sex with them "decent". It sounds pretty fucked up actually.

It's really weird how all these schmucks immediately assume that anyone is interested in having sex with the human equivalent of a saltine cracker.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The intentions might seem "noble" if you squint really hard, are nearsighted, and standing maybe 100 feet away, but the actual motivations and justifications for it are totally fucked up.

Derwind

Not fucking random people you meet IE cheating.

To the GOP that defend Pence, fucking people in any social or professional encounter is to be expected from themselves, so the only way they can truly be a good Christian is too physically remove the opposite sex from their presence no matter the context.

Staffer: "Sir, sorry to interrupt you during lunch but we just got an urgent upd-"

Pence: "Leave and have Sean send me an email."

Staffer: "But Sir this i-"

Pence: "LEAVE" *whimpers out a prayer*

Azuran

Banned
And people believe this creep would be a better president than Cheeto. Mike Pence is worse because he actually believes the crap that spews out of his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom